Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

For casually renting out a 172 to cover costs and keep the plane flying (not for generating profit), what do you guys think is best:

-Dry Tach
-Dry Hobbs
-Wet Tach
-Wet Hobbs

And why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
When I was renting from a buddy it was dry hobbes.

Might be a pain if you are renting to a bunch of people.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Are you the renter or owners?

Edit:

To expand, as a renter you always want to take advantage of Tach time. Tach time is usually a lot less than Hobbs time. If the engine is at 1000RPM, the tach doesn't run as quickly. Tach time is basically time. When the tach/RPM is at "full power" is when the tach is going at a 1:1 ratio as Hobbs.

Hobbs however, clocks a true hour from the time the master is on (or oil pump/fuel pump) to when it's turned off.

As an owner you want to charge by Hobbs time. You make a little extra that way. Also, if you charge by hobbes time but do maintenance by tach time, you'll be able to pay for your oil changes and 100s with the "extra" money

I always rent DRY. That gives the renter a choice in fuel prices and locations. However, a case could be made for the renters leaning way too lean to avoid consuming too much fuel.

I have an EGT in my Cherokee and all that rent from me know exactly how to lean 50 degrees rich of peak (shut up anybody who disagrees with this)

So: Owner? Wet Hobbs is probably most lucrative. Followed by Dry Hobbs

Renter? Give me that dry tach time all day.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 25, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm the owner and excessive leaning is my fear with dry renting. I will be renting by dry Hobbs for now because it's much less complicated for me to deal with. I do not have CHT/EGT though so that makes me a little nervous.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sleepy gary posted:

I'm the owner and excessive leaning is my fear with dry renting. I will be renting by dry Hobbs for now because it's much less complicated for me to deal with. I do not have CHT/EGT though so that makes me a little nervous.

Can you expand on the airplane / engine?

If it's a Lycoming I just wouldn't worry about it. NOBODY I have ever met or flown with ever leans too much.

I hear a lot from the LOP boys but they are always in bonanzas where the cylinders don't last 1000 hours anyway.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Most people wont lean enough when they don't have gauges because of the roughness with carbureted engines.

the real way to save on fuel when dry renting is to run lower power settings and go slightly slower. Wet rates encourage the opposite of this.

I would just take the guy up and show him how you expect the plane to be flown with regards to leaning. Last owner had a bit of a mixture issue at idle and if you didn't lean on the ground you would have an unhappy engine by the time you taxied to the end of the runway. My cherokee had a similar issue but we were able to correct it unfortunately the other guy couldn't adjust the idle mixture lean enough without having a lovely transition.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Helno, tell him to rebuild his carburetor box. Is this a Cessna by any chance? I had the exact same problem in my Cessna 175. I could lean it as soon as I started the airplane and by the time I taxi'd down to do a run up it was completely fouled every single time. They adjusted the mixture cable but they finally fixed it when they rebuilt the carburetor I believe. I think it was only like $200 in parts or something to do it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Plane was sold a while ago it was a 69 172 with a o-320.

He figured it was an issue with the accelerator pump. In the end it was just easier to leave the idle mixture rich and lean during taxi.

My Cherokee was just set really rich at idle. Perhaps a previous owner lived at high altitude or something but it was set really rich. Engine transitions much better with it set properly but I still lean during taxi because why not.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you expand on the airplane / engine?

If it's a Lycoming I just wouldn't worry about it. NOBODY I have ever met or flown with ever leans too much.

I hear a lot from the LOP boys but they are always in bonanzas where the cylinders don't last 1000 hours anyway.

C172 Continental O-300

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Captain Apollo posted:

Can confirm this, with pictures of what happens when you don't lean a lycoming enough:

Hey, that pushrod looks like it's bent.
Yeah, it's bent. I wonder if the valve is stuck?
Yeah, It's stuck
Something isn't quite right with that valve guid.

Culprit was determined to be chronic excessively rich mixture leading to carbon buildup on the exhaust valve or it's seat. Eventually the piston slapped the valve which drove it back into the push rod which bent under the force and started trying to push the entire valve guide into the cylinder. In a testament to the durability of the mighty O-360 the engine continued to run on 3 cylinders for the ~5 or so minutes it took to land the airplane.

A few years later the same pilot was flying another O-360 powered 172 when some metal shavings dislodged and partially blocked the injector lines. He limped that one to a runway too.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Kodak, so what's the deal. As Mooney pilots we are all instructed to lean super aggressively on the ground. It's a part of our folk lore.

But I don't hear many Cessna or piper pilots talk about it. Hell, Beech Bonanzas take off full rich ALWAYS.

What's the deal? Are all Lycomings just set up to always be extra rich always? Or are the individual engine settings controllable between airplane manufacturers? Piper vs mooney etc etc

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Finally! The cockroach might die!

In a federal filing, Great Lakes Aviation officials said the company had defaulted on its loan,

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But then which airline will be used to threaten pilots?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I hope Mesa follows soon.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Republic, probably

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I rarely watch tv but caught the end of an episode of dangerous flights.

They were trying to find a mechanic to fix the heated windshield in an old plane and were discussing trolling the retirement homes to find someone familiar with the ancient 35 year old plane.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

35 years old?

Is this the cover of the POH?

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
I've flown planes which started flying in the 60s ...

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I have flown a total of 3 aircraft that are younger than I am. Two of them were only a couple years and the newest was a Da20.

