Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

If that's the most spike lee, I never want to see his movies

Eh, The story probably would have been pretty good, if you know they didn't just jumps months and months ahead without any linking scenes for context. Like they had to do in this game.

It honestly seems like a bunch of College scenes were cut which probably would have gone through Freq meeting his girl, and other stuff.

I like the idea of the story, just wish that there was either more of it so everything didn't just seem so sporadic and tossed at you , or you had more choices with it, but that would have taken waaaay more dev time than the year or less timewise he had to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not the lack of choices or context of story, the scenes were just meandering forever and ever about nothing in a very boring way, or really annoying in most of Dom's scenes or the team owner.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah its worthless and Ill never play mycareer again. Until next year.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
As somebody who is fairly new to the 2k series (played a good bit of 14 and 15 but only on PC. Playing 16 on Xbox One), I just tried out some MyTeam gauntlet and it was immediately evident that I am terrible at this game.

The part that stood out the most was defense. 1-on-1 defense feels very unresponsive especially when you switch to an AI that is standing in the middle of nowhere (as somebody mentioned before, it seems off the ball AI goes pants on head retarded in 3 v 3). It feels like to me that the only way to recover is to turbo back into position. As soon as I do that, I get caught out of position and my opponent just blows by me.

Dribbling is almost as bad. As an example, when I try to crossover, the defense just gets in my space and disrupts my dribble. When I do the same to them, I get shook and they dunk on my face.

What can I do to get used to some of the finer mechanics of the game?

Also, again, as somebody new to the online world of 2k, what modes do most people stick to?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ouhei posted:

Overall while it was an interesting way to put more story into a sports game, I don't think MyCareer was the best place to put a fully scripted out, on the rails story. I would love to see them continue to have more story in the MyCareer mode, but they need to add some agency back in to it, because it didn't feel like it was my career at all. I'm wondering how much season 2 will just ignore all that story stuff...

They did a really good job (although cheesy and amateurish) with this in the next gen version of 2k14. Like, you actually got to choose whether to go for the (same) sleezy agent or stick with your friend, and you could get scammed by people trying to get money for their new energy drink or whatever, all sorts of poo poo. Lots of decisions and drama without it being totally on rails. Obviously, the voice acting and stuff wasn't even close to the quality it is this year but the player actually had agency and was able to make decisions instead of it just being a bad 90 minute movie with some basketball games that didn't mean anything thrown in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TJChap2840 posted:

As somebody who is fairly new to the 2k series (played a good bit of 14 and 15 but only on PC. Playing 16 on Xbox One), I just tried out some MyTeam gauntlet and it was immediately evident that I am terrible at this game.

The part that stood out the most was defense. 1-on-1 defense feels very unresponsive especially when you switch to an AI that is standing in the middle of nowhere (as somebody mentioned before, it seems off the ball AI goes pants on head retarded in 3 v 3). It feels like to me that the only way to recover is to turbo back into position. As soon as I do that, I get caught out of position and my opponent just blows by me.

Dribbling is almost as bad. As an example, when I try to crossover, the defense just gets in my space and disrupts my dribble. When I do the same to them, I get shook and they dunk on my face.

What can I do to get used to some of the finer mechanics of the game?

Also, again, as somebody new to the online world of 2k, what modes do most people stick to?

Honestly with most of these games I recommend playing a point guard in MyCareer for a bit to get used to all of the nuances of the controls. I always pick an inside scoring PG when first starting so it pretty much forces me to learn how to drive and play against the CPU. Once I figure out that system everything else is pretty easy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Double-tap shoot for the spin move is this year's OP abusive move. AI always jumps to block it, you get a blocking foul, or since you stop on a dime, pass it to an open guy because the off-ball AI thought you were done. It's not like previous games where spinning makes you easier to lose the ball. The ball is ironically very loose everytime except when spinning.

I have like 4 blocks upgrade into ball handling, so it's not like a high requirement either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

Double-tap shoot for the spin move is this year's OP abusive move. AI always jumps to block it, you get a blocking foul, or since you stop on a dime, pass it to an open guy because the off-ball AI thought you were done. It's not like previous games where spinning makes you easier to lose the ball. The ball is ironically very loose everytime except when spinning.

I have like 4 blocks upgrade into ball handling, so it's not like a high requirement either.

Eh, I'm always getting the ball swiped out of my hand when doing that move.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Dexo posted:

Honestly with most of these games I recommend playing a point guard in MyCareer for a bit to get used to all of the nuances of the controls. I always pick an inside scoring PG when first starting so it pretty much forces me to learn how to drive and play against the CPU. Once I figure out that system everything else is pretty easy.

Ya. My usual has been to start a balanced PG but with the hilariously bad starting rating I'm not having an easy time. Thanks for the help though. I'll try to focus more on what is actually going on during the game as well. I do tend to plan things before they happen but am not good enough to recover if my plan is blown up. I just try to brute force it once that happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TJChap2840 posted:

Ya. My usual has been to start a balanced PG but with the hilariously bad starting rating I'm not having an easy time. Thanks for the help though. I'll try to focus more on what is actually going on during the game as well. I do tend to plan things before they happen but am not good enough to recover if my plan is blown up. I just try to brute force it once that happens.

