Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Dalael your battleground is that Bernie has a chance to win NY in the primaries from Hillary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dalael posted:

Pretty much my point. The schedule however, nicely demonstrate the point.

Except it doesn't to anyone that isn't in love with the Chicken man.

Because this

Veskit posted:

Dalael your battleground is that Bernie has a chance to win NY in the primaries from Hillary?

among others

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, if the fact the Pope opposes gay marriage is news to you...

No he can oppose whatever he wants but people should be condemning him and he shouldn't get talked about as if he is somehow a progressive.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Veskit posted:

What? No. My point is that those debates are poorly scheduled. I even mentioned

Dalael posted:

Look at the dates I've shown.

1st debate. 4 days after people no longer can register as a democrat. This can hurt all democratic candidate, including hillary. People who may be declared as independent or republicans will not be able to change their minds if they actually like what the candidates have to say.

2nd debate: on a saturday. Historically has less people watching TV than any other day.

3rd debate: The saturday rioght before Christmas. What do people do on that saturday? They shop, but they certainly don't watch debates.

4th: During the NFL Divisional Playoffs. A lot of people will chose to watch this over watching the debates.

Horrible dates. Deny it all you want.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

So can we talk about how the Pope is still a hateful bigot and shouldn't be fawned over?

If your bar for the Pope being a cool dude is a reversal of positions held by a world-spanning religion with a literal millenia-old bureaucracy and tradition, no Pope is ever going to be good enough for maybe another couple millenia again.

Not that there's anything wrong with maintaining such a high standard, but some people choose the religious equivalent of applauding Hillary's decision to call out Martin Shkreli and coming out against Keystone XL, even as they acknowledge that the latter was late and the rest of the platform isn't nearly as progressive as it could be.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

In one state! It's a national primary, and the number of people who would register in NY after a single debate is probably in the thousands, maaaybe low five digits. NYS has almost 20 million residents.

Considering NY is her state the idea that there would be a noticable flip toward Bernie is kinda laughable.

Dalael posted:

No. I didn't say how many debates I want. I said 6 isn't enough.

Okay. There's less candidates this year.

The known ones:

Lincoln Chafee
Hillary Clinton
Martin O'Malley
Bernie Sanders
Jim Webb

These are usually featured in the polls.

The following other "notable" individuals have taken one or both of the following actions: formally announced their candidacy; filed as a candidate with FEC.

Jeff Boss
Harry Braun
Lawrence Lessig
Robby Wells
Willie Wilson

I don't think I've seen them in any polls. Total, 10 candidates.

About half of the number for 2008, yet 1/4th the amount of debates. Say what you want, you're wrong.

I think we have different ideas on what constitutes "known" and "notable".

Dalael posted:

What? No. My point is that those debates are poorly scheduled. I even mentioned
*includes date of a NY primary*

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I think probably that prolife people think she got chumped and prochoice people think she was the one doing the chumping. That is to say, this isn't an issue it's possible to sway opinion on.

The prolife people I know were in "UGH they're not asking the right questions! They look like idiots!" mode yesterday, but they got their marching orders from the media machine and are now totally gung ho that Richards got destroyed.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In a thread about corrupted politics and political machinery people are aghast at the slightest accusation that democrats could possibly use their organization to promote their preferred candidate. The DNC and DWS are bastions of political purity.

the DNC is definitely using its organization to help Clinton, and that is probably why there are so few debates.

At the same time, the selection of the dates is not a dastardly plot to throw the NY primary to Clinton, and saying that we need to give Robby Wells and Willie Wilson a shot in the debates is extremely laffo

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Dalael posted:

Look at the dates I've shown.

1st debate. 4 days after people no longer can register as a democrat. This can hurt all democratic candidate, including hillary. People who may be declared as independent or republicans will not be able to change their minds if they actually like what the candidates have to say.

the deadline is for 2015 elections only. why the gently caress would the registration for an april 2016 election be in october?

look at 2012:

quote:

New York was one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system. Voters were required to register to vote in the primary by June 1, 2012, which was 25 days before the primary took place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe Bernie would have more establishment support if he was a better politician and candidate I don't know.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Considering NY is her state the idea that there would be a noticable flip toward Bernie is kinda laughable.

I literally copied and pasted from the wiki. I added the quotes to notable for the same reason you made that poo poo post.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

No he can oppose whatever he wants but people should be condemning him and he shouldn't get talked about as if he is somehow a progressive.

