Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Soricidus posted:

is that like giving hitler due credit for the autobahns?

more like ruby for the rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

lol no, symfony isn't remotely that good

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Symphony is the most enterprisey php has ever php'd

note: i have no experience w/ zend stuff

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
today I replaced a php script with a static file, and it felt good

except it still has the extension .php because it's easier to tell the server to serve it as a plain file than it is to update urls in the clients

I guess this should really go in the terrible programmer thread but hey we're talking about php here right?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
that's not at all uncommon and is why people have been saying not to use extensions in your urls for a very long time

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

that's dumb, instead of minifying just use a real programming language and compile to bytecode instead, problem solved :smuggo:
and then someone turns on 'strip debug info'

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

that's not at all uncommon and is why people have been saying not to use extensions in your urls for a very long time

/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3481275&perpage=40&pagenumber=1171#pti5

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Bloody posted:

savbb: not a bastion of best practices, news at 11

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Soricidus posted:

today I replaced a php script with a static file, and it felt good

except it still has the extension .php because it's easier to tell the server to serve it as a plain file than it is to update urls in the clients

I guess this should really go in the terrible programmer thread but hey we're talking about php here right?

one of these days I'm going to completely rewrite my site in Python and I'll have to continue serving the dynamically-generated RSS feed as "rss.php" just to avoid breaking old links

deliberately breaking the relationship between URLs and server-side resources in such a brazen way is sort of liberating

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

just 301 the links guys
actually
why don't browsers offer to update bookmarks when they get a 301

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

"your bookmark returned an error 500 response. complain on facebook?"

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Bloody posted:

who gives a poo poo what the url looks like. "restful urls" or whatever are stupid cause you can only put one meaningful bit of information in them and you gotta use a query string for everything else anyway

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tiny Bug Child posted:

who gives a poo poo what the url looks like. "restful urls" or whatever are stupid cause you can only put one meaningful bit of information in them and you gotta use a query string for everything else anyway
There is a continuum. At one end, the entire website is implemented query strings. At the other, it's all fancy URLs. Neither endpoint is remotely sane. The sweet spot is a bit further away from query strings than SA.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i'm looking at some haskell posix bindings, and i noticed thath they have separate newtypes for user ids and group ids, but user names and group names are just strings

i think that's just copied from types.h, but i'm wondering what people think is correct here. are string types in general less deserving of strong typing?
i guess there's an argument that strings are more often mashed together with other strings to display to the user

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A name is a name. I don't see why a username and a group name should have fundamentally different types; in fact they often *are* the same. IDs are unique and two different kinds of IDs have two semantically unrelated (but syntactically overlapping) representations, so making them separate types makes sense. You should make two things be of different types if it is fundamentally bogus to use one in place of the other. Types shouldn't be used as labels---they are contracts. There's no need to establish contracts all over the place that don't provide any additional safety. Just use regular type aliases in that case.

Domain-specific specializations of strings tend to be of a particular structure (i.e., the range of valid strings is much smaller than the range of all strings), so are usually best modeled through some other data structure that serializes to the desired string, rather than directly wrapping a string in a newtype.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

suffix posted:

are string types in general less deserving of strong typing?

They're also less deserving of implementation-hiding. A string is a string, but the integer type for some kind of id could be a 32-bit type, a 64-bit type, a pointer-sized type, or what-have-you.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

pepito sanchez posted:

more like ruby for the rails

:golfclap:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm going through the spring tutorials, like https://spring.io/guides/gs/device-detection/

so far all of them have had this line "Did you notice that there wasn’t a single line of XML? No web.xml file either. This web application is 100% pure Java and you didn’t have to deal with configuring any plumbing or infrastructure."

uh...

sure? :shrug:

my guess is that spring was notorious for using xml for everything a decade ago and now they're overcompensating?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheany posted:

i'm going through the spring tutorials, like https://spring.io/guides/gs/device-detection/

so far all of them have had this line "Did you notice that there wasn’t a single line of XML? No web.xml file either. This web application is 100% pure Java and you didn’t have to deal with configuring any plumbing or infrastructure."

uh...

sure? :shrug:

my guess is that spring was notorious for using xml for everything a decade ago and now they're overcompensating?

maybe they're trying to make sure nobody mistakes them for struts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

maybe they're trying to make sure nobody mistakes them for struts

lol

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
so this thread's hate for NULLs made me write an Optional<T> generic and a ValueOrError<T> generic for C++ and now I'm hooked and I'm using them everywhere

"hackbunny you gigantic retard-human being why didn't you use Boost.Optional and C++11" well clever guy, boost is a huge dependency I'm trying to avoid and my platform's compiler is old stuck with optional C++0x extensions

"hackbunny you feeble-minded turd-stealer why camel case arrrgh" it's a qt project and camel case is the standard project-wide

