Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

QuarkMartial posted:

Those might be on sale or about to go on sale, so you might could get both a standard and a metric set for the same price.

Thanks for the heads up!

SouthsideSaint posted:

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20pc-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-sae-mm/p-00935720000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 These are them. I have them and love them and sears often has them for a little cheaper then the price on the site.

These are currently 50% off at Advance Auto Parts ($50). And the $20 off coupon stacks on top of that. Woot! Unfortunately the additional 20% code I have doesn't work on them due to the sale, but I'm stocking up on various fluids anyway for that one to work.

Semi-related, the Advance Auto Parts website is a buggy mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pictures to follow, but I just found a $20 power hacksaw. Brand is Keller, motor turns and it seems to cycle as designed. It is on a homemade cart as it weighs about 200 lbs. Is it worth anything? I dont have any need, but at $20 why not? It looks circa 1950s to 1970s. Lots of cast iron.

Edit. It's a keller 2B.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 27, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ratcheting screwdriver + these = what you want. Or something similar to those anyway. Even better if you have an electric screwdriver.

These are awesome, thanks! I'll probably pick up a swivel head ratchet as well, just for good measure. Those adapters + impact driver might even be the perfect torque without even busting out the ratchet

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Pictures to follow, but I just found a $20 power hacksaw. Brand is Keller, motor turns and it seems to cycle as designed. It is on a homemade cart as it weighs about 200 lbs. Is it worth anything? I dont have any need, but at $20 why not? It looks circa 1950s to 1970s. Lots of cast iron.

Edit. It's a keller 2B.

I love it and I am jealous forever. It is roughly like a horizontal bandsaw but much slower. Set up right I hear it has some certain advantages. Find me a metal shaper next!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Commodore_64 posted:

I love it and I am jealous forever. It is roughly like a horizontal bandsaw but much slower. Set up right I hear it has some certain advantages. Find me a metal shaper next!

Here it is in action.
https://youtu.be/fkWAWJPfW4s

It needs some adjustment on the ratcheting pawl and it looks like it would benefit from some lube. The mass of the mechanism is shaking my truck on the suspension.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Here it is in action.
https://youtu.be/fkWAWJPfW4s

It needs some adjustment on the ratcheting pawl and it looks like it would benefit from some lube. The mass of the mechanism is shaking my truck on the suspension.

Haha my dad has one of those, I remember watching it slowly cut through round bar stock, just set up to run while he prepared something else.

I'm guessing the advantage is cutting through metal at a true angle, and not ruining any heat treating?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Sup, Warboys and Wargirls. Witness what I did to my TGAW helmet:

And this is the one I use for SMAW right after i painted it awhile back:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

a pair of v good helmets

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

StormDrain posted:

Haha my dad has one of those, I remember watching it slowly cut through round bar stock, just set up to run while he prepared something else.

I'm guessing the advantage is cutting through metal at a true angle, and not ruining any heat treating?

The workshop I worked at in the 90s had one of those auto recip hacksaws. They are pretty cool in the fact you can just walk away from them and do something else, as the machine had auto shut off. Cut isn't super smooth, but it doesn't heat up the metal, (auto lube on the thing as well)
E: It was mainly used for round bar stock there too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 28, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My $260 HF bandsaw does just fine and has auto shutoff as well... it doesn't cut exactly perpendicular to the table, but cuts at exactly the same angle every time, so you can compensate for it if you care.

I mostly use it to cut up 1/4" steel stock right before FCAW/GMAW welding things to the cut end, so it doesn't really matter much to me.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My only advantage is the thing was dirt cheap. It is an OSHA nightmare with the open belt and power switch between the belt and blade. I would venture that the blade it the least dangerous part of the thing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

You use a big Jackson Shadow for stick and a pipeliner for tig?

You're weird.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Yeah, weird is kinda how things always end up for me. I wanted a second helmet so I wouldn't have to switch out lens shades, and I've always liked how the pipeliners look.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

kastein posted:

My $260 HF bandsaw does just fine and has auto shutoff as well... it doesn't cut exactly perpendicular to the table, but cuts at exactly the same angle every time, so you can compensate for it if you care.

I mostly use it to cut up 1/4" steel stock right before FCAW/GMAW welding things to the cut end, so it doesn't really matter much to me.

