Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

The rear end Stooge posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten a pair of headphones with an electronic device that weren't total pieces of poo poo. I'm just gonna keep using the nice headphones that I already have, so why would I want yet another crummy dollar store pair to throw in a drawer and forget about?

Coincidentally, the cheapest phone I've ever owned, the Alcatel Idol 3, came with the best set of headphones, an actually nice pair of JBL that I use constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't think I've ever gotten a pair of headphones with an electronic device that weren't total pieces of poo poo. I'm just gonna keep using the nice headphones that I already have, so why would I want yet another crummy dollar store pair to throw in a drawer and forget about?

I am fairly sure the headphones that came with my Zune were legitimately decent.

AS FOR THE DEVICE...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It was awesome, especially with Zune Music Pass or whatever it was actually called. Google Music (etc) without the convenience of mobile cloud access!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FAUXTON posted:

I am fairly sure the headphones that came with my Zune were legitimately decent.

AS FOR THE DEVICE...

I liked my zune. :colbert:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I had a z3 compact and really liked it, but the big deal here is that I can make payments through T-Mobile for the iPhone, but can't for the z5. I can't justify dropping $500+ on a phone, but spread it out over 2 years and I'm OK with it

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm a little sad Google didn't set up a payment plan deal like Apple or Motorola. The 6P does look amazing, though.

Buy off eBay and pay it off over 6 months with Paypal Credit?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm still using the Samsung earbuds that came with my GN, they are amazing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The headphones that come with Android flagships these days tend to be pretty good.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Just got a Fi invite. I wonder if a bunch are going out right now? I do also work near Google and have received weird location-based messages before.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Why is the $50 play store credit a US exclusive? between that and the Euro price, it seems the UK and others are getting bit of a lovely deal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I liked the UI, but the device (80 GB standard, not the touchscreen one) seemed to lose sensitivity in the little clicker/touchbutton thing :v:

It didn't help that I was able to just slap a big SD card in my phone and carry enough music around to be happy. I don't recall whether the regular Zune ever got the ability to purchase/download new music from the zune store over wifi, but such ended my love affair with the Zune. Went skiing a bunch with it listening to Amon Tobin and Jaga Jazzist :radcat:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 30, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FAUXTON posted:

AS FOR THE DEVICE...

The Zune headphones were great. I got a second pair when they were clearing them out. But my wife stole them to use as her workout earphones.

Also my Zune was only recently retired, it did great as my previous car's MP3 storage, Ford's Sync system worked really well with it. That was by Microsoft too so makes sense.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 30, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm a little sad Google didn't set up a payment plan deal like Apple or Motorola. The 6P does look amazing, though.

Rastor posted:

Buy off eBay and pay it off over 6 months with Paypal Credit?

It turns out there actually is a payment plan available -- if you are signing up for Project Fi.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
To those who pulled the trigger on the Nexus 2015 5x/6x , does google charge your CC right away or when it ships? I was looking at the terms of sale and it wasnt clear there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CheeseSpawn posted:

To those who pulled the trigger on the Nexus 2015 5x/6x , does google charge your CC right away or when it ships? I was looking at the terms of sale and it wasnt clear there.

They do an authorization charge, remove it, then don't charge again until it ships.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

FAUXTON posted:

AS FOR THE DEVICE...

I had a first-generation Zune and it was pretty rad once the first major software revision came out. I gave it to my mom when I got my first smartphone and she used it for quite a while until it went through the wash.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

:stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

/

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Whelp. I've been a devout dumbphone user for countless years but I ordered a Nexus 5X and signed up for Project FI. Hopefully all these smartphone elitists are wrong and the 5X won't be completely useless with only 2GB of ram.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Is there a good reason for Nexus 5X over a Moto X Play? Moto X is a tiny bit bigger, but you get a 5.5" screen instead of a 5.2", SD card reader, water resistance and a 3630 mAh battery instead of 2700 mAh. Nexus 5X has: USB-C, quick charge, fingerprint sensor, slightly lighter. Low light camera vs higher megapixel camera, sensor hub to save power (that's not going to overcome such a big battery gap). Did I miss anything?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

comcor posted:

I don't think I've gotten a pair of headphones with a Nexus phone since the Galaxy Nexus. None with the 4, 5, or 6. Though I did get a pair from Project Fi.

My Nexus 6 came with some.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wow, what the gently caress is this price disparity between the US and Europe? That's Adobe absurd levels.

Yeah, not going to pay €479/$537 for a 5X. Hopefully the radios in the US version work OK in Europe, thinking about just buying it there when I go in December.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.

rapeface posted:

Is there a good reason for Nexus 5X over a Moto X Play? Moto X is a tiny bit bigger, but you get a 5.5" screen instead of a 5.2", SD card reader, water resistance and a 3630 mAh battery instead of 2700 mAh. Nexus 5X has: USB-C, quick charge, fingerprint sensor, slightly lighter. Low light camera vs higher megapixel camera, sensor hub to save power (that's not going to overcome such a big battery gap). Did I miss anything?

