Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just used Apple Pay for the first time. Holy cow does that work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Feenix posted:

Yes, it's Youtube. But as far as Youtubes go, it's definitely cleaner than a 1080p.

Those screenshots don't have any shadowed area in them. There was really noticeable artifacting in the shadowed areas in your Youtube vid. Are those better on your computer? That kind of thing I feel like could go either way.

That being said, wow that's some clear video resolution for a phone. You could easily think that second screenshot was a photo. I haven't had a chance to test my phone's 4K yet (other than on the phone screen which tells you nothing). Goddamn that's impressive.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It's not the $100 it's the hassle. Exchanging the phone I already have (unopened) is going to be a pain and I only want to do it if I really need to.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Feenix posted:

Yes, it's Youtube. But as far as Youtubes go, it's definitely cleaner than a 1080p.

Here's a screen cap from Youtube: (not bad for being in fast motion...)

Here's a screen cap from the source .mov:

That is amazing! I was going to skip 4K video because I don't have a 4K TV but you just changed my mind.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ogmius815 posted:

It's not the $100 it's the hassle. Exchanging the phone I already have (unopened) is going to be a pain and I only want to do it if I really need to.

Take the pain now over the sustained ache until one to two years from now.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Wife has 5s, just got 6s in the mail. She doesn't use icloud because it's been out of space for a few years, and rarely backs up manually to her computer. Can she just back up her old phone manually, then activate the new phone, then restore it from the backup stored on her computer? I can't remember what's the smart way to do this.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Spend 99 cents a month on lots of iCloud space and don't worry about backup size.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

Spend 99 cents a month on lots of iCloud space and don't worry about backup size.

It's basically extortion. I may do it just so I don't have to get those drat emails every week. I don't even know what else I would keep on iCloud.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

jackpot posted:

Wife has 5s, just got 6s in the mail. She doesn't use icloud because it's been out of space for a few years, and rarely backs up manually to her computer. Can she just back up her old phone manually, then activate the new phone, then restore it from the backup stored on her computer? I can't remember what's the smart way to do this.

Yes, do this.

Also, do this:

Blinkz0rz posted:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

SteveMcQueen posted:

It's basically extortion. I may do it just so I don't have to get those drat emails every week. I don't even know what else I would keep on iCloud.

It's not a hill worth dying on. Just part of the cost of living in the apple ecosystem.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Wow, for some reason I thought it was a lot more expensive than that. I've never needed to do it, because I leave my phone plugged into my computer all day anyway; every once in a while I just hit 'backup.' But I think we both can spring for $12 a year.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 29, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It recently increased to 50gb for 1 dollar a month or something right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm curious, but how is your wife's iCloud out of space if she doesn't use it? The backup on a single phone shouldn't be anywhere near 5 GB if you turn of photo backup.

You each have 5 GB of space available if you so desire. That said, the $0.99 plan gives you 50 GB and that ought to be more than a enough for your phone and photos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you go to iCloud.com and log in, hit Settings it'll give a basic breakdown of what the space is used for on the account (I think on the device it might only tell you what that particular device uses).

It's a bit lame that they only give you 5gb per account and not an amount per device, but it's so cheap to upgrade finally it's no big deal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The 50gb isn't shared, eh? I have backup anxiety and I can't get my iPhone below 3.2gb even with all the apps turned off. Must be messages.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I'm curious, but how is your wife's iCloud out of space if she doesn't use it? The backup on a single phone shouldn't be anywhere near 5 GB if you turn of photo backup.
I haven't looked at hers in a while so I forget, but I think she uses some insane amount of space on Dropbox and Mail, and probably has Photos turned on too. And when I say she doesn't use it, I mean she has it turned on but gets "out of space" messages on a regular basis. She's never cared much about it so I've never gone out of my way to fix it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why is she backing Dropbox up to iCloud?? :psyduck:

EDIT: Battery life on my 6s seems vastly better than it was on my 6. I wonder if that battery somehow got fried in its year of use. I need to take it in for the crescent front camera, may as well get that checked, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Offsite backups, of course. Didn't you watch Mr. Robot?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SteveMcQueen posted:

No, it's not. Pay up or backup to the computer and forget frequently and then regret it when the phone craps out/gets stolen/water damaged. Automated backups cost money (not a free one I know of), they are worth it because they are a no brainer.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

What's a decent, thin and lightweight 6S case?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Donald Kimball posted:

What's a decent, thin and lightweight 6S case?

Don't waste your time. Just get the official leather case.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The casemate clear case is really loving good.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

Seconding this but if you want a cheaper option :

http://amzn.to/1L2zYVm

I have it and really like it.

Selane
May 19, 2006

God drat, you don't realize how much the leather case ages in a year until you replace it with a new one. This thing feels almost synthetic with how smooth it is compared to my year old 6 case, can't wait until it gets broken in a bit and gets nice and grippy again.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Seconding this but if you want a cheaper option :

http://amzn.to/1L2zYVm

I have it and really like it.

I got the Spigen Slim Armor for my 6s+ simply because it had a built in kickstand feature that is really awesome for having the phone on my desk as a mini notification center/whatnot.

I also got the verus wallet case when it was $6 with that promo code upthread.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So because an Apple rep screwed up my Apple Music account I lost all of my playlists AND all of the music I had synced to the device for offline. Problem is, there is 7GB of storage chewed up that I can't do anything with now, so I decided I might as well restore.

