Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Quentin Dupieux's newest movie, Reality, is just sort of sitting hidden on streaming. no clue if it's good or not, but I like Dupieux's other stuff, so I'm stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Well the fact that you keep mentioning "little girl vampire" indicates that you missed out on some fairly serious plot points.

Let The Right One In was the happiest tragic ending that I've seen in a movie in a long time. But I guess I viewed it as more of a "Stand by Me" journey of children becoming friends despite differences, instead of how there has to be some kind of predatory/sexual relationship between a vampire and a human/ghoul. The little boy hated his life and was essentially doomed from all of his observations, then he found a friend who became his friend and protector (without any sexual/predatory innuendo, reinforced by the vampire being both a child and castrated or sexually non-threatening) and who then removes all of the angst and dangers from his life, and then it closes with them going on a trip in the most awful/happy scene ever. But hey, if you think making them a boy and girl makes things better then shine on crazy diamond.

It was like a vampire version of The Goonies. Vampires need people to care for them, just like people need friends. Everybody needs somebody to lean on.

Not gonna spoiler a movie this old, sorry.

I refer to Eli as a girl because it's gender signifying. In both films Eli is played by a girl, so whether she chooses to identify as a girl was intentionally left ambiguous. The fact that she was originally a boy was acknowledged.

Being castrated does not equate to being non-threatening. Eli was depicted as an extremely dangerous individual, and it could be considered rather sinister that she chose to "remove the angst and dangers" from Oskar's life through such violent means, however necessary they might have been. In Fight Club the narrator cherishes his friendship with Tyler Durden despite Durden's tendency to abuse his power because he'll often use it to benefit the narrator. Just because a relationship is "tender" doesn't mean it can't be unhealthy.

Seems like you forgot to spoiler your post so I did it for you.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Everyone should shut up and start watching Zoo immediately. Telepathic lions, mass housecat migrations.

Episode 2 has a Jack Russell Terrier stealing souvenirs from tourists to lead them into a deadly dog ambush in an abandoned warehouse.

Episode 3 has a pack of wolves staging a prison break. All of the guards forget that they're in a prison and could just shut the door behind them to be safe from the bloodthirsty pack.

It's absolutely amazing.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 28, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Zoo as in the shithouse James Patterson novel?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
So it's "The Happening" with animals?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Zoo as in the shithouse James Patterson novel?

Turned into a shithouse CBS TV Show.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

So it's "The Happening" with animals?

Pretty much. In the next episode it's revealed the pack of wolves apparently wiped out the entire prison, with no survivors (except for the death row prisoner they are telepathically linked with that they rescued).

It's just so very, bad and amazing. There are French characters who speak in French for the first episode and a half, and then I guess it got to expensive too pay for subtitle translators so they just switch to heavily accented English and have been speaking that ever since, even when it's just the two of them.

The first episode's climax is a tree full of housecats. Don't know how else to describe it.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 29, 2015

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

All these things you are saying don't jive with "a bad show"...

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Imagine the first 15 minutes of a 90's disaster movie stretched out for hours. Or maybe a 90's made-for-TV adaptation of Stephen King. Two actors are definitely channeling Jean Reno and Maria Patillo from Godzilla 98. It's very 90's is what I'm saying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Huh. On the one hand Jean Reno was far and away the best part of Godzilla 98, on the other Petillo was far and away the worst...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched like 20 minutes of zoo and it's amazingly bad. I never really catch network dramas anymore, so it's always kind of jarring to see how poorly written/acted they are.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of animal flicks, I couldn't stop laughing during White God during the "dog fight" scene, which is clearly footage of two dogs playing with each other overlayed with an audio track of dogs fighting.

It's kind of like in Cujo; once you notice that in the scenes where Cujo is directly "attacking" someone that he's actually just licking them to death, the whole movie's tone changes. In the scenes where Cujo is attacking the car trying to get in, they made him do that by putting his favorite toys in the car and then telling him to go get them.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Huh. On the one hand Jean Reno was far and away the best part of Godzilla 98, on the other Petillo was far and away the worst...

