Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

I just upgraded to a 6d and was actually looking for some new glass for video. The Samyangs are nice but I figured I should just start with some old glass before dropping a grand on a set of those.

If you are looking at P6 lenses, I would factor weight into consideration. To an extant it could also be beneficial since it can help steady the camera in the same way a rock or tripod would. The heavier lenses do tend to have a tripod mount, but you would need a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter which cost $2. Is there any focal length you were considering in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

daspope posted:

If you are looking at P6 lenses, I would factor weight into consideration. To an extant it could also be beneficial since it can help steady the camera in the same way a rock or tripod would. The heavier lenses do tend to have a tripod mount, but you would need a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter which cost $2. Is there any focal length you were considering in particular?

I'm looking at the CZJ 4/50, 2.8/80, 2.8/65 and the Mir 3.5/45.The pent six lenses can use a tilt/shift adapter too right? If I go M42 I might go all Jupiter/Mir though since those are way cheaper.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just going to leave this here

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hobohemian posted:

I just upgraded to a 6d and was actually looking for some new glass for video. The Samyangs are nice but I figured I should just start with some old glass before dropping a grand on a set of those.

Samyangs are fantastic and you should definitely do that.

Also you should buy the Samyangs for a mount other than EOS. Assuming you buy a good adapter (so that the lenses are held parallel to the sensor, at the proper distance), there's no reason to (since auto-aperture doesn't work) and using other mounts gives you both the ability to use film cameras (eg Pentax ME/MX or Nikon FM2) and better resale value (for people with better mounts).

Hobohemian posted:

I'm looking at the CZJ 4/50, 2.8/80, 2.8/65 and the Mir 3.5/45.The pent six lenses can use a tilt/shift adapter too right? If I go M42 I might go all Jupiter/Mir though since those are way cheaper.

You certainly can, but the T/S adapter is the better part of a grand, so you're not coming out ahead in cost, only capability.

Also many of the Pentacon lenses are not particularly good by modern DSLR standards. Some of the modern computer-aided designs are super good (Zeiss, Pentax, etc) but Pentacon are mostly only going to be good on film. On digital you may have to stop down to hit "good" territory. Even in the sweet spot, let alone before you shift into the corners. If you reeeeealy want a MF T/S capability, you should just buy a Hartblei Super Rotator or something. 35mm or MF variants are available depending on your focal length of choice.

e: Also Russian lenses are going to be super hit and miss. Some of them are pretty OK, some are total garbage. I had my own Russian lens phase, but the reality is that 90s-vintage Japanese lenses beat 1960s-vintage Russian copies of German lenses every time especially in medium format. One way or another you'll spend the money to get what you want, the question is how much you'll spend on stuff you don't.

Not that I don't have something of a hankering to buy myself a Kiev 88, but in my heart I know that it's money down the tubes instead of just buying the Hasselblad that will actually work without breaking.

Pretty much everything Samyang makes is fantastic, if you can get over the "MF only, no auto-aperture on EOS" limitation. My 35/1.4 I got for $325 is fantastic, I can literally shoot in the dark like it's daylight with my NEX and it's razor sharp. The new 135/2 is fantastic, the 14mm is fantastic, the 24/1.4 is great, the 85/1.4 is pretty good and dirt cheap. They are competitive with and/or beat the first-party lenses at a fraction of the price. Assuming you can deal with the limitations I have nothing but praise for their capabilities at their price range. They could easily double their prices if they threw in AF motors.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 8, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: Also Russian lenses are going to be super hit and miss. Some of them are pretty OK, some are total garbage. I had my own Russian lens phase, but the reality is that 90s-vintage Japanese lenses beat 1960s-vintage Russian copies of German lenses every time especially in medium format. One way or another you'll spend the money to get what you want, the question is how much you'll spend on stuff you don't.

Very true. I tested like 5 FSU 50mmish lenses as my bar portrait lens. I settled on a 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon because it's smaller and just better (I'm shooting Fuji ymmv on FF).

