Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Season one Data is best Data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Right? I wish he whistled more often, then we'd see more of that hilarious mad scientist look he gets. You know the one.

We got a good look at it when he got all hot for aliens in area 51

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Didnt Data use a contraction at the end of Datalore? The episode where they figured out which one was evil based on contraction usage? Oops!

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ugh I changed my mind let's go back to talking about their dicks

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Gutcruncher posted:

Didnt Data use a contraction at the end of Datalore? The episode where they figured out which one was evil based on contraction usage? Oops!

He used "I'm", except not, because the way he says it is just jamming I am together without a space, like "Iam fine". Technically that's how he says we're also. It's subtle in a way you can't do with "n't". So most of the examples in that video are dum'b.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Soong specifically said that Lore was too real and creeped people out. His solution to make Data less creepy was specifically to prevent him from using contractions. Also to make him not a psychopath, but mostly the contracting. That video is hilarious though, lol at 80s quality control.

"To keep people from thinking of you as too creepy, we made you into an albino autistic grammar nazi."

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So now that I've finished TNG, I'm jumping straight into the mess called Voyager. Wish me luck!

P.S. B'elanna is hotter than I remember.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Leading robotologists agree that contractions are at the very bottom of the Uncanny Valley, right next to Robert Zemeckis movies.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

BottledBodhisvata posted:

How did Data, a robot, catch the "super horny, suicidally horny" space virus again? Like...I mean...how?

He can't, he was just trying to fit in, and thought that sometimes humans get super space horny.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

So now that I've finished TNG, I'm jumping straight into the mess called Voyager. Wish me luck!

P.S. B'elanna is hotter than I remember.

You should have jumped straight to DS9 instead.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Blazing Ownager posted:

You should have jumped straight to DS9 instead.

I already watched DS9 twice, while I've last seen Voyager when it was still running on TV. Call it a morbid curiosity.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Disco Infiva posted:

I already watched DS9 twice, while I've last seen Voyager when it was still running on TV. Call it a morbid curiosity.

Blazing Ownager's advice still stands. Really, just watch DS9 through for the third time. You'll come out of it happer and more centred.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Just watch "The Magnificent Ferengi" until you depart this mortal coil.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

get out of this thread if you selectively pick your star trek

it's all bad, all of it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Zigmidge posted:

it's all bad, all of it

well there are normies who acknowledge ~*pOigNaNt*~ episodes of TOS like City on the Edge of Forever

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zigmidge posted:

it's all good, all of it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Even when it's bad Star Trek is still more entertaining than 90% of the poo poo that constitutes broadcast television

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tighclops posted:

Even when it's bad Star Trek is still more entertaining than 90% of the poo poo that constitutes broadcast television

Yeah. Even though I like to complain about Voyager with everyone else I still watched the whole series and don't regret that time. I'll probably watch Star Trek reruns at least sporadically until I die.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah. Even though I like to complain about Voyager with everyone else I still watched the whole series and don't regret that time. I'll probably watch Star Trek reruns at least sporadically until I die.

A life painted in shades of Mulgrew.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Zigmidge posted:

it's all bad, all of it

You seem to have confused Star Trek with your posts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harveygod posted:

Just watch "The Magnificent Ferengi" until you depart this mortal coil.

I think has one of the sincerely funniest endings of any Trek series, and mostly because holy poo poo did it get darker than Trek usually would go. Which was hilarious.

Also the fact there was a payoff for that douche Vorta. Just when you thought he'd smugly got away with it, they drag him into that episode.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 30, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I watched the first 6 or so episodes of DS9 and found it boring as poo poo so I skipped it. Does it get better?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nondescript Van posted:

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of DS9 and found it boring as poo poo so I skipped it. Does it get better?