Yeah, at low levels you have to abuse Pick and rolls use them to get the space necessary to drive when you don't have the ratings to just cross up and blow by someone. Also real useful at getting comical amounts of assists at low ratings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dexo posted:

Eh, I'm always getting the ball swiped out of my hand when doing that move.

Are you just double-tapping or holding it after the tap?

I usually start the spin before any contact.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Time saving tip, asking to get out of the game will skip the whole Jordan post-game show.

Edit: do not ever use this function. Just realized you only get your game salary even if you ask out with 5 seconds left. That's hosed up.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 28, 2015

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Maybe I'm just used to playing with sliders, but this year's version seems way harder than 2k15. I just had a game where the Thunder scored 68 points in the paint, most of which were players just dribbling straight into the paint while all my defenders just stood there, no matter what I did to my defensive settings and points of emphasis. As long as I'm complaining about ~*~realism~*~ in my basketball video game, I would have liked to have seen Ibaka have to leave the game with an injury after this one:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

You can get 600-800 VC in MyCareer each time if you set your difficulty to Hall of Fame (and maybe 12 min quarters) then just sim to the end of the game. You may want to create a new MyCareer for this. I think it's based on salary then x2 for HoF. Ask for more money when negotiating a contract, too.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Inside Outside posted:

Maybe I'm just used to playing with sliders, but this year's version seems way harder than 2k15. I just had a game where the Thunder scored 68 points in the paint, most of which were players just dribbling straight into the paint while all my defenders just stood there, no matter what I did to my defensive settings and points of emphasis. As long as I'm complaining about ~*~realism~*~ in my basketball video game, I would have liked to have seen Ibaka have to leave the game with an injury after this one:

It is way harder than 2K15. I'm just a scrub that's bad at these games, but I loaded up 2K15 today to compare and even on lowly pro difficulty it's a far easier game than 2K16 is for me on pro (this is doing full games, not MyCareer).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, I put the difficulty down to rookie at least until I can figure defense out and I'm still having stretches where I get murdered one after another in the paint. Last night I had a game where Rudy Gay just went loving off on me. Still won, but it was taken to OT and I had to defend after hitting a 3 pointer.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Does the playvision seem buggy for anyone else (on pc)?

Playing MyCareer as a SG and my coaching is set to:

All plays
Full
Show All
Auto
Auto
Auto

but half the time it doesnt show where my player should be positioning, and if my player is meant to set a screen, it never shows it either. I just sort of guess where im supposed to be setting the screen by the arrows for my teammates.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Some tips that have helped me in domination:

fastbreaks and rebounds are key
Get as many good centers and power forwards as you can
When you get the ball in the post following a pick and roll or fast break if you just hit the left trigger basically while you shoot it'll count as a post play (which is 5 extra MT points), so if you feed the ball in after picks or whenever you can easily get 12 or more points every possession.
This is probably by far the most efficient way to get as many points as possible. I average like 850+ MT score a game which is enough to 3star every seed (also I've only lost twice).
Get Al Jefferson. He was like 2k MT (so, a couple games worth) on pc and I bought him and he's by far my best and most important player. Incredibly good both offensively and defensively in the post, beastly rebounder, sets great screens, blocks people like crazy.

I always have defensive tendencies set to limit perimeter shots, physical defense, and run in transition. I generally control my center or PF and let the AI handle the skill players while I make sure I get every rebound and contest every shot that comes into the paint.

e: Oh, one more thing, make sure you shoot at least 5 3pointers and 10 free throws a game, that's the minimum you need in order for your shooting percentage in those stats to count as points. Obviously you want to make as many as possible, but better to have a lower bonus than no bonus at all when it comes down to it.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 29, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Copper For Lyfe posted:

All plays
Full
Show All
Auto
Auto
Auto

but half the time it doesnt show where my player should be positioning, and if my player is meant to set a screen, it never shows it either. I just sort of guess where im supposed to be setting the screen by the arrows for my teammates.

Ps4 here and I have the same settings and it seems to be working. The dark blue which is me tells me to do stuff once in a while. I am a SF.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
If i have to watch my dumbass self do the little dumb dance one more time i'm just gonna scream

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anyone a starter yet in their mycareer and if so how long did it take you? I am getting about 14 mins on the suns as a SF and avg 12 points a game, 5 rebounds, 1 block and 2 assists. I've only done 3 games into my 2nd season though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Copper For Lyfe posted:

All plays
Full
Show All
Auto
Auto
Auto

I've noticed that too. Almost always when I'm supposed to et a screen for someone without the ball. I'm on PS4 though.

When it's a screen for the ball handler I think it's been popping up normal.

E: I just became a starter about 14 games in with the dumpster fire Blazers (2-12 despite lillard being 2nd in ppg, 1st in assists, etc and my PF averaging 20/10 with a few blocks).

zelah fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 29, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Holyshoot posted:

Anyone a starter yet in their mycareer and if so how long did it take you? I am getting about 14 mins on the suns as a SF and avg 12 points a game, 5 rebounds, 1 block and 2 assists. I've only done 3 games into my 2nd season though.

