Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

This thread never misses a chance to go crazy for even the slightest sliver of a hint of a possibility of internationalization...

It was more identifying another hurdle between us and it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I couldn't separate an actor or musician's personal stuff from their work, I'd basically never be able to enjoy anything.

I'm right there with you, but in this case it just hits a little harder because I had built him up as a kind of kindly old Uncle Beat, now he's "racist crazy grandpa Beat".

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think that he is the first internationally famous actor in the series, but there have been many good actors before.

Yakuza 0 featured Uehara Ai, right? :wiggle:

Zettace posted:

He appears on TV a lot and is not afraid to make sexist, racist, and basically offensive remarks. He's also one of those people who compares gay marriage to marrying your dog.

Well that's kind of what Japanese TV and his whole persona is about? I don't know how you can be troubled by Beat Takeshi's schtick but play a series like this which is full of pretty retrograde stuff (like, say, the substory in Y0 where a woman flees a pimp who is beating her and needs a visa, and then the pimp comes back and says he loves her and offers to marry her and that's the happy ending).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 30, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I mean Beat Takeshi is a real person though

But yeah, you're right

Also I had somehow never heard of Takeshi's Challenge until now :stare:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I had an odd thought

What if Beat Takeshi is actually the games player character.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Well that's kind of what Japanese TV and his whole persona is about? I don't know how you can be troubled by Beat Takeshi's schtick but play a series like this which is full of pretty retrograde stuff (like, say, the substory in Y0 where a woman flees a pimp who is beating her and needs a visa, and then the pimp comes back and says he loves her and offers to marry her and that's the happy ending).
Like the other person said, one is a fictional game and one is actually a real person. Like I said, I enjoy his acting and his movies but that doesn't change that I don't enjoy the real life person.

I mean the issue for me is that he's appearing in the next Yakuza game as himself and not as one of his characters so you can see the problem here.

Edit: To be clear, if he was voicing a character, I wouldn't care.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 30, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I had an odd thought

What if Beat Takeshi is actually the games player character.

Or one of them, I can see it happen. Gangstagramps doing old yakuza on chinpira action.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I've really not been keeping up and i'm confused by all the announcements. Whats confirmed to be coming to the west at this point?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yakuza 5. That's all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cat Machine posted:

Yakuza 5. That's all.

I'm still waiting for it to be cancelled.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

sega posted:

We at SEGA Enterprises LTD regret to inform you all that the English release of Yakuza 5 has been canceled. Worry not, however, as all of your preorder dollars will be used in the localization of Hatsune Miku Project Diva X!* Thank you for your loyalty, and you're welcome!

*songs lyrics and song titles may or may not be translated

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'll take it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

It's like I've died and gone to the deepest pit hell had available.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yakuza 5 isn't out yet right?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

mikeycp posted:

It's like I've died and gone to the deepest pit hell had available.

Come on, its not THAT different from Yakuza!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwQizxis-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3d266_QWw

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Skeezy posted:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Vocaloid the software is very cool.

Vocaloid the Brand is loving garbage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

Yeah, it's not quite far enough yet into the PS4's lifetime for 5 to feel irrelevant yet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's not quite far enough yet into the PS4's lifetime for 5 to feel irrelevant yet.

Oh my god they're going to release it on the PS4's anniversary.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mikeycp posted:

Vocaloid the software is very cool.

Vocaloid the Brand is loving garbage.

Don't you talk poo poo about my good friend Miku.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Something Miku in Yak6 is inevitable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I love Miku, I love Yakuza. I do no want to see those crossing paths any time soon, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Miku is going to be in Persona 5.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/22/hatsune-miku-goes-gangster-for-yakuza-5-collaboration/

UH OHHHHHH

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm all right with Haruka cosplaying as Miku. That's about it. Don't push it further, Sega.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You realize we're talking about a character who is already a 16 year old jpop idol that you control in a video game, right?

edit: especially the hand shaking minigame is the weirdest loving thing, seriously.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 1, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You realize we're talking about a character who is already a 16 year old jpop idol that you control in a video game, right?

edit: especially the hand shaking minigame is the weirdest loving thing, seriously.

