Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eugh, this Nintendo news dryspell is killing me. When can we expect another big announcement or update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Eugh, this Nintendo news dryspell is killing me. When can we expect another big announcement or update?

The Smash ballot ends soon so maybe sometime in October. Other than that, this is a quiet time of year - Nintendo's already announced their fall lineup and likely won't announce their spring releases until after the holiday season so as not to distract from them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jonas Albrecht posted:

NA is getting Freedom Planet on Thursday. That's all you need to know.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They're saving up until December.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Remember, you need to get the Japanese Sega CD, not the American one. I will not allow you to play the inferior gaijin version of Sonic CD with the inferior gaijin soundtrack :colbert:

The version on PS3/360 has both soundtracks :ssh:.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

majormonotone posted:

The Smash ballot ends soon so maybe sometime in October. Other than that, this is a quiet time of year - Nintendo's already announced their fall lineup and likely won't announce their spring releases until after the holiday season so as not to distract from them.

their fall line-up for the Wii-U is literally two games. And they only have Xenoblade for a Holiday release.

The Vita has more poo poo coming for it than that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Excels posted:

also a lot of those CDs will start deteriorating soon

True.

Nintendo, release Popful Mail on the virtual console.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

also a lot of those CDs will start deteriorating soon

Yeah if you took horrible care of them.

People still have working laserdiscs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is a difference between a burned CD and a pressed laserdisc.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man, I'm glad I own a WiiU because not only are the games legitimately great, but because there are so few my broke-rear end self doesn't have to worry about missing out on any of them.

Just kidding I still can't afford to get Mario Maker, Pikmin 3 or Mario Kart 8 :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Waltzing Along posted:

There is a difference between a burned CD and a pressed laserdisc.

Disc deterioration you really don't have to worry about for early CD media if you kept it in a cool dry place.

Now disc fracturing and breaking up in your disc drive is a whole different matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktSDj7V8ZLE

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Augus posted:

Remember, you need to get the Japanese Sega CD, not the American one. I will not allow you to play the inferior gaijin version of Sonic CD with the inferior gaijin soundtrack :colbert:

sonic boom owns bones

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

majormonotone posted:

The Smash ballot ends soon so maybe sometime in October.

October 3rd, if memory serves. Hopefully they'll end it with an announcement of the first winner since I'm sure they've started work on the front runner by now. With Star Fox pushed back, they need something big for Christmas and I doubt just Smash DLC will suffice.

oddium posted:

sonic boom owns bones

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

October 3rd, if memory serves. Hopefully they'll end it with an announcement of the first winner since I'm sure they've started work on the front runner by now. With Star Fox pushed back, they need something big for Christmas and I doubt just Smash DLC will suffice.

It's called Xenoblade loving Chronicles loving X.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
They need to step up and name some release dates. "Holiday 2015" is some bullshit, they should know when stuff is coming out by now.

Come on, assholes, am I getting Animal Crossing amiibos and Mario Tennis for Christmas or my birthday?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

It says something about the situation that Nintendo's put themselves in when their open-world RPG is a niche thing nobody cares about while the rail-shooter in a series with two good games since the SNES is considered the lost big holiday title.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh yeah, that's December 4. It's just been so long since we've heard about it, I've forgotten. I even plan to get it on release day and I still forgot.

Nintendo, please oppressively hype up your stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bean posted:

They need to step up and name some release dates. "Holiday 2015" is some bullshit, they should know when stuff is coming out by now.

Come on, assholes, am I getting Animal Crossing amiibos and Mario Tennis for Christmas or my birthday?

Mario Tennis got a date today, November 20.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

Oh yeah, that's December 4. It's just been so long since we've heard about it, I've forgotten. I even plan to get it on release day and I still forgot.

Don't worry, they'll be releasing a single survival guide video onto youtube every month until the game releases. :downs:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mario Tennis got a date today, November 20.

Mario tennis will not feature Donkey Kong Jr. Along with Donkey Kong The Third.

No DKJR=No good Game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Man, I'm glad I own a WiiU because not only are the games legitimately great, but because there are so few my broke-rear end self doesn't have to worry about missing out on any of them.

Just kidding I still can't afford to get Mario Maker, Pikmin 3 or Mario Kart 8 :smith:

I want you to fulfill your dream of owning Mario Kart 8, so maybe this will help: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat160004

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, thank you friend. That's a hell of a lot easier to save up for, maybe someday soon. :unsmith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new Smash update adds the Wind Waker ship stage as paid DLC, alongside the Mario Maker stage.