Took me about 10 games I think, as a PF on the kings though. I was starting to get more minutes and started getting double doubles every game and then I was starting.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Oh and I cant select 'exit' to quit the game with the mouse. The only way to quit is with my 360 controller it seems.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is it possible to get the mid to late 90's suns entrance music with the blacked out arena and everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBxux-eHpZw

This was the greatest poo poo ever and still gives me goosebumps. Not sure if I am correct or it's nostalgia as I was like 10-12 years old during this time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Holyshoot posted:

Is it possible to get the mid to late 90's suns entrance music with the blacked out arena and everything?

This was the greatest poo poo ever and still gives me goosebumps. Not sure if I am correct or it's nostalgia as I was like 10-12 years old during this time.

That's really funny, that's more thought of as the iconic MJ era Bulls entrance music, I didn't remember that other teams used it at all.

But yeah, it owns.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

hopterque posted:

That's really funny, that's more though of as the iconic MJ era Bulls entrance music, I didn't remember that other teams used it at all.

But yeah, it owns.

Checking youtube comments it was the suns, the bulls and the jazz that used the music.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Copper For Lyfe posted:

All plays
Full
Show All
Auto
Auto
Auto

I've found auto play calling pretty weird in 2K16 (PC version). Like it only seems to call plays half the time. Sometimes it seems like I might only get one play in an entire quarter, other times I get more.

In 2K15 it would consistently give me plays on every drive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This year seems to be less on variety of plays and more on branching from the limited plays. Definitely a lot more continuing of action after the first pass. Lot more cutting, shuttling back after cutting, etc.

Of course, then you give up 8-10 points a game because there's literally no transition defense half the time. AI can't stick their own man remotely at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hopterque posted:

That's really funny, that's more thought of as the iconic MJ era Bulls entrance music, I didn't remember that other teams used it at all.

But yeah, it owns.

Hah, yeah that's definitely the MJ music. Makes sense that other teams would use it too though I guess.

Here is the actual song if that helps at all.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'll agree on the game being much harder, I have my shooting up to level 9 (I think?) and I still miss some shots that I'm open for and time pretty well. I remember having less points in shooting in 2k15 and being able to just rain three's from just about anywhere.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
When I originally posted, I was playing on Pro. I said gently caress it shortly after and bumped the difficulty to HoF. I don't see much difference at all in level of play but I get twice my salary every game. Also, I think I learned to play defense which has helped me a ton in my player grade.

How do you avoid the "Hold ball to long" garbage? I've even gotten it waiting for my big to trundle up and set a screen.

That leads into, how do you pick and roll properly? I feel like if I wait for my man to set the perfect pick I get a "Held ball to long" and if I go to soon the defense just fights over the top and cuts off my ability to make space for a shot or pass.

Also, gently caress Brandon Knight. That dude avoids the screens I set for him like the plague. Help me help you Brandon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ignore the hold penalty. Getting the solid pick is far more important than a small hit to your grade.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Holyshoot posted:

The intro music would be nice but I would kill for that team to be in the game. That is the pinnacle of Suns basketball right there. I was the only kid in school with a Charles Barkley t-shirt.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

jabro posted:

The intro music would be nice but I would kill for that team to be in the game. That is the pinnacle of Suns basketball right there. I was the only kid in school with a Charles Barkley t-shirt.

Yes please.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Day 3 of being stuck on the Wolves in domination. Until I figure out how to get the AI to play some loving defense I'll never get past this. What difficulty is Domination set to anyway? I'm still lighting teams better than this Wolves team up in challenge mode on Pro with this exact squad. But any time I manage to even grab a decent lead I can feel them rubber banding back into it. My latest strategy has been to try to scheme Wiggins, Martin, and Towns/Pekovic out of the game with hard doubles, and just make Rubio beat me. This has resulted in Rubio raining threes and twisting Kobe-esque midrange jumpers on me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mandrel posted:

Day 3 of being stuck on the Wolves in domination. Until I figure out how to get the AI to play some loving defense I'll never get past this. What difficulty is Domination set to anyway? I'm still lighting teams better than this Wolves team up in challenge mode on Pro with this exact squad. But any time I manage to even grab a decent lead I can feel them rubber banding back into it. My latest strategy has been to try to scheme Wiggins, Martin, and Towns/Pekovic out of the game with hard doubles, and just make Rubio beat me. This has resulted in Rubio raining threes and twisting Kobe-esque midrange jumpers on me.

I posted some tips a bit up the page, have the AI defend the perimeter and just focus on owning the paint and then beat them up on the break and in the post on the other end (and with pick and rolls).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mandrel posted:

Its on Pro/Simulation

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I've only played 4 online games so far but goddamnit, so many dumb turnovers due to the new passing buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mandrel posted:

What PoE's are you using? Are you setting auto doubles on Wiggins with the defensive settings or just doing it manually each time?

• Locked thread