Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Looks like I'll be going to the GF with a WC supporting mate who's never been to a final before, only standing room tickets but should be fun nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

gabensraum posted:

Some of these are no-brainers I reckon, but some are bloody hard. GWS? Put a blanket over them.
Also I didn't check to see if any of these were suspended, I presume we still get points for any votes they poll even if ineligible?

On a work trip, only just got around to this. I think I went alright with 291, who's in the lead?
The only real howler was GWS. Callan Ward with 19 votes! Nice work young man.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Spedman posted:

Looks like I'll be going to the GF with a WC supporting mate who's never been to a final before, only standing room tickets but should be fun nonetheless.

Standing room is actually the best for a GF. What bay?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Eagles are talking up matching the Geelong RFA offer for Scott Selwood, they want an early 2nd round pick instead of the pick 37/38 they'll get out of compensation, and if Geelong refuses to trade they claim they want to keep him anyway, and can still afford to trade for Jetta.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

The Eagles are talking up matching the Geelong RFA offer for Scott Selwood, they want an early 2nd round pick instead of the pick 37/38 they'll get out of compensation, and if Geelong refuses to trade they claim they want to keep him anyway, and can still afford to trade for Jetta.

Honestly, they would be better off without Selwood. He doesn't hurt the team when he's out there but nobody is shaking in their boots at the damage that Scott Selwood can inflict on the football field. But they should push for the Cats second rounder since that would be where he's rated on the open market.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

spamman posted:

Standing room is actually the best for a GF. What bay?

No idea at this stage, we managed to get them of another friend who's an Eagles member and can't make the journey over.

In 2013 I was given one of those fancy $2.5k package tickets and the seats were pretty fantastic, back of the second level directly opposite the members.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It doesn't look like Dodoro has been shitcanned:
http://m.afl.com.au/draft/road-to-the-draft

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The only grand final I've been to was 2001, standing room, atmosphere was great, view of the game not so much especially given I was young and short.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Thank gently caress

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

How the hell would the Cats be able to trade for Dangerfield, Selwood AND Henderson in the one trade period? Even with future picks I see that being almost impossible as if they trade a future first rounder for Danger then they can't trade any of the other picks from that draft. They'll probably have to trade a decent player to make it happen.

I kinda hope the FA offers get matched cause it'll be super interesting to see what they do.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Listening to KB this morning, he had John Ralph on and they started talking about trading and how good Essendon might be next year, then this one bloke rings up and berates them for not talking about the "bloody grand final" thats happening in 3 days. There was no more trade/Essendon chat after that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

how good Essendon might be next year

was the answer 'not very'?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Essendon are dumb, can only hope it turns into a Malthouse/carlton scenario because that would be funny, WCE premiership coach fails to turn around vic team redux.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
woosha gets the spiel from the board after being hired that they feel that the list is only a couple of steps away from a premiership and they expect him to finish top 4 every year

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Solemn Sloth posted:

With Dodoro still in charge I'm sure Essendon will make some thoughtful trades that will firmly position them to make a strong tilt at the finals

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-30/afl-grand-final-players-analysed/6809230

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
% of players born overseas hasnt increased much

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Apparently our final 3 are Worsfold, McCartney and Burns who were all very impressive. The thing is I can think of pros and cons for all of them but with our decision making in the past I know I'll be conditioned to immediately focus on the cons of whoever is chosen and the pros of the 2 that miss out and I'll be nervous as gently caress that we hosed up again. It would be nice to sit back and go "wow, we made a really good decision there" for once when it comes to this club. Although I guess I got that when Hird was sacked.

Also listening to the Bluey interview with Mike Sheehan, he came across really well and I think if Worsfold is chosen I won't be unhappy to have McKenna as an assistant. Some people have a problem with that being "too much West Coast" but meh. If it means they will gel well and work as a good team and give them some solidarity it's harder to view them as "outsider non Essendon people" then I'm all for it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nope, they were pretty convinced that Essendon would do a "Bulldogs" in 2016, and use the two first round draft picks they're gonna get wisely.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Nope, they were pretty convinced that Essendon would do a "Bulldogs" in 2016, and use the two first round draft picks they're gonna get wisely.

