Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something that bugged me in Waterworld:

The Smokers become aware that they are down to 4 feet of oil. According to them, this is only enough for two 'Refuelers' which they will burn through in 3 'Lunars' (months). So what would the Deacon have done if they didn't have the girl?

It sounded like the smokers were on their last legs. 3 more months and the Deacon wouldve earned himself a Klingon promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Immortan Joe seemed like he had by far the biggest army - probably because he has enough water to maintain a lot of dudes, and only gives the other two enough to have smaller forces. So they can handle attacks from the smaller gangs but can't directly challenge him.

I could see them having some uneasy power dynamic where Joe could definitely crush one or even both of them, but would lose a shitload of dudes doing it. And directly controlling all three places himself is difficult because his cult of personality relies on proximity, so it's useful to have someone in charge who's hardcore enough keep power but indebted to Joe and smart enough to realise who's the boss. So he could gently caress them up but doesn't want to have to - so the others have powerful positions but know they can't gently caress with him too far.

I mean that's reading a lot of specifics into it but the power dynamic was clear that they were pretty powerful dudes but Joe was king poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Panfilo posted:

Something that bugged me in Waterworld:

The Smokers become aware that they are down to 4 feet of oil. According to them, this is only enough for two 'Refuelers' which they will burn through in 3 'Lunars' (months). So what would the Deacon have done if they didn't have the girl?

It sounded like the smokers were on their last legs. 3 more months and the Deacon wouldve earned himself a Klingon promotion.

That makes sense though, the smokers' lifestyle would be inherently unsustainable in waterworld. They were scavengers on the remains of society, and eventually that'd all go away.

Or do the smokers actually have working refineries? My assumption was that they just raided all the remaining oil tankers in the world and were running on that.

Mad Max kinda has the same issue with gasoline, although the bullet farm / gasoline town at least explain that society has built up enough to maintain those lines of production.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Was just watching an ad for marvel's agents of shield, which was apparently just a clip of the opening of season 3

Some guy is just discovering his superpowers when a bunch of goons show up with earpieces and guns. One of them says "he's here, we have him" to some lady on the radio, and she responds "contain him, use lethal force if necessary"

The guy then says "lethal force, is that necessary?"

First of all, there's no good drat reason why she should have explicitly said "lethal force is necessary". Besides, she probably would have said that when explaining the rules of egagement, either as they were being briefed to leave or long ago as part of their operational training. There's no reason why it'd need to be explicitly said in the moment. But even worse is that THEY'RE EARPIECES. How the hell did this guy supposedly overhear the earpieces?

I guess he has super-hearing too :rolleyes: (he doesn't)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Facial motion capture is all the rage these days and obviously looks way better than hand-animated faces do, but IMO its still massively uncanny valley and I'd almost rather Maleficent, as good as it looked, had just gone with real performances. I wouldn't mind full-size Fairy godmothers and those women can act better than the CG versions of them did. But it wasn't horrible or anything.

Maybe I'm naive or easily pleased, but when I watched the "eye study" video I thought it was showing me captures of the actor's eyes they were going to copy. And then they dropped the texture and overlaid the wireframe and I was amazed.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Anytime there is a one-sided phone conversation and the person repeats back what they're hearing as a question so the audience knows what the other person said.

"What? You're holding my mother hostage?"

I know why they do it in general but it's always so clunky and takes me out of the scene right away.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Gromit posted:

Maybe I'm naive or easily pleased, but when I watched the "eye study" video I thought it was showing me captures of the actor's eyes they were going to copy. And then they dropped the texture and overlaid the wireframe and I was amazed.

Eyes have come a long way. The only mistake most CG eyes still have is that they have no blood vessels.

This one is very impressive though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jaramin posted:

Eyes have come a long way. The only mistake most CG eyes still have is that they have no blood vessels.

This one is very impressive though

Yeah that's pretty much photo-realistic, It'd fool me.

But the more you show the harder it is to bring it all together. Add in skin and hair and facial animations, and even if most everything is 99.9% right your brain still picks out some things that are off.

