Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oxbrain posted:

Stop listening to anything on the radio that isn't music.

But sometimes it's fun listening to Jayne Carroll insist that Planned Parenthood is a satanic cult seeking to get rich from selling dead baby parts. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

Right, but you can mostly solve this for bikes with protected bike lanes, protected intersections, bike trails, etc. and some cities have done this effectively. I don't see an equivalent solution for motorcycles being feasible. Although are we only talking about 'real' motorcycles, or also scooters?

That said, I'd be fine with more motorcycle parking being built.

For longer distance commuting I had actual motorcycles in mind, but scooters make a lot of sense if you're not hitting the freeways.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Rantz seems to be a conservative talk-radio jackass, so I don't put stock in him complaining about the state resorting to lovely regressive poo poo like tolls to get money when I'm sure he's been gung ho about stopping more sane systems for funding poo poo (i.e., income tax).

e: And what's the solution for more general use lanes on 405? Basically, if you get rid of the tolled express lanes, going back to how it was, you could get rid of the HOV lane, but the HOV lane on 405 is pretty much just as hosed as the other lanes, so it'll just fill up too.

loving Sim City on the SNES at least had it right that you can't just always solve traffic problems in a growing region with more lanes, though I don't know what will solve 405.

e2: Would destroying Bellevue and salting the earth help?

foobardog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 30, 2015

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

foobardog posted:

Rantz seems to be a conservative talk-radio jackass, so I don't put stock in him complaining about the state resorting to lovely regressive poo poo like tolls to get money when I'm sure he's been gung ho about stopping more sane systems for funding poo poo (i.e., income tax).

e: And what's the solution for more general use lanes on 405? Basically, if you get rid of the tolled express lanes, going back to how it was, you could get rid of the HOV lane, but the HOV lane on 405 is pretty much just as hosed as the other lanes, so it'll just fill up too.

loving Sim City on the SNES at least had it right that you can't just always solve traffic problems in a growing region with more lanes, though I don't know what will solve 405.

e2: Would destroying Bellevue and salting the earth help?

Add congestion charge system to Bellevue and Seattle.

Bam. Regional traffic problems fixed.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

For longer distance commuting I had actual motorcycles in mind, but scooters make a lot of sense if you're not hitting the freeways.

Long distance commuting by motorcycle sucks. Especially on the freeway. In the rain. Not a viable solution for the sane imo.

Did it for a few years. Too many close calls, near misses, and idiots out there.

Any improvements made for bikes have some residual for motorcycles just due to awareness of two wheeled vehicles.

Bike rant....
Separate roads and trails are the best answer. Slapping them on top of the normal thorough fares is asinine and just pisses everyone off. Use alleys or side streets. Bikes can deal with the "uniqueness" of odd street widths that cars and trucks just can't.

I've gotten into shouting matches in public at the city bike planners in Tacoma for adding bike lanes down the main traffic streets and loving up the car lanes/creating death traps for cyclists when there are double wide side streets everywhere that would just need a bit of paint and a few well placed yield signs to become effective bike trails.

I know it's different in the middle of the city, but man city planners are in such a bunker mentality on this crap. Don't get me started on the bs that is the Seattle Westlake cycle track project. (please do)

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

Bam. Regional traffic problems fixed.

So something like the 405 lanes, but everywhere and more widespread.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Is there some state law against congestion fees? It just seems like it'd be such an easy political win in Seattle to implement one in the city center with it being free or at least reduced for Seattle residents. Solves traffic, incentivizes use of transit, mostly funded by people in the suburbs, what could possibly go wrong?

It's actually an elegant solution, the more I think about it. As long as downtown space is highly desirable and you're not charging extra to use it, it's going to be over-used, that's just like econ 101. A congestion fee would fix that imbalance, and as a side effect would strongly incentivize suburbs to play nice when it came to supporting regional transit plans, because their residents would have real skin in the game then.

Like what do you always hear from suburbs when discussing commuter rail? "Ugh, I don't want MY TAXES to pay for that, I just want to drive!!" But if there was a congestion fee for them to get to where they work in their car, they might change their tune.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2015

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I'm guessing most of the downtown businesses would be against it, because they'll presumably go out of business if people refuse to drive to downtown to patronize them something something.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I'm guessing most of the downtown businesses would be against it, because they'll presumably go out of business if people refuse to drive to downtown to patronize them something something.