Yeah, these hacksaws were used for solid stock 1/2" or bigger. Any steel smaller or hollow then use a drop saw or cutting wheel.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm building a desk of out 1.25" galvanized tubing, what is the best tool for getting straight cuts for $50 or less? Amazon, home depot or harbor freight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A pipe cutter meant for electrical conduit and pipe will give you perfectly straight cuts. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-No-15-Tubing-Cutter-32920/100015820

I'm assuming you are using thin wall tubing not thick wall, since you said desk not pallet rack. If I'm wrong, you'll want to find something else to cut with.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

kastein posted:

A pipe cutter meant for electrical conduit and pipe will give you perfectly straight cuts. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-No-15-Tubing-Cutter-32920/100015820

I'm assuming you are using thin wall tubing not thick wall, since you said desk not pallet rack. If I'm wrong, you'll want to find something else to cut with.

I'm using kee klamp fittings size 7, which call for 1.660 OD tubing. I haven't actually bought the tubing yet, so I'm not really sure.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What thickness is considered thin wall?

I was going to buy this.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 30, 2015

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a Ranger Quickjack like this. The 3500lb version.

Today I tried to use it on a modern car for the first time. My '15 Mazda3 has the typical side pinch weld running between the wheels with arrows noting reinforced lifting spots.

The Quickjack isn't long enough to reach both lift points, so my logic was to make sure I was positioned at the front point because that's where the engine weight is, then just as far back on the pinch weld as possible. I was maybe 10 inches from reaching the rear lift point, but it seemed stable and I didn't crush the pinch weld.

It this OK? Today I was just lifting the car to make waxing easier, so I wasn't concerned about getting underneath or anything.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Google Butt posted:

What thickness is considered thin wall?
Under 1mm.
With your budget and with fittings where the cut doesn't have to be precise, use a hacksaw , grinder (if you already have one or can borrow one), or pay someone to cut to length.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fo3 posted:

Under 1mm.
With your budget and with fittings where the cut doesn't have to be precise, use a hacksaw , grinder (if you already have one or can borrow one), or pay someone to cut to length.

Or just have the guys at Home Depot cut it for you for free.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Under 1mm.

How about that $80 harbor freight chop saw? I'd have HD cut them down, but I'd like to have the ability to make my own cuts just in case.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Google Butt posted:

How about that $80 harbor freight chop saw? I'd have HD cut them down, but I'd like to have the ability to make my own cuts just in case.

It's a good option, but you could get equally good or better for cheaper on your local Craigslist probably.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, you got to ask yourself how often are you ever going to use it again.
Buy a cheap one like that you may not ever be able sell it for anything. Buying a name brand second hand after some research, you may be able to sell it for what you paid for it.
If you aren't cutting a lot of steel in the future ever again, getting a drop saw may be useless to you after this project. OTOH a grinder could do the job fine and you might find more uses for it after the project.

I live in aussie, so I'm not the right person to ask about HF tools. Most tools I buy are name brands anyway, mainly makita.
Our cheap tools down here are from bunnings hardware and are named "ozito". They've only made two good electric tools. The old 900w sds rotary hammer drill/demo, and their little battery screwdriver.
E: and after sanding my wooden floors with a rented drum sander I used a bunch of ozito belt and orbital sanders to finish the corners and they were good too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 30, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah those fittings are going to hide all the crimes of imperfect cuts, I'd say get a cheapo grinder and go to town. You'll probably have a lot more uses for that tool in the future vs. a big chop saw. Get a face shield, good gloves, and have a good place to cut without flammable stuff around too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah those fittings are going to hide all the crimes of imperfect cuts, I'd say get a cheapo grinder and go to town. You'll probably have a lot more uses for that tool in the future vs. a big chop saw. Get a face shield, good gloves, and have a good place to cut without flammable stuff around too.

Thanks dudes. I was just thinking I might need square cuts for the the legs, but maybe I can get away with it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Get a good proper mask too since you are cutting galvanized pipe. A cheapo paper filter dust mask (that always leaks) isn't the best and galvanised metal has nasty stuff on it.

Do the cutting with a grinder and a cutting wheel, and buy a grinding disk along with the cutting disks. As long as you don't err on cutting too short, then you have a grinder disk to finish/level things off with anyway. Actually, if you cut one leg too short or rough, then you can grind down the three longer ones... Like I said, grinders are more useful that a drop saw unless you intend to regularly cut a lot of steel to length all day every day.

E: actually, get the supplier to cut to length as suggested before, get a grinder for any alterations.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 30, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Or, hear me out, get a pipe cutter for $15 and not need any of this other ancillary poo poo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I used pipe cutters all day every day for over a decade (E: 2 decades) because I used to be in HVAC. They won't cut 1.6mm galvanised steel reliably. If they do, maybe you'll get 4 cuts out of them with plenty of traintracks (the wheel walking along in a spiral).
They're good for copper and aluminium though. They are just a cutting wheel made of steel that isn't that hard in itself. that's talking about the way more than $15 higher quality HVAC brand ones too. The rigid and chinese ones I had were even worse.

