Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That is an excellently early leak of this year's NFL book. Usually you have to wait months until someone takes pity.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Trin Tragula posted:

That is an excellently early leak of this year's NFL book. Usually you have to wait months until someone takes pity.

Leak? That link came from operations.nfl.com...
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook/

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oh thank God they've finally joined the 21st century. Yeah, that's a new innovation; until very recently they used to sit on electronic versions of their rulebook and not make it easily availabe to the public.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Do NFL teams choose to kick the extra point from a hash rather than the center of the field?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cole posted:

Do NFL teams choose to kick the extra point from a hash rather than the center of the field?

Yeah apparently it's totally the scoring team's choice. I'm guessing inbound lines means hash marks? From section 11 (scoring) part 3 (try) from that link up above.

quote:

The Try begins when the Referee sounds the whistle for play to start. The team that scored the touchdown shall put the ball in play:

a. anywhere on or between the inbound lines
b. 15 yards from the defensive team's goal line for a Try-kick
c. two yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try by pass or run

So it's probably just whatever the kicker prefers.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
e; sorry wrong thread, not the GDT

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Did a rules/officiating thread get posted this year? I don't see it in the first few pages

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ok it's 4th and 10. A pass is thrown and caught short of the first down marker. The receiver fumbles, then defense picks it up and runs it a little, then fumbles, the original offense recovers. It's short of the first down. So is it a first down or does the offense turn it over on downs?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ok it's 4th and 10. A pass is thrown and caught short of the first down marker. The receiver fumbles, then defense picks it up and runs it a little, then fumbles, the original offense recovers. It's short of the first down. So is it a first down or does the offense turn it over on downs?

The ball has changed possession twice. It's a new set of downs for the offense.

If the ball had been fumbled but not recovered/possessed by the defense, it would still be the 4th down play and the defense would get the ball on downs.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Did a rules/officiating thread get posted this year? I don't see it in the first few pages

I don't really have time to do a proper one this year, I guess we can do questions in here though.

quote:

Let's just tweak this a bit, because there's two rules we can use this play to illustrate. We'll have the fumble occur two yards behind the line to gain, the ball then rolls forward three yards. If it's recovered by Team B then there's this concept called continuity of downs that comes into play; a series of four downs is over and the line to gain disappears when the continuity of downs is broken. Once that happens, the next down will always be 1st and 10 (unless the previous play ended in a score) no matter who's in possession or where it is. This is why it's always 1st and 10 when a scrimmage kick crosses the neutral zone, Team B touches it, and Team A then recovers; the continuity of downs is broken when the kick crosses the neutral zone. A change of possession also breaks the continuity of downs, so that's why the result of your play is 1st and 10.

There is however another rule that's potentially relevant here, which is the fourth down fumble rule (see here for why this is a thing). On fourth down, and before any change of possession, the only Team A player who can recover and advance a fumble is the fumbling player. If any other teammate recovers the ball, it's dead immediately, and if the ball is in advance of the spot of the fumble it returns to the spot of the fumble. This cuts out all the "did someone just try to pull a fast one?" knots that the Holy Roller crew got tied in, and makes it very difficult to benefit from deliberately fumbling. So, if a teammate recovers that fumble, it's going to be brought back to the spot of the fumble and turned over on downs.

(The NFL takes the rule further, and applies it to any fumble at any time inside the last two minutes of a half, which is probably sensible; the NCAA used to have a huge stick in its butt about not adopting rules that change depending on what time is on the clock but they're over that now, so expect it to change in college right after someone pulls a fast one on a desperation play on 2nd down with 30 seconds left.)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Is that literally "inside the last two minutes," or is it just after the two-minute warning?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

After the two-minute warning.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Does DPI on a two-point conversion attempt work any differently than regular DPI?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Does DPI on a two-point conversion attempt work any differently than regular DPI?

I imagine not - either a spot foul, or if it occurs in the end zone (likely) then the ball is placed at the 1-yard line. Then there'd be a re-try.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

CellBlock posted:

I imagine not - either a spot foul, or if it occurs in the end zone (likely) then the ball is placed at the 1-yard line. Then there'd be a re-try.

Has there ever been a time when a team strung together an absurd number of penalties at the goal line? Like just keep cheating and preventing the score but also giving a re-try/first down every time?

This seems like something Bielema would try as a means to take time off the clock.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

Has there ever been a time when a team strung together an absurd number of penalties at the goal line? Like just keep cheating and preventing the score but also giving a re-try/first down every time?

This seems like something Bielema would try as a means to take time off the clock.

