Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

R.D. Mangles posted:

he is if you are A McCown

Ready if the power goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What if it turns out Trestman's only skill is as a McCown whisperer and he is capable of getting a McCown to be the best McCown possible, so you know if you have Trestman you get a quarterback playing as well as he possibly can BUT you can only sign a McCown.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

What if it turns out Trestman's only skill is as a McCown whisperer and he is capable of getting a McCown to be the best McCown possible, so you know if you have Trestman you get a quarterback playing as well as he possibly can BUT you can only sign a McCown.

I meant Trestman is ready if the power goes down, but fair point.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Petite Dinklage posted:

Imagine if you replaced Philbin with Zombie Lombardi

Lombardi would be more animated.

E: I really need to make a thread sometime about Lombardi's playbook.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 30, 2015

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Darth Brooks posted:

Lombardi would be more animated.

Philbin's son would be more animated.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Catfish Stevens posted:

Philbin's son would be more animated.

If only Philbin's coaching ability had risen to the depths of which his son sank.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"actually the Coach Son has Died due to his fathers lack of success."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

js86 posted:

Meanwhile in Baltimore, Marc Trestman is doing to Joe Flacco what he did to Jay Cutler. That man really is a QB guru.

0-16 Watch: The Baltimore Ravens starts Thursday night when Vick has an MVP game

pls kill me

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
No one is going to go 0-16.

Sadly.

Edit: wow I didn't realize Forte will be 30 in December. Set him free Bears.

#BearLivesMatter

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 30, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Brock vereen cut

This is getting out of control

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NC-17 posted:

Edit: wow I didn't realize Forte will be 30 in December. Set him free Bears.

You don't set 30 year old running backs free, they wouldn't make it. You take them to a nice farm somewhere.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Brock vereen cut

This is getting out of control

Why do you cut a 23 year old DB?

If Fox doesn't want to use him he must loving blow. Fox is a magician with DBs.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

John Fox is an awful coach and without world-class talent around him he will collapse and be found eating his own poo poo in the locker room shower

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
So did John Fox not do his homework before ageeing to this head coaching gig? He doesnt strike me as a guy who, at least at this point in his career, would sign on for a long term rebuild. If he spent more than 5 minutes looking at the roster he would have realized he was not pulling a one year turnaround like he did in Carolina. Fox will not be in Chicago the next time they are ready to compete and I would bet this is his last stint as a HC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lt. Chips posted:

So did John Fox not do his homework before ageeing to this head coaching gig? He doesnt strike me as a guy who, at least at this point in his career, would sign on for a long term rebuild. If he spent more than 5 minutes looking at the roster he would have realized he was not pulling a one year turnaround like he did in Carolina. Fox will not be in Chicago the next time they are ready to compete and I would bet this is his last stint as a HC.

He's getting paid. He's know exactly what he's doing.

In 2010 he knew where he'd be in 2011. He's ruthless.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also his job is secure for at least 3-4 years as long as he doesn't have a meltdown like Emery and Tresty did.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fox was brought on to fix the defense, which is so devoid of talent it needs a few drafts worth of guys to fix. The offense was supposed to be what it was supposed to be last year. A good enough QB throwing to two good WR's, a really good running back and solid enough other weapons. But instead, both WR's are hurt, the QB got injured and the offense is hosed.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Maybe Pace is just trying to make Emery look worse in retrospect by dumping all of his draft picks?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

Dexo posted:

Also his job is secure for at least 3-4 years as long as he doesn't have a meltdown like Emery and Tresty did.

Yeah... about that..

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
* hot takes * from facebook

Easy enough right guys?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

embarrasing tank posted:

Yeah... about that..

There is literally zero chance he has a melt down like those two. The final 6 weeks of last season were a complete dumpster fire

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
How do you compare the first few performances this year with the last six of last? To add context, if the current level of play continued for the season, would this be considered mainly a factor of inheriting Trestman's plans; or would that be considered a horrible coaching performance on par with Trestman?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

embarrasing tank posted:

How do you compare the first few performances this year with the last six of last? To add context, if the current level of play continued for the season, would this be considered mainly a factor of inheriting Trestman's plans; or would that be considered a horrible coaching performance on par with Trestman?

