Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
What really confirms how much of a piece of poo poo Huey is is when he throws his metal legs off of the life raft. Like, I think a cassette tape or torture scene he says he'd rather die than lose his legs and he always makes a big fuss when someone fucks with them. But as soon as them threatens him, he loving tosses it aside and it shows how he's just a despicable person. In the trailer when he's called a "Technocrat That Stands His Ground," I think it might be sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not entirely sure why he was defecting away from Skull Face. Saw where the wind was blowing, figured as soon as he finished Metal Gear he'd be disposed of?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Probably, Code Talker knew that it was going to happen to him and I don't see why Skull Face would leave Huey alive when he also hates him.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Nakar posted:

I went through the guide and the TppRevenge.lua file and catalogued as much of the response system as I could. I created a Pastebin rather than spam the thread as it's pretty long. The tl;dr is as follows:
  • KO/Kill more people undetected and enemies become more perceptive, use more (and more advanced) cameras/decoys/mines, and fake being held up more often (up to half the time!). Also they supposedly get knocked out for less time.
  • KO/Kill more people during Combat Alerts and enemies get more armored, use better weapons, and can call in vehicles as backup (up to heavy-armored black/red vehicles).
  • Get discovered more at night and guards can see better at night and will use more flashlights and NVG. Kill more at night and guards put lights on their guns.
  • Snipe more enemies and there will be first bolt-action, then semi-auto sniper enemies.
  • Let Pequod get kills or kill with vehicles and enemies will start carrying first launchers, then Honeybees, and possibly CGL 35s.
  • Every 20 headshots increases helmet-wearing by 10%, up to 70% total, and this never goes down.
  • If you let 20 sleeping people get discovered, enemies call in before investigating any sleeping guy.
  • After 7, 21, and 35 Fulton extractions are spotted by enemies, they'll start shooting them down instantly unless you're using the Wormhole. The Wormhole also seems to not count when it's noticed.
  • When enemies get hit by smoke/gas or see smoke/gas they'll use gas masks more often.
Missions can override these settings, either locking out certain responses or forcing them. Extreme missions usually just max most or all of these settings for instance.

If it helps you any, the sniper responses go up whenever you attack someone outside of their visual range/perception range. You can "snipe" someone with a shotgun (and thus increase enemy sniper preparedness) if you manage to hit them from a distant-enough range. It isn't a set range that I know of, so it isn't like they only consider it sniping at 30m or whatever, just that they can't detect you in their 'normal' combat range or don't detect where you are shooting from.

Something like that. I regularly get enemies claiming they're being sniped even when I'm only a little ways away simply because they can't see me, even if I'm using a pistol/LMG/shotgun/etc.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Nakar posted:

Missions can override these settings, either locking out certain responses or forcing them. Extreme missions usually just max most or all of these settings for instance.

I tried cheesing the "recover tanks and APCs" objective on mission 45 and every enemy could see me through optical camo while in a sandstorm. Chicken hat also did nothing but the Lil' Chick hat, that you get for dying a bunch with the chicken hat, worked for some reason.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Stealth Camo doesn't work if the enemy is in a combat alert and aware of you, they just pretend you're not invisible. All it does is prevent you from being detected as easily. Likewise I don't think the Chicken Hat helps if you're in an alert already.

The Lil' Chick Hat appears to have special behavior that overrides enemy AI and makes them all intentionally ignore you even though they can see you, making them laugh or do other "I can't see you, I promise" animations in mockery of you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only mission I ever had the chance to equip the Lil' Chick Hat on, because I kept dying, was A Quiet Exit. It didn't stop tanks from blowing the poo poo out of me. I think they were just firing blind.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The enemies wouldn't respond to me with the Lil' Chick hat but they would at times fire at my direction.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Enemies will sometimes blind-fire. You can get shot at without detection or a Combat Alert. It's easiest if you just take potshots at a guy from really far away, he eventually starts shooting wildly in your direction trying to flush you out. You can tell there's limited tracking on the shots because they'll often strike DD or something even though it's remarkably unlikely that they could be hit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This video is incredible.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This is what a successful defense against a hacker looks like.

So in total between all of his attacks he has killed 38 of my A++ rank guards, and I have stolen 41 of his S ranks in retaliation attacks (before volunteers).

A quarter of my security team is in sick bay.

I understand now why all the high ranked players I've seen in the invasion tab use non-lethal weapons on their security teams, hackers are still vulnerable to them so they're a more effective deterrent. I set my combat platforms to non-lethal after my first hacker defense, and the next time he just invaded my command platforms. I set my command platforms to non-lethal, so this time he invaded my intelligence platforms. It's loving sad that someone with infinite health and infinite rocket ammo is so afraid of losing to non-lethal guards that he avoids them entirely.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 30, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Aren't they just able to get up immediately after getting knocked out? Guards wouldn't have any time to fulton him and he'd still be unbeatable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Snak posted:

I liked how MGS2 sort of implied that The Patriots were a an emergent mimetic consciousness that had no concrete body and was incarnated into things like AI but wasn't just an AI. That the machinations of political and military power had taken on a literal life of their own.