Its mostly just the lighting. Maleficent being fantasy probably went for an intentionally cartoonish color style in a little way, which is smart, and makes it unfair to compare to photo-realism anyways.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Bullet farmer literally says "I've come for the torture!". Most of the other goons in Immoratans army would be motivated to bring the wives back to improve their own status (look how giddy Nux gets at the concept of appeasing Immortan Joe). Bullet Farmer on the other hand sees himself as some wasteland Judge Dredd and wants to utterly annihilate her and anyone in the way. Joe actually has to warn him to be careful about the wives.

One of the details that I caught during my second time seeing the movie was that he's wearing a traditional English judge's wig, but with an ammo belt rather than hair curls.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Lamprey Cannon posted:

One of the details that I caught during my second time seeing the movie was that he's wearing a traditional English judge's wig, but with an ammo belt rather than hair curls.

When I realized that, it suddenly made more sense why he suddenly started screaming about how "I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!" apart from just suddenly having shrapnel blasted back into his brain via his eyes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dirksteadfast posted:

Anytime there is a one-sided phone conversation and the person repeats back what they're hearing as a question so the audience knows what the other person said.

"What? You're holding my mother hostage?"

I know why they do it in general but it's always so clunky and takes me out of the scene right away.

The ones that get to me are when they don't leave the other (unheard) person anytime to have actually spoken.

"Who is this?"
"It's D-"
"DANNY!?! You son of a bitch, what do you want?"
"Well I wa-"
"Go to the nuclear power plant by midnight and leave the money under the third stone from the right by the security booth?"
"Yea.... yeah. Or els-"
"OR ELSE CYNTHIA GETS IT? You'll pay for this!"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
On the subject of phone conversations, is it normal for people in the US to just hang up on their friends and family without saying goodbye? This seems really rude to me, but it's incredibly rare for anyone to say goodbye when they are on the phone on TV and in movies so for all I know that's standard practice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gromit posted:

On the subject of phone conversations, is it normal for people in the US to just hang up on their friends and family without saying goodbye? This seems really rude to me, but it's incredibly rare for anyone to say goodbye when they are on the phone on TV and in movies so for all I know that's standard practice.

Nope, it's a movie thing. Turns out that humans are kinda programmed to subconsciously stop paying attention when someone says "goodbye" on a phone call or something, so it drops viewers out of a scene.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Nope, it's a movie thing. Turns out that humans are kinda programmed to subconsciously stop paying attention when someone says "goodbye" on a phone call or something, so it drops viewers out of a scene.

I'm not sure it's actually true so much that people in movies think that it's true but it amounts to the same result.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Panfilo posted:

Bullet farmer literally says "I've come for the torture!". Most of the other goons in Immoratans army would be motivated to bring the wives back to improve their own status (look how giddy Nux gets at the concept of appeasing Immortan Joe). Bullet Farmer on the other hand sees himself as some wasteland Judge Dredd and wants to utterly annihilate her and anyone in the way. Joe actually has to warn him to be careful about the wives.

Bullet Farmer is the Boba Fett of Mad Max.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Gromit posted:

It also seems to be an universal rule that if you make an appointment or set up a date over the phone in a movie, you can only specify the time or the place, but never both. It's either "I'll meet you in an hour" or "I'll meet you at the library." Often it's neither.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

In the original Mad Max you really got the impression that with the world gone to poo poo, the criminals were just bored and once left lawless, they were just doing whatever stupid poo poo they came up with to pass the time and ignore the apocalypse. And then in Thunderdome you see how far that can really go, with the thunderdome itself being a form of apocalyptic entertainment.

If I remember correctly the first film takes place after an oil crisis that severely damages the world economy. The second film changes this to a limited exchange of nuclear weapons and conventional bombing that causes the collapse of all governments, giving rise to people like Lord Humongous, Master Blaster, etc. Granted I haven't seen any of the films in years.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rough Lobster posted:

Bullet Farmer is the Boba Fett of Mad Max.

Essentially every character in Mad Max is Boba Fett

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
When I saw Fury Road I was actually left with the impression that all three of the gang bosses were part of the same family. Brothers or something. I guess that's not actually true, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ultrabindu posted:

If I remember correctly the first film takes place after an oil crisis that severely damages the world economy. The second film changes this to a limited exchange of nuclear weapons and conventional bombing that causes the collapse of all governments, giving rise to people like Lord Humongous, Master Blaster, etc. Granted I haven't seen any of the films in years.