Mii costumes include Fox, Captain Falcon, Toad, Viridi from Kid Icarus, Hunter & Rathalos sets from Monster Hunter and a generic business suit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They're pretty obviously still figuring out what they want to do with nintendo directs now that the big man himself is dead, and there (presumably) isn't much to announce in the first place. Give it time, we'll get there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Speaking of which, isn't Club Nintendo gone for good now? Did they ever mention what was going to happen in its place if anything?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suspicious Cook posted:

Everybody already watched a stream of a guy playing it in Japanese for ten minutes and decided it was going to be terrible anyway. Oh and no British voices also means it's just straight trash.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hunter & Rathalos sets from Monster Hunter

This is one of the most painful things you could have done to me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hunter & Rathalos sets from Monster Hunter and a generic business suit.

And they said it was impossible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The new Smash update adds the Wind Waker ship stage as paid DLC, alongside the Mario Maker stage.

Mii costumes include Fox, Captain Falcon, Toad, Viridi from Kid Icarus, Hunter & Rathalos sets from Monster Hunter and a generic business suit.

I somehow completely missed this! Cool.

I thought the Wii U was supposed to automatically shove these ads in my face when I turn it on

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, isn't Club Nintendo gone for good now? Did they ever mention what was going to happen in its place if anything?

A replacement system is in the works. It was communicated in one of the press releases on the announcement of the closure. I wouldn't expect anything until next year. Maybe during E3 2016 they'll announce it or something.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought the Wii U was supposed to automatically shove these ads in my face when I turn it on

They do. It's just not as fast as Twitter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A replacement system is in the works. It was communicated in one of the press releases on the announcement of the closure. I wouldn't expect anything until next year. Maybe during E3 2016 they'll announce it or something.

It should be announced this fall, that's when they said they'd announce it. Club Nintendo is officially for real over with every where after October 3rd so I'd expect something soon after that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess I had never really thought about it but the Monster Hunter would seriously fit perfectly in Smash

Man why weren't people suggesting that instead of Candy Kong or whatever

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hey thread, I finally got a Wii u so I can play cool poo poo like Platoon and Mario Kart. I understand I can use an external hard drive. Anything I need to know, or is it as simple as "get USB drive, plug into console?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Hey thread, I finally got a Wii u so I can play cool poo poo like Platoon and Mario Kart. I understand I can use an external hard drive. Anything I need to know, or is it as simple as "get USB drive, plug into console?"

If you get an external HD that doesn't use a dedicated power source you might need a 'y' USB cable to plug into two USB ports to power it, otherwise no

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Junpei Hyde posted:

Preferably get one with its own power supply; but other than that, yeah, just plug it in and you're good. The console will take care of reformatting it to the right file format

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So my semi local library has WiiU games and my girlfriend brought a couple over. Wind Waker HD is a loving lovely game and I've been playing a lot of it over the past few days. I played it back in the Gamecube era but lost steam partway through. I heard they made finding the Triforce shards less lovely this time though so I'm excited to actually see it through til the end! She also picked up that Adventure Time dungeon crawler which is charming enough with two people taking it on at once.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SRM posted:

So my semi local library has WiiU games and my girlfriend brought a couple over. Wind Waker HD is a loving lovely game and I've been playing a lot of it over the past few days. I played it back in the Gamecube era but lost steam partway through. I heard they made finding the Triforce shards less lovely this time though so I'm excited to actually see it through til the end! She also picked up that Adventure Time dungeon crawler which is charming enough with two people taking it on at once.

It's slightly less annoying now because 5 of the old triforce charts are now just flat out triforce shards, so that's less of the hell cycle that is "Go find a triforce chart, go to Tingle and pay him ransom so you can go to another map square to find the actual shard."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

It's slightly less annoying now because 5 of the old triforce charts are now just flat out triforce shards, so that's less of the hell cycle that is "Go find a triforce chart, go to Tingle and pay him ransom so you can go to another map square to find the actual shard."

Also the double-speed auto-wind adjusting sail is great, get that thing ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SRM posted:

Someone got me that for my birthday last year and I have never even touched it because I thought I had "better" games and also I've never seen a single episode of Adventure Time. I looked at the reviews and they seemed pretty poor so it was like, "Eh, maybe later." Good to know it might actually be worthwhile!

• Locked thread