Although this sounds feasible, it is not a thing that actually happens; pedestrians and bicyclists walking by a store contribute way, way way more to the wealth of the business than car traffic could ever hope to. So if you prioritize pedestrians in an area, businesses will do better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drunk Tomato posted:

Although this sounds feasible, it is not a thing that actually happens; pedestrians and bicyclists walking by a store contribute way, way way more to the wealth of the business than car traffic could ever hope to. So if you prioritize pedestrians in an area, businesses will do better.

Pedestrians also commonly come out of cars.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

There should be heavy tax incentives for businesses to encourage/allow/enable telecommuting whenever possible. I do it two days a week, and could easily do it every day. I would just need to stop into the office every couple of weeks to pick up any packages that come my way. It would be like getting a raise for everyone- no gas, less morning coffee/breakfast/lunch out, no commute time. Obviously everyone can't do it 24/7, but a hell of a lot more people could do it than now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WayAbvPar posted:

There should be heavy tax incentives for businesses to encourage/allow/enable telecommuting whenever possible. I do it two days a week, and could easily do it every day. I would just need to stop into the office every couple of weeks to pick up any packages that come my way. It would be like getting a raise for everyone- no gas, less morning coffee/breakfast/lunch out, no commute time. Obviously everyone can't do it 24/7, but a hell of a lot more people could do it than now.

I used to VNC into my work machines from home, and always enjoyed the thought that coworkers were watching my computers apparently run themselves, like a ghost was using them.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

WayAbvPar posted:

1 million times this. I can do 90% of my job at home. Technically I don't know that I'm even allowed to (no one else does and it was never mentioned), but I do it anyway every so often.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Drunk Tomato posted:

1 million times this. I can do 90% of my job at home. Technically I don't know that I'm even allowed to (no one else does and it was never mentioned), but I do it anyway every so often.

Sure, once our baby boomer bosses finally retire and take their "seat time = productivity" bullshit with them.

gently caress, I get more done at home then at work.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Supporting other, denser modes more means you can potentially get more people in, not fewer. I mean you don't want to price the fee such that the roads become a ghost town, of course.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Am I the only one who likes a geographical separation between work and home? For me, home is my refuge. I don't want to taint it with the stress of my job.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I do so wish I could. The guy doing desktop support before me was a fuckoff heroin addict, so my east coast boss wants me onsite, but I could do my job easily with one in-office day a week.

SyHopeful posted:

Am I the only one who likes a geographical separation between work and home? For me, home is my refuge. I don't want to taint it with the stress of my job.

Yes. But if you have very specific hours, wouldn't they just be more easily done from your refuge?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So are the new tolled HOV lanes on the 405 causing a traffic-pocalypse? I was driving south on 405 tonight and noticed a huuuge backup of cars going north. I wonder how bad it is in the morning with rush hour, etc.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

SyHopeful posted:

I totally get this. Personally, I have so much downtime at the office that just gets wasted. It's hard for me to work for 8 hours on a computer without taking a ton of tiny breaks. When I work from home, I use that downtime to do things like clean the house, make appointments, call my parents, work out, make lunch, water the plants, run down to the store, etc. Things I can't really do at the office.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

SyHopeful posted:

Definitely. My job can get really stressful and burnout is so common that while there are definitely times where I wish I could telecommute from home for office things (and they're doing a pilot project for my agency where that will be a possibility), I absolutely need the time away from work to decompress. It got so bad last year that I was checking in on things during my vacation, overseas, and had be told by my boss' boss to stop and enjoy my time off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SyHopeful posted:

I mostly worked from home when I was sick or when something really needed my attention. I was the only person in the office that knew how to do certain stuff, so was kind of on-call for that kind of thing even when on vacation. I was salaried, and the weeks I put in over 40 hours were pretty well-balanced against ones I did under 40, but I could see it becoming a problem in some situations. I liked being salaried, but if things spun to the point of essentially constant overtime then it would become a pretty raw deal.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Cicero posted:

Supporting other, denser modes more means you can potentially get more people in, not fewer. I mean you don't want to price the fee such that the roads become a ghost town, of course.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I know that, and I'm 100% pro-congestion charge, but I doubt it would be a super-easy political sell even in the city.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

foobardog posted:

So something like the 405 lanes, but everywhere and more widespread.

