Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

nami gets turned into a little girl and sanji fantasizes about watching her grow up with hearts in his eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

KoB posted:

Guys without powers are cool and get cool nicknames like Garp "The Fist".

I enjoyed Garp in Marineford because for so many chapters it was fruit users cracking the sky, freezing the oceans, oh here is the mythical unstoppable Phoenix he's going to save... BAM punched in the face

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Kaido has the nyan-nyan fruit, which makes him incredibly lucky(that fortune cat thing) and immune to height damage passively, but makes him sprout adorable kitty ears and whiskers when he activates it

That is almost what I said in the last thread! I just know its going to be something like that.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

deep space nein posted:

I enjoyed Garp in Marineford because for so many chapters it was fruit users cracking the sky, freezing the oceans, oh here is the mythical unstoppable Phoenix he's going to save... BAM punched in the face
op power hierarchy:

cool grandparent
literally god
has willpower
has fruit powers
good at using a weapon
martial artist
has a weapon
unarmed normal person

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

quakster posted:

op power hierarchy:

cool grandparent
literally god
has willpower
has fruit powers
good at using a weapon
martial artist
has a weapon
unarmed normal person

This is the universal power heirarchy everywhere?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
P.much, think about it in every anime parents die but the cool grandparent is still alive they must be the strongest.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tolth posted:

This is the universal power heirarchy everywhere?
one piece is real, qed

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Elfgames posted:

P.much, think about it in every anime parents die but the cool grandparent is still alive they must be the strongest.

Have you ever tried to pick a fight with your grandpa? I have, and it's not just anime man. They're all the same.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 30, 2015

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

op power hierarchy:

cool grandparent
literally god
has willpower
has fruit powers
good at using a weapon
martial artist
has a weapon
unarmed normal person

I feel like Spandam should be on the bottom of this list.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Kaidu is Behemoth, the father of all beasts and mythical the strongest of them.

deep space nein posted:

Again I say, I want Garp to throw down on Akainu and kill him down the line. Near the end of the series when Garp finally comes to accept his grandson's ambition.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Probably Sabo's role, honestly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

quakster posted:

it became extremely likely once he ate ace's devil fruit

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

quakster posted:

I agree but I'm saying it'd be better if like... Akainu is about to kill Sabo but Garp is like "not this time, rear end in a top hat" and clobbers him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Kaidu is Behemoth, the father of all beasts and mythical the strongest of them.

Again I say, I want Garp to throw down on Akainu and kill him down the line. Near the end of the series when Garp finally comes to accept his grandson's ambition.

Sakazuki's been getting an increasing number of humanising moments, even if he's still a giant rear end in a top hat. He'll get a beatdown, sure, but there's a vague possibility of redemption afterwards. On the other hand, I can see Borsalino going off the deep end like an Olympic diver. That guy is just not right.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crazyeyes posted:

I agree but I'm saying it'd be better if like... Akainu is about to kill Sabo but Garp is like "not this time, rear end in a top hat" and clobbers him.
Maybe Dragon will do that.

One hell of a family, imo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Isn't Akainu also a doting grandfather to really young grandkids or something? I could've sworn he was. I know the light guy's grandson is Vegapunk's bodyguard but I swear I saw a cover picture where Akainu was chilling with his grandkids once.

Maybe I'm misremembering. My point is that Oda will do what he usually does and humanize him a bit when it comes time for him to be beaten.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Isn't Akainu also a doting grandfather to really young grandkids or something? I could've sworn he was. I know the light guy's grandson is Vegapunk's bodyguard but I swear I saw a cover picture where Akainu was chilling with his grandkids once.

Maybe I'm misremembering. My point is that Oda will do what he usually does and humanize him a bit when it comes time for him to be beaten.

I thought Axe kid called Kizaru "uncle" but swear someone said that may have been an honorific and not necessarily a family relationship. I don't remember anything with Akainu's family.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

There's nothing like that mentioned in his wiki article, at least.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Isn't Akainu also a doting grandfather to really young grandkids or something? I could've sworn he was.
You could be thinking of one of the recent art commissions that Oda did on a coverpage. It had Akainu chilling in a garden and I think there were some kids there.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Darth Walrus posted:

Sakazuki's been getting an increasing number of humanising moments, even if he's still a giant rear end in a top hat. He'll get a beatdown, sure, but there's a vague possibility of redemption afterwards. On the other hand, I can see Borsalino going off the deep end like an Olympic diver. That guy is just not right.

wait where has he gotten humanizing moments

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

wait where has he gotten humanizing moments

He didn't kill Aokiji, at least. (He didn't kill Bonney either, but in that case he probably had explicit orders to capture her alive.) There was also the bit where Sengoku suggested that Akainu would probably take back his order to kick Fujitora out of Marine bases if Fujitora apologized, suggesting that while Akainu is quick to anger, he doesn't necessarily hold long grudges.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Silver2195 posted:

