Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fateo McMurray posted:

Are you HOTLADYBIGBOOBS?

i wish

E: dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fateo McMurray posted:

Not some clever name that involves the word "goon" somehow? D- effort

If we're tossing names out, how about Playstagoon 4?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I can't believe tony hawk did the marketing rounds for this game. Like, I know they were under contract to make another game but I am surprised he publicly went around promoting it. It's just so bad. His kid is in it and young enough to maybe like v games and I can't imagine what he's telling his friends. There's nothing to show off. 2 and 3 had better level designs. They were bigger and more interesting.

I know maybe this comes off as naive but this really made me lose some respect for tony hawk. I'm glad Rodney Mullen isn't in it because I can at least imagine he played it and was like nah sorry tony I don't want my name on this.

He's under contract. He probably knows its a really bad game and feels really lovely having to promote it. :smith:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tony-hawk-extends-long-term-exclusive-video-game-licensing-agreement-with-activision-76357687.html

they were going to lose it at the end of 2015, so they pumped out a game to make one last sale.

Which is hilarious since the end of the fiscal year is today, so they pumped out a game literally the last day they could

Also probably explains why the game had such a bad day-1 patch and is still completely borked. They were like "you have to ship by day X"

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've held off on getting a current gen system for a little while but recently have been sold on the ps4. My last system was an xbox 360 and I was wondering if there is any substitute for Forza? It looks like there are some good racing titles like Project Cars, but I wasn't able to find anything that has the same level of car customization and the RPG style career mode the Forza had where you gain experience with car-specific races.

Also, is it a requirement to install games onto the HD if you plan on sticking with physical copies only? 500 GB doesn't seem like much room based on the size of the game files. How much would a bigger HD cost?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Would anyone be down with a Diablo 3 play through? It's so fun co-op but it's never a consistent thing. So a group of 4 of us that would only play that character together and only when there's a time that works for everyone, (pst)

I would be interested. I'm in MST so I'm only an hour ahead.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

hot sauce posted:

I've held off on getting a current gen system for a little while but recently have been sold on the ps4. My last system was an xbox 360 and I was wondering if there is any substitute for Forza? It looks like there are some good racing titles like Project Cars, but I wasn't able to find anything that has the same level of car customization and the RPG style career mode the Forza had where you gain experience with car-specific races.

Also, is it a requirement to install games onto the HD if you plan on sticking with physical copies only? 500 GB doesn't seem like much room based on the size of the game files. How much would a bigger HD cost?

Installing to the HD is required for pretty much all current gen games on both systems, yeah. It's the new normal and 500GB won't last very long. But you can get 2TB hdds for cheap online.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
On the other hand, do you really need 30 full retail games installed at once unless you're still in high school or college?

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

hot sauce posted:

yes
~100 bucks for 2TB: Eurogamer guides

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Installing to the HD is required for pretty much all current gen games on both systems, yeah. It's the new normal and 500GB won't last very long. But you can get 2TB hdds for cheap online.
All games install to HDD. Disc or download, doesn't matter.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God drat, are they really taking away the ability to sort friends by online? That "add all the goons" script already made things hard, this is even worse

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah don't bother with events. Also I feel bad for the people with a million friends, cause it's just "All Friends" now instead of having an online tab.

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

second-hand smegma posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

It's not so bad, the list can be sorted by online status so you only ever have to care about the top entries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hot sauce posted:

It's a requirement for both xbone and ps4. Blu-ray actually has a slower read-rate than dvd's, so it can't keep up with pulling big hd game assets (relatively) randomly as-needed. Hence installing it all to a nice fast hard drive instead.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The online friends are still sorted first alphabetically before the offline list is. It's just in 1 screen now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

haveblue posted:

It's not so bad, the list can be sorted by online status so you only ever have to care about the top entries.

That is a good thing to know instead of just "ONLINE LIST GONE AHHHHHHH" goon wailing. Thank you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pleads posted:

That is a good thing to know instead of just "ONLINE LIST GONE AHHHHHHH" goon wailing. Thank you.

Agreed. Wasn't trying to be a poo poo, it just sounded nonsensical at first.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hot sauce posted:

Gran Turismo 7 will most likely be announced before the end of the year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

:siren: PlayStation Plus games for October have been announced :siren:

PS4 gets Super Meat Boy and Broken Age. Driveclub PS+ edition will be removed for public download on October 6th so if you want it get it soon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Policenaut posted:

PS4 gets Super Meat Boy and Broken Age. Driveclub PS+ edition will be removed for public download on October 6th so if you want it get it soon.

Noice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
IS DESTINY GOONS AND METAL GOON ONLINE CONSIDERED THE OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED COMMUNITIES?!

