Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
To End All Wars is still good, i dont care what you say, but goddamn they need to modernize their engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

One of the best Bulge games there is. If you haven't played it on the iPad, definitely get it.

Well it was one of the best Bulge games. Slitherine have completely hosed up the port to PC and even back-ported the lovely PC version to the iPad so now the only people with a good version of this game are the ones who have not updated their iPad version.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

V for Vegas posted:

Well it was one of the best Bulge games. Slitherine have completely hosed up the port to PC and even back-ported the lovely PC version to the iPad so now the only people with a good version of this game are the ones who have not updated their iPad version.

How did they make it worse?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The original game was built from the ground up to work in iOS and it ran flawlessly. The game center asynch MP let you play MP games from within the app easily. Now they've built a PC version and back-ported to iOS. Framerate is shot. MP is now PBEM that means you have to exit out of the app and go into your email everytime you want to process a move. They've borked the AI as well so the daily time pulses are all different. The original pulses were very finely balanced to allow German expansion, with Allies pushing back. Now the Germans just get massive penalties to give them fewer moves each day. More on the Slitherine forums if you want to check it out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

V for Vegas posted:

The original game was built from the ground up to work in iOS and it ran flawlessly. The game center asynch MP let you play MP games from within the app easily. Now they've built a PC version and back-ported to iOS. Framerate is shot. MP is now PBEM that means you have to exit out of the app and go into your email everytime you want to process a move. They've borked the AI as well so the daily time pulses are all different. The original pulses were very finely balanced to allow German expansion, with Allies pushing back. Now the Germans just get massive penalties to give them fewer moves each day. More on the Slitherine forums if you want to check it out.

loving :aslol:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Great loving job, grogs. Great loving job.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

I thought it didn't seem that great. Wonder if I've played too much for a steam refund.

E: 2 hours :argh: gently caress me last night being determined to win no matter how many tries it took.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Have the developers responded about metrics or something?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pharnakes posted:

I thought it didn't seem that great. Wonder if I've played too much for a steam refund.

E: 2 hours :argh: gently caress me last night being determined to win no matter how many tries it took.

if you're only a little past 2 hours (under 3 for example), try anyways.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, I went on my quarterly quest to make SH4/Real Fleet Boat run on my machine under Windows 8.1, and this time, it worked.

I may never leave the house again.

(Again.)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
*Sends Yenko adult diapers*

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Just managed to finish the English Civil War campaign of Pike and Shot. Lessons learned: Roundheads can't ride horses for poo poo, you can win a battle despite the total loss of your cavalry if you manage the infantry well enough, and whatever the English get up to on their little island is small-time poo poo compared to what goes down in Germany.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The Parliamentary cavalry really is godawful. I've given up trying to win a campaign as them because in every battle all my horse gets broken by Cavaliers and everything falls apart from there.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
How many of the scenarios in the new-harpoon game are both small/medium-ish and happen in the past? I don't like fiddling with all the billion options more modern stuff has (or is there a way to automate that sort of thing?). My favourite scenarios in the original games were 70s and 80s stuff where the electronic-warfare aspects are easier to get one's head around and the missiles etc. are a lot dodgier. Are these type of scenarios featured more extensively in the bigbux Command as well (or added by users)? I'd rather not drop 80usd straight away if possible (or is it better to wait for a holiday sale regardless?).

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wait for this new cheap(er) stand alone thing to come out I'd say.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

How many of the scenarios in the new-harpoon game are both small/medium-ish and happen in the past? I don't like fiddling with all the billion options more modern stuff has (or is there a way to automate that sort of thing?). My favourite scenarios in the original games were 70s and 80s stuff where the electronic-warfare aspects are easier to get one's head around and the missiles etc. are a lot dodgier. Are these type of scenarios featured more extensively in the bigbux Command as well (or added by users)? I'd rather not drop 80usd straight away if possible (or is it better to wait for a holiday sale regardless?).

I don't know how up to date this still is but there are a lot:

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/ScenarioListing

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Yeah there are loads of 70s/80s scenarios if you add the community scenarios.

The thing about Command though is that it kinda sucks if you try to play it as an actual game imo. It's more of a sandbox thing where you set up random poo poo and then play around a bit looking at the different stats.

If someone could take the Command database and combat modelling and use them as the basis for an actual game with a proper interface then I'd be in heaven.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

fuf posted:

Yeah there are loads of 70s/80s scenarios if you add the community scenarios.

The thing about Command though is that it kinda sucks if you try to play it as an actual game imo. It's more of a sandbox thing where you set up random poo poo and then play around a bit looking at the different stats.

If someone could take the Command database and combat modelling and use them as the basis for an actual game with a proper interface then I'd be in heaven.

A good campaign system alone would massively enhance CMANO. Right now the best you can do is scenarios that sort of happen one after the other with no actual connection between them.

When Rule The Waves came out I briefly looked whether it was actually possible to automatically generate a CMANO scenario, as maybe a first step of writing a third party campaign system (with the pie-in-the-sky end goal of copying RtW's game design of building your own military and then taking it to war). After all, if you can auto-generate a scenario, then the rest is mostly database management, keeping track of units lost on both sides. Expenditures are already tracked by the game so it's not that big of a deal to just sum those up. Unfortunately while the scenarios themselves are xml files, the actual scenario data is compressed into a long block of random letters that is pretty much impossible to decode (at least for me), so that one went right out the window.

