Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

less laughter posted:

I'm not sure that second title is even in the same language as what the show is actually called

Haha, woops. Olive Kitteridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Just means you can turn it off earlier, since we know nobody is watching Larry.

I like the news roundup part of Larry's show, but not the rest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The parts where Larry doesn't get to have an opinion aren't terrible.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hope and vaseline posted:

Don't gently caress this up, Chris Carter.

(he's gonna gently caress it up)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you want to see how fast Chris Carter can gently caress up something that is shaping up to be good go watch the Amazon pilot for The After. Halfway through I was sold on watching the whole series only to have never wanted to watch another second by the time the next 20 minutes had passed. Amazon even decided to shitcan it before it started filming. When he talked about wanting it to go 100 episodes on Amazon before it was ever out it should have been a massive red flag.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

At the very least we'll get some amazing MOTW episodes with Glen Morgan, James Wong, and Darren Morgan behind the helm.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazing? I'm trying not to get too psyched about it. If they're decent I'll be happy. The last movie was terrible, so if it's better than that shitheap, yay.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress is the Cigarette Smoking Man still alive? We saw him burn up in his wheelchair in a massive explosion in the series finale!

Like ok, aliens are real and so is the monster that ate Queequeg, but that old man cannot cheat death and the character should be put to rest.

:colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rabbit Hill posted:

Like ok, aliens are real and so is the monster that ate Queequeg, but that old man cannot cheat death and the character should be put to rest.

Agreed. The X-Files is best when its rooted in American mythology, not when its creating its own. I want episodes on 9/11, wiretapping, drones, the president's muslim cabal, bigfoot reality shows--you know, the outlandish conspiracies and monsters that make America great.

edit: If Mulder even references the "Michelle Obama a Man?" video, I will die laughing. That is easily the greatest conspiracy of all time.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 30, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

If you want to see how fast Chris Carter can gently caress up something that is shaping up to be good go watch the Amazon pilot for The After. Halfway through I was sold on watching the whole series only to have never wanted to watch another second by the time the next 20 minutes had passed. Amazon even decided to shitcan it before it started filming. When he talked about wanting it to go 100 episodes on Amazon before it was ever out it should have been a massive red flag.

I was willing to give at least the second episode a try after watching the pilot, but then again I'm a dummy who really, really, really wants another Lost.

Heroes Reborn might scratch that itch, I need to rewatch the first two episodes again though because at some point my attention slid fully to my phone while I was watching instead of it being an occasional distraction like it usually while is watching TV. Same thing happens when watching Agents of Shield.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 30, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon picked up the Jack Ryan TV show Carlton Cuse has been pitching.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've watched all those Tom Clancy movies and cannot describe anything about the Jack Ryan character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

I've watched all those Tom Clancy movies and cannot describe anything about the Jack Ryan character.

He's like a cross between Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Ben Affleck, and that bland guy from Star Trek (no not that bland one, the other bland one).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

He's like a cross between Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Ben Affleck, and that bland guy from Star Trek (no not that bland one, the other bland one).

Next time you're fishing for a movie on Netflix, you should watch Stretch.

You're welcome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

There really isn't anything special with him, just that he's a name brand spy that they can use to tell CIA stories.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tonight's episode of The Muppets was excellent. If it keeps going on this vein (and I'm sure it will) it will fill the void left by The Office, 30 Rock, and, er, The Muppets very nicely.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I hope Scream Queens gets cancelled before it's time so that it doesn't get ruined.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

There really isn't anything special with him, just that he's a name brand spy that they can use to tell CIA stories.

There is but if you haven't read the books I understand that opinion completely. The movies were not great, aside from the Harrison Ford ones.

That said there is no reason to make a tv show and it will be terrible as Tom Clancy went completely overboard with the character and made him president in a 9-11 style attack years before 9-11 then went absolutely batshit insane after 9-11 and wrote a bunch of abject garbage Call of Duty single player campaign grade stupid poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully the show will be more of the Harrison Ford variety and less of the massive craziness that Clancey became.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

There is but if you haven't read the books I understand that opinion completely. The movies were not great, aside from the Harrison Ford ones.

That said there is no reason to make a tv show and it will be terrible as Tom Clancy went completely overboard with the character and made him president in a 9-11 style attack years before 9-11 then went absolutely batshit insane after 9-11 and wrote a bunch of abject garbage Call of Duty single player campaign grade stupid poo poo.

