Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Thermopyle posted:

Except you know, I find large phones uncomfortable to use. But yeah, it's silly to be irritated that devices have become less comfortable for me. :rolleyes:

Yep. I'm making the jump to iPhone. I don't want to, but the only way to get a good camera in android is to have a huge phone, and I want a small 4.7" screen. All androids with that size are dumbed down crap versions of the giant phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yep. I'm making the jump to iPhone. I don't want to, but the only way to get a good camera in android is to have a huge phone, and I want a small 4.7" screen. All androids with that size are dumbed down crap versions of the giant phone.

IPhone may have a small screen but a huge body to account for the giant home button.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

All true. Just keep in mind display size is not the same as phone size, and an iPhone 6S will be closer to a 5" Android phone size. Doesn't change that that'll be the best camera in that size phone, though.

E: No idea how the camera is, but the Sony Z5 Compact, which is 4.6" screen, is much smaller than the iPhone and every other Android phone: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6s,Google-Nexus-5,Sony-Xperia-Z5-Compact/phones/9501,8148,9611

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 29, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DXOMark have rated the 6P as the 2nd best phone camera on the market, second only to the Galaxy S6 :eyepop:

The 5X uses the same sensor right? The only difference should be the ISP if it differs between the 808 and 810.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

incoherent posted:

I don't know if anyone brought this up but project fi will let you finance the new phones over the course of 24/mo.

Does anyone here use it? All the reviews popping up since July are mediocre it appears. I can definitely get it in Sacramento - NCal, just not sure it's worth jumping from TMobile until next year.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 29, 2015

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

repiv posted:

DXOMark have rated the 6P as the 2nd best phone camera on the market, second only to the Galaxy S6 :eyepop:

The 5X uses the same sensor right? The only difference should be the ISP if it differs between the 808 and 810.

Is the Style really better than an iPhone 6? I thought I read it was an "alright" camera.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

According to the listing the two devices comes with two cables. USB-C on both ends and USB-C to regular USB (like a laptop plug end).

6P lists both but 5X just lists the C to C one from what I see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CancerStick posted:

Is the Style really better than an iPhone 6? I thought I read it was an "alright" camera.

DXOMark is an objective technical test, so it's possible that the Style is more accurate on paper but the iPhones processing is more subjectively pleasing.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 29, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the 5x has some massive bezels going. they could've easily made the phone more similar in height to the 5: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Nexus-5X-2-8.jpg

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm close to doing the same, but I really don't want to have to get new apps and get used to doing things differently from what I'm used to.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Biggest issue jumping to iPhone is lack of google integration. Click on an address? It will open in Apple Maps (granted not as horrible as the early days but still). Things like that. That being said, the pricing is just not even close to comparable. We're talking about ~$400-650 phones vs $650-850. Quite a leap imo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Curious, I have a Nexus 4 and I want to upgrade to the 5X. I also want to move over from T-Mobile to Project Fi.

If I go through Project Fi to port my number, are they going to port my number today leaving me without phone service till I get the 5X in 3-4 weeks, or will it not happen once I have the phone in hand?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

hosed if I know but light googling is saying that the auto app backup crap isn't live on the preview images. Sorry, Vault dwellers of Vault 142. My naming of all your babies with dong related references has come to an end. Especially you, Dongy McDongerton.
Fallout Shelter save files are on the emulated SD card, you can back them up with any file manager app.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thermopyle posted:

I'm close to doing the same, but I really don't want to have to get new apps and get used to doing things differently from what I'm used to.

I've switched back and forth a few times. Definitely tempted by the new iPhones, but I honestly think it's more the accessories that are swinging it right now. Cases are so much nicer, and many more choices.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Fatal posted:

Biggest issue jumping to iPhone is lack of google integration. Click on an address? It will open in Apple Maps (granted not as horrible as the early days but still). Things like that. That being said, the pricing is just not even close to comparable. We're talking about ~$400-650 phones vs $650-850. Quite a leap imo.

If you use Chrome and other Google Apps they can launch within things like maps, etc. The move was not painless for me last year but it wasn't bad at all. Now I can't see coming back.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 29, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/nexus-camera-gets-huge-improvements-slow-motion-video-smart-burst-6p-launch-shortcut/

Looks like the new camera stuff will be 5X and 6P only. Smart Burst specifically is exclusive to the 6P.

If I'm not mistaken, the Galaxy Nexus had Smart Burst a while ago and it did ok. Ah well.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

I would also like to know this. It's cool the 6P has an LED but between double tapping the LG screen or just reaching towards the Moto, I've gotten really spoiled on how easy it can be to get your notifications.

The 5X has a similar thing to the Moto X when you pick it up, presumably the 6P has the same.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

b0lt posted:

The 5X has a similar thing to the Moto X when you pick it up, presumably the 6P has the same.

That is good to hear, I didn't realize that. I doubt I upgrade anytime too soon, but that is by far my favorite feature of the 2014 Moto X, and something I value way more than wireless charging, OIS, a comfortable size, etc. I was thinking I'd have to go with a Moto X Pure, and might like it better than the new Nexuses anyway, but it's good to have other options too.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
My work pays for my cell phone, we're on a Verizon plan, and I am due for an upgrade/renewal. I've been due for an upgrade forever and just biding my time until a ~5 inch Android device comes out that I like, and the 5x may fit the bill. But it looks like the way it's being sold, I won't be able to get it "free" via a contract renewal at Verizon. Am I right about that? I'd really like to ditch this loving Galaxy S3...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sub Par posted:

My work pays for my cell phone, we're on a Verizon plan, and I am due for an upgrade/renewal. I've been due for an upgrade forever and just biding my time until a ~5 inch Android device comes out that I like, and the 5x may fit the bill. But it looks like the way it's being sold, I won't be able to get it "free" via a contract renewal at Verizon. Am I right about that? I'd really like to ditch this loving Galaxy S3...

