Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

What land of miracles and heavenly goodness do you hail from to have never seen this before?

Have you seen the ol' ipad on the steering wheel trick yet?

My personal best is iPad on steering wheel watching a YouTube makeup tutorial while doing said make up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I saw a woman doing her makeup in her rear-view mirror today.

I never thought I'd see it in real life.

A week ago I was behind a girl who had both hands on top of the wheel, holding her cell & texting with both thumbs while she did around 15 under the limit & swerved between lanes. Never underestimate human stupidity.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

My personal best is iPad on steering wheel watching a YouTube makeup tutorial while doing said make up.

Wow.
I've seen ipad on lap with Google maps before but holy poo poo, that's not just personal best, that's go to be top 10 worldwide.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Linedance posted:

Wow.
I've seen ipad on lap with Google maps before but holy poo poo, that's not just personal best, that's go to be top 10 worldwide.

Oh ye of little faith

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Impressive! Best I can do is ipad on steering wheel playing one of those gem games whilst driving down the motorway at 10pm, making spastic course corrections every 100-odd meters.

For some reason I'm also reminded of the guy I saw reading a hardback novel whilst sitting in traffic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slavvy posted:

What land of miracles and heavenly goodness do you hail from to have never seen this before?

Have you seen the ol' ipad on the steering wheel trick yet?

I mean, I live in San Diego and I've seen lots of bad drivers but I've somehow never seen that particular kind of bad driver before and I've only ever heard of them in 1950s comedies or sexist email forwards.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was actually in a car with a woman doing her makeup, using the rearview mirror, while taking the spiral ramp onto Brooklyn Bridge :stonk:

She was using both hands to do the makeup and steering with her knee. :stonk: Doing 15-20 over the ramp speed.

It was the Manhattan-bound one, so not as tight as the bk-bound side, but still. First and last time I ever sat in that car, holy gently caress.

For reference: https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B042%2702.9%22N+73%C2%B059%2720.6%22W/@40.700798,-73.989066,148m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol if you can't heel toe up shift when juggling a lit cigarette and trying to Pound down enough caffeine to counteract the all night bender that's going to make you late for work if you miss even a single stop light and making sure you post that as your status on facebook while you do it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I mean, I live in San Diego and I've seen lots of bad drivers but I've somehow never seen that particular kind of bad driver before and I've only ever heard of them in 1950s comedies or sexist email forwards.

Then you are that driver, or you don't commute. Because I'm in the same area.

Edit: also guy with etrade open on his iPad, which was attached to the wheel...with laptop on the pass seat. Pretty sure he was trading stocks while trying to wipe me out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iwentdoodie posted:

Then you are that driver, or you don't commute. Because I'm in the same area.

Very likely. I go to work at about five in the morning and go home around two or three in the afternoon.

Plenty of almost crashing into someone who didn't know what turn signals or blind spots are when they merge right in front of me, though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Naturally Selected posted:

I was actually in a car with a woman doing her makeup, using the rearview mirror, while taking the spiral ramp onto Brooklyn Bridge :stonk:

She was using both hands to do the makeup and steering with her knee. :stonk: Doing 15-20 over the ramp speed.

It was the Manhattan-bound one, so not as tight as the bk-bound side, but still. First and last time I ever sat in that car, holy gently caress.

For reference: https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B042%2702.9%22N+73%C2%B059%2720.6%22W/@40.700798,-73.989066,148m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

My response to all these terrified driver posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7Mu1PDjsw&t=37s

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Terrified passenger that time. It's not DID I DIE, it's that it's a level of dangerous fucktard that you should not be exposed to. I'd rather get hit by a piss-icicle from an overflying plane than get maimed because some idiot had to do her makeup RIGHT THEN.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_inkLZAfPA

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Very likely. I go to work at about five in the morning and go home around two or three in the afternoon.

Plenty of almost crashing into someone who didn't know what turn signals or blind spots are when they merge right in front of me, though.

I live in the IE (well, technically) and commute to Oceanside area daily. 520ish and 1500 for me, and it's daily to see idiocy like that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

A week ago I was behind a girl who had both hands on top of the wheel, holding her cell & texting with both thumbs while she did around 15 under the limit & swerved between lanes. Never underestimate human stupidity.