That's a shame because we get a very poor Jean Reno but Kristen Connolly is a spot on Petillo.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

NESguerilla posted:

I watched like 20 minutes of zoo and it's amazingly bad. I never really catch network dramas anymore, so it's always kind of jarring to see how poorly written/acted they are.

We've been kinda spoiled when it comes to quality the last decade and a bit, it's always jarring whenever I watch an American network show because wow, I didn't remember them being that bad. I can't think of any that I can tolerate.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've heard critics like The Good Wife and maybe a few other dramas. I think network sitcoms are the real dinosaurs - who are the monsters that watch these shows!? It's the same awkward unreal laugh track crap we got in the 90s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was really into CSI like ten years ago and I saw the series finale was on the other night but I couldn't bring myself to watch it because Grissom looked really fat in the preview. Fatter than usual I mean.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
There are plenty of good network shows, using Zoo as your metric is like saying that all cable dramas are garbage because you caught 20 minutes of Sharknado once when you were channel-surfing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

There are plenty of good network shows, using Zoo as your metric is like saying that all cable dramas are garbage because you caught 20 minutes of Sharknado once when you were channel-surfing.

I'm not using it as my metric, just saying that I've come to demand a certain level of quality from my TV which probably makes me a loving lame pretentious snob, but I dunno when you take the stuff HBO, AMC, Netflix are making it can be kinda hard to swallow network crap. Hell I'd rather watch Rick and Morty than 99% of network shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

I'm not using it as my metric, just saying that I've come to demand a certain level of quality from my TV which probably makes me a loving lame pretentious snob, but I dunno when you take the stuff HBO, AMC, Netflix are making it can be kinda hard to swallow network crap. Hell I'd rather watch Rick and Morty than 99% of network shows.

poo poo still pops up from time to time that really shouldn't exist as a network show, like Hannibal. I know that wasn't everyone's thing but it was obviously on a different level than most other network drama.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Gotham is pretty good but I notice everywhere they go there's one lampshade, so I'm hoping there was a one-off silver-age comic villain who was a lampshade salesman-gone-insane, and that's the big reveal at the end.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

poo poo still pops up from time to time that really shouldn't exist as a network show, like Hannibal. I know that wasn't everyone's thing but it was obviously on a different level than most other network drama.

Yeah it's definitely not a hard rule or anything, there's always exceptions.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't know there were people out actively hating Hannibal. It was mostly amazing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I didn't know there were people out actively hating Hannibal. It was mostly amazing.

Like anything that is good / has a noticed group of fans, you'll see a group hate it if only to piss off / be different from the fans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

I've heard critics like The Good Wife and maybe a few other dramas. I think network sitcoms are the real dinosaurs - who are the monsters that watch these shows!? It's the same awkward unreal laugh track crap we got in the 90s.

Yeah, the fact that sitcoms still exist seems crazy to me. It's such a bizarre netherworld.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hannibal also became rather divisive for fans itself as the show gradually shed its procedural beginnings and went all-out into an art-house dreamscape direction and seasons long extended metaphors on god, the devil, and free will. I basically loved it from the beginning to the end but I can see how it started to alienate its own fanbase as the show wore on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i only watched the first four episodes but i thought it sucked balls, and i'm a big Mikkelson fanboy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i only watched the first four episodes but i thought it sucked balls, and i'm a big Mikkelson fanboy

You're definitely not alone. Hannibal was a weird show to try to recommend to people, it was very hard to predict which of my friends would like it. There were a few who I was certain would and they couldn't get through the first few episodes, they thought it was terrible.

Now that its over and it done with, and it ended in what I think is a very satisfying way, Hannibal is probably one of my top-5 favorite t.v. shows of all time. Its no Wire of Breaking Bad, but its in the tier right below that.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I wasn't a super fan of Hannibal or whatever, and to be honest I barely remember the first season, but the last couple of seasons were loving magic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love Hannibal, but my parents didn't cotton to it at all simply because they hate the Hannibal Lecter character so much. I feel like that might have poisoned the well for a lot of people who'd ordinarily be in.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of animal flicks, I couldn't stop laughing during White God during the "dog fight" scene, which is clearly footage of two dogs playing with each other overlayed with an audio track of dogs fighting.