E: VVV
It's not the galvanizing that is the problem, but the thickness of the steel.
Those reviews seem to mention doing only a few cuts, some mentioning traintracks, ie walking, inaccurate cuts besides the one cutting light steel pipe. You can buy a grinder for $25 even in Australia and save a lot of time.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

I used pipe cutters all day every day for over a decade (E: 2 decades) because I used to be in HVAC. They won't cut 1.6mm galvanised steel reliably. If they do, maybe you'll get 4 cuts out of them with plenty of traintracks (the wheel walking along in a spiral).
They're good for copper and aluminium though. They are just a cutting wheel made of steel that isn't that hard in itself.

I haven't cut galvanized steel but reviewers seemed to like the same one I had.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Seriously, both Home Depot and Lowe's cut (and thread) pipe for free (unless you're getting a ton of cuts, then they'll either charge a small fee or say the machine is broken to discourage plumbers from getting a whole house's worth of plumbing cut for them). They have a big motorized pipe cutter that makes perfectly straight cuts in galvanized or black iron pipe in a couple seconds. Just try to go early in the day so they'll be less busy.

If they do say the machine is broken, specify that you only need the pipe cut because threading takes longer (so they're more likely to lie about it) and the threader is more commonly broken (sometimes the dies fall out and get lost) than the motor or cutting wheel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Thanks dudes. I was just thinking I might need square cuts for the the legs, but maybe I can get away with it.

There are only four legs, right? You're buying at least two pieces of pipe and each leg is less than half a pipe length, right? :haw:

Half of the game with pipe and other stock sold by the foot is cleverly arranging your cuts so you have the least waste and the fewest cuts.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've used pipe cutters to chop down gun barrels before. What thickness are those in relation to what you're cutting?

(From 28" down to 19", no funny business...if you're wondering)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

kastein posted:

There are only four legs, right? You're buying at least two pieces of pipe and each leg is less than half a pipe length, right? :haw:

Half of the game with pipe and other stock sold by the foot is cleverly arranging your cuts so you have the least waste and the fewest cuts.

There are 4 legs and 7 supports. If you look at the "rugged" kit on https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com that's the design. I'm not sure of the supports lengths due to the nature of the top.

It's schedule 40 1.25" pipe.

I have no problem spending $80 on that chop saw to have the ability to make my own cuts, I'm more likely to use that again than a $250 pipe cutter.

I did order that cheap pipe cutter to test though.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
In my ongoing quest to fill my garage with wonderful tools that i'll probably never use, i stumbled across an Avdel nutsert kit.

Looks like its never been opened. which is unlikely, as the kit dates from definately pre 1995 (the phone number only has 5 digits), and possibly earlier (when did a 6mm metric thread become an M6 thread? late '80s?)

Its all there though, seems new ones are still on sale for about £80. Not bad for a £10 car boot sale find!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Google Butt posted:

There are 4 legs and 7 supports. If you look at the "rugged" kit on https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com that's the design. I'm not sure of the supports lengths due to the nature of the top.

It's schedule 40 1.25" pipe.

I have no problem spending $80 on that chop saw to have the ability to make my own cuts, I'm more likely to use that again than a $250 pipe cutter.

I did order that cheap pipe cutter to test though.

A hacksaw and a mitre block will give you a pretty straight cut in under a minute.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cakefool posted:

A hacksaw and a mitre block will give you a pretty straight cut in under a minute.

Good idea. I actually just remembered I have a circular saw, I might just buy the appropriate blade and try that

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Good idea. I actually just remembered I have a circular saw, I might just buy the appropriate blade and try that

You'll need a jig to hold the pipe and give the sawplate a flat surface to ride.

Why not just cut them with an angle grinder and then file/grind them square? Use some tape to mark the true/square line, cut the pipe (hacksaw, cutting disc, whatever) as close as you can but outside the final mark, then use a flap-sanding disk to true it up.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Tamir Lenk posted:

You'll need a jig to hold the pipe and give the sawplate a flat surface to ride.

Why not just cut them with an angle grinder and then file/grind them square? Use some tape to mark the true/square line, cut the pipe (hacksaw, cutting disc, whatever) as close as you can but outside the final mark, then use a flap-sanding disk to true it up.

Good call. I'm going to have I'd make the cuts for my legs, since I know for sure what length I want those and then use my angle grinder or reciprocating saw and a flap sanding disc for cleanup. Thanks dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I've used pipe cutters to chop down gun barrels before. What thickness are those in relation to what you're cutting?

(From 28" down to 19", no funny business...if you're wondering)

Why would use use a pipe cutter for that? You still have to re-crown and deal with perfect squareness on the rifling.

Or are you talking about shotgun barrels, which are almost always much, much thinner.