I think people are calling him progressive for a Pope, not progressive as in he should join the Progressive Caucus.

He does have a number of stances that are to the left of one of the ruling parties in the U.S. so some people find that notable for a leader of a millennia old centralized-authoritarian religious group with over a billion followers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm skeptical that a significant number of voters tune into debates to honestly decide which candidate they are going to vote for. Debates nowadays are just about not loving up and playing prevent D.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

Maybe Bernie would have more establishment support if he was a better politician and candidate I don't know.

Or if his fervent supporters didn't come off as raving loons. Case in point:

Dalael posted:

I literally copied and pasted from the wiki. I added the quotes to notable for the same reason you made that poo poo post.

So you yourself mock the idea that they have a chance in hell and bemoan it at the same time?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

sudo rm -rf posted:

the deadline is for 2015 elections only. why the gently caress would the registration for an april 2016 election be in october?

look at 2012:

October 9th is the deadline for people to register as democrats if they are registered as either independant or republicans. meanning anyone who wants to make the switch and vote for a democratic candidate past the debate, won't be able to.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

We need a more democratic process! Don't shut out Jeff Boss! Jet fuel can't melt steel beams!

- Dalael

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Gravel Gravy posted:

So you yourself mock the idea that they have a chance in hell and bemoan it at the same time?

The fact that they have literally no chance, does not mean we shouldn't be having a good number of debates for their ideas to be out there.
4 months ago, most people said Bernie Sanders (for example) had absolutely no chance. Now he's polly at less than 10 point from Clinton. Wtf do you have against more debates anyways? Afraid your little queen will lose face again?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gravel Gravy posted:

gently caress YOU HARRY BRAUN IS AMERICA'S NEXT PRESIDENT

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm glad that we on the left can now have the Ron Paul Experience.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
dalael what would the proper unbiased debate schedule be

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

dalael what would the proper unbiased debate schedule be

One that includes more debates, at better dates.

But hey.. I'm done with this. Obviously, democracy is over rated and you guys think debates is a waste of time.

All hail queen :shillary:, Make way for her coronation. gently caress democracy.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Like I feel like I've made this point already, but I really want to emphasize here that Dalael tried to say we should have more debates by counting Harry Braun, Jeff Boss, Robby Wells, Willie Wilson, and Laurence Lessig as important candidates, and it's extremely funny to me

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dalael posted:

But hey.. I'm done with this. Obviously, democracy is over rated and you guys think debates is a waste of time.

All hail queen :shillary:, Make way for her coronation. gently caress democracy.

why do you think more debates would benefit sanders

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Dalael posted:

October 9th is the deadline for people to register as democrats if they are registered as either independant or republicans. meanning anyone who wants to make the switch and vote for a democratic candidate past the debate, won't be able to.

then who cares?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dalael posted:

You can't even come up with better dates because you know your argument is dumb

Bob Ojeda posted:

Like I feel like I've made this point already, but I really want to emphasize here that Dalael tried to say we should have more debates by counting Harry Braun, Jeff Boss, Robby Wells, Willie Wilson, and Laurence Lessig as important candidates, and it's extremely funny to me

Or that Clinton has an evil scheme to keep people from registering as Democrats in New York

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bob Ojeda posted:

I would legit love to see a debate with all these guys because it'd be loving hilarious. Harry Braun all talking about how the 6th great extinction is coming, Willie Wilson just wearing that "I farted" face all the time.. I don't know poo poo about Jeff Boss or Robby Wells, but I'm guessing they're loving nuts.

edit Oh thank god I decided to google "NOTABLE CANDIDATE" Jeff Boss:

Googled Robby Wells too, I kinda like him!

quote:

As we continue this journey to Washington, it has become very apparent that my plan, "Eaglenomics," is what our nation needs and desires.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 30, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dalael posted:

also whats wrong with the dates they picked, specifically. are they celestially inauspicious or something

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

How about we move on from this subject with a comprimise? DWS/the DNC is obviously trying to bias the debate structure to minimize exposure, which is probably in Hillary's favor as the estabishment candidate. However there are few dates out there which couldn't be pegged as 'bad' if you're willing to stretch far enough (OMG we can't have it on November 7th, that's after Alabama's voter registration closes! And the 10th is out, that's Fallout 4 comes out that day and you'll have a decrease in millineals watching! CONSPIRACY!), there's all of two candidates who are polling above the margin of error so twenty-loving-six debates between them is ludicrous, and Daleal is acting like a goddamn loon who's turning more people off than proving a point.

