Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Waiting for Shutdown YES to get down to a nickel and see if I can make 95x my investment when an obstacle no one thought of crops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why did Rubio nom shares rocket between the 15th and 20th?

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

My guess is the debate, though I'm not sure why since he wasn't particularly amazing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rubio's got a small surge going on; people are betting he'll overtake Bush soon.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pathetic little tramp posted:

Waiting for Shutdown YES to get down to a nickel and see if I can make 95x my investment when an obstacle no one thought of crops up.

19x :eng101:

e: 17.1x

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jewel Repetition posted:

The Accepted Wisdom™ going into the primary was that the serious contenders consisted of Bush, Walker, and Rubio and that whoever the establishment ended up lining up behind next year would be the chosen one. Walkers gone and Bush has been making Romney look energetic by comparison so that leaves Rubio simply because he hasn't gotten that much attention until now.

Expect to see him surge in the polls up to the next debate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Necc0 posted:

19x :eng101:

e: 17.1x

Yeah yeah yeah, math and logic, this is politics dammit, numbers don't have to make sense.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
WELCOME TO WHOSE BET WAS THAT ANYWAY WHERE THE POLLS ARE MADE UP AND THE COMMENTS DON'T MATTER

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, now I wish I'd bought more Price for Majority Leader shares. 70 at 5 wasn't too bad though.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the comments constantly mention a 'gallup dude/dudette'. apparently they act around 1230pm ET on any markets involving gallup, 30m before the official release of gallup's numbers. somehow you can follow this person and ride the swings.

has anyone witnessed this?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have not seen that, but it sounds pretty legit. There's no real way to prevent insider trading.

Just bought 100 shares of Shutdown YES for 6 bucks. Come onnnnnn, last minute insanity.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Rand Paul dropping out next seems way overvalued, especially when there are still so many pointless candidate remaining. He knows he isnt going to win but I see him going all the way to the convention to try to influence the debate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah I've got my money on Jindal at the moment, but I'm sure I'm going to get burned by Pataki or Graham or Santorum getting bored.

The reason people are big into Paul right now is someone wrote a "death watch" article about him, but anyone in the lower 90% has a potential to get that article written at any point.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Jan 23, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There aren't many ways where Rand gets forced out before loving Jindal, Pataki, or even Christie. The Pauls are all about quixotic Presidential campaigns with no real hope of winning.

If Gilmore finally admits that he's not really running does that count as a drop out, or does no one even notice until after the next guy drops out?

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

New market: Will Mitch McConnell resign as Senate majority leader by the end of the year?

platzapS has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Sep 29, 2015

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
No way we get rid of boner and franklin the turtle the same year, the world just isn't that generous.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

quote:

Dear Trader,

We’ll be making an important change to the way we debit your account on PredictIt.

Until now, we’ve been debiting the full price of shares you buy, both in markets with a single Yes/No option and in those with multiple contracts, like the outcome of the U.S. presidential election.

But multiple contracts in the same market are linked – only one will resolve to ‘Yes,’ all the rest to ‘No.’ As a result, the amount you have at risk across a set of such contracts will often be less than the full price of those shares. This is particularly likely if you own ‘No’ shares in linked contracts.

We’ll soon begin to introduce debiting based on the amount that you have at risk in a market. Many traders will receive a credit, and no one will be required to pay more. Henceforth, when you trade shares in linked contracts, your credit or debit will not be calculated according to the price of your shares, but to your change in risk.

We’re making this change in response to suggestions from both academic researchers and a number of traders. Our goal is to make our markets operate more efficiently. For you, this will mean more cash available, higher trading volumes and more accurate pricing.

If this sounds a bit abstract, don’t worry. Linked contract pricing will be introduced slowly. We’ll start with new markets on October 9 and then expand to existing markets incrementally. Please check your email for further information in the days ahead.

It’s not a bad idea to consider how this change might affect the value of your shares. Buying ‘No’ shares in linked contracts will become more affordable, meaning ‘Yes’ shares that are trading above their market value are likely to fall in price.

Stay tuned!
The PredictIt Team

God damnit. There goes my arbitration :mad:

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

God damnit. There goes my arbitration :mad:

I am extremely dumb and still don't understand what that email meant. Can anyone explain it to me?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Time To Chill posted:

I am extremely dumb and still don't understand what that email meant. Can anyone explain it to me?

I have no idea. I know as a goal they're going to link all the multi-option markets so that there's an automated pressure pushing the market to 'rationality' ie: all the 'yes' shares in the republican primary market will add up to $1.00

How it's actually going to be implemented is a total mystery and people are justifiably panic selling.

This exact reason is why the Fed takes over a year to make even tiny moves. You can't just drop this load of uncertainty on people out of nowhere with no warning. If I had a significant amount of money in any 'yes' shares I'd be supremely pissed off.