Oldest is a 1947 cub and I have flown SGS 2-33a serial #3. Average probably ends up around the early 70's.

I'm sure some of you guys have flown older.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've only flown one that is younger than me - a Piper Meridian (no landings). The oldest I've been a passenger in was a Stearman and the oldest I've flown (no landings again) was a 182 from 1957. My 172 is from 1966 :ssh:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my school rented two new 172s. One is a P, and one is an R with 160hp and fuel injected and made in 98 and oh my god I am in loving love, and I kinda wanna to take i and fly it everywhere. (For context, been flying M and N
')

Bud, they're both 180hp. The initial email from the CFI was wrong, if you check the POH they've both been converted to 180. Relative to the beat to hell 70s vintage Ms we usually fly, they're like rockets. Use them while you can, they go back in March. Pretty sweet deal, we brought them in for the winter from the West Coast - they basically sit there all winter with BKN008 'erryday and no ability to go IFR due to icing.

Desi fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 28, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Desi posted:

Bud, they're both 180hp. The initial email from the CFI was wrong, if you check the POH they've both been converted to 180. Relative to the beat to hell 70s vintage Ms we usually fly, they're like rockets. Use them while you can, they go back in March. Pretty sweet deal, we brought them in for the winter from the West Coast - they basically sit there all winter with BKN008 'erryday and no ability to go IFR due to icing.

You have no idea how happy that phrase made me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Friend of mine that's getting his PPL had to send additional information to the FAA with regards to his medical certification (CPAP usage verification for sleep apnea). He submitted the info about a week ago. How long does it take the FAA to post it and update his medical to issue his medical certificate?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tide posted:

Friend of mine that's getting his PPL had to send additional information to the FAA with regards to his medical certification (CPAP usage verification for sleep apnea). He submitted the info about a week ago. How long does it take the FAA to post it and update his medical to issue his medical certificate?

It was about a month before I got mine, but all my information was sent in by the doctor. My examiner said one big factor is if it's able to be handled at the regional FSDO or has to go to Oklahoma City.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

It was about a month before I got mine, but all my information was sent in by the doctor. My examiner said one big factor is if it's able to be handled at the regional FSDO or has to go to Oklahoma City.

Thanks, I'll relay it to him. Said he was slow in getting the info from his doctor to his AME who sent off the medical report without it. He then sent the report direct to FAA.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Autumn has arrived... First CatIIIB Autoland of the season. Gah.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Animal posted:

I hope Mesa follows soon.

Preferably before they kill someone:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Regional-Jet-Scrapes-Wing-on-Runway-During-Landing-330035481.html

FYI, wind was <5KTS at the time that picture was taken.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'll have to ask my coworkers about that when I go in tomorrow. I bet that shut the runway down for a little bit for a FOD inspection.

The picture taken from the amateur photographer doesn't show the wing strike though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tide posted:

Thanks, I'll relay it to him. Said he was slow in getting the info from his doctor to his AME who sent off the medical report without it. He then sent the report direct to FAA.

The difference might be I was cleared of the sleep apnea and am not using a CPAP, so it might have been easier for the FSDO. I don't know how long him using the CPAP might slow the process down. All I know is I was urged to get the information to the FAA within 30 days and didn't end up having to send anything (to my surprise) because the AME had all the info they needed.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So the medical reform in the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 has been watered down a fair bit. With the new language:

• Pilots would still need to get a 3rd class medical at least once and it needs to have been in the past 10 years.
  • Pilots would need to complete an online medical education course once every 2 years.
  • Pilots would need to see a personal physician once every 4 years, log it in their logbooks and provide the doctor’s name and address and the date of the exam when they take the online medical course.
  • Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance process, but only once.

Which is great for the aging private pilot who wants to keep flying, less great for new potential pilots. Apparently this is what was needed to make ALPA happy.

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 2, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can you source where you got the 'keep ALPA' happy part?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Where are you seeing these changes? They aren't on the congress.gov site.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I saw kind of an informal Q/A on the AOPA website...Link here: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/September/30/AOPA-and-EAA-answer-questions-about-medical-reform

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Also,

please see this youtube video from Senator James Inhofe.

Also,

Upon second watch, he makes rather solid argument and coherent thoughts.

'People maintain personal relationships with their personal physician, and this isn't something that happens today because of the current regulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSASSH4dRk

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 2, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mesa rejected their TA by 86%; 80% participation.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
What about people who get denied medicals for bullshit reasons like ADD?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

You get to wait until a congressman gets denied a medical for a mental health reason.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you source where you got the 'keep ALPA' happy part?

I was basing it off of

quote:

“We’ve worked with the leaders of ALPA and addressed their concerns,” said Coon. “We’ve been told that they now believe that third class medical reform does not pose a safety risk.”

from http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/September/25/AOPA-says-medical-reform-is-closer-than-ever-before although rereading it they apparently objected to the amendment that apparently had the same provisions in it previously. Although that may have just been about attaching it to a highways bill.

edit:

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm not completely convinced ADD is a bullshit reason, although people struggling after being misdiagnosed as a kid is. And would probably have to go through the one-time SI route to prove it.

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 2, 2015

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

fordan posted:

people struggling after being misdiagnosed as a kid is. And would probably have to go through the one-time SI route to prove it.

I'm one of those kids, had to go through the special issuance route. The liberal diagnosis' of ADD is loving bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Tbh though the cockpit of a plane is definitely not the place to have ADD

• Locked thread