It's basically impossible to make that concept better by explaining it more.

If you take Metal Gear Rising as canon (Which you should you monster) that might still be kinda true. In one of the codec calls Raiden talks about how the Patriot AI's may not have even really been self-aware and just running through their routines without understanding why, A kind of conspiracy with no members. This also goes back to Peace Walker talking about AI's based on "Norms."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The only thing that can really stop a hacker is a human showing up to defend. With a bit of guile and persistence you can Fulton them out and they can't stop that. Both Lethal and Non-Lethal have their advantages for fighting hackers. Lethal shotguns and sniper rifles can knock people down (including knocking them off pipes which cuts off a number of lower routes), non-lethal weapons can't be hacked through (that I know of) and sleep mortars have huge range and can even hit underneath bridges. You only need a split-second to initiate a Fulton, once you start Fultoning something it can't escape.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

KO damage absolutely can be hacked through but the CE script this idiots have loaded doesn't. If he's that scared of non-lethal though he's a complete moron since it's almost impossible to lose against.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I just bring sleep mines and sleep/stun grenades, plus a non-lethal shotgun to every FOB defense now under the assumption that I will need to fulton someone.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Considering there's hacks and scripts to make all NPCs stand completely still and not react to anything and/or to KO every NPC on the map instantly and permanently, yeah.

Only a human response can stop a hacker who wants to go all out about winning. A human player has a chance, however slim, to Fulton them out. The great equalizer.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

He does say that MGS4 does ruin MGS2 mystery - but this is Kojima's knee-jerk reaction to fans demanding MGS4 to explain everything.

As for the founding members of the Patriots, we see (or hear rather) that Zero is paranoid and doing backdoor deals to control information. His misinterpretation of the Boss's will leads to him using information control (ie changing the past or covering things up) which is pretty bad but this happens in real life too. SIGINT is Donald Anderson who ends up working for DARPA, creating Darpanet, and using Peace Walker's AI to create an AI, the patriots, to take over for the dying Zero. This is pretty much any person working in the military industrial complex. Para-Medic, or Dr. Clark, does the some unethical things such as cloning Big Boss and making Frank Jaeger a crazy cyborg. All of these characters are explained over the course of MGS games. Yes, they can be missed as they are optional codec calls or reading (such as In the Darkness of Shadow Moses that appears in MGS2 by Natasha Romanenko , an optional character you never had to call in MGS1). As for EVA, all I remember is that she birthed the clones out of her love for Naked Snake, or at least Solid Snake, and I don't know what else.

Calling the founding patriots members evil is somewhat of a stretch. Its how the all willfully opt in to become a shadow organization to enact the will of The Boss, but in doing so misinterpret what she wanted that leads them into a path as the antagonist. As for world-changing control freaks this is more-so with the AIs that, even in MGS2, seem to control everything (even Raiden / you the player), which was started by SIGINT to help take over Zero's job. In PW we see the AI pods learn so its no stretch that the Patriot AI, which is based off of PWs pods, to also learn and make changes. I should add that since The Patriots organization seems to have unlimited money and answers to no one they can develop horrible ethnic cleansers, make people into cyborgs, clone others, or any other unethical practice. This is where I feel they are 'evil' but at the same time looking at history the US even has bizarre projects such as MK ULTRA and remote viewing studies.

Being a legendary hero, or the idea of one, to impress people or motivate others is a huge part of the MGS series. So its no stretch that the Patriots are vilified based on what we see regardless of what their initial motivations were. I admit you have to play every game and connect dots to get to this point. I also admit MGS has some poorly written parts, but what other video game/comic book/movie doesn't? We don't need multiple over explained characters, we just need enough to see how they were involved. On top of that there is no shortage of shallow, cackling 'evil' bad guys like Fatman or The Rage. Sure there are tidbits about them wanting revenge on the person who wronged them, but in the long wrong they make little effect of the main antagonist of each game (Liquid, Solidus, the Patriots, etc).

Edit: I see some of the points I was trying to make were already covered by others.

When the games end with secret conversations its to make the player go "OH poo poo!!" and set up the possibility of a sequel, hence why MGS1 ends this way. There is also the fact that explaining everything makes its harder to write sequels because ultimately the writer would look back and want to change some things. Kojima does this with every game.

Good post. I love MGS

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

drat this threads a lot better than the other Games one. I could read about The Patriots for hours.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Speedball posted:

I'm not entirely sure why he was defecting away from Skull Face. Saw where the wind was blowing, figured as soon as he finished Metal Gear he'd be disposed of?