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does anyone know anyone who still performs annual overhaul on Nikonos-V cameras?

I thought about taking it to the beach for some amphibious shooting but I don't know if I trust the O-rings. So far I've totally struck out. It's proooobably OK especially at the surface, but I don't know for sure. Doesn't take much to flood. :smithicide:

Do it your self!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHBbld3Nmg

xenophule
Jan 29, 2011
I'm positive this has been asked a hundred times in the eight incarnations of this thread, but searching for "photo printer" or "printer" proves to bring up a plethora of unrelated posts and all you guys have been talking about the past umpteen pages is lenses and shady craigslist deals.

So I'm looking for a printer to print off some of our better pictures ranging from postcard- to A4-size and (like everyone) don't want to spend a mint. On the same note it doesn't need to print the most amazing clarity. We shoot mostly landscapes, flowers, birds, and fancy buildings/castles.

I know the usual printer trap where the printer is cheap but the ink will cost you a second mortgage, and I'm wondering if there's a variety of printer out there that fits the sweet spot of reliability and cost effective.

I feel like I've asked a lot and I do expect y'all to tear this post apart, but I would feel less of a man if I didn't give it a shot :synthy:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it actually has been discussed recently, but I'd suggest just getting your prints from costco or mpix or something else like that. You can get nicer prints than you'd get from most home printers without spending all that much.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
It's also really only cost effective to do your own prints on a nice inkjet if you do it constantly IMO. Otherwise they dry up and you waste a ton of ink getting them going again

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenophule posted:

I'm positive this has been asked a hundred times in the eight incarnations of this thread, but searching for "photo printer" or "printer" proves to bring up a plethora of unrelated posts and all you guys have been talking about the past umpteen pages is lenses and shady craigslist deals.

So I'm looking for a printer to print off some of our better pictures ranging from postcard- to A4-size and (like everyone) don't want to spend a mint. On the same note it doesn't need to print the most amazing clarity. We shoot mostly landscapes, flowers, birds, and fancy buildings/castles.

I know the usual printer trap where the printer is cheap but the ink will cost you a second mortgage, and I'm wondering if there's a variety of printer out there that fits the sweet spot of reliability and cost effective.

I feel like I've asked a lot and I do expect y'all to tear this post apart, but I would feel less of a man if I didn't give it a shot :synthy:

If you're still in "Seattle-ish" look for a Canon Pixma Pro 100 on Craigslist. They get bundled with Canon's DSLRs for cheap and people sell them without even opening the box. Don't pay more than $175.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

timrenzi574 posted:

It's also really only cost effective to do your own prints on a nice inkjet if you do it constantly IMO. Otherwise they dry up and you waste a ton of ink getting them going again
I have an Epson R2000 (13" wide max print size) and really like it, but I just spent $120 on ink because I hadn't printed for a few months and had to replace all my cartridges. Once my current ink runs out I think I'll stick with Costco for prints.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

timrenzi574 posted:

A 3880/P800 does not clog very much at all. Compared to 4900s/7900s, you can leave it sitting for a while (weeks to two months) and it'll come back to life with just a regular clean.

I think I've had to do a power clean a grand total of once for the nearly two years I've owned mine.

For an advanced amateur/semi-pro it is probably the best bang for buck printer you can buy, especially since you can print 17x25 with no issues. You need to look at the cost per print after you amoritize the cost of the printer... that is, if you are selling prints. Also you'll need to learn color management. Try BayPhoto; their prices are quite reasonable and their products are excellent.

xenophule
Jan 29, 2011
Thank you a for the excellent advice!

We're not selling prints (yet), these are just for our own walls at the moment.

I hand't even given any thought towards how quickly ink dries!

So given how much the ones are that don't dry quickly I think my best option was the first one mentioned:

powderific posted:

I'd suggest just getting your prints from costco or mpix or something else like that. You can get nicer prints than you'd get from most home printers without spending all that much.