Now there's going to be an entire night or even days of people not knowing what the actual rules of the markets will be. Lots of people panicking and basically there's going to be zero trust in the site now. You absolutely can't change the rules of the game like this. This is a supremely dumb move.

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Sep 30, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
God drat I'm blown away at how bone-headed that email was.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Prices are already deflating too so there's no 'take-backs' at this point. That was so loving dumb jesus christ.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I think what it's saying is that if you're doing an arbitrage run you'll get the money back immediately if you're making a sure bet so that making one won't basically be "get $.05, sure, but in like a year".

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

I have no idea. I know as a goal they're going to link all the multi-option markets so that there's an automated pressure pushing the market to 'rationality' ie: all the 'yes' shares in the republican primary market will add up to $1.00

How it's actually going to be implemented is a total mystery and people are justifiably panic selling.

This exact reason is why the Fed takes over a year to make even tiny moves. You can't just drop this load of uncertainty on people out of nowhere with no warning. If I had a significant amount of money in any 'yes' shares I'd be supremely pissed off.

Now there's going to be an entire night or even days of people not knowing what the actual rules of the markets will be. Lots of people panicking and basically there's going to be zero trust in the site now. You absolutely can't change the rules of the game like this. This is a supremely dumb move.

Thank you. This post was infinitely more informative than that horrible email.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

point of return posted:

I think what it's saying is that if you're doing an arbitrage run you'll get the money back immediately if you're making a sure bet so that making one won't basically be "get $.05, sure, but in like a year".

They don't say this anywhere. The problem is their coy 'btw u may want to re-evaluate the value of your shares ;) ' is what's pissing me off immensely

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
It's rare to see any individual candidate move more than just a few points and Kasich has crashed almost .10 already. This is so retarded

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So because my portfolio is pretty much a bunch of NOs on random GOP candidates, I'll benefit from this stupid bullshit?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Aliquid posted:

So because my portfolio is pretty much a bunch of NOs on random GOP candidates, I'll benefit from this stupid bullshit?

More quickly than you would have normally, yeah. Everyone with 'Yes' shares are probably boned

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

My reading of it is that you're about as boned as someone who buys all yes. The goal seems to be that the entire market comes in line as a single, overall, bet. From what they said, it seems more like your overall risk is what is going to get you the pay off.

So lets say the bet is between who is going to drop out next Trump, Bush, Rand, and Gilmore. Your bet in the future is based on the overall risk in the market, rather than individual tranches. How they're going to both calculate this risk number and make it clear enough to make a manageable market isn't clear. However, assuming you put all your money on No for all 4 choices, your risk should depend on your spread instead of your actual allocation. Instead your return based on 99 for Trump, 74 for Bush, 49 for Rand and 24 for Gilmore, it would be based on your overall money in No minus whoever actually dropped out.

Using the above example, we say you had 100 shares No on each guy and Gilmore drops out first. In the current system you would lose the $24 you put on Gilmore, make $154 from the rest of your bets giving you $130 in winnings. In the new system when Gilmore drops out your risk was only 9.25% so your return is based on that. Of course the return is based on the change in risk instead of just the risk, so I don't know exactly what that works out to.

I think. And I'm not great at math so I might have figured things wrong. But it changes the strategy entirely. Instead of betting on each guy individually, allowing you to set up bets where you can't lose by betting on everyone, you're betting on your overall exposure in the market. Yes and No shares should both have their prices lowered significantly but the total shares should increase as people spread their shares around so that they own more cheap shares.

I'm not even sure this all makes sense now, having been interrupted in the middle of typing it out. Hopefully someone can decipher if I'm a total moron or just confused.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just from the tone of it, it sounds like they're trying to get people to bet on the outcome that they actually think will happen instead of throwing all money down on everything and still managing to come out ahead.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I think this whole thing is just to cover up all the Yes inflation and make it more difficult for people to discredit the accuracy of their markets. I don't quite understand what they intend but it sounds "artificial" at this point.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
God drat I always forget how dumb people are in forums outside of SA

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I have no idea what this change means. This poo poo was already complicated.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't even know: in horse-racing, do the odds on all the horses add up to 1?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
TWIST: Obama buys up $850 worth of YES and vetoes bill at 11:59 PM

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Necc0 posted:

TWIST: Obama buys up $850 worth of YES and vetoes bill at 11:59 PM

wworth it

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I've got some bad news for you...

Eh, I just unloaded them on the poor sucker who for some reason had like 14,000 buy offers for 1 cent. I lost 4 bucks, and it's a market I made about 200 off of earlier, so I'm happy with losing a longshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How much of a window is even left for Biden to declare at this point?

• Locked thread