Yeah. That, or he heard/saw something about Skull Face getting Shael to work without him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Regarding the response system, my absolute favorite thing is how enemies will start to respond differently to thrown magazines if stealth readiness (camera icon) is up.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Alain Post posted:

Regarding the response system, my absolute favorite thing is how enemies will start to respond differently to thrown magazines if stealth readiness (camera icon) is up.
Yeah what seems to happen is at low readiness they'll hear a noise and go investigate it like dipshits, but at high readiness they immediately jump at shadows when they hear a weird sound, call in to CP, and get the hell away from the source of the sound to a defensible position.

It's basically like you've enacted Friday The 13th too often and the teenagers have gotten genre-savvy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, when I read it in the guide I thought they'd like, actually investigate in the opposite direction to see if someone threw a magazine, but in action, they tend to pull out their guns and back away quickly from the source of the noise.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That's so fuckin cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite bit of AI manipulation is how AI guards will apparently run to investigate the player's last position if they get into "very suspicious" mode, no matter how long the actual route to the player's location is. So you can do poo poo like get a guard on the back porch of Code Talker's mansion suspicious, where he will walk like half a mile in a roundabout path to the player's location because there's no easy way to get there.

Same with that village in Afghanistan that's built on a series of cliffs- AI guards will do poo poo like go all the way up and down switchbacks in order to check out noises at the top and bottom of the village.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you turn all the readiness up to maximum the game is completely different. You tranq-snipe one guy at night in the base and immediately two guys shine flashlights in your direction, another guy gets out binoculars, a couple snipers start sweeping your location through scopes, and someone else immediately runs for cover so he can call in to CP without getting shot. Then people cluster within 20m of each other to start searching, so if you attack anyone someone nearby will notice right away. It's insane.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

net cafe scandal posted:

That's so fuckin cool

There's been like a billion games released where the developers claim that the AI will like, learn and adapt to the player's tactics, and I always figured that it was almost completely bullshit, but this game actually does it. It's really really cool and I love how the guide breaks it down mechanically.

e) My favorite part is how it doesn't just make the game harder, but it also opens other stuff up. Like how helmet/riot guys encourage you to develop and use sleeping gas, or how grenade launchers very suddenly become a great non-lethal weapon the moment you get a ton of riot suit guys.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 30, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can also exploit certain mutually-exclusive things. Like if you're sick of helmets blocking headshots using a bunch of smoke/sleep gas and attacking at night will get guys using gas masks and NVG, which can't be worn with a helmet. Or if too many guys have NVG you can cause enough chaos that guys use riot suits, which can't have NVG.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No gear is immune to a rocket. :colbert:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SynthOrange posted:

No gear is immune to a rocket. :colbert:
Immune, no, but full riot suit guys will just get thrown around by rockets and even stacks of C4. It takes a hell of a lot of explosive force to kill them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The weapon to surpass metal gear is helmeted guys in Walker Gears with shields on their back. I got four of those while trying to do the "Extract the guys looking for the CIA informant" side objective, and gently caress that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A Brennan/Serval then.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah the Serval is the endbringer, there's nothing that can withstand it (except black choppers and even those die eventually). Big Boss can literally make his enemies so paranoid in their preparations that it takes an anti-vehicle sniper rifle to kill them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Extracting an A++/S rank riot suit guy by knocking him out with a grenade launcher is the coolest. That's a badass way to get recruited.

"Anyway, how'd you join Mother Base?" "Someone shot me in the face with a water pistol and punched me."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Alain Post posted:

Extracting an A++/S rank riot suit guy by knocking him out with a grenade launcher is the coolest. That's a badass way to get recruited.
I prefer punch comboing them so hard their helmet pops off. Their suit can withstand rockets and concentrated high-caliber ammunition but Big Boss can drop you with a blow from his non-bionic hand.

Though speaking of the Bionic Hand, the Stun Arm is pretty incredible. Using it in FOBs at lv3 is almost cheating, it knocks out 80% of a platform and possibly more if you get an alert and let guys cluster around you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Is the Stun Arm's attack silent?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Is the Stun Arm's attack silent?
Given that the lv3 Stun Arm knocks out everyone within 40m or so, anyone who could possibly hear you will be unconscious afterward.

But as far as I can tell the charging is silent too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I got this guy after doing a FOB :stare:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Look at you people that aren't running around with the armor piercing pistol. Headshots all day :sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nakar posted:

I assume so. I've never seen talking decoys, but the lua makes a distinction between "decoy" and "active_decoy" just like it distinguishes the two types of cameras.

I can answer this. Active decoys will rotate if the enemy is using them. I've seen it happen and if you're going by just visuals it'll gently caress you up.

• Locked thread