While Clancy was terrible the post 9-11 stuff wasn't actually him. Red Rabbit and Teeth of the Tiger only have his name but they were ghostwritten.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

While Clancy was terrible the post 9-11 stuff wasn't actually him. Red Rabbit and Teeth of the Tiger only have his name but they were ghostwritten.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't trust anyone with two first names.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GreenNight posted:

Are you talking about Tom Clancy or David Michaels?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Well maybe it's both so they cancel each other out!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Did anyone else watch The Grinder?

It was easily my favorite new show this season. It's legitimately clever and has some really good jokes, and Rob Lowe is literally just playing Chris Traeger again. I just got around to watching it as it was last on my DVR queue, but goddamn that was a good watch.

Seriously, check it out.

The "quick sec" gag had me in stitches.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, it was the only new comedy I was interested in this season and I loved it. Also has a hell of a cast.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I really hope Kumail is recurring. The entire cast was strong. Even the kid actors are on point.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

huh. Red Rabbit was actually good, though, IIRC, although I WAS a teenager then. Never read the other one, though. Although part of why it was good is that it was a prequel set in the 80's, so didn't involve the insanity stemming from the end of Debt of Honor. I would kind of like to see Jack Ryan the TV series pull that off as the ending to like, Season 3 or something. hahahahaahahah yeah that would get people talking.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The entire cast was strong. Even the kid actors are on point.

That's actually not that rare anymore these days, what with Blackish, Fresh Off the Boat, The Goldbergs etc. which all feature excellent kid actors as well, especially Blackish.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Rainbow Six book is terrible.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

less laughter posted:

That's actually not that rare anymore these days, what with Blackish, Fresh Off the Boat, The Goldbergs etc. which all feature excellent kid actors as well, especially Blackish.

I believe you, though I don't watch any of those. I tried the Goldbergs but the pilot didn't grab me. Did it ever get good?

The kid from Once Upon a Time made me hate all kid actors.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Goldbergs is real solid, mainly due to efforts by Barry Goldberg and Mother Goldberg. Lead character is also fine, and currently going through puberty in real life making it super awkward but not quite as bad that time Duey from Malcolm in the Middle went from being the adorable one to a freak.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The Rainbow Six book is terrible.

The Rainbow Six book was made in combination with the game if I remember correctly; their releases were within days of each other.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I believe you, though I don't watch any of those. I tried the Goldbergs but the pilot didn't grab me. Did it ever get good?

The kid from Once Upon a Time made me hate all kid actors.

I dunno, the kids from Fresh off the Boat are loving epic. And Hope from Raising Hope was always the same baby and always amazing growing throughout the seasons. In Modern Family, it's a given that everyone but Manny is tolerable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Grinder

X-O posted:

Yeah, it was the only new comedy I was interested in this season and I loved it. Also has a hell of a cast.

Yeah same, and despite knowing most of the gags I still enjoyed the hell out of the pilot. Always looked the strongest, and I think it's got a good enough high concept idea to run with it for a while.

Here's a thread because people should watch it and quote endlessly the funny things - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744409

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

About the only thing I don't like about Limitless is Bradley Cooper's stupid haircut, it just looks awful. The show itself is great, it has a fun high energy to it that keeps things snappy. I also liked how they solved this week's case, it was an interesting way to do it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Didn't know that, usually his ghostwriters were credited. Red Rabbit was actually kind of alright.

GreenNight posted:

Not even David Simon?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Everybody with even a tangential curiosity in Game of Thrones needs to watch this video.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Westworld remake soundin dope as hell.

quote:

The consent agreement was given to an unknown number of extras by Central Casting, which is casting the show’s background players. It states: “This document serves to inform you that this project will require you to be fully nude and/or witness others fully nude and participate in graphic sexual situations. By accepting this Project assignment, you may be required to do any of the following: appear fully nude; wear a pubic hair patch; perform genital-to-genital touching; have your genitals painted; simulate oral sex with hand-to-genital touching; contort to form a table-like shape while being fully nude; pose on all fours while others who are fully nude ride on your back; ride on someone’s back while you are both fully nude; and other assorted acts the Project may require. The Project will also include language and sexual situations that some may consider personally objectionable or uncomfortable.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Didn't know that, usually his ghostwriters were credited. Red Rabbit was actually kind of alright.

I'm assuming that even he realized how terrible Teeth of the Tiger was and told his publisher not to sole credit him on that poo poo anymore.

• Locked thread