It's kind of like in Cujo; once you notice that in the scenes where Cujo is directly "attacking" someone that he's actually just licking them to death, the whole movie's tone changes. In the scenes where Cujo is attacking the car trying to get in, they made him do that by putting his favorite toys in the car and then telling him to go get them.

Oh my god I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I enjoyed it as a double bill with white dog, which was, in my opinion, the better movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
People bashing network television because it's all lowest-common-demonitator pablum and then bashing Hannibal because it's an experimental niche program that doesn't appeal to them :allears:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Yeah. I can totally see not liking Hannibal, but saying it sucked balls is weird. There's a level of craft and care there that is extremely rare in television (especially network television.) Full disclosure I loved Hannibal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asnorban posted:

Yeah. I can totally see not liking Hannibal, but saying it sucked balls is weird. There's a level of craft and care there that is extremely rare in television (especially network television.) Full disclosure I loved Hannibal.

that was a harsh and crude way to put it and i'll acknowledge that it's a step up from most network bullshit. so let's just say i thought it was very bad. set design, music, and cinematography were pretty good. writing & the guy who played Will Graham (and pretty much everyone but Fishburne and Mikkelson) were very not good.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've gone back and forth on how I feel about Hannibal, but I don't think it has any major flaws. The writing and acting are very focused on certain unusual things, and so they made room by cutting out a lot of the logistics that most shows about detectives focus on. Some people don't like that, but it was definitely a careful creative choice. Same for the decision to go in slightly fantastical, unrealistic directions.

They definitely succeeded at making the show they set out to make. The only question is if that's a show that you or I want to watch.

Personally, I just need to see more plot momentum and at least a little bit of a sense of humor. It was just so slow and staid that I wasn't looking forward to watching it. But I still think it's impressive and I'm glad it exists.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

I've gone back and forth on how I feel about Hannibal, but I don't think it has any major flaws. The writing and acting are very focused on certain unusual things, and so they made room by cutting out a lot of the logistics that most shows about detectives focus on. Some people don't like that, but it was definitely a careful creative choice. Same for the decision to go in slightly fantastical, unrealistic directions.

The Red Dragon season was interesting in this regard since you have the other adaptations to compare it to. They just assume you'll understand that Hannibal know's people secrets, that Hannibal can make a phone call to anyone he wants while locked in a psychiatric institution, etc. without having to bother with the mechanics.

What did people think of the Fargo TV show? I'm part way through the first season (it's on Hulu) and struggling a bit with feeling like it's a ten hour movie. I'm enjoying Billy Bob Thornton and the cop lady, but I kinda wish they were in something that was just a couple of hours.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Anyone else seen Exporting Raymond? It's a documentary about the creators of Everybody Loves Raymond trying to create a Russian version of the show. It definitely doesn't hesitate to pile on the cheese and platitudes about *~culture~*, but it's also really funny at times and hits some pretty interesting points about how comedy translates between cultures. If nothing else, you should enjoy it if you like behind the scenes docs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

What did people think of the Fargo TV show? I'm part way through the first season (it's on Hulu) and struggling a bit with feeling like it's a ten hour movie. I'm enjoying Billy Bob Thornton and the cop lady, but I kinda wish they were in something that was just a couple of hours.

I loved it. It kinda flubs a couple of moments and maybe should've been 8 episodes instead of 10 but overall i was all about it. Very stoked for season 2.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'Same for the decision to go in slightly fantastical, unrealistic directions.

The only way Hannibal could have been more fantastical would have been to have a serial killer who was an actual wizard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought Fargo was phenomenal because of Alison Tolman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought Fargo was phenomenal because of Alison Tolman.

Agreed. I wasn't really all that impressed by Thornton's performance, I thought it was good but nothing memorable. Much like the movie version Alison Tolman's character carried the show for me and kept me invested from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hell yes. I liked a lot of things about Fargo but Alison Tolman was the best thing.