Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

zoux posted:

I think Jeb was talked into this by promising him that the field would part like the Red Sea and he could walk on the backs of supplicants all the way to the nomination, and he wasn't expecting to lose in a slap fight with the human personification of the shitpile emoji.

I heard some rumor that Jeb! is running as a way to introduce his son (George P. Bush) to major donors to help him get on the national stage. Of course, if Jeb! completely demolishes the Bush brand (even more, somehow?) in the process it might make things a little tougher for ol' George P. when he wants an office outside of Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kro-Bar posted:

I heard some rumor that Jeb! is running as a way to introduce his son (George P. Bush) to major donors to help him get on the national stage. Of course, if Jeb! completely demolishes the Bush brand (even more, somehow?) in the process it might make things a little tougher for ol' George P. when he wants an office outside of Texas.

Where'd you hear that?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
University of Iowa students and faculty are becoming very upset now that their chickens are coming home to roost from the mediocre democrat turnouts in midterm elections here allowing noted shithead Terry Branstad to remain governor. There has been much outcry here about the hiring of the new president of the University, which was done unilaterally and against the protests of the faculty and students, by the Branstad-appointed Board of Regents. Now the faculty is calling for the immediate dismissal/resignation of the entire board, which Branstad is just going "tsk tsk, sorry, I don't have that authority" about. The fact that the state has gone blue 6 of the past 7 presidential elections shows that there is plenty of democratic voters in the state, they just don't turn out to vote. I figure this shithole of a state I live in is just getting what it deserves.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If that's true he's doing a terrible job because I didn't even know George P. Bush existed until now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kro-Bar posted:

That fact that Prescott already has Texas Republicans calling for his head for being nakedly corrupt is probably a bigger detriment to his career

C&L link because the Houston Chronicle (who did the reporting) is behind paywall

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kind of a local story, but earlier this month, Anadarko, Oklahoma became the first city in the state to make Indigenous Peoples Day an official holiday. It also may pass in Oklahoma City soon. It's nice to see a decent thing happen in this state for once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

That fact that Prescott already has Texas Republicans calling for his head for being nakedly corrupt is probably a bigger detriment to his career

C&L link because the Houston Chronicle (who did the reporting) is behind paywall

I haven't heard poo poo about this and if it's Jerry Patterson calling for his head, that's just what Jerry Patterson do.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Update on this week's Game of Thrones: A movement to elect the Chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi as House Majority Leader was announced, secured huge endorsements, and then exploded when the Tortilla Coast realized that they had not actually asked the Chairman if he was interested in the position.

(He isn't.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kro-Bar posted:

Sam Seder has been saying this. It's probably true.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

Update on this week's Game of Thrones: A movement to elect the Chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi as House Majority Leader was announced, secured huge endorsements, and then exploded when the Tortilla Coast realized that they had not actually asked the Chairman if he was interested in the position.

(He isn't.)
This is really funny but what is the Tortilla Coast?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Faustian Bargain posted:

It was the sequel to that Steinbeck book.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's a tex-mex restaurant in DC. One of their locations is close to the capitol and the Tea Party cru meets in there to devise strategies.

zoux posted:

This is the better answer.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

not wrong

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Faustian Bargain posted:

Freedom Caucus is known as the Tortilla Coast because they hold their super secret meetings there.

And now Gowdy is back in the race.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGlLLzw5_KM

Video of Chaffetz getting caught lying like the worthless shitstain and waste of human life he is. (The hilarity is around 1:40.)

QuoProQuid posted:

Freedom Caucus is known as the Tortilla Coast because they hold their super secret meetings there.

And now Gowdy is back in the race.

Did someone say Gowdy?

https://vine.co/v/eQA0vKtgA65

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 29, 2015

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Seriously, Joementum (or Fried Chicken, or whoever), when you guys post "The Raiders of the Tortilla Coast have announced they will be meeting tonight to _________", how much headway do you get? For the good of the thread :patriot: I would eat there given enough notice to try to snag some pics of me and The League of Extraorindarily Punchable Faced Gentlemen

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

My understanding is that their meetings are in a private area in the basement. No real chance for photo ops.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Please for the love of G-d and all that is holy, duck into the kitchen and go a little bit Tyler Durden on the chicken tortilla soup. You know, for democracy :patriot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Litany Unheard posted:

At least until they come back in a hundred years piloting Gundams with Confederate flags painted on the side.

So a worse version of Aldnoah.Zero?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kind of a local story, but earlier this month, Anadarko, Oklahoma became the first city in the state to make Indigenous Peoples Day an official holiday. It also may pass in Oklahoma City soon. It's nice to see a decent thing happen in this state for once.

I like it when Oklahoma does stuff to honor native people, it's kinda like a Nazi-controlled Auschwitz celebrating Anne Frank Day.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Joe is secretly the owner of the Tortilla Coast and uses the Freedom Caucus's shitstorm as free advertisement. Come one, come all! Eat our tex-mex and watch a bunch of fuckwads try and burn the world's most powerful budget to the ground!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm not linking to it but the Breitbarts of the world are now He Was No Angel-ing over the clock kid being a PROBLEM CHILD who has MANY WEEKS OF SUSPENSIONS which is proof that he's a terrorist or something

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Video of Chaffetz getting caught lying like the worthless shitstain and waste of human life he is. (The hilarity is around 1:40.)

God what utter weasels these people are.

