Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

w00tazn posted:

5X only has a single front facing speaker... also gorilla glass 3 what?

Stats pages I've found say stereo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Orders are now showing 3-4 weeks. Yep, gonna wait till November.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mrit posted:

Stats pages I've found say stereo...

Google's tech specs page has it as a "single front-facing speaker". https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6102470?hl=en&rd=1

The 6p has dual stereo front-facing speakers

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

havenwaters posted:

Google's tech specs page has it as a "single front-facing speaker". https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6102470?hl=en&rd=1

The 6p has dual stereo front-facing speakers

Oh poo poo. Google did in fact dupe all the AP leaks.

We have a surprise. A terrible one.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Placed an order for a Nexus 6P with estimated delivery of November 5th - 6th. Has Google ever shipped out their Nexus devices early in the past?

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I've just ordered a 6P in the UK, expectations are early November.
This is to replace my apparently now outdated (and battery gobbling) Nexus 4. Will my hands suffer at the size difference?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

Wait, WHAT?!

e: specs on the page confirm. God damnit google.
Oh, and its made of plastic, too.
Material
Premium injection molded polycarbonate housing

Not made of metal and STILL no qi support?

Oh well I'm going back on the Note 5 bandwagon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FractionMan posted:

I've just ordered a 6P in the UK, expectations are early November.
This is to replace my apparently now outdated (and battery gobbling) Nexus 4. Will my hands suffer at the size difference?

When the Moto X 2014 came out I ordered it to replace my Moto X 2013. I had to return it as I just couldn't get comfortable with the larger phone despite having average sized hands.

I'm probably going to give it another try with a new Nexus...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Where's the best place for cheap cables? Guess I'm giving someone business for ~5 USB C ones...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Not really.
Marshmellow has been on N5s and N6s for months, and my previous nexus devices have all had the new version when they got sold IIRC.

They had the Preview of Marshmallow, not the full, complete OS. This is the first time the OTA hits before the new devices do. In the past, the complete OTA was always after.

Apparently, the 6P has an RGB notification light?

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

ruby idiot railed posted:

Not made of metal and STILL no qi support?

Oh well I'm going back on the Note 5 bandwagon.

The only reason I'm not pissed off about the qi support is due to the fact that my work phone supports it, so I can still use it for that. I can see myself getting frustrated with stepping away from it though on my personal phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

I passed on the protect. Just used my Amex, doubling the warranty for 2 yrs. Is everyone getting protect?

That just made me wonder if the eBay deal on the Monoprice S6 International version without a warranty wouldn't be a bad buy if I used my Amex through paypal to clear it. That's the only reason I didn't pick it up for the $430.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

TraderStav posted:

That just made me wonder if the eBay deal on the Monoprice S6 International version without a warranty wouldn't be a bad buy if I used my Amex through paypal to clear it. That's the only reason I didn't pick it up for the $430.

Doubling a 0-year warranty is still 0.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrBond posted:

Doubling a 0-year warranty is still 0.

Ah yes, it's not 'add a year', it's double... thanks for the clarification.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, it's add a year.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html

EDIT: Add a year for warranties one year or more, double for those less than one year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

On my SPG card it's:

quote:

Extended Warranty will extend the terms of the
original manufacturer's warranty for a period of
time equal to the duration of the original
manufacturer's warranty
, up to one (1) additional
year on warranties of five (5) years or less that
are eligible in the United States of America. (See
Description of Benefits Section.) The coverage
provided under this benefit is EXCESS of other
sources of indemnity.

Would have to check some of my other AMEX cards but I imagine the language would be the same, UP TO a year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Snagged a 6P ETA 11/5-9. I'll cancel the 5X order.
Not metal and still losing qi, no RAM or resolution increase, minor battery increase, single speaker...fuckit. I'll get the slightly bigger option that has those things.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Require More Fire posted:

Going to wait and see where reviews place the camera and battery on the 5x, if those rate higher than the 2014 Moto X I might splurge.

That's extremely likely given the camera and battery on the 14 X are nothing to write home about.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
5X now switched to "Coming Soon".

edit: Oh, the marketing page is coming soon but the store is open.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 29, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It interesting to watch this thread start to accept phablets. There was so much outrage last year

My wife is gonna have a 6p and I'm gonna be hella jealous

Boo on everyone for terrible contradicting Canadian info though. It's on the Google store.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

No, it's add a year.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html

EDIT: Add a year for warranties one year or more, double for those less than one year.