Well, I restore from iCloud backup and it appears I am being greeted by a wonderful bug. Device does its thing, restores and then goes to reboot but fails to actually BOOT again, just stuck at a white screen with black apple logo in the middle. Next step is restore from DFU mode and try again. This sucks.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I noticed a bunch of scratches on my new iPhone 6s Plus that were there when I bought it but I just noticed today. Will Apple exchange the phone if I'm on the upgrade plan for free? I get a new phone every year now so w/e I guess.

I thought these phones had tougher glass this generation.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Seriously best case in the whole world. Mine even came with a bunch of stretch marks and looks loving sick. Love that natural look.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As soon as Scotty time travels to our era and makes transparent leather, I'll get a leather case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got an Apple silicone case because I wanted orange. It's surprisingly nice.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've had the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal for a year and really like it. Only complaint would be that the metal's so thin that you can pretty easily bend it around places like the charging port. Not a big deal, you just bend it back. Also, the paint started to wear off on the sides, but I fixed that by taking a belt sander to it. :black101: Unpainted, beaten aluminum is honestly a really good look on this case, they should offer it.

Endless Mike posted:

Why is she backing Dropbox up to iCloud??
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, so I don't know. Probably has photo backup turned on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ddogflex posted:

Those screenshots don't have any shadowed area in them. There was really noticeable artifacting in the shadowed areas in your Youtube vid. Are those better on your computer? That kind of thing I feel like could go either way.

That being said, wow that's some clear video resolution for a phone. You could easily think that second screenshot was a photo. I haven't had a chance to test my phone's 4K yet (other than on the phone screen which tells you nothing). Goddamn that's impressive.

Yeah I'm not claiming it's the pure high quality unfiltered best poo poo on the market. Just that it is a NICE upgrade. And it'll be nice in the future for archived memories when higher defs are extremely commonplace.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

metavisual posted:

Same exact thing happened with me. On a 64GB model I got auth'ed for 109 up front, then got another charge for 83.39 from other/misc in Melville NY.
I panicked and almost called to report it to Amex.

Now a couple days later, it looks like the 83.39 posted, while the 109 is still sitting in "pending".

The 83.39 jives with my receipt from Citizens/Apple as my first payment. I believe someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the hold was what Apples puts on (3 months payment up front) until your loan gets fully approved and your first payment charged.
Ah, that makes sense now, as to why the two dollar amounts were different. The $109.74 auth they took on the day of purchase works out to be 3 x $36.58, which is the monthly payment for a 64GB model.

Had the second pending charge not been "other/misc" I would totally not have batted an eye at it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who almost got on the horn with Amex about it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So I'm thinking of making the switch from android to the iPhone 6s. I need a not huge phone that actually has a good camera. And android phones only put good specs into gigantic phones it seems, so the iPhone 6s is calling to me.

Is there anything I'm going to miss? I have all of my photos on Google photos, but that exists on iPhone too. I use an SD card for music, but that's a one time fix on the computer.

So besides the fact that android has apps to download MP3 for free, is there anything else I'll miss?

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So I'm thinking of making the switch from android to the iPhone 6s. I need a not huge phone that actually has a good camera. And android phones only put good specs into gigantic phones it seems, so the iPhone 6s is calling to me.

Is there anything I'm going to miss? I have all of my photos on Google photos, but that exists on iPhone too. I use an SD card for music, but that's a one time fix on the computer.

So besides the fact that android has apps to download MP3 for free, is there anything else I'll miss?

I miss the customizability/personalization, google keyboard/now, and contextual awareness, but everything else is great. Especially continuity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish Apple had multiple relationships with rating apps, because I don't find people in the UK use Yelp these days. Most of the time the info is out of date and reviews are years old. Trip Advisor seems to be the more 'go to' site here, would be useful if my OS knew that too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So the iOS 9.0.1 update was supposed to fix this problem with iCloud restores hanging (at the first reboot). It hasn't fixed it for me and my iCloud restores mysteriously fail. Great job Apple.

Edit : So when this issue happens its right after the iCloud Restore progress bar (about 4 minutes total) then it reboots followed by a vibrate, then loads this bright white screen with the black apple logo in the center and it will literally sit there until the battery dies or the phone rots and falls apart. iTunes detects the phone during this phase, sees the type, serial number, etc (cant list the apps installed). I power off, power back on and then I get the "swipe to upgrade" screen. I have tried multiple iCloud backups and it does the same thing.

The kicker is eventually it tells me iCloud restore failed and I end up with a somewhat screwy phone. All my apps restore but some launch and close instantly. Messages are not restored, etc.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 29, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Only other problem I'm having with my 6S other than that issue with wallet, the sounds for text messages, emails, etc. are pretty hit or miss. Sometimes it plays the sounds, other times it doesn't.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

aBagorn posted:

I got the Spigen Slim Armor for my 6s+ simply because it had a built in kickstand feature that is really awesome for having the phone on my desk as a mini notification center/whatnot.

I also got the verus wallet case when it was $6 with that promo code upthread.

I bought the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX and it's really good, also it protects the bottom while the official case doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I might have forgotten to sign out of iMessages before wiping my old iPhone; however I've removed it from Find my iPhone and my Apple ID associated products, factory reset the device and removed the SIM. I should be good to sell, right?