To answer the other question, I'm now Glasgow, Scotland (no longer Seattle-ish). Gumtree seems to be the ruling Internet Flea Market here. And thank you for doing the research for me! (I know it's only a few mouse clicks, but I can FEEL the care that went into it)

Thanks again guys. A lot of good info here especially if we do decide to sell prints (read: people tell us they'd buy them). Mucho apprecioto!

xenophule fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 17, 2015

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Can I get away with a Arca-swiss monoball Z1 or do I really have to pony up for the RRS BH-55?

It's going onto a set of VANGUARD Auctus Plus 283 legs (meh, but I picked them up for $200 shipped :dance:) so I'm reaaaaally debating if the RRS is just stupid overkill. Also I'd take any advice on plates or tripod accessories you think I should be looking at. This will be mostly for portrait work, some studio and maybe a very occasional landscape/Zoo visit when my wife convinces me to drag it out somewhere we are going. Typical setup looks to be a 5ds, 5d mkIII or 70D with a 70-200 or smaller lens on it. I guess I might someday try our 150-500 sigma on it but I wouldn't really expect great performance out of that setup.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Anubis posted:

Can I get away with a Arca-swiss monoball Z1 or do I really have to pony up for the RRS BH-55?

It's going onto a set of VANGUARD Auctus Plus 283 legs (meh, but I picked them up for $200 shipped :dance:) so I'm reaaaaally debating if the RRS is just stupid overkill. Also I'd take any advice on plates or tripod accessories you think I should be looking at. This will be mostly for portrait work, some studio and maybe a very occasional landscape/Zoo visit when my wife convinces me to drag it out somewhere we are going. Typical setup looks to be a 5ds, 5d mkIII or 70D with a 70-200 or smaller lens on it. I guess I might someday try our 150-500 sigma on it but I wouldn't really expect great performance out of that setup.

If it helps you decide the dude that owns RRS has in the past donated a bunch of money to antigay rights causes. I know that marriage a moot point now but I don't give my money to people who hold terrible opinions if I can avoid it. Get Acratech plates (and maybe a head if you like their stuff) made in the usa and to my knowledge not run by a person who will donate your money to some lovely thing. I have had Acratech plates on my cameras for years and they are great.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anubis posted:

I use a B-1 (the predecessor to the Z-1) for all my heavy lifting, like a P67 and LF stuff. There's not a whole lot it won't do. If you go for a really long lens, mount the lens itself on a plate since that'll be closer to the CG of the rig.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anyone with a Pentax Q/Q10/Q7: Can you tell me roughly what you get in battery life when doing 1080p@30fps video?

I'm thinking kinda seriously about trying to do video of the supermoon, and after a 4.7x crop factor my P67 400/4 EDIF should be just about right. It should just about fill the frame but leave me a little room to only update the tracking every 15m or so. Amazon should be here Saturday if I order soon...

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anyone with a Pentax Q/Q10/Q7: Can you tell me roughly what you get in battery life when doing 1080p@30fps video?

I'm thinking kinda seriously about trying to do video of the supermoon, and after a 4.7x crop factor my P67 400/4 EDIF should be just about right. It should just about fill the frame but leave me a little room to only update the tracking every 15m or so. Amazon should be here Saturday if I order soon...

Have you considered doing a time lapse from stills or raw photos? Most DSLRs are limited at 29minutes 59 seconds for clips.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Laptop fried itself so I'm committing to building a desktop. Any recommendations for a ~21 inch monitor that can do wide gamut for around $350AUD?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I need to borrow $2000.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Phone posting: tried out the rig tonight. Need to figure out exposure comp in movie mode. The field of view is real tight and even my B1 ballhead is having problems being aimed at 0.1 degrees precision. I may fall back to a 135mm even though it'll be way short. Should have grabbed my 200mm before I left. Also I still need to tweak the infinity stop, it's a bit off.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Also, the Q is a ludicrously small camera. It's toy sized even vs my NEX