He didn't kill Aokiji, at least. (He didn't kill Bonney either, but in that case he probably had explicit orders to capture her alive.) There was also the bit where Sengoku suggested that Akainu would probably take back his order to kick Fujitora out of Marine bases if Fujitora apologized, suggesting that while Akainu is quick to anger, he doesn't necessarily hold long grudges.

oh yeah idk if id call those humanizing, he's still kind of a huge rear end but it's more than he has his rigid code of justice and follows it in its entirety while giving some respect to strength and camaraderie (i.e. leaving kuzan alive, willing to forgive fujitora)

things im interested in:

1. kaidou war and his backstory
2. akainu backstory and final fight
3. will we ever get to see kong fight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

seeing the gorosei fight. they're old men and run the world government

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, we saw him covering for Fujitora in order to keep the World Nobles off his back despite getting into a giant screaming match with the guy. He does seem to honestly respect differences of opinion within the Marines' officer cadre, and much of his nastier behaviour seems to be motivated by a sincere fear of the chaos and destruction that he believes the World Government is holding back rather than active sadism. He's a brutal, appalling war criminal, but he's no Dolflamingo or Enel.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wanna know who has the balls to take on the ships housing a current Admiral, the former Fleet Admiral of the entire marine organization, two (?) Vice Admirals and one butthurt Warlord.

EDIT: No chapter this week? Must be a break week, bizarre Japanese holiday or something else

White Light fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 30, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Darth Walrus posted:

Borsalino owns and I want more of him. Every major scene he's been in has been great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember playing Unlimited Cruise and being excited to play Borsalino and then he moved like rear end and felt gross to play and I cried.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's alright in PW2/3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good to hear, it'll give me more reason to keep getting through PW3'd story mode.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

EDIT: No chapter this week? Must be a break week, bizarre Japanese holiday or something else

the chapter usually doesn't come out this early so should still be released afaik

are there any good OP games that aren't pirate warriors because i'm not really sold on those types of games

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jose posted:

the chapter usually doesn't come out this early so should still be released afaik

are there any good OP games that aren't pirate warriors because i'm not really sold on those types of games

The Gigant Battle series for the DS is reminiscent of Jump Ultimate Stars and is a lot of fun IMO. I wish they'd release the 3DS one, but it probably won't happen. Unlimited Cruise Red I haven't played yet, but I want to. :(

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The unlimited games are pretty fun. Unlimited world red is the latest game. They are pretty chill combat/exploration based games. A bit grindy at times but they are pretty solid action adventure games. There is also the unlimited cruise series on the WII.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Grand Battle games are alright imo if you want some arena brawlers that are quick and fun and show cool moves off with a cutesy art style. The Unlimited World/Cruise games would be okay if they weren't annoying grinds to get to the stuff you actually want to see and do, Unlimited Cruise Red is the best because you can just do the coliseum mode if you want to instead of the story mode which is the most grindy the games get so they can wear you down pretty quickly.

I haven't played any of the DS games aside from Jump Ultimate Stars which is fun, but I don't hear good things about the other DS games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

seeing the gorosei fight. they're old men and run the world government

They're gonna get boiled alive by Akainu, there are too many important established fightmans to get through to bother with these jerks who may not even be fightmen

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Baal posted:

Good to hear, it'll give me more reason to keep getting through PW3'd story mode.

He's unlocked in dream mode in that game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does anything important unlock in story mode?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Baal posted:

Does anything important unlock in story mode?

A couple of characters. I think Marco, Jinbei and Ivankov. Presumably Sabo if you didn't get the preorder dlc.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's also playing the CP9 stage repeatedly with most of the Strawhats to get their 2-bar Musou.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're gonna get boiled alive by Akainu, there are too many important established fightmans to get through to bother with these jerks who may not even be fightmen

They'll probably end up being the real end bosses, with whatever revelations the Strawhats find on Raftel causing a massive shake up with portions of the Marines turning on the government.

I really kind of want Luffy to be fighting someone and Akainu tries to do an rear end in a top hat sucker punch, only for Garp to punch him across the battlefield. Sabo is way more likely to be the one to actually take Akainu out, but I hope Garp at least gets a lick or two of payback in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Why did the government name Chopper "Cotton Candy Lover"? The only time he had ever eaten Cotton Candy was in the audience of the Davy Back Fight, while he wasn't even a member of the Strawhat's crew. Aokiji was the only marine on that island that could have seen it. He does seem like the kind of guy that would shrug off his job to watch the Pirate Games, but why would he notice Chopper is one of the hundreds in the crowd eating stadium food?