There's actually no way the Mad Max movies can be true stories. In Fury Road Furiosa and Max are around the same age, but Furiosa grew up after the apocalypse while Max was supposedly a cop before it. They have to be myths of the post-apocalyptic world.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jedit posted:

There's actually no way the Mad Max movies can be true stories. In Fury Road Furiosa and Max are around the same age, but Furiosa grew up after the apocalypse while Max was supposedly a cop before it. They have to be myths of the post-apocalyptic world.

Ehh, I think Furiosa is only about 27-8. She just seems older due to her environment. Max is easily just a really spry and fit 45 y/o.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Strudel Man posted:

When I saw Fury Road I was actually left with the impression that all three of the gang bosses were part of the same family. Brothers or something. I guess that's not actually true, though.

I kind of recall they might have been in the same military unit, with Joe the commanding officer? Might have been from prequel comics.

Jedit posted:

I saw a synopsis of the Mad Max stories that said they were like the Arthurian Legends of the post-apocalyptic world. They might have some grains of truth to them, but for the most part they're just legends, fables, myths that you tell your kids around the campfire.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

As cool as Joe's car was, I think I like the bullet farmer's better

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Memento posted:

I kind of recall they might have been in the same military unit, with Joe the commanding officer? Might have been from prequel comics.

Major Kalishnikov, leader of the Bullet Farm, was one of Joe's right-hand men. The People Eater, lord of Gas Town, was the man who told Joe about the water in the Citadel in the first place.

I've also heard a fan theory that the Max of this movie is actually the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior, and was just someone who adopted the name of the legendary wanderer that saved his people a long ways back.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Memento posted:

I saw a synopsis of the Mad Max stories that said they were like the Arthurian Legends of the post-apocalyptic world. They might have some grains of truth to them, but for the most part they're just legends, fables, myths that you tell your kids around the campfire.

This is pretty much how it goes since the Road Warrior was a backwards narration of a legend that occurred. Honestly it works much better then trying to maintain a consistent narrative throughout 40 years of movies.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Memento posted:

I don't know about Arthurian legend as a comparison, because we don't have real-world events to connect Arthur to. The stories in Mad Max are told through the eyes of the people who encountered someone important who once swept through and changed things, while history attributed the stories to the continuing legend of Max. The stories likely happened in their world, despite being embellished.

So you get feral kid from Road Warrior who as a child encountered this dude with a badass car who ended the reign of terror of Humongous, but the dude's name was Dave or something, and then Max sort of became this whisper of a legend while people attributed other stories to him, so the now grown feral kid just added to it. We also see Max depicted as a younger and good looking man instead of probably a rugged ugly dude, like how Jesus is a handsome white guy with straight hair and killer abs. But historians mostly agree that there was a figure named Jesus who had all these stories and gospels written by supposed witnesses about things he may or may not have done, whereas for Arthur or Robin Hood or Scheherazade all you'll find is legend.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know about Arthurian legend as a comparison, because we don't have real-world events to connect Arthur to.

I honestly thought there was some grain of truth in those. I mean obviously some watery tart didn't lob a scimitar at him, forming the basis of government, but I thought there were several historical figures that did various things that were all ascribed to one real 6th-century lord who fought the Saxons. Reading on it really quickly, it looks like the prevailing theory is that I'm wrong, but that there's also no real definitive answer.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I had an argument about this in Uni. Mad Max 1 is not post-apocalyptic in any way shape or form. The trains are running, there is law-enforcement infra-structure with a clear chain of command. When Max and his family go to teh seaside for holidays there are shops and hotels et al. It is just country town bacwoods bush Australia.

Mad Max 2, 3, and 4 are clearly post apocalypse. And I like the idea that "Max" is a name whispered in the ears of children of a legendary warrior/wanderer that will coma and save them, (as he does to the town in 2, the kids in 3, and Furiosa and the brides in 4).

I reckon that perhaps the bloke in 1 and 2 are the same, but in the later films it's just some guy/drifter that uses the name to garner favour with the people he meets, (and the plot of the film is said grifter becomes heroic and a new chapter of the legend is written.)

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Gromit posted:

An ex of mine is the only person I know who does this in real life, and he's a sociopath.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Morpheus posted:

I've also heard a fan theory that the Max of this movie is actually the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior, and was just someone who adopted the name of the legendary wanderer that saved his people a long ways back.