:laffo:

Last year it was pretty obvious that the bulldogs had a hell of a lot of young talent, people wrote them off in the short term for off field considerations. I don't know that I'd say the same about Essendon's kids.

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!

Negligent posted:

% of players born overseas hasnt increased much

You'd think a lot of second generation people would be in the league. I think unless you came over very young you'd already be attached to a sport.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Probably a more interesting measure would be people who identify as ethnicities other than australian/british.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
titus oreillys guide to melbourne is pretty great http://titusoreily.com/a-guide-to-melbourne-for-west-coast-fans/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

McPharlin as officially retired, he and Pav held the team together for a decade.

I really hope A. Pearce keeps rapidly improving and Silvagni stops being a loving moron next year.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Carlton coach Brendon Bolton has unveiled his new coaching team, along with a restructure of the Club’s fitness department.

Over the past month, Bolton has been working closely with Head of Football Andrew McKay and Carlton triple premiership player Ken Sheldon, to get the best possible coaching personnel in place and after a rigorous interview process four new appointments have been made.

Former Adelaide coach Neil Craig has been appointed as the new Director of Coaching, Development and Performance. Craig, a veteran of 319 SANFL games, was the Crows’ fitness adviser through the premierships of 1997 and ’98. He was later appointed Adelaide’s senior coach taking the Crows to the minor premiership in 2005 and five consecutive finals series. Most recently Craig has been the General Manager of Performance at Essendon.

Carlton’s caretaker coach for 2015, John Barker, will remain at the Blues and will take on the new role of stoppages coach. He will be joined in the assistant coaching ranks by three coaches who are new to Carlton: Tim Clarke, Shane Watson and Dale Amos.

Tim Clarke, a veteran of 96 AFL games for the Hawks from 2001-08, was most recently Richmond’s VFL coach. He will work with the Blues’ midfield.

Shane Watson comes to Carlton from North Melbourne where he has been an assistant coach since 2010. Watson will work with Carlton’s forward line.

Dale Amos has worked with Geelong since 2009, spending three seasons as the Cats’ VFL coach before joining the AFL coaching ranks. He will take on the role of backline coach.

Meanwhile, Mathew Capuano will remain at Carlton as a development coach and continue his work with the Blues’ academy.

Bolton says he’s eager to get to work with his new team.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

TG-Chrono posted:

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton has unveiled his new coaching team, along with a restructure of the Club’s fitness department.

Over the past month, Bolton has been working closely with Head of Football Andrew McKay and Carlton triple premiership player Ken Sheldon, to get the best possible coaching personnel in place and after a rigorous interview process four new appointments have been made.

Former Adelaide coach Neil Craig has been appointed as the new Director of Coaching, Development and Performance. Craig, a veteran of 319 SANFL games, was the Crows’ fitness adviser through the premierships of 1997 and ’98. He was later appointed Adelaide’s senior coach taking the Crows to the minor premiership in 2005 and five consecutive finals series. Most recently Craig has been the General Manager of Performance at Essendon.

Carlton’s caretaker coach for 2015, John Barker, will remain at the Blues and will take on the new role of stoppages coach. He will be joined in the assistant coaching ranks by three coaches who are new to Carlton: Tim Clarke, Shane Watson and Dale Amos.

Tim Clarke, a veteran of 96 AFL games for the Hawks from 2001-08, was most recently Richmond’s VFL coach. He will work with the Blues’ midfield.

Shane Watson comes to Carlton from North Melbourne where he has been an assistant coach since 2010. Watson will work with Carlton’s forward line.

Dale Amos has worked with Geelong since 2009, spending three seasons as the Cats’ VFL coach before joining the AFL coaching ranks. He will take on the role of backline coach.

Meanwhile, Mathew Capuano will remain at Carlton as a development coach and continue his work with the Blues’ academy.

Bolton says he’s eager to get to work with his new team.

I heard they were seriously weighing up between the corpses of the original three stooges, The Goodies and these blokes and it was a narrow vote margin.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
From next season, Carlton ask for a review every time they kick a behind

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

Most recently Craig has been the General Manager of Performance at Essendon.
Not sure I like that...