Yes. yes it does.yes. yesyesyes

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Nondescript Van posted:

jesus yes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nondescript Van posted:

Either keep watching or get out of this thread.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
just did looking for par'mach in all the wrong places. the b-plot w/ obrien and kira realizing they wanna bang and grappling with that is actually real interesting, i dont thing star trek ever went near infidelity and weird unrequited feelings quite like that since or again

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nondescript Van posted:

Yes. There's some good stuff in season 1 so it's not worth skipping but it progressively gets better and really hits it's stride about the third season. But they do build off a lot of stuff from the first couple seasons.

Basically they didn't know what to do with the show quite off the bat, and made it TNG on a station. Once it really finds it's way, it gets pretty great.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

just did looking for par'mach in all the wrong places. the b-plot w/ obrien and kira realizing they wanna bang and grappling with that is actually real interesting, i dont thing star trek ever went near infidelity and weird unrequited feelings quite like that since or again

I was pretty surprised they went there to be honest. It was surprisingly well handled, too.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
also the a-plot for that one rules cause once again its a savage take-down of worf. dude has to take him aside and be like "uhhhhh have you ever actually, you know, tried putting the moves on a klingon woman before". and then worf cucks himself helping quark get laid w/ the woman worf is interested in. worf talks at length about her power and authority are why he's attracted to her. hes a huge sub lol

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I used to religiously watch reruns of The Next Generation because I grew up in rural Texas and the only other options were reruns of MASH or Televangelists. I could never get into any of the other series, but I still think about those old Next Generation episodes sometimes.

Like that one episode where Picard gets mind hosed by the alien thing and it makes him live out a whole life thinking he's an alien and watching everyone slowly die? That was some hosed up torture poo poo. Like, even worse than that one episode where he got tortured.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Harveygod posted:

You seem to have confused Star Trek with your posts.

You seem to be implying this is a good thread about a good show when we can all assure you, they are not.

Go ahead and read this post wrong too though

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I assure you the thread will get better once someone can find and post those pictures of Picard's dick in his silken robes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's all bad and we all love it.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, you know, it's a fantastical sci-fi setting, but it's human enough that you can imagine yourself serving on the Enterprise, exploring the stars with Captain Picard and Geordi LaForge, replicating a suitcase packed full of Nacho Cheese Doritos and designing a holodeck girlfriend with a black hole where her mouth should be

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I sometimes get tng and my early childhood memories mixed up. So I have fond memories of the time my mum lost her empathetic powers and became a bitch or that the time my parents turned the sun room into a alien temple and Data jumped out wearing a silly mask

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

I assure you the thread will get better once someone can find and post those pictures of Picard's dick in his silken robes.

motherfuckers i don't have all night

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Figaro posted:

I sometimes get tng and my early childhood memories mixed up. So I have fond memories of the time my mum lost her empathetic powers and became a bitch or that the time my parents turned the sun room into a alien temple and Data jumped out wearing a silly mask

Or all those times Dr. Crusher gave you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on your way out the door to school.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Ghetto Prince posted:

I used to religiously watch reruns of The Next Generation because I grew up in rural Texas and the only other options were reruns of MASH or Televangelists. I could never get into any of the other series, but I still think about those old Next Generation episodes sometimes.

Like that one episode where Picard gets mind hosed by the alien thing and it makes him live out a whole life thinking he's an alien and watching everyone slowly die? That was some hosed up torture poo poo. Like, even worse than that one episode where he got tortured.

Great episode but i was always perplexed as to how they had the technology to make a probe that could do that to someone's mind but not save their civilization

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Great episode but i was always perplexed as to how they had the technology to make a probe that could do that to someone's mind but not save their civilization

Their neurology advanced much faster than their spaceflight. I'm pretty sure they launched the drat thing on a rocket.

Realistically, though, it's one of those things you accept because it makes for a good episode. Just go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please dont spoil the time that the whole fleet turned out to celebrate Admiral Nechayev day and the crew of the USS Gallico made her a life sized statue out of pimento cheese log.

Because that ep was too heavy on the Ezri and so it was crap.

• Locked thread