The refs have the power to take any appropriate remedies (like awarding the touchdown) for repeated penalties like that, so it's not really a very clever tactic. Of course, that wouldn't preclude Bielema from trying it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Blotto Skorzany posted:

It does, very slightly, if you're playing NCAA rules! (This is not what you asked. No, there is nothing that actually matters. Feel free to skip the rest of this.)

DPI enforcement is really weird in NCAA because it's a whole heap of conditionals; you don't just put the ball at the spot of the foul like you do in the NFL, but it's not a simple 15-yard penalty either. The way I teach people to remember it is that you get the ball, go to the previous spot, start walking, and stop whenever you reach

1). the spot of the foul, or
2). Team B's 2-yard line, or
3). 15 yards from the previous spot,

and then you set up a new first down. This works much better than saying "OK, so it's a spot foul out to a maximum of 15 yards from the previous spot, and there's no half-distance rule, except you can't get closer than B's 2-yard line, and if you have DPI in the end zone then you're putting the ball on the 2-yard line unless it's more than 15 yards downfield or you snapped from B's 2..." and watching people decide that actually going to the garden centre for some compost on Sunday afternoon isn't such a bad idea after all.

Er, so the one thing that changes on a try down is that NCAA for some reason snaps the ball from B's 3 instead of B's 2 (or, if you prefer, "for some reason, the NFL snaps the ball from B's 2 instead of B's 3"); and on try downs only there is an exception to allow DPI to take the ball to B's 1.5 instead of B's 2.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's called the "palpably unfair act," and it could also be called if, for instance, someone who's not in the game runs onto the field to make a touchdown-saving tackle. Baseball and hockey call it "making a travesty of the game," which sounds much cooler.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Thermos H Christ posted:

It obviously isn't the same thing, but this reminds me of Buddy Ryan's "Polish Goaline" defense.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That play is pretty Problematic, Buddy

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

venutolo posted:

It obviously isn't the same thing, but this reminds me of Buddy Ryan's "Polish Goaline" defense.

How would throwing fourteen guys on the field achieve its stated aim of running the clock down?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The idea is that with 14 guys on the field, the offense would run a play and very likely not be successful. This would run time off the clock. At the time, 12 men on the field was not a dead ball foul.

The Giants did something similar against the Pats in the last minute of SB46. The rules have since changed.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Blotto Skorzany posted:

How would throwing fourteen guys on the field achieve its stated aim of running the clock down?

Currently, if the officials notice more than 11 players on the field, it's a dead ball foul. I believe this wasn't always the case, so a play would have to be run, taking time off the clock.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

venutolo posted:

At the time, 12 men on the field was not a dead ball foul.[/url]

Ah.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Cruel and Unusual posted:

It's called the "palpably unfair act," and it could also be called if, for instance, someone who's not in the game runs onto the field to make a touchdown-saving tackle. Baseball and hockey call it "making a travesty of the game," which sounds much cooler.

yeah but if they called it that in the nfl the browns would be perpetually penalized

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Stupid football question, but I think this is the right place to ask. I'm interested in buying a jersey for a Seahawks player (#48) that didn't make the team this year. NFLshop has his jersey on sale for the normal price right now. Is it going to go on sale at some point? Just disappear off the website suddenly? I'm not sure what they do with inactive players but if I can wait for it to go on sale and get it for cheap, that'd be awesome.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
For all but the most popular players they'll be print-on-demand through the NFL shop, they won't hold stock that would end up in a clearance sale. So yeah it'll just disappear one day and you'll have to pay the extra for custom printing I guess?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Vando posted:

For all but the most popular players they'll be print-on-demand through the NFL shop, they won't hold stock that would end up in a clearance sale. So yeah it'll just disappear one day and you'll have to pay the extra for custom printing I guess?

Makes sense, thanks!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I have a question, and it's to do with who gets to see what games on TV, so allow me to frame it: I am a Detroit Lions fan living in Detroit and the Lions game is at 1pm ET, at home and sold out. What games would I be able to watch over free to air TV? I guess the Lions game would be on Fox at 1pm, but would there be a competing game on CBS at 1pm that I could watch? If there's a Fox doubleheader does that mean I'd get the Lions game at 1, another Fox game at 4:25 but also a CBS game at 4:05? I'm genuinely confused, due to the fact that over here we don't have regional games or anything like that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I have a question, and it's to do with who gets to see what games on TV, so allow me to frame it: I am a Detroit Lions fan living in Detroit and the Lions game is at 1pm ET, at home and sold out. What games would I be able to watch over free to air TV? I guess the Lions game would be on Fox at 1pm, but would there be a competing game on CBS at 1pm that I could watch? If there's a Fox doubleheader does that mean I'd get the Lions game at 1, another Fox game at 4:25 but also a CBS game at 4:05? I'm genuinely confused, due to the fact that over here we don't have regional games or anything like that