Can we all get behind that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also whats wrong with the dates they picked, specifically. are they celestially inauspicious or something

3 are on the weekend. Only weekday debates are "legit" debates.

All 4 come after a registration deadline for some US state and thus are anti-Sanders. Only debates that take place before any and all registration deadlines are valid.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mulva posted:

Because jeering at world leaders until they become totally ideologically correct to our current left-standard of the moment isn't effective. The man is utterly wrong on a few issues, but is a force for good on a lot more. It's almost as if he's making...progress...on various issues that are imminantly important from a global perspective.

Or we could just keep jeering, and cede the effective medium of religion to the right for another 40 years, as it's done so well for us in the interim since the civil rights era.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
dalael *pounds chest w/ fist* come and show me the efficacy of endless debate in swaying the majority opinion *arsenio hall woot woot noise*

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

why do you think more debates would benefit sanders

I would assume because Sanders himself said that there should be more debates in an interview on, I believe MSNBC, so of course there need to be more debates, he said so!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dalael posted:

The fact that they have literally no chance, does not mean we shouldn't be having a good number of debates for their ideas to be out there.
4 months ago, most people said Bernie Sanders (for example) had absolutely no chance. Now he's polly at less than 10 point from Clinton. Wtf do you have against more debates anyways? Afraid your little queen will lose face again?

The point is you seem to like using certain facts an awful lot when they support your case and then in the same vain ignore them when they don't. I am not a big fan of disinformation.

Keep in mind that it is my intent to vote for Bernie in the primary, so I am unsure why you call her my Queen. I'd suggest you get your facts straight but considering your argument I may as well search for Atlantis in Nairobi.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mulva posted:

This Pope is actually progressive as all gently caress on a poo poo-load of issues. I can applaud and recognize him for that and also disapprove of his few negative positions because I'm not a goddamn idiot.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Because they sound spooky scary when pasted on a jpeg.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

I would assume because Sanders himself said that there should be more debates in an interview on, I believe MSNBC, so of course there need to be more debates, he said so!

I mean, its fairly common political thinking that a front-runner wants fewer debates and an underdog wants more.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The NY State thing is a dumb non-issue

Having three (3) debates on Saturday is really, really dumb tho

DWS should have been fired after he midterms

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
moderator: Mr. Sanders, is it true that your ipod contains only one song, with only one playlist, the Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar" on repeat?

sanders: :sweatdrop:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

moderator: Mr. Sanders, is it true that your ipod contains only one song, with only one playlist, the Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar" on repeat?

sanders: :sweatdrop:

Is it bad that I sing that song every time a recipe calls for brown sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Tempest_56 posted:

How about we move on from this subject with a comprimise? DWS/the DNC is obviously trying to bias the debate structure to minimize exposure, which is probably in Hillary's favor as the estabishment candidate. However there are few dates out there which couldn't be pegged as 'bad' if you're willing to stretch far enough (OMG we can't have it on November 7th, that's after Alabama's voter registration closes! And the 10th is out, that's Fallout 4 comes out that day and you'll have a decrease in millineals watching! CONSPIRACY!), there's all of two candidates who are polling above the margin of error so twenty-loving-six debates between them is ludicrous, and Daleal is acting like a goddamn loon who's turning more people off than proving a point.

Can we all get behind that?

I never said I wanted 26 debates. I said that 6 isn't enough. Then I used the example of the 2008 primairies as a comparison. 2008 had twice more candidate, and 4 times more debates. Something like 12 debates would probably be better. Its not my fault if you retards can't help but imagine words I did not say.

And if you think that the saturday right before christmas, is a good date.. then you're fuckign delusional. Same for a NFL division playoff that attracts a poo poo ton of viewers.

Gravel Gravy posted:

The point is you seem to like using certain facts an awful lot when they support your case and then in the same vain ignore them when they don't. I am not a big fan of disinformation.

Keep in mind that it is my intent to vote for Bernie in the primary, so I am unsure why you call her my Queen. I'd suggest you get your facts straight but considering your argument I may as well search for Atlantis in Nairobi.

What facts did I ignore? Go back 4 or 5 pages if you like, and tell me what facts did I ignore?

• Locked thread