Right - the key part is it has to be supported by a warranty for at least some duration. It's *2, with a max benefit value of 1 year.

edit: it still works out great on electronics. The only thing it misses is accidental damage, but you'll probably know if you need that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.android.com/versions/marshmallow-6-0/features/

Looks like only USB Type-C support, Fingerprint Censors, and BT stylus support are only on the new phones. I guess there's hope for the new Camera app not sucking on the N6 and N5 yet!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

hotsauce posted:

Where's the best place for cheap cables? Guess I'm giving someone business for ~5 USB C ones...

Best I'm seeing is Cable Matters on Amazon, $9 each for 3ft, $10 for 6ft.
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Type-USB-C-Black/dp/B00S8GU2OC/

Edit: These are just USB2 though for data transfer if that matters to you.

Edit: 4-pack for $20:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colour-OnePlus-Supported-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B013RMG5WY/

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 29, 2015

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Monoprice if you don't have amazon prime amazon basics if you do

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrBond posted:

Right - the key part is it has to be supported by a warranty for at least some duration. It's *2, with a max benefit value of 1 year.

edit: it still works out great on electronics. The only thing it misses is accidental damage, but you'll probably know if you need that.

You're covered there also!

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/purchase-protection/faq.html

I love my Amex. Replaced broken screens, ripped/stained clothes, etc.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
5X looks nicer than I expected. I really like it. The 6P is a pass.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I'm really considering a 6p, but how do you turn the screen on to check a notification or mess around while its laying on a desk or something? Do you really have to pick it up, hit the power button unlock it then lay it down? I know I sound pretty but it would be a big annoyance for me.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
If you're in SF you can go check them out today:
https://plus.google.com/+Nexus/posts/4Yh3rW2X1zh

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apparently the 6P on T-Mobile doesn't have Band 12 or whatever. What exactly does this mean? I won't have the fastest caple service with T-Mo or what?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Apparently the 6P on T-Mobile doesn't have Band 12 or whatever. What exactly does this mean? I won't have the fastest caple service with T-Mo or what?

Basically it's their extended coverage band helps out where their coverage is spotty not as fast as other bands but better than nothing

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I forgot to check, the 6p will work on Verizon like the 6 did, right?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Isn't the big headache trying to get them to activate it on the network?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Reverse Centaur posted:

It interesting to watch this thread start to accept phablets. There was so much outrage last year

What else are people going to do? Not use a smartphone?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah its not so much accept as resign

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google-provided photos from the 5x and 6p:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/29/9417599/nexus-5x-6p-camera-photos-images

Of course, they'll be best-case scenarios...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BrownieVK posted:

I'm really considering a 6p, but how do you turn the screen on to check a notification or mess around while its laying on a desk or something? Do you really have to pick it up, hit the power button unlock it then lay it down? I know I sound pretty but it would be a big annoyance for me.
I would also like to know this. It's cool the 6P has an LED but between double tapping the LG screen or just reaching towards the Moto, I've gotten really spoiled on how easy it can be to get your notifications.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Band 12 is their 700 MHz band which helps with building penetration and it's not particularly wide-spread, even by T-Mobile terms. Your current phone probably doesn't have it (the list of phones that support it is very small), and if you're fine with your coverage, it's probably not a big deal.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Are we witnessing a non-terrible pre-order system for a Google product launch? Could it really be possible?

Tev
Aug 13, 2008
Just pre-ordered a 6P, very excited. Edit: to replace a first-gen Moto G no less, should be a nice upgrade.

Anyone care to explain (if we even know at this stage at all) the difference between what Google has listed on the specs sheet as "Fast Charging" compared to the Quick Charge capabilities on some phones that are currently out. Is it different because it's USB-C? Should I wait to buy any new battery packs, wall plugs, and cables til we know for sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tev posted:

Just pre-ordered a 6P, very excited.

Anyone care to explain (if we even know at this stage at all) the difference between what Google has listed on the specs sheet as "Fast Charging" compared to the Quick Charge capabilities on some phones that are currently out. Is it different because it's USB-C? Should I wait to buy any new battery packs, wall plugs, and cables til we know for sure?

Right now all indications are that it's probably different from QC2.0. I'd wait until we know for sure though.