I needs to know. Both have 1 member.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Feenix posted:

IS DESTINY GOONS AND METAL GOON ONLINE CONSIDERED THE OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED COMMUNITIES?!

I needs to know. Both have 1 member.

Since apparently you need to know RIGHT FU KING NOW I would check in the actual destiny and MGS threads

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Policenaut posted:

Lmao so they delayed the PS+ edition by, what, a year? And then it was available for like 3 months?

I mean I eventually bought it but that's still lovely lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

robodex posted:

Lmao so they delayed the PS+ edition by, what, a year? And then it was available for like 3 months?

I mean I eventually bought it but that's still lovely lol

I'm assuming it is getting pulled because they're not seeing any significant number of downloads on it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Since apparently you need to know RIGHT FU KING NOW I would check in the actual destiny and MGS threads

Nah I'm just playing. :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The official Destiny group is 'That Wizard Came From the Goon'

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Any additions to Super Meat Boy or is it a straight port of the 360/PC game from 5 years ago?

Not knocking it, pretty excellent game to begin with, just wondering if anything was new.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm assuming it is getting pulled because they're not seeing any significant number of downloads on it.

That and you can just straight up buy the whole thing (season pass and everything) for $20.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harlock posted:

:golfclap: That's fantastic.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Harlock posted:

That's a good name.

The general goon group should be Xbox One 3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
For some more pointless Tony Hawk speculation, I would be curious to know how much of their budget they blew on licensed music alone. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the leadership hosed up the priorities, deciding that "badass licensed music" is a critical part of the TH experience and blew way too much of their money on it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

PantsBandit posted:

For some more pointless Tony Hawk speculation, I would be curious to know how much of their budget they blew on licensed music alone. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the leadership hosed up the priorities, deciding that "badass licensed music" is a critical part of the TH experience and blew way too much of their money on it.

Honestly I doubt the game is bad because of licensed music, considering adding it probably takes no dev time versus, you know, actually making the game good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

robodex posted:

Honestly I doubt the game is bad because of licensed music, considering adding it probably takes no dev time versus, you know, actually making the game good

Uh...what? I'm not saying literally putting the songs in the game is what would have impacted the quality. I'm saying spending a whole bunch of money on a soundtrack that is really only matched by EA sports games (which have huge budgets) when you're already (likely) on a shoe-string budget probably isn't a good idea and is going to drain resources from other aspects of the game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

He's under contract. He probably knows its a really bad game and feels really lovely having to promote it. :smith:

Also probably explains why the game had such a bad day-1 patch and is still completely borked. They were like "you have to ship by day X"

Except the PS3/360 versions aren't shipping until November 10th so that kind of messes up that theory a little. Maybe they negotiated something difference for those versions?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

univbee posted:

Except the PS3/360 versions aren't shipping until November 10th so that kind of messes up that theory a little. Maybe they negotiated something difference for those versions?

Yeah I have no idea how those contracts work, I was even thinking about that while I posted. They probably could have released the game later and been fine with Tony's contract but they pushed it out anyways because that's what the video game industry does in 2015? Ship it no matter what, maybe fix it later or maybe not. Hard to say.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

ImpAtom posted:

That's one way to make sure your servers are ready: wait until no one cares anymore to release it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it meat boy and broken age this month or do we have to vote for one? I want Both.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Is it meat boy and broken age this month or do we have to vote for one? I want Both.

It's both.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Fiscal years aren't universal in the US. Most businesses set their fiscal years to end right after the holidays so they can report big earnings with their annual report. The "end of fiscal year is today" thing is probably just conflated with the federal government's fiscal year ending today, not Activision's.

PantsBandit posted:

Uh...what? I'm not saying literally putting the songs in the game is what would have impacted the quality. I'm saying spending a whole bunch of money on a soundtrack that is really only matched by EA sports games (which have huge budgets) when you're already (likely) on a shoe-string budget probably isn't a good idea and is going to drain resources from other aspects of the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped money into pumping up the music to help create a "back to its roots" vibe so people will buy off nostalgia before word of mouth gets too bad.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

WHOOPS posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped money into pumping up the music to help create a "back to its roots" vibe so people will buy off nostalgia before word of mouth gets too bad.

I think you are giving a little too much credit. I doubt there was any conspiracy involved outside of a decision that it was not worth it to spend more time or money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I've been listening to the Ni No Kuni OST.

I know it's impossible but I REALLY want a sequel to this :( Joe Hisaishi's music is excellent. In the Ghibli movies, it's gold. In a RPG, it's goddamn divine.

Feel free to disagree but you know that you're wrong.

:colbert:

• Locked thread