I had a hard time selecting the right responses quick enough until I realized they were color-coded so you didn't really need to read them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I had a hard time selecting the right responses quick enough until I realized they were color-coded so you didn't really need to read them.
I was thinking more that you need to hold onto their hand long enough to make them feel appreciated while avoiding the attention of your OWN SECURITY, which you can counter by smiling sweetly at them, but it only works three times.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Hatsune Miku tie-in will be about a young JPOP idol who, desperate for fame, signs an unfair contract with yakuza in the entertainment industry and she's getting almost no profit as a result.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Oh, you mean the regular Korean idol industry? :v:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Does anybody else's Yakuza 5 pre-order seem to be messed up? I have two blank spots in my Download Queue that just say "GAME N/A" and "Pre-order payment not accepted" that I swear weren't there as of a week or two ago. My SFV pre-order is there and the only other game I've got digitally pre-ordered right now is Yakuza 5. If I go to the Y5 page on PSN there's no button for me to pre-order again or anything either.

I went through my e-mails and I have all the normal "funds added" and "thank you for your order" e-mails from Y5, and nothing about a payment failure anywhere. Can somebody who also pre-ordered the game in the US check their Download Queue and see if the game is there? Normally I wouldn't worry about this kind of thing, but Sega +Yakuza in the US + PSN weirdness = me getting a little :ohdear: :tinfoil: :ohdear:

I just want my Yakuza 5 dammit! It's the only reason I'm still keeping my PS3 around at this point.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. If there is an issue when it's released, though, just show PS support goons your receipt from the Y5 purchase

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I got all excited about this article having a release date for a minute.

I really need to wake up some more.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Static Rook posted:

Does anybody else's Yakuza 5 pre-order seem to be messed up? I have two blank spots in my Download Queue that just say "GAME N/A" and "Pre-order payment not accepted" that I swear weren't there as of a week or two ago. My SFV pre-order is there and the only other game I've got digitally pre-ordered right now is Yakuza 5. If I go to the Y5 page on PSN there's no button for me to pre-order again or anything either.

I went through my e-mails and I have all the normal "funds added" and "thank you for your order" e-mails from Y5, and nothing about a payment failure anywhere. Can somebody who also pre-ordered the game in the US check their Download Queue and see if the game is there? Normally I wouldn't worry about this kind of thing, but Sega +Yakuza in the US + PSN weirdness = me getting a little :ohdear: :tinfoil: :ohdear:

I just want my Yakuza 5 dammit! It's the only reason I'm still keeping my PS3 around at this point.

If you're still paranoid, go to the Sony Entertainment Network site and check your purchase history. My Y5 preorder appears at the top no matter what else I've bought

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

If you're still paranoid, go to the Sony Entertainment Network site and check your purchase history. My Y5 preorder appears at the top no matter what else I've bought

Yeah, it's there for me, too. So that's good. Just need a release date here, Sega. Aaaaany day now, when you feel like it...

I have no idea what those two blank spots on my download queue are though, or how to get rid of them.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
UK PlayStation Store only: Yakuza 5 PS3 static theme is free and available to everyone. It's just the cover art in the background and red XMB icons. No custom sounds.
I haven't checked every EU store, but Australia and Ireland don't have it. :shrug:

A Yakuza 5 PS3 dynamic theme is also available for 79 pence. I don't know what that one is like.

No release date was snuck on any of the Yakuza 5 listings.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
AusPSN gets jack-poo poo for themes anyway. And they're buried in menus to get them too. I still want that corn one back, that one was the best.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grabbed both themes in the hope that someone might be taking notice whenever anyone buys Yakuza related stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yakuza 4 is on sale in PSN EU for 7€. Go (re)buy it right loving now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Avatars from Yakuza 5 in the EU PlayStation Store are showing up with release date of 5 November, which is a Thursday. Release dates of games on PSN that aren't out yet and don't have PSN pre-orders are usually wrong, so this is probably nothing.

From a Q&A of various developers in Japan:

quote:

■ Sega’s Toshihiro Nagoshi

Q: Is Yakuza Studio considering any new IPs?

A: The basic no comment, but we’re considering it.

Q: Will Yakuza 2 also receive a full remake?

A: First we’ll release Kiwami, and it’ll depend on the response of that.

• Locked thread