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
goondolences

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
actually I've never been happier, first time I get to use C++ professionally. blackberry 10 is a pretty good platform too (not the gui stuff though, worst toolkit I've ever seen)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
bloackberry? did you move to canada?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

$HUGE_CUSTOMER1 and $HUGE_CUSTOMER2 have a large blackberry userbase. seems it's the only realistic platform for mdm (except techies who go byod with their androids, and top management who get iphones because gently caress you)

e: so of course we have to maintain four different applications for the four different platforms (blackberry 5/7 and blackberry 10 are two distinct platforms), and I'm the iphone developer too and every time I hear "vip" or "top management" my blood curdles and I scream internally BUT STILL at least I'm not the one writing java

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 2, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hackbunny posted:

so this thread's hate for NULLs made me write an Optional<T> generic and a ValueOrError<T> generic for C++ and now I'm hooked and I'm using them everywhere

"hackbunny you gigantic retard-human being why didn't you use Boost.Optional and C++11" well clever guy, boost is a huge dependency I'm trying to avoid and my platform's compiler is old stuck with optional C++0x extensions

"hackbunny you feeble-minded turd-stealer why camel case arrrgh" it's a qt project and camel case is the standard project-wide

isn't initial caps Pascal case? Camel case starts with a lower-case letter.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

isn't initial caps Pascal case? Camel case starts with a lower-case letter.

I'm ok with it I have great memories of turbo pascal and delphi, in fact pascal was my first Serious Language with Pointers

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

kidding, I'm like a nun in a private school for special kids, I have loved all languages I've worked with, they're my retards

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hackbunny posted:

kidding, I'm like a nun in a private school for special kids, I have loved all languages I've worked with, they're my retards

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://www.gopherjs.org/blog/2015/09/28/surprises-in-gopherjs-performance/

I did like 4 or 5 double takes while reading this. This guy is pretending real hard that he can't see his emporers dick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hackbunny posted:

I'm ok with it I have great memories of turbo pascal and delphi, in fact pascal was my first Serious Language with Pointers

i made a naughts & crosses game in delphi in 10th grade with a really lovely brute force opponent that was just an endless chain of if's

my teacher was super impressed though and wanted me to explain the algorithm in depth and i was like uhh yeah it just checks everything. like there's not a lot more to say

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

pointsofdata posted:

I did like 4 or 5 double takes while reading this. This guy is pretending real hard that he can't see his emporers dick.

"goroutines" lol

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

hackbunny posted:

having additional optional types at work has made our API's internally much nicer and I am no longer having a continual aneurysm now that the std::pair<optional<value>, optional<error>> type someone wrote before I got there is gone.

also gently caress boost optional that poo poo includes 324 header files and that's just loving stupid.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
l

hackbunny posted:

$HUGE_CUSTOMER1 and $HUGE_CUSTOMER2 have a large blackberry userbase. seems it's the only realistic platform for mdm (except techies who go byod with their androids, and top management who get iphones because gently caress you)

e: so of course we have to maintain four different applications for the four different platforms (blackberry 5/7 and blackberry 10 are two distinct platforms), and I'm the iphone developer too and every time I hear "vip" or "top management" my blood curdles and I scream internally BUT STILL at least I'm not the one writing java

I like Java, very enjoyable to work with :shobon:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Hell yeah, this sounds awesome. Is there any chance you could post the source somewhere? I'd love to read through it.

edit:

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

also gently caress boost optional that poo poo includes 324 header files and that's just loving stupid.

Jesus, why do they need so many header files? Personally I think the worst part about boost::optional is its implicit conversion to bool, which makes optional<anything_that_is_also_convertible_to_bool> a bad idea. In the past it has caused me some bugs like this.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 2, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pointsofdata posted:

"The GopherJS project first caught my attention about 2 years ago, back when few parts of the Go spec were implemented."

lol go 1.0 came out almost four years ago

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweeper posted:

l

I like Java, very enjoyable to work with :shobon:

look at this nerd, enjoying computers :smug:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
BRACKET ALL IF STATEMENTS YOU loving COWBOY CODERS gently caress gently caress FHDUOFDGF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

VikingofRock posted:

Jesus, why do they need so many header files? Personally I think the worst part about boost::optional is its implicit conversion to bool, which makes optional<anything_that_is_also_convertible_to_bool> a bad idea. In the past it has caused me some bugs like this.

Boost optional was written long before C++11 in its current state was even a twinkle in Herb's mustache (according to Boost's version history, it was released on March 19th, 2003 for boost 1.30). It also has to support a bunch of workarounds for older, more broken, compilers and also makes use of the boost template meta programming library which is where most of those includes come from (this also affects boost variant which includes 370 something files and is just hell on earth for compile times)

The implicit bool conversion is super stupid and I'm glad we have explicit operator bool which is only implicit in a boolean context :v: