Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

In the early Berserker stories, weren't the various human planets each specific analogues to 1500s European countries and the Berserkers analogs for the Ottomans?

There might have been a story like that; I know one of my favorites was basically the Battle of Midway in space (Berserker Fury?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Anyone familiar with Roger MacBride Allen's books? I picked up The Depths of Time from a bargain bin and enjoyed it well enough. Not great but fine for $5 and Amazon says there are two more in the series. Anyone know if they're worth ordering if I liked the first one?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Cythereal posted:

Anyone familiar with Roger MacBride Allen's books? I picked up The Depths of Time from a bargain bin and enjoyed it well enough. Not great but fine for $5 and Amazon says there are two more in the series. Anyone know if they're worth ordering if I liked the first one?

Hah, I just re-read those a few weeks ago. They're OK. Pretty interesting take on things. If you liked the universe he has set up in the first one, I'd say go ahead and read the rest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rafikki posted:

Hah, I just re-read those a few weeks ago. They're OK. Pretty interesting take on things. If you liked the universe he has set up in the first one, I'd say go ahead and read the rest.

I liked the universe more than the characters, of whom only Koffield felt like a full character to me. The ending certainly did leave me wanting to know what would happen next, and I found the universe set up by the book, and the crisis facing it, an interesting one.

The timeshaft system for getting around a lack of FTL struck me as clever and original. Haven't seen anything like that in sci-fi before.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ceebees posted:

I think someone said in either this or the SF/F thread that the newest book from the guy that did the Kresnov series has humanity as villains? I'll go look.

There we go. Looks like it's $2 for today and tomorrow? Not sure if that's a good sign.

Humans aren't really the villains there, although they might be allied to them. Renegade was ok, certainly worth $2. The writing felt a bit bland, but the setting was fairly interesting.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

I think someone said in either this or the SF/F thread that the newest book from the guy that did the Kresnov series has humanity as villains? I'll go look.

There we go. Looks like it's $2 for today and tomorrow? Not sure if that's a good sign.

I really enjoyed it. For Joel Shepherd's first shot at a male protagonist, it's surprisingly good.

Then again, I really really enjoyed the Kresnov series.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

thetechnoloser posted:

I really enjoyed it. For Joel Shepherd's first shot at a male protagonist, it's surprisingly good.

Then again, I really really enjoyed the Kresnov series.
Although the deuteragonist is an ascetic Indian subcontinent-derived warrior cultist space marine. She's pretty awesome.

Humanity are less the bad guys in the setting and more a client race of sorts for a bunch of galactic assholes, even if the events that lead to that were out of humanity's hands. It is mentioned that humans are one of the only known races to exterminate another sapient species, but that was in self defense.

It's also interesting that Shepherd is a white guy writing space opera where Caucasians are a distinct phenotypic minority. Both the main lead and female lead are both varying shades of brown, as is most of humanity after Earth got destroyed and the resulting refugees started mixing.

And yeah, I too enjoyed the Cassandra Kresnov series.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 30, 2015

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
ive been reading the culture series by iaian m banks and have been enjoying it quite a lot

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ToxicFrog posted:

Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata, where humanity is recruited by the (pacifistic) Galactic Federation as the only thing badass enough to fight off the invading Posleen.

Thanks for the recommendation this really fits the bill of humanity as the bad asses, but it's even more pulpy than The Damned was. I want to murder his poo poo Mary sue characters so bad. And the cally's war bullshit is where I could not take it anymore and quit. His constant Sluggy Freelance references make me want to puke. Ringo has some seriously warped political views too. The cap of it all was his totally poo poo dues ex machina at the end of the first trilogy was about as ham handed an ending as I've ever seen.

The first trilogy seemed like some sort of crazy racist perspective about how america is going to be destroyed and defeated because of all the wimps and liberals and when the Chinese and Indians finally storm our boarders after defeating the rest of the world the true men of america will rise up and defeat them with bravery and superior american technology.

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 2, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Wait until you read the book he wrote with Tom Kratmann

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Wait until you read the book where his self insert is a pedophilic rapist.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Wait, I think I just won't read them.

Like it started to get to "Bio Of A Space Tyrant" level of bad in the 4th book before I even finished it. Although I shamefully read that whole series when I was younger.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 2, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Washout posted:

seemed like some sort of crazy racist perspective
Please read the sequel with Tom Kratman, then tell us what you think about the originals. :allears:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

chrisoya posted:

Please read the sequel with Tom Kratman, then tell us what you think about the originals. :allears:

I can blow through one of these in about 2-3 hours so I'll give one a shot and then come back here and write a tirade.

edit: I made it through the first paragraph of watch on the Rhine and rolled my eyes so hard I almost hurt myself, I take back everything and I'm not going to read it.

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 2, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm almost done with all the Culture novels, only have Matter left. Whats next in space opera?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Animal posted:

I'm almost done with all the Culture novels, only have Matter left. Whats next in space opera?
The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook
The Demon Princes series by Jack Vance
Neal Asher's stuff, if you want a Culture knock-off.
Watch on the Rhine, as discussed above, but only if you commit and post impressions.

What did you like about the Culture that you'd like to read more of?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Washout posted:

Thanks for the recommendation this really fits the bill of humanity as the bad asses, but it's even more pulpy than The Damned was. I want to murder his poo poo Mary sue characters so bad. And the cally's war bullshit is where I could not take it anymore and quit. His constant Sluggy Freelance references make me want to puke. Ringo has some seriously warped political views too. The cap of it all was his totally poo poo dues ex machina at the end of the first trilogy was about as ham handed an ending as I've ever seen.

The first trilogy seemed like some sort of crazy racist perspective about how america is going to be destroyed and defeated because of all the wimps and liberals and when the Chinese and Indians finally storm our boarders after defeating the rest of the world the true men of america will rise up and defeat them with bravery and superior american technology.

I didn't say they were good :v:

I actually enjoyed them when I read them years ago, but this is largely down to me being in a mood to read about a lot of poo poo blowing up and not thinking too hard about anything else.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

I didn't say they were good :v:

I actually enjoyed them when I read them years ago, but this is largely down to me being in a mood to read about a lot of poo poo blowing up and not thinking too hard about anything else.

I'd recommend the first one to anyone, it's a bit ham fisted but still really cool and gives a great sense of being up against the wall but fighting back at all odds. The second book is actually pretty good too, but in the 3rd one the wheels completely come off and the sluggy freelance poo poo is the main story line and it's just ugh.

Reading it is a bit like trying to reread your favorite Heinlein novels, after a while the veneer manages to come off and they are just not as good as you remembered.

Washout fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 2, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I just read angles of darkness and it really surprised me with the kind of weird duality, typical 40k dreck was a bit less prevalent that in other space marine books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Animal posted:

Ancillary Justice is really pretty good space opera.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Ancillary Justice is really pretty good space opera.

Ehhh. Reading a space opera shouldn't be a slog, and I struggled through the first book, then gave up a few chapters into the second.

The gender stuff was an interesting attempt and didn't bother me; what I struggled with was not caring about the world or the people in it. Also, it might just have been because Breq as a viewpoint character means that the story is told with a flattened affect, but Leckie's prose felt bland and flat to me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Washout posted:

I'd recommend the first one to anyone, it's a bit ham fisted but still really cool and gives a great sense of being up against the wall but fighting back at all odds. The second book is actually pretty good too, but in the 3rd one the wheels completely come off and the sluggy freelance poo poo is the main story line and it's just ugh.

I also like The hero, and Eye of the Storm, which are set later in the same universe. He seems to have got one book into the new story arc and given up though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

chrisoya posted:

The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook

I'm gonna dis-reccomend this... I read and loved all of Cook's Black Company, but dragon never sleeps is an endless barrage of future space jargon and never has any exposition at all. It has too many plot lines and never serves any of them satisfactorily. It would have been a great duo or trilogy but as it is its kind of a slog. It does have a couple cool space battles and some of the various intrigues/scheming has payoff but it's too much work to get there for too little reward.

If you liked culture you should check out Against A Dark Background and The Algebraist, both also by Banks, if you haven't. They're both one-offs and both in very different universes than the Culture, but both great.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

pile of brown posted:

I'm gonna dis-reccomend this... I read and loved all of Cook's Black Company, but dragon never sleeps is an endless barrage of future space jargon and never has any exposition at all. It has too many plot lines and never serves any of them satisfactorily. It would have been a great duo or trilogy but as it is its kind of a slog. It does have a couple cool space battles and some of the various intrigues/scheming has payoff but it's too much work to get there for too little reward.

If you liked culture you should check out Against A Dark Background and The Algebraist, both also by Banks, if you haven't. They're both one-offs and both in very different universes than the Culture, but both great.

There is always the Known Space series/universe. Some of them are pretty bad but there is a lot of good in them. All the man-kzin wars stuff is very skippable unless you want to know where the idea for wing commander came from.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 6, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some of the early Maz-Kzin War volumes are good. The two Nora Argamentine stories by Donald Kingsbury are both fantastic. Looking up the list on Wikipedia now, I'd say the first 7 volumes are good. Starting with Volume 8, it takes a dramatic dive for the worst as Hal Colebatch and Matthew Joseph Harrington pretty much take over the series, plus Niven starts writing more himself and they're all terrible. Speaking of which, it's also probably best to not read any of the main Known Space works written after 1980 and/or set after The Ringworld Engineers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

:argh:
My re-recommendation will override your disreccomendation of TDNS. Dragon is a fantastic book and weaves together a living universe. Some things resolve, some don't, threads are left, threads tie off, because it's a goddamned masterpiece. It's a book about the journey with endings that can continue on because they aren't meant for that book to close.