Way better. Lets be real, this team has played 3 of the best teams in the NFL. The Packers and Cardinals are running trains on everyone, and the Seahawks are struggling a bit, but are still talented as gently caress besides their terrible offensive line.

If Cutler was healthy for Seattle and the defense played as well as it did that game that game would have been much much closer. as Jimmy Clausen is a sucky rear end quarterback.

Put it this way. Trestman literally said that Jimmy Clausen was their best chance at winning. And that's the least offensive thing that he did during those last six games.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 30, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dexo posted:

Way better. Lets be real, this team has played 3 of the best teams in the NFL. The Packers and Cardinals are running trains on everyone, and the Seahawks are struggling a bit, but are still talented as gently caress besides their terrible offensive line.

If Cutler was healthy for Seattle and the defense played as well as it did that game that game would have been much much closer. as Jimmy Clausen is a sucky rear end quarterback.

Put it this way. Trestman literally said that Jimmy Clausen was their best chance at winning. And that's the least offensive thing that he did during those last six games.

The whole "Cutler is the problem" thing was so transparently about throwing him under the bus to save his job.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

John Fox is an awful coach and without world-class talent around him he will collapse and be found eating his own poo poo in the locker room shower

vintage ST post.

Dexo posted:

You mean like going 0-16?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The whole "Cutler is the problem" thing was so transparently about throwing him under the bus to save his job.

Yep, He talked with his guy Gruden and had Gruden just bury Cutler that Monday Night game. Cutler was literally getting blamed for false starts, dropped passes and poo poo.

Then it comes out that Kromer was going to media with hit jobs on Cutler, a sane Organization would have fired the OC that is going behind the back of the team and doing hit jobs in the media. If he had done it in a press conference with his name attached to it then sure more power to you, but just being an rear end in a top hat and leaking poo poo without attaching you name is bitch poo poo.

This dude brought in a DC that was in charge of the worst defense in the entire loving history of the Bears, and didn't fire him after that, brought him back only for him to once again have the worst defense in the entire history of the loving team.

Meanwhile It's obviously Cutler's fault that this team sucks. Not the fact that your dumb rear end isn't running the ball, or the fact that the defense is forcing Cutler to throw the ball 50 times a game. And gently caress that going deep poo poo that worked the year before, we are just gonna run short underneath routes all the time.

Chilichimp posted:

vintage ST post.

You mean like going 0-16?

Nope, because at least in Chicago he's at least losing in a professional manner with hope if that makes any sense. Trestman and Emery hosed this team(Nirwad was right :smith:) Emery drafted 2 players who can play all of his other picks were hot garbage. And Trestman made the team an embarrassment, while somehow making Cutler a sympathetic figure.

This team around here is expected to be bad for at least a year or two. John Fox has some rope.

Going full 0-16 might make the leash a bit shorter. But real talk I doubt the Bears go 0-16.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 30, 2015

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

This seems like the right thread to ask this. Why do you guys call Clausen Pickles?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I only know vlasic

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like butter and chips pickles

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dexo posted:

Yep, He talked with his guy Gruden and had Gruden just bury Cutler that Monday Night game. Cutler was literally getting blamed for false starts, dropped passes and poo poo.

Then it comes out that Kromer was going to media with hit jobs on Cutler, a sane Organization would have fired the OC that is going behind the back of the team and doing hit jobs in the media. If he had done it in a press conference with his name attached to it then sure more power to you, but just being an rear end in a top hat and leaking poo poo without attaching you name is bitch poo poo.

This dude brought in a DC that was in charge of the worst defense in the entire loving history of the Bears, and didn't fire him after that, brought him back only for him to once again have the worst defense in the entire history of the loving team.

Meanwhile It's obviously Cutler's fault that this team sucks. Not the fact that your dumb rear end isn't running the ball, or the fact that the defense is forcing Cutler to throw the ball 50 times a game. And gently caress that going deep poo poo that worked the year before, we are just gonna run short underneath routes all the time.

Nope, because at least in Chicago he's at least losing in a professional manner with hope if that makes any sense. Trestman and Emery hosed this team(Nirwad was right :smith:) Emery drafted 2 players who can play all of his other picks were hot garbage. And Trestman made the team an embarrassment, while somehow making Cutler a sympathetic figure.

