Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
forum gentrification. build some high end subforums that will attract affluent posters that will raise property values around them. make a financial discussion forum. return yospos to being the exclusive apple fan club. charge $2 to create a gbs thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sweevo posted:

at least tell me who the ripper was
a nasty surprise, a devil in disguise, a footstep at night, a scream of fright

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

a nasty surprise, a devil in disguise, a footstep at night, a scream of fright

are those inxs lyrics?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
priest

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i am shamed :blush:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

pram posted:

lowtax made the decision a long time ago to develop his own software instead of buying a new vbulletin license.
no offense, but you're an idiot

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

pram posted:

yeah 14 years ago
Dont you think that if the answer was simply " HURRR UPGRADE VB" I would've done that a loooooooong time ago? I know you want to think that I ruined this entire community because I didn't want to pony up a payment of $250, but literally 70% of the code running here is custom and from scratch. I know in your world all problems would be solved by merely upgrading vB or one of many other simple and easy answers, and I know how familiar you are with the performance impact and changes each and every vB iteration released had, but for some reason, the world and situation is slightly more complex than that.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

pram posted:

haha. imagine if lowtax had to spend.. uhh

http://www.vbulletin.com/en/purchases/

$250 dollars. lol. instead of someones salary for a decade, umm, and a colo. and emergency support etc
you're an incredible moron

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
you could always become a full time streamer

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

charge for stickied threads

just make up a bunch of new gimmick poo poo, do a one time donation drive to get a new stable code base going, figure out some subscription perks to grow users e-peen and then let the money flow in

hire barbarian bob to institute wozpop sitewide

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lowtax i will catalog the sites sickest burns and release a book and we won't pay a dime to the actual poasters cause that's the hot poo poo right now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i'd pay to replace my plat grenade

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lowtax reissue the happy cat shirt

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

oh pardon me, I mean can i haz cheeseburger cat

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Improbable Lobster posted:

you could always become a full time streamer
no no no man, it's as easy as simply ponying up $250. All our problems will be solved with $250.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

also I'll bet those fiesta cat plushes are still out there. just gotta track that crate down

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
golden grenades, $10 per, expires every 6 months

the real key is to get an autobill system to take a small amount from people each month, half either forget or are too lazy to change the settings, that's way better than a one-time infusion

sadly, a lot of suggestions require actual coding... which has to be paid for with actual money

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'd pay to replace my plat grenade
Again, thank you for your suggestions, but I just now realized all it will take to solve all our issues is $250. THE CRISIS IS OVER!!!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bhodi posted:

golden grenades, $10 per, expires every 6 months

the real key is to get an autobill system to take a small amount from people each month, half either forget or are too lazy to change the settings, that's way better than a one-time infusion

sadly, a lot of suggestions require actual coding... which has to be paid for with actual money

you too can join the forums for only $1.99 a month

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
edit someone else's posts, $1 per character

posting per day limit, buy gems to decrease the cooldown

wait don't go i have some more awful suggestions around here somewhere

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Lowtax, please sticky a post that says everyone has to tweet "Kevin Spacey!!!" at exactly 10 AM PDT (5PM UTC) this Friday. I would like to see what happens.

Thanks.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lowtax posted:

Again, thank you for your suggestions, but I just now realized all it will take to solve all our issues is $250. THE CRISIS IS OVER!!!!!

glad to hear it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

$20 for a six hour probe "grenade" you can use on anyone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
starting the kickstarter to raise $250

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Lowtax posted:

but will vb sell to a site full of white supremacists :ohdear:

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

Plat and no ads: each $1 per month recurring, $1.50 for both.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
we need to attract new posters

i propose a 30 seconds ad in the superbowl

starring jennifer lawrence

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thinking small, we need to sponsor our own bowl game.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
here is my 5 point plan

1. gamification
2. microtransactions
3. social media
4. ????
5. Profit

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

The Management posted:

thinking small, we need to sponsor our own bowl game.

the city name sports team bowl

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A "pay what you want" monthly/yearly subscription model.

I do some part time work with an industry specific website and we've been trying to figure out how to generate additional revenue. We put out a little note telling people that if they signed up to the subscription model then they got a little logo next to their name saying they were a "site supporter" and got beta tester access to website changes, a "contributers only" type forum, and Q&A sessions with industry guests. The Q&A sessions are later posted to the main site.

We also have have a "premium" tier where if you pay at least $50/year then you also get access to 1080p videos of sessions and keynotes from the conferences we host along with transcripts and the slide decks. All subscribers, regardless of tier, also get their names posted to a "subscriber wall of fame" that's sorted based on the amount contributed.

I was honestly surprised at how many people signed up for the premium tier, never mind the "pay what you want level". Our average premium tier subscription fee is well above the $50/year price and our average PWYW fee is almost at $50/year.

The whole badge & wall of fame system is shockingly effective and has, maybe a bit unfortunately, become a bit of a dick waving contest. We now have people asking us for a higher tier, with no additional benefits, but just signify them as someone who has contributed more than $X.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
open source the codebase, the smart and dedicated yospos oss developers will take care of the rest

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

apple watch app that lets me know when the sickest burns have been dropped

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Lowtax posted:

Dont you think that if the answer was simply " HURRR UPGRADE VB" I would've done that a loooooooong time ago? I know you want to think that I ruined this entire community because I didn't want to pony up a payment of $250, but literally 70% of the code running here is custom and from scratch. I know in your world all problems would be solved by merely upgrading vB or one of many other simple and easy answers, and I know how familiar you are with the performance impact and changes each and every vB iteration released had, but for some reason, the world and situation is slightly more complex than that.

how much of that code do we really really need? would it be such a big loss if the features that dont involve paying for things get dropped? the more you can drop the more attractive upgrading to a new thing is

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

disqus

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean, discourse

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The feature that I would really want is, all of the posts. I, by and large, like the posts.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
talk to the eve goons at the very least, they've run an offsite successfully for basically a decade, complete with auth and all the trimmings

also dunno who pays for their bandwidth and servers, i assume mittens

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

are the new registration stats in the recent qcs thread accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Lowtax posted:

look, just don't

don't loving respond to the retards

• Locked thread