Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I forget exactly what caused it to occur, but I recall there being some minor flap a few years ago nationally when some congressman objected to there being some sort of recognition for Native Americans or something similar as it would "dishonor the memory of General Custer," to paraphrase only slightly.

Probably had something to do with South Dakota changing Columbus Day to Native American Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Georgia is about to put a woman to death in 2 hours, the first woman to be executed in that state in 70 years.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DemeaninDemon posted:

If they didn't character assassinate a 14yr old then they might have to admit they were wrong. Conservatives cannot be wrong only wronged.

Remember when they went after the kid on SCHiP back in 2007? Good times

Not that there is a lot of moral difference between those and currently going after that 13 year old on the Cruz campaign. That he's in a campaign is the argument that it's different but no, he's 13. Leave him be

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why does Oklahoma have such a hard on for advertising that they were the literal gulag of North America for many decades? We get it, you imprisoned native people there, why are you proud of that?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

seiferguy posted:

Georgia is about to put a woman to death in 2 hours, the first woman to be executed in that state in 70 years.

This is after the Pope specifically requested that they not do so. Not that I think the Pope should have any political influence in the US, but still something to keep in mind.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yup.

Someone made a more honest version of the graph to compare:

Some Fox News level of graph work here.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Radbot posted:

Why does Oklahoma have such a hard on for advertising that they were the literal gulag of North America for many decades? We get it, you imprisoned native people there, why are you proud of that?

It's an easy way to pretend the state is diverse.

In other Oklahoma news, the execution of Richard Glossip is scheduled for tomorrow. He's the guy who got a stay of execution two weeks ago to present new evidence in his case but the state court said gently caress it. Btw he's probably innocent.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Yup.

This is what they are threatening to shut down the government over.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is after the Pope specifically requested that they not do so. Not that I think the Pope should have any political influence in the US, but still something to keep in mind.

Looks like we found someone who hates JFK.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That PP lady had to deal with some Military Grade Super Enriched Bullshit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Looks like we found someone who hates JFK.

I just feel like a US president shouldn't have a separate allegiance to the Vatican is all.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

DemeaninDemon posted:

Some Fox News level of graph work here.

Hahaha, I only glanced at it the first time, but jesus loving christ, at least Fox News attempts to make their bullshit graphs more plausible at a glance.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Yup.

Since the context was about Planned Parenthood offering fewer services and more abortions, Vox extended the chart a little more to completely disprove the point.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Anyone know offhand why the cancer screenings have declined since the mid 2000s? Quick google while at work just links to a bunch of stories about the organization being forced out of a screening program in Texas, but info would be helpful to answer nonsense that our various families may send.

edit after the above post - Interesting stuff all around. I guess I'd expect fewer contraceptive services would result in higher STD/I tests.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All seeing these charts is going to do is make me even madder when the lies are cited by the eventual candidate in every single presidential debate.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
C'mon now, plotting two sets of data on top of each other with dishonestly scaled axes is, like, business.txt

Fifteen of Many posted:

Anyone know offhand why the cancer screenings have declined since the mid 2000s? Quick google while at work just links to a bunch of stories about the organization being forced out of a screening program in Texas, but info would be helpful to answer nonsense that our various families may send.

I'm guessing Medicaid expansion and PPACA removed the need of many people to rely on PP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The best thing about all of this is that they REALLY think that this Planned Parenthood stuff is a winning issue for them...

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Since the context was about Planned Parenthood offering fewer services and more abortions, Vox extended the chart a little more to completely disprove the point.

it's unfortunate that cancer screening and contraception services have fallen :(

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

it's unfortunate that cancer screening and contraception services have fallen :(

Or could it be that ACA requires that health insurance cover those two items and thus some women who used PP for those services are now able to afford those same services at their PCP.

I don't have the data, but I bet someone out there does.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Trabisnikof posted:

Or could it be that ACA requires that health insurance cover those two items and thus some women who used PP for those services are now able to afford those same services at their PCP.

I don't have the data, but I bet someone out there does.

Was a thought I had but that trend looks to have started a few years prior to ACA kicking in.

VVV :doh:

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 29, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gravel Gravy posted:

Was a thought I had but that trend looks to have started a few years prior to ACA kicking in.

There's only two points in the trend so it could be either.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Planned Parenthood service 7 year growth for each service area works out to 48% growth in STI/STD, 10% decline in contraception, 53% decline in cancer screening services, and a mere 13% growth in abortions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The ACA wouldn't have had much of an effect on since those are the numbers from 2013.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Also, the recommendation for cervical cancer screening (pap smears) used to be every year, and now it's more like 3-5 years, so that cuts down on the number of screenings done by anyone, not just PP.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jethro posted:

Also, the recommendation for cervical cancer screening (pap smears) used to be every year, and now it's more like 3-5 years, so that cuts down on the number of screenings done by anyone, not just PP.

So you're saying "ABORTIONS, DEFUND PP!!!" ?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

The graphic is misleading as gently caress anyway, since the Cancer screening goes from like 2 million to 900k and the abortions go from 290k to 325k

I'm curious as to why there's such a big drop in the screening services. Even their own numbers show a big gap.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/6714/1996/2641/2013-2014_Annual_Report_FINAL_WEB_VERSION.pdf
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/7413/9620/1089/AR-FY13_111213_vF_rev3_ISSUU.pdf

There are copies of the 05 report floating around, but they are all on DEFUND NOW sites.