Teenager in town died doing this 7-8 years ago. One of the first responders I knew was pretty certain it was the result of texting, since :nms: both arms had passed through the steering wheel up to the shoulder. Hands had been resting on the hub holding the phone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Husband texted me - a coworker is selling her 2001 Prius and he wants to buy it.

I think the terrible car stuff is in my family?

I'd drive a Prius for cheap any day. Save the wear and tear on the cool cars.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NoWake posted:

Teenager in town died doing this 7-8 years ago. One of the first responders I knew was pretty certain it was the result of texting, since :nms: both arms had passed through the steering wheel up to the shoulder. Hands had been resting on the hub holding the phone.

So her arms went THROUGH the steering wheel assembly, not around? :gonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Oh Jer-Bear, you've just learned a valuable lesson

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

8ender posted:

Oh Jer-Bear, you've just learned a valuable lesson

Yea, foil tape is terrible insulation. :laugh:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I work a swing shift so I'm off work at 10pm. Around that time, theres not much traffic. Today I nearly took out a person who decided that longboarding in middle of the 2 lane road dressed in all black was a good idea. When I passed them they were using the left turn lane to go down another street. wtf people.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sudo Echo posted:

hi i'm johnny knoxville and this is the law of gravity

http://i.imgur.com/y1nWFvm.gifv

edited to not be hueg

Where did they think it was going to go? Just stay up in the sky, floating?
Bet they didn't think it was going to go as high as it did.

Please tell me he posted a picture.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Baller Witness Bro posted:

My response to all these terrified driver posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7Mu1PDjsw&t=37s

from the related videos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQkOoqHm7O8

Seems safe.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Impressive! Best I can do is ipad on steering wheel playing one of those gem games whilst driving down the motorway at 10pm, making spastic course corrections every 100-odd meters.

For some reason I'm also reminded of the guy I saw reading a hardback novel whilst sitting in traffic.

Ipads on the steering wheel, or phone in the crotch is pretty much standard operating procedure here on i-225. It's also the reason there is at least 1 3 car pile up EVERY SINGLE DAY on my commute home. If it was legal to put a 45 slug through their engine block I would.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Man, and I feel guilty if I so much as take my right hand off the wheel to press the sleep button on my ithing then stab wildly at "next track"

Why did you stop working, "shake to shuffle"? :(

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Ever since I spawned a tiny human I've sworn off loving with my phone while driving, but I still get really annoyed some times when I hear a text come in or I need to change to a different album or something. It seems like in those moments -- and only those moments -- every traffic light in the universe turns green and I can't catch a red to save my life. Of course I could just pull over and check my text but who's gonna do that.

I don't really need self-driving cars I just want adaptive cruise control and lane-correction to move down to cheap cars like mine. I don't need the car to take me where I'm going but if it could just handle the not-running-into-the-car-in-front-of-me at 6 MPH part of rush hour traffic so I really could play with my phone during those times that would be sweet.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
If only there were a technology that auto makers could incorporate into their cars which could be navigated by touch and had an innate haptic feedback mechanism.

They could take this amazing future-tech and do things like use it to control the climate control and radio, so that people could use these devices without looking away from the road.

But yeah, death by Phylaris' Bull seems about the mark for texting or computing while driving.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 30, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft mechanical controls are so 20th century. If it doesn't involve multi-touch it's old man stuff.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
This is a junction near where I live right now -

Good luck with that diversion!

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I once saw a woman limo driver reading a paperback novel on the 401, going 120km/h. When the people in my car started taking pictures she looked at us like we were the crazy ones.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mustard_tiger posted:

a woman limo driver

:eyepop:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
woops

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I don't think they go together that way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sideways into a pole structural beam?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPcR2h2QME

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That or someone really, really hosed up putting it on a lift.

e:f;b

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Lamborghinis are like worms you see

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Seems like Lamborghinis and Ferraris do this.

Swedish mobster's split Enzo:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I really like how trees just don't give a single gently caress about cars hitting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fyodor posted:

Seems like Lamborghinis and Ferraris do this.

Swedish mobster's split Enzo:

You could find a similar picture of pretty much any high performance car

Anyway I'm sure you could send it off to Russia and get it fixed right away