Not everybody needs a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars 'we've saved the world' party at the end to signify an end to an adventure. And sometimes exposition is fine, but you don't need it to the extent some people seem to require when the book is written well - as this one is.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
It is worth keeping in mind that "The Dragon Never Sleeps" is entirely willing to just say "whoops that character died, plotline over".

In a lot of ways it's more like a collection of cool bits than a complete story.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Drifter posted:

:argh:
My re-recommendation will override your disreccomendation of TDNS. Dragon is a fantastic book and weaves together a living universe. Some things resolve, some don't, threads are left, threads tie off, because it's a goddamned masterpiece. It's a book about the journey with endings that can continue on because they aren't meant for that book to close.

Not everybody needs a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars 'we've saved the world' party at the end to signify an end to an adventure. And sometimes exposition is fine, but you don't need it to the extent some people seem to require when the book is written well - as this one is.

My biggest problem with TDNS is that it jumps all over the place in both time and space and you practically need to keep a notebook of all the different people, planets and governments so that you can orient yourself after each jump.

I did enjoy it, but it's not an easy read.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

My biggest problem with TDNS is that it jumps all over the place in both time and space and you practically need to keep a notebook of all the different people, planets and governments so that you can orient yourself after each jump.

I did enjoy it, but it's not an easy read.
Some games you play with pencils, a pad of graph paper, and a spreadsheet. Some books you read with a notepad, noticeboards and bits of red string.

And a spreadsheet.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I liked TDNS a lot, and one thing that would have helped me when reading it would be to know that there isn't really a single main character, and there aren't really clearly defined good and bad sides. The whole thing is ambiguous and looks at the conflict(s) from many angles. It's like Dune mixed with Star Wars but everything is morally gray. It owns.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I liked TDNS a lot, and one thing that would have helped me when reading it would be to know that there isn't really a single main character...
In a way, that's part of what throws people--that there IS kind of a main character for at least the first third or so of the book, and then suddenly that guy just isn't even in the story anymore and it's about someone else now.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

chrisoya posted:

Some games you play with pencils, a pad of graph paper, and a spreadsheet. Some books you read with a notepad, noticeboards and bits of red string.

And a spreadsheet.

To be clear you are talking about David Weber right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chairman Capone posted:

In the early Berserker stories, weren't the various human planets each specific analogues to 1500s European countries and the Berserkers analogs for the Ottomans?

He did the Siege of Malta in one book, Midway in another, WW1 flying aces in one story… He had kind of a thing about using real history.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think I'm a pretty active reader and I've read plenty of books that are "harder" than TDNS, I just didn't think he did a good job with it. Like i said i liked some elements of it and I thought it would have been an awesome trilogy but as a nonstop barrage of space jargon and characters I didn't find it very rewarding. I'll probably read it again at some point and maybe I'll like it more then.

Recently read the ghost brigades and I like how it basically turned Old Man's War on its head... looking forward to reading some more books in the series.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm glad that between Expanse and OMW we are spoilt for space opera.

Both getting movies/series.

I've been reading "Sector General" and I'm getting serious Star Trek vibes. It predates star trek by a fair margin, and there is a Federation and a Starfleet with a pacifistic mandate and a rich, alien filled universe. The protagonist learns "star trek" lessons in every book,

Its about a huge space station hospital. The ties that bind the alien civilizations together are medical,

I really like it, love how 1950s it is. The boss of the hospital says things like "I'm hearing on the grapevine that you hate women, good, that is a good trait for a doctor."

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Sector General

I like Sector General, apart from the 50s misogyny.

I just finished reading all four Skylark books by E E Smith. Very 30s science, predating the Standard Model, with casual racism and sexism. His 'good' character is also pretty cavalier about genociding a race, trillions and trillions of lives.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sector General also has trained medical doctors saying things like "Salad? That is food for mere rabbits and women and the like. I will have a steak like I do for every meal!"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just started the Culture series with Player of Games last week and finished Use of Weapons today. God drat. For some reason before I ever read any of the Culture series I never imagined it to be as dark as it is, and I love it. Should I go ahead and start Consider Phlebas or go read some other Culture novel next?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

Sector General also has trained medical doctors saying things like "Salad? That is food for mere rabbits and women and the like. I will have a steak like I do for every meal!"
Its so 1950s I love it.

As a tall white straight STEM-educated all-beef well-dressed lactose-tolerant non-latte-drinking pro-gluten no-kale beef-fed beef-cake hail-satan all-natural corn-fed leaded-gasoline fully-capable scotch-drinking mainstream-christian catholic republican with-guns pro-dairy heinlein-approved extra-misogynist patriotic american male with no disabilities reading old sci fi is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

1950s posted:

Her respiration was slow and deep, that of a person either perfectly relaxed or asleep, and the things it was doing to her swimsuit was also doing things to Conway. He thought suddenly that if she was telepathic at this moment she would be up and running for dear life . . .

"You look," she said, opening one eye, "like somebody who wants to growl deep in his throat and beat his manly, clean-shaven chest-"

• Locked thread