They know this is a total load of crap but they don't care. They know having their lies and hypocrisy repeatedly exposed won't change any minds in the abortion debate. This whole PP "scandal" has been a poorly orchestrated ruse to try to hold the government hostage yet again and it's not even going to work because Boehner has had enough.

Nevertheless, they have to keep beating that dead horse to keep up appearances and to avoid openly revealing this whole thing for what it really was.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Whoops. The Lord High Inquisitor forgot that non-governmental personnel aren't forbidden to talk back. He made up for it by not letting the witness actually speak for the rest of the session.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

University of Iowa students and faculty are becoming very upset now that their chickens are coming home to roost from the mediocre democrat turnouts in midterm elections here allowing noted shithead Terry Branstad to remain governor. There has been much outcry here about the hiring of the new president of the University, which was done unilaterally and against the protests of the faculty and students, by the Branstad-appointed Board of Regents. Now the faculty is calling for the immediate dismissal/resignation of the entire board, which Branstad is just going "tsk tsk, sorry, I don't have that authority" about. The fact that the state has gone blue 6 of the past 7 presidential elections shows that there is plenty of democratic voters in the state, they just don't turn out to vote. I figure this shithole of a state I live in is just getting what it deserves.

And then there's Joni Ernst. :smithicide:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did someone say Gowdy?

https://vine.co/v/eQA0vKtgA65

What sniveling garbage he is.

I assume at this point everyone that goes in front of Yet Another Conservative Witchhunt understands what will go down and has a team of fact checkers ready when some bullshit ambush happens like that and ready to double check it and retort it instead of just saying you don't know and letting the lie fester.

We're going to hear that stupid graph repeated as fact but it will have a lot less punch after being immediately rebuked and that guy having to sheepishly change the subject.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 29, 2015

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

saintonan posted:

My understanding is that their meetings are in a private area in the basement. No real chance for photo ops.

crazy cloud posted:

Please for the love of G-d and all that is holy, duck into the kitchen and go a little bit Tyler Durden on the chicken tortilla soup. You know, for democracy :patriot:

I was kinda drunk the last time I was there but I seem to recall that the bathrooms are in the basement. This comment can be addressed to both of these posts. :getin:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not linking to it but the Breitbarts of the world are now He Was No Angel-ing over the clock kid being a PROBLEM CHILD who has MANY WEEKS OF SUSPENSIONS which is proof that he's a terrorist or something

The fact that they won't let this poo poo go used to be hilarious but now it's getting sad.

It's important that we spread the message to our young and impressionable officers that it's perfectly fine to violate the rights of an innocent student as long as they have a scary skin color.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

When was Ellen DeGeneres elected to congress?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The graphic is misleading as gently caress anyway, since the Cancer screening goes from like 2 million to 900k and the abortions go from 290k to 325k

I'm curious as to why there's such a big drop in the screening services. Even their own numbers show a big gap.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/6714/1996/2641/2013-2014_Annual_Report_FINAL_WEB_VERSION.pdf
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/7413/9620/1089/AR-FY13_111213_vF_rev3_ISSUU.pdf

There are copies of the 05 report floating around, but they are all on DEFUND NOW sites.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think Texas cut out PP from their women's health system during that time period.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spite posted:

The graphic is misleading as gently caress anyway, since the Cancer screening goes from like 2 million to 900k and the abortions go from 290k to 325k

I'm curious as to why there's such a big drop in the screening services. Even their own numbers show a big gap.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/6714/1996/2641/2013-2014_Annual_Report_FINAL_WEB_VERSION.pdf
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/7413/9620/1089/AR-FY13_111213_vF_rev3_ISSUU.pdf

There are copies of the 05 report floating around, but they are all on DEFUND NOW sites.

I'm sure a lot of this is driven by red states passing laws that force clinics to close.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Radbot posted:

I like it when Oklahoma does stuff to honor native people, it's kinda like a Nazi-controlled Auschwitz celebrating Anne Frank Day.

The worst part is, a huge portion of this state would actually get pissed if you told them we're celebrating Indigenous People's Day.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

If they didn't character assassinate a 14yr old then they might have to admit they were wrong. Conservatives cannot be wrong only wronged.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure a lot of this is driven by red states passing laws that force clinics to close.

I believe SC is still trying to bring ethics inquiries into 2 of the 3 clinics in our entire state.

Clearly the GOP hates women--they certainly will do anything to limit healthcare and subjugate them at every turn.

Between abstinence-only education and sparse sexual healthcare, is it any wonder we have staggering teen pregnancy rates?

But no, it's because poor people are animals or whatever.... :suicide:

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 29, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Unzip and Attack posted:

The worst part is, a huge portion of this state would actually get pissed if you told them we're celebrating Indigenous People's Day.

I should note that Anadarko has about as many Native people as white people (about 40% of each) so it's not exactly your typical small Oklahoma town.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I forget exactly what caused it to occur, but I recall there being some minor flap a few years ago nationally when some congressman objected to there being some sort of recognition for Native Americans or something similar as it would "dishonor the memory of General Custer," to paraphrase only slightly.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

When was Ellen DeGeneres elected to congress?

How dare you insult Ellen DeGeneres like that

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

mcmagic posted:

Yup.

Someone made a more honest version of the graph to compare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Unzip and Attack posted:

No, the worst part is that an even larger portion of this state wouldn't know what the phrase "Indigenous People" means.

• Locked thread