By this point I'd settle for an automated "if player achieves > x points, GOTO scenario 2A. If player achieves < x points, GOTO scenario 2b" etc. That would at least give you the feeling that your actions matter.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alikchi posted:

The Parliamentary cavalry really is godawful. I've given up trying to win a campaign as them because in every battle all my horse gets broken by Cavaliers and everything falls apart from there.

After a while I started using the cav purely defensively, taking potshots and allowing the cavaliers to charge when they want to buy as much time as possible before they inevitably break and run. That gave my own infantry time to clean up the Royalist infantry and win despite whatever was happening on the cavalry front.

I got some pretty good results from seeding the cavalry formations with some full infantry units, though. Commanded shot doesn't really put out enough firepower to make too much of a dent in enemy cavalry, but two full salvos from Parliamentary infantry stands a good chance of disrupting cavalier formations. The downside is that you weaken the main battle line to do this, and if the cavalry breaks anyways the isolated infantry units will be terribly vulnerable - my most dramatic battle yet involved the collapse of my right wing's cavalry and a steady retreat in good order by the infantry units I had in the area to protect a fleeing unit of medium guns.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
In DC2 Trappenjagd, do the Russians never get the increased replacement levels? I kept my army pretty intact in a PBEM game, but Germany just surpassed my numbers and it looks like that trend will continue. Still at 2200 replacements per turn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

In DC2 Trappenjagd, do the Russians never get the increased replacement levels? I kept my army pretty intact in a PBEM game, but Germany just surpassed my numbers and it looks like that trend will continue. Still at 2200 replacements per turn.

It should follow the same trend in the pdf for all the scenarios.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Welp, I have Combat Mission: Red Thunder thanks to my wonderful SO. Anyone up a game?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tomn posted:

After a while I started using the cav purely defensively, taking potshots and allowing the cavaliers to charge when they want to buy as much time as possible before they inevitably break and run. That gave my own infantry time to clean up the Royalist infantry and win despite whatever was happening on the cavalry front.

I got some pretty good results from seeding the cavalry formations with some full infantry units, though. Commanded shot doesn't really put out enough firepower to make too much of a dent in enemy cavalry, but two full salvos from Parliamentary infantry stands a good chance of disrupting cavalier formations. The downside is that you weaken the main battle line to do this, and if the cavalry breaks anyways the isolated infantry units will be terribly vulnerable - my most dramatic battle yet involved the collapse of my right wing's cavalry and a steady retreat in good order by the infantry units I had in the area to protect a fleeing unit of medium guns.

Pulling off troops to help the cavalry is my go-to with the Ottomans- it's almost impossible to get decent pistol cavalry disrupted any other way.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone up for a PBEM game of Red Thunder? I'm slowly realizing how bad I am at it. Keep managing to get beat up by the AI unless I throw artillery goddamned everywhere.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

MohawkSatan posted:

Is anyone up for a PBEM game of Red Thunder? I'm slowly realizing how bad I am at it. Keep managing to get beat up by the AI unless I throw artillery goddamned everywhere.

I would be in the near future, but unfortunately I am too busy at work for the next two weeks or so. Post back then if you haven't found anyone.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I remember someone effortposting about grog games on Android, but it apparently was never backported into OP. So, what's there of note? I think Tiller games and the Shenandoah Bulge?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

I remember someone effortposting about grog games on Android, but it apparently was never backported into OP. So, what's there of note? I think Tiller games and the Shenandoah Bulge?

It's a little cutesy, but a buddy of mine made Wartime Cronies, which I enjoy a lot.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is the PC version of Ultimate General: Gettysburg good? Most of the people I've heard who liked it played the ipad version. GoG has it on sale for $5.00 right now (along with discounted * General games from the 5-star series ).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kangra posted:

Is the PC version of Ultimate General: Gettysburg good? Most of the people I've heard who liked it played the ipad version. GoG has it on sale for $5.00 right now (along with discounted * General games from the 5-star series ).

I'm pretty sure it started as a PC game and gained fame there. You should totally get it, it'd dovetail well with your *General LPs.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Kangra posted:

It's worth it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It is good and fun.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man I thought we would have Ultimate General: Waterloo by now. :(

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fuf posted:

man I thought we would have Ultimate General: Waterloo by now. :(

gently caress the British, pick a better Napoleonic battle. Don't let them do to the Napoleonic Wars what they did to ww1!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

gently caress the British, pick a better Napoleonic battle. Don't let them do to the Napoleonic Wars what they did to ww1!

Ultimate General: Ligny?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ultimate General: Austerlitz

Anything else is child's play.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Ultimate General: Leipzig

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Gamersgate has the Silent Hunter games for 75% off until tomorrow if you want to get your submarine game on.

They have a pack for $10 that includes SH5 gold, SH4 + expansion, and SH3.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Forget about it and paint over it with WWII? Where are my WWI movies? Where's the Private Ryan of The Great War?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Paths of Glory and the last season of Blackadder.

COOL CORN posted:

Gamersgate has the Silent Hunter games for 75% off until tomorrow if you want to get your submarine game on.

They have a pack for $10 that includes SH5 gold, SH4 + expansion, and SH3.

I may pick it up. Which one was the good one? 3 or 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
3 is the good U-boat one.

4 is the good American Fleet Boat one (and a decent U-boat-in-the-Indian-Ocean one with the xpack)

5 is the mediocre U-boat one.