This team around here is expected to be bad for at least a year or two. John Fox has some rope.

Going full 0-16 might make the leash a bit shorter. But real talk I doubt the Bears go 0-16.

All that and every time I watched a Bears game that year, Cutler had no time to throw behind the o-line.

That's a shame that Gruden would be enough of a poo poo to do that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin' pickle-talk. TFF :allears:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i keep slices spears and minis in my fridge

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's a shame that Gruden would be enough of a poo poo to do that.

Being anti-Cutler isn't a particularly bold stance in the national media. Just look at all the shots the ugly NFL.com writers take. Weird that its usually guys like Schein, La Canfora and Orr.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

This year isn't going to be as much of an embarrassment because the Bears are actually making steps towards being a Professional Team in the National Football League. The last half decade or so there were so many stories of players feeling disrespected and belittled by a lot of the front office staff. Urlacher has talked a lot about how the team basically told him to gently caress off when his contract was up, and there's been a few players with similar stories. Last year they did poo poo like what Kromer did and loving around with the team captains and the locker room and poo poo, which all goes on Trestman. The environment had become pretty toxic from all accounts.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but all the reports seem to indicate the overall environment is much better now. Lots of players have said that last year was uncomfortable coming in for practice or games but that things are much better this year. The staff is making a push to reach out to former players like Urlacher and Butkus instead of treating them like a crazy ex-girlfriend. I get the sense that Ryan Pace and John Fox are trying to build a team that the players are proud of and excited to be a part of. Kevin White was basically saying he was really hoping to be drafted by the Bears a few days before the draft... when's the last time you heard that?

Last year's meltdown, in my opinion, was embarrassing for the dirty laundry that kept spilling out of Halas hall and the obvious misery on the player's faces. If they go 5-11 again or even worse, as long as the toxic environment goes away, I'm willing to put this year in the win column. Getting rid of locker room cancers (cough Brandon Marshall cough) and making a team players are proud of are the real goals.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ArgaWarga posted:

This year isn't going to be as much of an embarrassment because the Bears are actually making steps towards being a Professional Team in the National Football League. The last half decade or so there were so many stories of players feeling disrespected and belittled by a lot of the front office staff. Urlacher has talked a lot about how the team basically told him to gently caress off when his contract was up, and there's been a few players with similar stories. Last year they did poo poo like what Kromer did and loving around with the team captains and the locker room and poo poo, which all goes on Trestman. The environment had become pretty toxic from all accounts.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but all the reports seem to indicate the overall environment is much better now. Lots of players have said that last year was uncomfortable coming in for practice or games but that things are much better this year. The staff is making a push to reach out to former players like Urlacher and Butkus instead of treating them like a crazy ex-girlfriend. I get the sense that Ryan Pace and John Fox are trying to build a team that the players are proud of and excited to be a part of. Kevin White was basically saying he was really hoping to be drafted by the Bears a few days before the draft... when's the last time you heard that?

Last year's meltdown, in my opinion, was embarrassing for the dirty laundry that kept spilling out of Halas hall and the obvious misery on the player's faces. If they go 5-11 again or even worse, as long as the toxic environment goes away, I'm willing to put this year in the win column. Getting rid of locker room cancers (cough Brandon Marshall cough) and making a team players are proud of are the real goals.

That's all nice, but at the end of the day you're still left with a pretty appalling game-day coach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sean10mm posted:

That's all nice, but at the end of the day you're still left with a pretty appalling game-day coach.

That's cool I long for the days of Lovie Smith so we'll at least get this team back to neutral rather than going full speed in reverse, like we have the past few years.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Knyteguy posted:

* hot takes * from facebook

Easy enough right guys?

Yeah man, guys like Rodgers and Peyton are totally easy to find, why are 20+ teams starting mediocre-to-bad QBs, y'all are so dumb :derp:

And the Bears are bad but they're not 0-16 bad. They'll find 3 games to win somewhere, at least. They have to play the Lions twice.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

That tweet is like Bill Simmons making imaginary NBA trades in one of his lovely columns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Lions will beat the Bears both times. The only question is if they'll be beating Cutler both times, or Clausen to go 1-5 and then Cutler when it's meaningless in the second game and both teams have given up on playoff contention

• Locked thread