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, the Q is a ludicrously small camera. It's toy sized even vs my NEX

Why did you buy a q?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I don't think that tiny cell phone camera sensors are necessarily completely worthless across the board. The iPhone camera's sensor can produce some fairly nice images, but that seems to be down to the tweaked colors that iPhone photos seem to show. I guess if you have a fast enough image processor you could also get around the dynamic range limitations by implementing a super-fast exposure bracketing function.. Again, like the iPhone.
I guess what I'm saying is that an iPhone camera with tiny interchangeable lenses would be pretty neat. I have no idea if the Q comes close to that ideal, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Why did you buy a q?

The same reason people buy M4/3. Lots of MP on a small angular target, so I can use shorter, faster glass.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 27, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm kind of disappointed the Samsung NX Mini system never took off.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

The same reason people buy M4/3. Lots of MP on a small angular target, so I can use shorter, faster glass.

Fair enough. I just don't know many people who use it.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
Anyone know of any good underwater housing that doesn't cost more than the body itself? I have a Canon D5 MIII, and ideally I'd like to go $500 or less if possible. Or is that being unreasonable to aim that low?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Unfortunately, when you're talking about high end DSLRs, it is.

You could probably buy a half decent mirrorless camera and a workable underwater housing from a company like meikon for around 500 or so, however.

The housing I bought for my a6000 was around $225 and I'm pretty confident in its waterproofing (knocks on wood) - plus it has a moisture alarm built-in so there's not too much risk (bashes wooden counter with fist).

Where it seems like the extra money goes on those 4-figure housings is to dome port optics. You won't get the best resolution out of the meikon stuff, but it's still way better than a goPro.

Edit: With the latest firmware update, video on the a6000 is really pretty good, and with the meikon housing, the kit makes a fairly impressive underwater video camera (especially when you consider the price), if that's your thing.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 30, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Unless it's something you're going to use frequently, it makes sense to rent stuff like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also it makes sense to not take your mk3 under unless you need some specific mk3 feature.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The recent Olympus Tough models have been fantastic and they now shoot RAW. If you want something for underwater they're probably among your best bets.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Private Label posted:

Anyone know of any good underwater housing that doesn't cost more than the body itself? I have a Canon D5 MIII, and ideally I'd like to go $500 or less if possible. Or is that being unreasonable to aim that low?

The Nikon 1 housing (and camera bodies) are loving cheap last I looked due to the unpopularity of the system. For the price now I don't think it can be beat for underwater housing on an ILC.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Has anyone ever bought anything online at Robert's Cameras / Used Photo Pro?

I'm looking to get some new Mamiya c330 lenses and their prices seem notably cheaper than Keh - and international shipping to Australia is cheaper too... all of which makes me wary.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

elgarbo posted:

I'm looking to get some new Mamiya c330 lenses and their prices seem notably cheaper than Keh - and international shipping to Australia is cheaper too... all of which makes me wary.

I bought a Mamiya RZ67 110mm lens from them once and it arrived in better-than-described condition. Pay close attention to the pictures and item description and it should be OK.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

elgarbo posted:

I bought an LF lens from them on eBay and it was a totally normal, smooth transaction. I'm guessing they just don't have the same amazing return/exchange policies as KEH - not that you'd be able to take advantage of that easily anyway.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Nice prices on that site. I'll keep them in mind once the canadian dollar isn't so horrible. :unsmith:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BANME.sh posted:

Nice prices on that site. I'll keep them in mind once the canadian dollar isn't so horrible. :unsmith:

We just need to wait for Trump to get elected

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Very good, I guess it's time to spend some money then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
What are people's experiences with the time it takes KEH to review used gear you sell to them? I shipped them a camera body and lens that arrived today -- just wondering if it really takes the 7-10 business days they suggest on their selling FAQ, or if it tends to be faster than that.