TG-Chrono posted:

Carlton’s caretaker coach for 2015, John Barker, will remain at the Blues.
I like this though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Neil Craig: Melbourne, Essendon and now Carlton. What a run.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Solemn Sloth posted:

Last year it was pretty obvious that the bulldogs had a hell of a lot of young talent, people wrote them off in the short term for off field considerations. I don't know that I'd say the same about Essendon's kids.

It's not so much Essendons kids as what their mature players will do when finally freed from the tyranny of James Hird's peptide program. Without a preseason they looked very good against the Swans and Hawks in rounds 1 and 2. Their list has question marks all over it as far as I'm concerned, and while I'm sure they wont go as well as the Bulldogs next year they could find themselves threatening the lower part of the 8.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Other than Hooker, Hurley, Heppel and Haniher I don't rate Essendon that much for next year.

Also Harley Bennel wants to return home to Perth. I am sure this will end well for all parties.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Solemn Sloth posted:

Other than Hooker, Hurley, Heppel and Haniher I don't rate Essendon that much for next year.

Also Harley Bennel wants to return home to Perth. I am sure this will end well for all parties.

See that's the thing, you nor I have any decent evidence to rate them on, one way or the other. They are the mystery box of next season. Are they the side that blew the Hawks away early, got ran down and steeled themselves to pinch a win anyway? Are they the broken shell of a team that had to send their captain away mid season to deal with the terrible emotional toll of being at Essendon? Are they the finals quality side of 2013-2014? Did having literally 0 preseason really gently caress them that hard? Will bringing in a new coach produce some actual morale? Will the ASADA affair finally conclude?

Who

The gently caress

Knows

Insufficient data required for meaningful answer

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Barrett on MMM just now fessing up to a heated conversation between himself and the drink (in the toilets after the Brownlow) having asked for clarification re: Talia. That must have been awkward as gently caress for Beveridge.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Spedman posted:

Nah, I'd have been shocked if they got rid of him so close to the draft. We aren't (quite) that stupid.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Essendon has a few promising kids on the list but none who look like being able to turn a game single handedly the way Stringer, Bontempelli and (soon) Boyd can. I don't think there are any players of that caliber in this draft likely to be available at Essendon's pick/picks either so I don't think it will be as meteoric a rise as the Bulldogs' was this year. In any case I think we'd be better off tanking developing the kids next year and aiming for a similar ladder position and another handful of decent draft picks.

Having said that, no one has seen most of the list play without the specter of the ASADA scandal dragging on them apart from a couple of games at the start of the year where an underdone team came close to beating a top four side and beat one of the eventual premiership contenders so in theory anything is possible.

The kids that look like they'll be the core of the next generation are Daniher, Z. Merrett, Laverde, Langford, Gleeson, with Ashby, Fantasia, Edwards and J. Merrett being maybes. Add a couple of first and second round draftees this year and it starts to look alright, but unless a couple of them turn out to be out and out stars I don't think it is a future premiership winning list even in 5-6 years.

I'd say Dodoro is continuing the fine old Essendon tradition of overrating the playing list. I guess they're trying to sell a bit of optimism as membership renewal season approaches.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Same, although there is a fair bit of potential in the youth but that'll take a few years for people to sit up and take notice of. Also no one rates Haguley even though he was one of the best small defenders in the league this year. Goddard, Watson, Stanton, Hocking and Myers are decent but definitely past their best due to age or injuries in Myers case.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

on the plus side at least you're getting rid of helksham.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Testekill posted:

Barrett on MMM just now fessing up to a heated conversation between himself and the drink (in the toilets after the Brownlow) having asked for clarification re: Talia. That must have been awkward as gently caress for Beveridge.

...the drink?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Jobe probably won't be hating life (and coach) next year as well.

Lyon was very coy about picking Bennel when asked today.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Colin Sylvia except coke instead of maccas

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Spedman posted:

Jobe probably won't be hating life (and coach) next year as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if Freo were getting desperate enough to take a punt of Bennell while also trading something significant for McCarthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Freo were getting desperate enough to take a punt of Bennell while also trading something significant for McCarthy.

Seems way less appealing if Pav is actually retiring.

• Locked thread