That doesn't make sense, as Fury Road Max has visions of trauma the Max in the previous films experienced.

The effort to canonize everything in the Mad Max movies seems truly misguided to me, though. Having a strict chronology and sequence of events is way down the list of what makes the movies good or interesting. Seems like nerds can never resist this impulse though, just look at Star Wars.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Gromit posted:

According to TV Americans have weird social norms like that. You can also just walk into a house if the door is unlocked. Knock, if nobody answers, try the door and if it's unlocked just walk in. If you encounter someone in the house just say "oh uh the door was open so..." and people will be totally chill about it. Since it wasn't locked it would actually be kinda rude not to go in.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Anosmoman posted:

According to TV Americans have weird social norms like that. You can also just walk into a house if the door is unlocked. Knock, if nobody answers, try the door and if it's unlocked just walk in. If you encounter someone in the house just say "oh uh the door was open so..." and people will be totally chill about it. Since it wasn't locked it would actually be kinda rude not to go in.

Assuming it's not some random dude's house, that sounds kinda normal, especially if they're expected. And my parents and friends just kinda pop in at random sometimes. :canada:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mortanis posted:

It's more irrationally irritating that Costner in Waterworld has a device that can convert piss to drinkable water yet everyone is clamoring for clean water. If it can cleanse piss, it can cleanse sea water.

Not to mention that potable water makers are a thing and have been for a very long time, it's not like Costner would really be the only person with one

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Anosmoman posted:

Hahahaha, is that how it comes across? Probably don't try that or you risk getting ventilated.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Another phobe thing I noticed in the lqst episode of Gotham. Whenever someone gets an unexpected or impossible call they pull the phone away and just stare at it flabbergasted for a couple of seconds. Does anyone ever do that in real life? I can kind of see it with modern phones to check the number r something, but it just looks so stupid and must be incredibly awkward for the actor to do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Assuming it's not some random dude's house, that sounds kinda normal, especially if they're expected. And my parents and friends just kinda pop in at random sometimes. :canada:

I think they meant a random house. Like, the protagonist will see something suspicious, so they go to investigate, and when no one answers the door they just walk in. Then it turns out someone is in there, and they just go "Sorry, the door was open." like that makes it OK.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

StealthArcher posted:

Ehh, I think Furiosa is only about 27-8. She just seems older due to her environment. Max is easily just a really spry and fit 45 y/o.
Some eagle-eyed viewer saw that Max's bloodbag info tattooed on his back said he was 12045 days, so that would make him about 33. My gripe with that is, if he had fulfilled that particular role further along the line, would they have had to update that information? Unless they just keep the date they found him and made him a bloodbag.

Also, there's a continuity error before Max and Furiosa fight next to the War Rig. Nux is initially laying face down where Max dropped him, but there's a few cuts (notably when Max drinks) where he's shown on his back. It's a minor nitpick but that's my IIMM.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

kinmik posted:

Some eagle-eyed viewer saw that Max's bloodbag info tattooed on his back said he was 12045 days, so that would make him about 33. My gripe with that is, if he had fulfilled that particular role further along the line, would they have had to update that information? Unless they just keep the date they found him and made him a bloodbag.

Maybe bloodbags don't tend to last very long?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

kinmik posted:

Some eagle-eyed viewer saw that Max's bloodbag info tattooed on his back said he was 12045 days, so that would make him about 33.

Yeah, I don't think it's the same Max in all the movies, otherwise the world went from the height of civilization to post-apocalytptic feudal era in what, a decade? Less?

How long would it have taken to construct the Citadel to the state we see it in Fury Road, complete with generations of indoctrinated War Boys, fully functional giant plumbing system etc etc? Unless the outback is already like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Van Dis posted:

That doesn't make sense, as Fury Road Max has visions of trauma the Max in the previous films experienced.

He has visions of trauma, but I didn't see how any of those visions were specifically tied to the previous films. He's haunted by some bad poo poo, but that isn't exactly weird considering he's living in a crazy wasteland.

Van Dis posted:

The effort to canonize everything in the Mad Max movies seems truly misguided to me, though. Having a strict chronology and sequence of events is way down the list of what makes the movies good or interesting. Seems like nerds can never resist this impulse though, just look at Star Wars.

George Miller has specifically stated that he never attempted to canonize and tightly bind everything together, so I guess you jumped to conclusions?