Correct, they aren't being sold through any US carriers.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So is there a known bug/is it a common issue with motorola Moto Gs where if you let the the battery run all the way out the phone will get stuck at boot (just black screen) and you have to do a factory reset?

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 30, 2015

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

All true. Just keep in mind display size is not the same as phone size, and an iPhone 6S will be closer to a 5" Android phone size. Doesn't change that that'll be the best camera in that size phone, though.

E: No idea how the camera is, but the Sony Z5 Compact, which is 4.6" screen, is much smaller than the iPhone and every other Android phone: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6s,Google-Nexus-5,Sony-Xperia-Z5-Compact/phones/9501,8148,9611

I had a z3 compact and really liked it, but the big deal here is that I can make payments through T-Mobile for the iPhone, but can't for the z5. I can't justify dropping $500+ on a phone, but spread it out over 2 years and I'm OK with it

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Going from Nexus 5 to Nexus 6P - Micro SIM to Nano SIM. What's the best way to get a new SIM? I saw a device on Amazon that will cut down your Micro SIM card for you but wanted another opinion. Should I just go to an AT&T store and ask for a new nano SIM card?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Going from Nexus 5 to Nexus 6P - Micro SIM to Nano SIM. What's the best way to get a new SIM? I saw a device on Amazon that will cut down your Micro SIM card for you but wanted another opinion. Should I just go to an AT&T store and ask for a new nano SIM card?

Yeah they'll just give you one

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Busy Bee posted:

My carrier (Rogers) just gave me one, that should be all you have to do.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Busy Bee posted:

Yes, make sure you go to an official ATT store, the SIM will be free. If you go to an authorized reseller they will charge you $20 (even though ATT prohibits them from doing so). You can call ATT and complain if this happens and they will refund you the cost of the card.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Red Warrior posted:

Best I'm seeing is Cable Matters on Amazon, $9 each for 3ft, $10 for 6ft.
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Type-USB-C-Black/dp/B00S8GU2OC/

Edit: These are just USB2 though for data transfer if that matters to you.

Edit: 4-pack for $20:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colour-OnePlus-Supported-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B013RMG5WY/

I'm going to buy this. If any goons want in, I'll part it out, and throw one in an envelope and split it up. I figure $6 for a cable is the best deal I've seen around.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sigh. Australia gets stuck with a big fat "join waitlist" button.

Am I out of line for WTF'ing at the fact that there is no headphones included in the box? Since when has that been a thing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wow, what the gently caress is this price disparity between the US and Europe? That's Adobe absurd levels.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm a little sad Google didn't set up a payment plan deal like Apple or Motorola. The 6P does look amazing, though.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What are people doing for fast chargers for the 6P? AC and DC

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Right now your only options are the OEM ones sold by Google, since the 5X/6P are the first devices using USB-PD fast charging.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BoyBlunder posted:

Since neither new Nexus is shipping for another month, why don't you wait until it gets closer and see what the options are?
Save you some angst.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thanks to that guy for the reminder on how poo poo backup/transfer is to keep me from getting too excited about the Pixel.

Best Buy dropped $100 off the iPad last year when it was brand new for Black Friday, guess I might as well wait and see what they do this time.

Fatal posted:

Biggest issue jumping to iPhone is lack of google integration. Click on an address? It will open in Apple Maps (granted not as horrible as the early days but still). Things like that.

I very quickly got Inbox, Calendar, Maps, Keep, and a few other things installed and was up and running without a problem. The whole Spotlight email search thing doesn't work that well since Google killed Exchange for GMail, but I just set Apple Mail to fetch once an hour and turned off notifications for it; so I get new mail through Inbox, use Apple Mail just to send outgoing mail through share sheets or peruse archives.

I found myself using a few of the Apple apps instead (particularly Calendar) but I admit there's nothing like Maps since I've starred/bookmarked places all over the country that interest me and there's nothing like Street View.

I keep Chrome installed just for tab syncing with Windows; and because the pull down widget gives me the choice of Google's voice assistant or Apple's within reasonable reach.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 30, 2015

comcor
May 11, 2005
Knife-wrench. Practical and safe. For kids!

xcore posted:

Am I out of line for WTF'ing at the fact that there is no headphones included in the box? Since when has that been a thing?

I don't think I've gotten a pair of headphones with a Nexus phone since the Galaxy Nexus. None with the 4, 5, or 6. Though I did get a pair from Project Fi.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well now my wife and I are both getting 6Ps due to the miracle of Rogers actually offering them. Will actually make money selling my unlocked Nexus 6.

We'll have to get different cases or this is gonna get weird.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 20, 2018

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MC Hawking posted:

Payment plan? You knew this poo poo was coming for months. Why haven't you been Good With Money and been stashing money into the funbucks account for it? It's a depreciating commodity good, not an asset that accrues value as time goes on.

I could buy it outright if I wanted to, I'm just surprised that Google didn't copy the hip new trend of giving away money to consumers in the form of 0% interest payment plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

xcore posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten a pair of headphones with an electronic device that weren't total pieces of poo poo. I'm just gonna keep using the nice headphones that I already have, so why would I want yet another crummy dollar store pair to throw in a drawer and forget about?