Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Zoness posted:

im a fan of ashling + 99 mountains

99 Arabian Nights mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pontius Pilate posted:

99 Arabian Nights mountains.

White-bordered AN mountains.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I play a Mono White Konda EDH. I just equip weapons from kamigawa block and stuff like butcher cleaver and try to beat face. It's the best. If you're EDH group is chill and plays fun tribal poo poo EDH is pretty fun but if you have grognards trying to infinite or hardlock the board I can see why people get frustrated with it.
Every time I see your avatar I think it's a very patriotic Pyramid Head.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
If you arent trying to recreate janky legacy combo decks in a 99 card singleton format then I dont even know what you are doing in life.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

gently caress this part of the metagame so much.

I'll quit out of multiplayer now if someone whines like this.

Yeah I'm p sure most diehard EDH players really want to be playing race for the Galaxy but don't know of any trad games besides magic. it still has everything but conflict is less direct. And it's actually made for multiplayer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

And it's actually made for multiplayer.
This is the main problem with EDH; Magic just isn't designed, at a fundamental rules & mechanics level, to be fun for more than 2 players.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

This is the main problem; Magic just isn't designed, at a fundamental rules & mechanics level, to be fun

too easy dohohohohoho

Realistically though I like that they make cards well-designed for EDH in the EDH such as TNN.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Entropic posted:

This is the main problem with EDH; Magic just isn't designed, at a fundamental rules & mechanics level, to be fun for more than 2 players.

Conspiracy is probably the closest I've had to Truly Fun Multiplayer Magic, but it still occasionally stalls out into an uncomfortable stalemate.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

Right. It's also really weird that a lot of people have this thing that it also MUST be magic cuz there's nothing else. It's like DND players thinking it's the end all be all when there are tons of games that better allow their diplomatic intrigue game that DND just wasn't meant for but people twist it so it kind vaguely works.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

redstormpopcorn posted:

Conspiracy is probably the closest I've had to Truly Fun Multiplayer Magic, but it still occasionally stalls out into an uncomfortable stalemate.

Conspiracy was sweet but even then all of the drafts I did ended up being 3v1 (just because I cast hydra omnivore, phage, pernicious deed, and 2 other giant bombs) or kingmaker. I Trumpet Blasted someone else's attack to kill my friend who was ahead of the rest of us by miles, which in turn allowed the 4th player to kill the other guy, and my deck didn't do anything besides draw 7 cards every time I cast Compulsive Research, so I put the pinging enchantment on my Barbed Shocker with 2 cards left in my deck and went out in style by pinging myself.

Conspiracy REALLY needed Lab Man. I saw a bunch of games come down to decking.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I have a lot of fun when I'm playing EDH with a group of grown friends who are chill, especially at someone's house instead of the lgs. I have significantly less fun playing edh at the lgs with whiners. It's not a format I can take seriously (despite having an expensive deck now) because of how lovely people act when they get attacked. I play a Sigarda deck with shitloads of swords, enchantments to buff sigarda, and cards that let me do everything possible to keep her alive. I'm going to attack someone as soon as she can, I'm not sure what people expect but it doesn't stop the whining. Just be selective who you play with, playing with weird old cards is pretty fun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I basically stopped trying figure out how to have fun with EDH when I found out about Cubes.

I don't have an EDH deck now, but I have a Peasant Cube and it's super fun.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

playing with weird old cards is pretty fun.

I love trying to explain why I don't have to pay the upkeep cost of creatures that I reanimate with Dreams of the Dead and flicker with Brago, as well as why they aren't permanently RFGd.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I'm p sure most diehard EDH players really want to be playing race for the Galaxy but don't know of any trad games besides magic. it still has everything but conflict is less direct. And it's actually made for multiplayer.

Quoting this, because Race for the Galaxy is a really fun game. Although gently caress some of the expansions, who the gently caress though that Prestige was a good thing?!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jenx posted:

Quoting this, because Race for the Galaxy is a really fun game. Although gently caress some of the expansions, who the gently caress though that Prestige was a good thing?!

Alien Artifacts + Base Set without the weird board thing is probably the best existing way to play although Scientific Cruisers might be a little too absurd.

Goals expansion was also ok but takeovers and prestige :laffo:. The only thing good about prestige was the search phase for more uplift cards.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 29, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Gatherer is down and the Wizards 404 page says (c) 2013 because of course it does. :smugwizard:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How/why do people play EDH without alcohol?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Booyah- posted:

How/why do people play EDH without alcohol?