I would guess the rise in abortion services from PP has something to do with successful efforts to harass / legislate other abortion providers out of existence. PP will never get out of the abortion game so they become a provider of last / only resort and wind up performing some of the procedures other providers would have in the past. I don't have hard numbers, on my phone. I would guess Guttmacher has something on that, or will soon now that it's A Thing.

I realize it's baked in now, but I feel like offering a futile objection to the strategy of emphasizing cancer / contraception over abortion as a rhetorical strategy. It cedes the issue at the outset. The only answer to this poo poo should be gently caress you abortions a right. I can understand the appeal of making conservatives oppose cancer screening, but it cuts way too close to apologizing for being an abortion provider. "I've got you now, Planned Parenthood, I found out you perform *abortions*!" should be a real weak line of attack.

It's like every single Obama speech ever where he opens with "now don't get me wrong" and proceeds to essentially concede the core republican line of argument.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Yup.

This is like Ace Attorney levels of easily disproved blatant contradiction.

:objection:

This graph doesn't use a consistent Y-Axis! Here's the real graph!

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kind of a local story, but earlier this month, Anadarko, Oklahoma became the first city in the state to make Indigenous Peoples Day an official holiday. It also may pass in Oklahoma City soon. It's nice to see a decent thing happen in this state for once.

Just failed to pass the OKC Council, for what it's worth.

edit: VVVV the best part is that OKC doesn't even officially recognize Columbus Day, so the shits are voting against it for literally no defensible reason.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 29, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kro-Bar posted:

Just failed to pass the OKC Council, for what it's worth.

Indigenous Peoples' Day resolution fails to pass, 4-4

When's White Peoples' Day huh??? HUH?????

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Factor in inflation and the abortion number gets even flatter, and maybe even trends downward a bit.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/29/444528541/6-clips-of-audio-you-should-hear-from-the-planned-parenthood-hearing

My favourite clip is the first where Jim Jordan asks "WHAT DID YOU APOLOGISE FOR?" She replies "Well she shouldn't have had a clinical discussion in a non-clinical setting."

He then KEEPS ASKING THE SAME QUESTION (to which she answers the same way of course) more angrily and more angrily for 6 minutes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's an easy way to pretend the state is diverse.

In other Oklahoma news, the execution of Richard Glossip is scheduled for tomorrow. He's the guy who got a stay of execution two weeks ago to present new evidence in his case but the state court said gently caress it. Btw he's probably innocent.

To make it worse: apparently the only evidence for his conviction is the claims of the guy who actually murdered the person whom this guy is being executed for.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Litany Unheard posted:

At least until they come back in a hundred years piloting Gundams with Confederate flags painted on the side.

Woah now, making them go to space would let those fuckers become New types. gently caress that, none of them deserve to or even believe in evolution. Let them kill each other on earth whilst everyone else can explore the universe.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/29/444528541/6-clips-of-audio-you-should-hear-from-the-planned-parenthood-hearing

My favourite clip is the first where Jim Jordan asks "WHAT DID YOU APOLOGISE FOR?" She replies "Well she shouldn't have had a clinical discussion in a non-clinical setting."

He then KEEPS ASKING THE SAME QUESTION (to which she answers the same way of course) more angrily and more angrily for 6 minutes.

They have no idea what the gently caress they're even arguing about. They are literally the party of goddamn ignorance. :stonk:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I had an argument with my dad the other day about Glossip. He refused to believe that there was no physical evidence tying Glossip to the crime; that the only "evidence" against him was the testimony of a confessed murderer. Like, literally refused to believe it - he just got visibly angry and then tried to change the topic.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

To make it worse: apparently the only evidence for his conviction is the claims of the guy who actually murdered the person whom this guy is being executed for.

Not just that, they gave that guy life in prison instead of the death penalty as a deal for implicating Glossip. The Intercept has done a lot of reporting on this case specifically, their most recent one was posted today.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jethro posted:

Yeah, professions are starting to scale back on how often someone who doesn't have a history cancer should check for cancer.
Or as helpfully illustrated by Natural News:

Yes, they don't see the irony in complaining that looking for cancer makes you more likely to find cancer.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Fifteen of Many posted:

The US Preventative Services Task Force has reduced the recommended frequency of Pap smears and breast exams in 2009 and 2010 respectively.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Holy poo poo, this is infuriating. I don't know whether he's willfully ignoring what she's saying or if he honestly doesn't understand her answer, and I don't even know which would be worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Holy poo poo, this is infuriating. I don't know whether he's willfully ignoring what she's saying or if he honestly doesn't understand her answer, and I don't even know which would be worse.

This whole thing is a sham hearing to let the right burnish their pro life cred. He's just trying to get kudos in his state's antiabortion organization's newsletter.

His questioning is without a doubt following to the letter a consultant's strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

And at the end of the day none of it will matter because Planned Parenthood polls really well and government shutdowns poll really poorly.

• Locked thread