Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

oohhboy posted:

Fukushima did very well considering, even the radiation leak has been over blown all out of proportion, that said, back up generators in the basement is dumb as hell. If you do put down a nuke plant in NZ, you would do it on the shores of Lake Taupo. If Taupo blows, we would all be kissing our asses goodbye anyway.

You generally don't build nuclear plants really close to multiple recently active volcanoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We could just leave the nuclear stuff to Australia, they were starting to do some really good work with Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor research.

And then, y'know. Tony Abbott, research that would benefit people that aren't him. Oil, water.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You generally don't build nuclear plants really close to multiple recently active volcanoes.

Yeah but what if you did, it would be a disaster

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

We could just leave the nuclear stuff to Australia, they were starting to do some really good work with Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor research.

And then, y'know. Tony Abbott, research that would benefit people that aren't him. Oil, water.

iirc a lot of people in different places are doing research into thorium reactors, but because there's no way of using them for weapon production they were neglected for normal reactors back in the day so the technology is like 60 years behind, and there's not that much interest in funding it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
we should put nuclear plants in remuera and the north shore

we don't need the power or anything i just want to see them squirm

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Where else would one place a super villain lair?

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

But to be fair, those people are obviously unaware that Fukushima weathered the earthquake in a textbook manner, it was the 13 foot tsunami that killed it.

That and the poor management.

The only place one could go in New Zealand would be in Northland (ie: as far away from fault lines as possible)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Binkenstein posted:

That and the poor management.

The only place one could go in New Zealand would be in Northland (ie: as far away from fault lines as possible)

Stick it on the chatham islands, they wouldn't need to use Diesel anymore

just run a loving cable

also make sure none of those inbred weirdos manage to stow away on the ships and planes taking stuff there.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

Lancelot posted:

Speaking of which, this is an actual post from a group on Facebook protesting against a prison in Forrest Hill

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Lancelot posted:

Like they'd ever be able to build reactors next to rich white people. Nuclear reactors would have to go in places like East Cape or maybe Northland if you can find somewhere far enough away from the bach of anyone important.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

how postmodern

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

Like they'd ever be able to build reactors next to rich white people. Nuclear reactors would have to go in places like East Cape or maybe Northland if you can find somewhere far enough away from the bach of anyone important.

Just put it in Mike Sabin's back yard. Like, literally.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Exclamation Marx posted:

how postmodern

should have put it on red peak

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008
Fleg!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
That muppet grin of Little's though....

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Seems like the only grumpy photo of Key they could find is from like 2008?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

looks more like hungover key

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Isn't that from the press announcement immediately after Pike River? I mean, I hate Key as much as the next man but it seems lovely to take a photo of him looking sad in the wake of a tragedy and use it as "lol he looks grumpy".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Isn't that from the press announcement immediately after Pike River? I mean, I hate Key as much as the next man but it seems lovely to take a photo of him looking sad in the wake of a tragedy and use it as "lol he looks grumpy".

lmao are you for real?

loving labour manage to gently caress up literally everything

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Two Finger posted:

should have put it on red peak

Should have used a photo of Key touching girls' hair

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key talks to the media at a press conference at The Beehive, New Zealand Parliament Buildings on November 5, 2012 in Wellington, New Zealand. The findings of the royal commission into New Zealand's Pike River mine disaster have been made public today. It has been almost two years since the explosions at the coal mine on the South Island, killing 29 people.

so not directly after the tragedy itself, but still :rip:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
wait wait wait is that an official Labour thing and not some internet photoshop?

holy poo poo Andy Little what a loving disaster of a human being you are. It's like god spilled a person.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

showed up on my fb feed not long after i saw it here

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Exclamation Marx posted:

how postmodern

Reminds me of that IWI/KIWI election board they had up in 2008.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Reminds me of that IWI/KIWI election board they had up in 2008.

I thought that was Brash in 2005 who ran that line. So assuming the same pattern we should expect Jacinda to take Labour to victory in 2020.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Two Finger posted:

showed up on my fb feed not long after i saw it here

I'll tell you Labour.

It's compression artifacts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Actually, it's from his appearance on Close Up in regards to the Pike River Report. Dunno if the press conference came first, but it was at least probably recorded on the same day. But hey, "lol loving Labour," right?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

wait wait wait is that an official Labour thing and not some internet photoshop?

holy poo poo Andy Little what a loving disaster of a human being you are. It's like god spilled a person.

Yeah I'm sure Andrew Little is personally responsible for picking the photo of key that goes on a picture for social media.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Actually, it's from his appearance on Close Up in regards to the Pike River Report. Dunno if the press conference came first, but it was at least probably recorded on the same day. But hey, "lol loving Labour," right?

um actually it was me that was going lol loving labour

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Vagabundo posted:

The context is basically the same tho.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

The context is basically the same tho.

Not really though, when the press conference and presumably the Close Up appearance (I've been looking for footage of the appearance but it has apparently disappeared) was about Key trying to downplay the role that deregulation of the mining industry had in the disaster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Am I missing some vital piece of information or is this genuinely a really poo poo and useless graph?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Jon Stephenson, who reported on Our Brave Boys In The SAS being complicit in the torture of prisoners, has won his defamation case against the Defence Force
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11522106

Slavvy posted:

Am I missing some vital piece of information or is this genuinely a really poo poo and useless graph?

I thought Labour's downward trend was interesting

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Helen was their last hurrah.

It's actually a pretty impressive turn-around - although part of that is probably due to the natural see-saw of public preference.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Exclamation Marx posted:

Jon Stephenson, who reported on Our Brave Boys In The SAS being complicit in the torture of prisoners, has won his defamation case against the Defence Force
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11522106

I thought Labour's downward trend was interesting

To be fair if you just looked at National from 1950 to 2002 you would see a massive downward trend as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

More significantly, Labour's downward trend is exaggerated past 1996 because after MMP the Left has more options than Labour, while a Right government is National plus its slave parties. National has an "unusually" high popular vote for this government simply because it literally cannot be in government without one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Former PM Clark backs controversial TPPA trade deal

Helen Clark posted:

"What always haunts one as the New Zealand Prime Minister is 'will there be a series of trade blocs you're not part of?'. Because that's unthinkable for New Zealand, an exporter and small trading nation. So of course New Zealand has to be in on the action with the TPP and go for the very best deal it can."

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

She always was a total loving idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Well what she's saying is perfectly rational. As a tiny export nation it is critical that we be included in these things . It just, as usual, completely bypasses the reasons people oppose it - which is utter lack of transparency in an ostensibly corporation-driven trade agreement. If it weren't conducted under secrecy then people would oppose things in it rather than our participation.

Also Key selling up that 20% of our household consumption goes to the US. Next week another breathless exclamation of how good our low exchange rate is for exporters. Up is good down is good. We Have Always Had a Strong Economy.

• Locked thread