This poo poo hurts the poor because they can't afford those charges, but that is the last thing people who live downtown ever think about.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm intrigued in the idea for the long-term benefits, but i'm pretty sure it will wreck all sorts of unintended havoc like driving up housing prices.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mrit posted:

This poo poo hurts the poor because they can't afford those charges, but that is the last thing people who live downtown ever think about.
It actually helps the poor on average in the long run because it leads to better transit, and transit is cheaper than operating your own car everywhere. Isn't part of the new 405 HOV lanes project supposed to speed up bus service there or something?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Isn't part of the new 405 HOV lanes project supposed to speed up bus service there or something?

In theory, yes. In reality, the people who can afford the tolls will win.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SyHopeful posted:

This is a known issue, yes. It's also incredibly hard to work at home for most people unless they have a dedicated room for it (i.e., you're not coding at the kitchen table).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drunk Tomato posted:

I totally get this. Personally, I have so much downtime at the office that just gets wasted. It's hard for me to work for 8 hours on a computer without taking a ton of tiny breaks. When I work from home, I use that downtime to do things like clean the house, make appointments, call my parents, work out, make lunch, water the plants, run down to the store, etc. Things I can't really do at the office.

Also, it's really nice to not have to spend the time commuting.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Cicero posted:

It actually helps the poor on average in the long run because it leads to better transit, and transit is cheaper than operating your own car everywhere. Isn't part of the new 405 HOV lanes project supposed to speed up bus service there or something?

How do HOT lanes and congestion charges lead to better transit? I mean in the real world where people vote against any kind of spending and the nimbys block any expansion of mass transit.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yes. But if you have very specific hours, wouldn't they just be more easily done from your refuge?

Totally, and I know for many people it's a much more appealing option than spending an hour or more every day just getting to work.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Definitely. My job can get really stressful and burnout is so common that while there are definitely times where I wish I could telecommute from home for office things (and they're doing a pilot project for my agency where that will be a possibility), I absolutely need the time away from work to decompress. It got so bad last year that I was checking in on things during my vacation, overseas, and had be told by my boss' boss to stop and enjoy my time off.

I'm approaching burnout too. My job involves traveling to multiple job sites every day so I I easily burn 2-3 hours driving, and I do often end up doing work from home anyway because driving home from most of the job sites can save me 45 minutes to an hour and a half of driving. I still hate doing it, but I hate sitting in rush hour traffic more.

Doesn't help that I have a whopping week and a half of PTO.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

oxbrain posted:

How do HOT lanes and congestion charges lead to better transit? I mean in the real world where people vote against any kind of spending and the nimbys block any expansion of mass transit.

In theory, the evil suburbanites have a flash of insight, realize that transit expansion will solve all their problems, and we all live happily ever after.

In practice, we put even more load on a transit system that is currently operating well above capacity at peak commute times, take bets on just how early the suburban park-and-rides will fill up, and watch the state legislature pander to their constituents by stripping funding from "arrogant Seattle."

That charge wouldn't even be too far out of line. Congestion charges work when you want people to go around a specific area, and they have alternatives. For instance, on congested city surface streets, people can take major roads surrounding the congestion zone, or take London's world-class public transit system. But, we don't have a London-style issue with congested surface streets and lots of alternatives to driving straight through the congestion zone for many drivers. We have surface streets that are actually pretty clear, and really bad highways. Congestion charges on the surface streets alone wouldn't do much. I guess Porsches and Ferraris could have a clear path for stoplight drag races in downtown Bellevue.