An Android Police editor said that the Snapdragon 615 was a poor chip https://plus.google.com/113781386215450614303/posts/ai1NGyKnKLS

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

rapeface posted:

N5X has a far better camera, has the CPU from the X Pure/Style, and is a fully supported developer device. Easy decision.

If you go Moto get the Pure at least.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

WarpZealot posted:

An Android Police editor said that the Snapdragon 615 was a poor chip https://plus.google.com/113781386215450614303/posts/ai1NGyKnKLS

Oh, interesting.

wooger posted:

N5X has a far better camera, has the CPU from the X Pure/Style, and is a fully supported developer device. Easy decision.

If you go Moto get the Pure at least.

I might just not bother upgrading, those goddamn giant bezels really bug me. If they made them dual speakers, I'd be all over it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MC Hawking posted:

RIP notification LED, you will be missed.
N5X confirmed to have a notification LED (by Dave Burke). 6P also has one, but we already knew that from spec sheet.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I really, really want a 6P but the Australian prices are absurd. $900 for the 32GB through to $1100 for the 128GB. Even taking into account how poorly the dollar is doing now, that is a 15-20% markup over USD prices. The prices don't even include GST.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
32g OG Nexus 5: $450AU
16g Nexus 5X: $660AU

Man, if the bezels were smaller or it had dual speakers I still might get it but for ~$700AU, I could get any other flagship in Australia. That's iPhone 6S prices :gonk: *no it's not i was looking at the US store like an idiot

Edit: ^ Hah, what up Australia phone buying buddy

crepeface fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 30, 2015

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Curious, I have a Nexus 4 and I want to upgrade to the 5X. I also want to move over from T-Mobile to Project Fi.

If I go through Project Fi to port my number, are they going to port my number today leaving me without phone service till I get the 5X in 3-4 weeks, or will it not happen once I have the phone in hand?

I would like to know how this works as well.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Chill Penguin posted:

Just got a Fi invite. I wonder if a bunch are going out right now? I do also work near Google and have received weird location-based messages before.

I received mine yesterday as well. Hopefully these invites don't expire because it might be a few months before I get my hands on a Fi-capable phone.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

amenenema posted:

They don't port until you activate the Project Fi SIM. I went through the process yesterday and nothing is made official until that point. I ordered a SIM Kit yesterday and set up my account, the SIM isn't set to arrive until Oct 27.

Hughmoris posted:

I received mine yesterday as well. Hopefully these invites don't expire because it might be a few months before I get my hands on a Fi-capable phone.

According to an e-mail I got from them a week after my original invite, they don't expire.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Red Warrior posted:

The Zune headphones were great. I got a second pair when they were clearing them out. But my wife stole them to use as her workout earphones.

Also my Zune was only recently retired, it did great as my previous car's MP3 storage, Ford's Sync system worked really well with it. That was by Microsoft too so makes sense.

Hell, I have the 1402 model Zune and I still keep it around as my work music player. It doesn't support cloud music, but it's not that big a deal to take it home once every other month to sync it.

I never could get it working with Ford Sync though. The car just tells me it cannot communicate with the USB device. Could just be because my car has one of the first iterations of Sync or something. I run car music off a 64gb thumb drive instead and have to argue with the nice car lady about which album she thinks I want to hear.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 30, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

This is hardly a sure thing.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Anyone nervous about the 810 in the 6P? Have the issues with that chip been addressed or were they overblown? No one seems to be concerned.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Anyone nervous about the 810 in the 6P? Have the issues with that chip been addressed or were they overblown? No one seems to be concerned.

The 2.1 chip is supposed to be an improvement but my gs6 already gets so hot I really couldn't care less. Besides it'll be winter by the time I get one, save on some heating bills.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Not even 10:30am, 12 minutes of screen time and my battery is sitting at a cool 79%. Please marshmallow, please.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

It throttles pretty hard in plastic phones, but the metal body on the 6P might offset that if Huawei properly heatsinked the chip against the case. No way to know yet :shrug:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

amenenema posted:

I just went through the sign up. If you are BYOD/porting a number, you need to order a sim kit. When the sim kit arrives, you will start the number porting process. You are not billed until you activate your google fi sim kit, and your number will be active on your old carrier until the porting process finishes, which will be after your sim kit arrives and you activate it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

uPen posted:

The 2.1 chip is supposed to be an improvement but my gs6 already gets so hot I really couldn't care less. Besides it'll be winter by the time I get one, save on some heating bills.

Virtually all phones with the 810 have the 2.1

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Do we know yet if the 5X/6P type-C connectors support video out?

Rusty Kettle posted:

A little, but we really don't know until we have them in hand.

And the aluminum case *could* (not will) help a lot.