You you would probably get a Fox doubleheader and the late CBS game, assuming the Lions are hosting an NFC team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I can't tell you the exact broadcast rules, but http://506sports.com/ has a map every week of what games will be on in what area.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

I can't tell you the exact broadcast rules, but http://506sports.com/ has a map every week of what games will be on in what area.

right, so according to that chart, in Detroit I could choose between Dallas vs Atlanta on Fox and Minnesota vs San Diego on CBS at 1pm, and then Seattle vs Chicago in the late slot, right?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

My understanding is that there are three games that get aired every week in the regional time slots, either 2 Fox 1 CBS or 2 CBS 1 Fox (except week 17 they both get double headers). During a home Detroit game, it will be the only one on TV because the NFL doesn't allow another game to compete in a home market. After that, you'll get both a CBS and a Fox game to choose from.

right, so according to that chart, in Detroit I could choose between Dallas vs Atlanta on Fox and Minnesota vs San Diego on CBS at 1pm, and then Seattle vs Chicago in the late slot, right?

That was for last week but your understanding was correct. This week you'll have the option of OAK@CHI or NYG @ BUF, followed by GB@SF.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

venutolo posted:

The idea is that with 14 guys on the field, the offense would run a play and very likely not be successful. This would run time off the clock. At the time, 12 men on the field was not a dead ball foul.

The Giants did something similar against the Pats in the last minute of SB46. The rules have since changed.

It seems like you could do the same type of strategy still. For example the superbowl situation where two passing plays were forthcoming, on the second to last play, you can just line up man to man on the receivers and tackle them right off the bat. Sure, you'll get like 4 or 5 defensive holding/DPI calls but the time is still run off. Is there something about this situation I'm missing? obviously this is pretty scummy but i mean like rules wise.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

turbomoose posted:

It seems like you could do the same type of strategy still. For example the superbowl situation where two passing plays were forthcoming, on the second to last play, you can just line up man to man on the receivers and tackle them right off the bat. Sure, you'll get like 4 or 5 defensive holding/DPI calls but the time is still run off. Is there something about this situation I'm missing? obviously this is pretty scummy but i mean like rules wise.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Basically this. The refs can enforce this penalty anyway they see fit. Add time back on the clock, award points, or anything else. It's basically the rule that prevents coachest from going all "but it doesn't say I CAN'T do that in the rules" when everyone knows it isn't in the spirit of the game.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

For me that's squarely in unfair acts territory and at the very least the clock is going to be reset and the ball is going a looooong way downfield (how far likely depends on the exact score and time remaining). Sure, the crew might puss out and just go with five yards and an auto first, but equally they might jump straight to the second half of "The Referee may enforce any penalty he deems equitable, including awarding a score." Even if they bottle it, the replay official might buzz in and tell them "I've got the Commissioner on the other end of this phone and he's saying that that was bullshit..."

Would you rather chance that, or back your defense to do their jobs and defend two passes?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

drunk leprechaun posted:

Basically this. The refs can enforce this penalty anyway they see fit. Add time back on the clock, award points, or anything else. It's basically the rule that prevents coachest from going all "but it doesn't say I CAN'T do that in the rules" when everyone knows it isn't in the spirit of the game.

The Air Bud rule.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can do it within 1 yard of the LOS, but doing it to like 5 guys would be impossible.

Back in 2001 in the AFC Championship game the Patriots lined up Willie McGinest on Hines Ward who would just immediately throw him to the ground on passing plays and they did that for a healthy chunk of the game

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

chaoslord posted:

My understanding is that there are three games that get aired every week in the regional time slots, either 2 Fox 1 CBS or 2 CBS 1 Fox (except week 17 they both get double headers). During a home Detroit game, it will be the only one on TV because the NFL doesn't allow another game to compete in a home market. After that, you'll get both a CBS and a Fox game to choose from.
Two-team markets (like the San Francisco/Oakland market) make this slightly more complicated: sometimes there are 2 games shown, sometimes there are 3 (like this Sunday), depending on where the 49ers and Raiders games fall in relation to that week's doubleheader (they never play at the same time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Cheers for clarifying all that. All this "doubleheader" and regional markets and stuff goes right over my head as we don't deal with that sort of thing here

• Locked thread