Putting a congestion charge on the interstates, though, would just be creating a toll road. First of all, cities can't do that by themselves. Second, even if you found a way to do it legally somehow, it won't really incentivize transit all that much. The pieces of our mass transit system bringing people from suburban homes to city-center jobs are already at capacity or overloaded on weekday mornings. The "congestion charge" alone won't be enough to pay for the massive expansions of transit service we desperately need, just like it wouldn't be enough to build an entire new roadway. People aren't going to move because of the toll, and even if they wanted to, Seattle property values are at a point where it's not realistic for many people. So, they'll sigh, not change their behavior, grumble, pay the tolls, and vote for the guy who promises to gently caress over arrogant Seattle the most.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

oxbrain posted:

Well they invest money creating a new second lane that is only usable by those who are willing to pay for it! After we pay for the new lane that only some people get to use, we will use some of that revenue to enforce the rules of that lane.

And then we wont' get any more lanes!

See Highway 167 for how this has been done for years and never made enough money to pay to expand the freeway--it only pays to cover the extra police enforcement.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

It actually helps the poor on average in the long run because it leads to better transit, and transit is cheaper than operating your own car everywhere.

This only works if you have alternative methods of commuting, buses take longer than a personal car or car pooling. I live in north Seattle and have the option to drive 15 to 20 minutes to work or take a bus that turns my commute into 45 minutes to an hour. I'm lucky since I only have one bus to catch, other friends have to take 2 or 3 buses and they have hour plus commutes, and that's within Seattle city limits. When we have a viable train system I'm all for congestion charges and tolls and whatever other garbage people want, I just don't want to be forced to waste 2 hours of my day because people don't like to sit in traffic for 30 minutes.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

BraveUlysses posted:

Well they invest money creating a new second lane that is only usable by those who are willing to pay for it! After we pay for the new lane that only some people get to use, we will use some of that revenue to enforce the rules of that lane.

And then we wont' get any more lanes!

See Highway 167 for how this has been done for years and never made enough money to pay to expand the freeway--it only pays to cover the extra police enforcement.

Adding GP lanes to freeways to try to ease congestion is completely the wrong move.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Adding a lane for people who want to pay a toll is not either.

gently caress it make it a bus and 3+ carpool only lane, no passes, no cameras, no extra WSP patrols, no bullshit.

Up to three quarters of the revenue collected goes to enforcement of the lanes.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 30, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

Adding a lane for people who want to pay a toll is not either.

gently caress it make it a bus and 3+ carpool only lane, no passes, no cameras, no extra WSP patrols, no bullshit.

Up to three quarters of the revenue collected goes to enforcement of the lanes.

Are you including the offset of how much revenue enforcement generates?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

oxbrain posted:

1. NIMBYs are more likely to support, or at least not fight against transit, if the alternative to using transit to get into the city is paying a congestion charge on their way to work every day. NIMBYs are jerks, but they're not completely irrational.
2. The money from the congestion charge/HOT lane fees can help fund said transit.
3. Relieving congestion in the inner city/on freeway HOT lanes means buses can run faster.
4. More people switching from single occupancy cars to transit means you can run transit routes with higher frequency.

quote:

We have surface streets that are actually pretty clear, and really bad highways. Congestion charges on the surface streets alone wouldn't do much.
A lot of those people on the highways are going into city center. If they're avoiding going there because of a congestion charge, that means they won't go onto the highway, or at least will get off the highway earlier and then take transit or bike in.

A congestion charge isn't a perfect solution, but using one seems better than the status quo overall.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Metaquestion: is TrafficChat really a topic that people think is that important and interesting to talk about, or is it more that it is something that we can actually say something new about?

There is not much chance that we will get an easy plan to end income inequality, but we might get a light rail line to Maple Valley or a street car down Cesar Chavez Blvd.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I think there is definitely an element of bikeshedding about traffic because it's something everyone deals with and has opinions on. It's probably the most prominent interaction with local government people who aren't business owners have.

That said, it is pretty important because workers need to get to work, emergency vehicles need to get around, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

Metaquestion: is TrafficChat really a topic that people think is that important and interesting to talk about, or is it more that it is something that we can actually say something new about?

There is not much chance that we will get an easy plan to end income inequality, but we might get a light rail line to Maple Valley or a street car down Cesar Chavez Blvd.

I think it's something that has a certain commonality across the region, and is more tangible and addressable than larger and more abstract issues.

• Locked thread