Because I have to drive home afterwards mostly.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
The Tutelage deck doesn't seem to lose...anything? Whelming Wave but you've got Displacement Wave which can be a decent substitute. And there's that 2R anger of the gods substitute you can use. Maybe even roll into black for Languish/Dark Deal. The new mana bases confuse me a great deal.

I've got 2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and nearly everything else for the tutelage deck so I've been tinkering. Any ideas? Not much mill-related in the new set. Maybe something older that was previously overlooked will pop up?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Displacement Wave bounces your tutelage(s).

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I'm skipping standard for now. Nothing excites me, which is a loving shame.

Mardu/Abzan everywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

suicidesteve posted:

I love trying to explain why I don't have to pay the upkeep cost of creatures that I reanimate with Dreams of the Dead and flicker with Brago, as well as why they aren't permanently RFGd.

I thought I made a pretty exhaustive search of cards when putting my own Brago together but I must have either missed this or glossed over the implications of flickering. That is awesome.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm skipping standard for now. Nothing excites me, which is a loving shame.

Mardu/Abzan everywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Are you referring to the current standard or new standard which is at the end of the week?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

Are you referring to the current standard or new standard which is at the end of the week?

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Then you should wait a week and BFZ/Khans standard will start and change things up a bit! :)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Ah, the old "Edh is fun/no it's not" chat. If it's your first time, welcome. If not, see you again in 2 and a half months when we do it all again!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That was half a page ago. We're onto the metacommentary part of the thread now.

Also, I have 2 Jaces that I opened in draft/prizes. Am I supposed to sell these or buy two more? :ohdear:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Count Bleck posted:

I think the new standard is going to stink and be boring from my bad opinion viewpoint.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

odiv posted:

That was half a page ago. We're onto the metacommentary part of the thread now.

Also, I have 2 Jaces that I opened in draft/prizes. Am I supposed to sell these or buy two more? :ohdear:

Donate them to forums user rear end catchcum

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I think the new standard is going to stink and be boring from my bad opinion viewpoint.

The new standard will be amazing and very good and you should go out and buy Battle for Zendikar packs this weekend from my Wizards of the Coast spokesperson viewpoint.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Is the new mulligan rule in effect for stuff today? Or only when BFZ launches?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I beleive it's official for everything as of the prerelease, not just temporarily.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Booyah- posted:

I beleive it's official for everything as of the prerelease, not just temporarily.

Yep, starting with the prerelease.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

We had no idea from all the posts you haven't been making about it. :v: I also think deciding whether or not a Standard will be boring is kinda premature; I'd at least wait until the first Open to see what crazy poo poo people will bring out.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
are BFZ cards legal in modern now or at the official release date?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Molybdenum posted:

are BFZ cards legal in modern now or at the official release date?

They are legal on Friday. Technically, a promo card from the prerelease was already legal in Legacy (and nothing else), but they just fixed that loophole in the tournament reules.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The logic is that cards from supplemental products are legal in Legacy, and a bunch of BFZ cards were in the Zendikar vs Eldrazi duel decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The logic is that cards from supplemental products are legal in Legacy, and a bunch of BFZ cards were in the Zendikar vs Eldrazi duel decks.
The original wording of the Legacy format was "[a]ll promotional cards are legal in the Legacy format on the date of the release of the promotional card." I think this is because they used to issue promotional cards like Sewers of Estark, Arena or Mana Crypt which weren't actually in any set at all. Cards in Duel Decks are legal by virtue of being part of a "set" - Duel Decks are listed as a set within Gatherer.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
silver bullet for lantern control: gaea's blessing? damned if they mill, damned if they don't. probably too focused though, what other matchup would you ever bring it in against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Angry Grimace posted:

The original wording of the Legacy format was "[a]ll promotional cards are legal in the Legacy format on the date of the release of the promotional card." I think this is because they used to issue promotional cards like Sewers of Estark, Arena or Mana Crypt which weren't actually in any set at all. Cards in Duel Decks are legal by virtue of being part of a "set" - Duel Decks are listed as a set within Gatherer.

So is that why gatherer is awful for promo and alternative versions of cards? And I just assumed it was wotc and something digital (it's probably this still).

• Locked thread