Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
dog parks are just basically fenced little spots of wasteland here, no tags, licences or rangers. lots of assholes but also a lot of nice ppl, depending on where you live. i guess most of the assholes just let their dogs loose anywhere they please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I think the city here has a few dog parks that you have to register and pay an annual fee to use but they're all a pain in the rear end to get to from my house plus my dogs don't really do the dog park thing anymore.

Privately owned dog parks are hit or miss and greatly depends on how much of a poo poo the land owner gives about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Do these ultrasonic bark control things work?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

My dog loves ice but he loses interest in anything fast. Freezing some small ice blocks for him. Haven't found a treat he freaks out for yet. Recommend anything to sweeten it a bit and keep him interested?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

My dog loves ice but he loses interest in anything fast. Freezing some small ice blocks for him. Haven't found a treat he freaks out for yet. Recommend anything to sweeten it a bit and keep him interested?

pumpkin puree?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Freeze broth instead of water?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Steve Yun posted:

Do these ultrasonic bark control things work?

sometimes for some dogs but a lot of the time the dog just goes WHAT THE gently caress!? and barks more

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

See if your dog likes fruit. Puree said fruit. Freeze in blocks. Voila.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
I recently started dating a lovely girl with an adorable Beagle, who has effectively become my surrogate dog.

He's two years old and all things considered, his training leaves a lot to be desired...

He's won't consistently come when called, he's impossible to let off the lead (just runs off and won't come back), and quite frequently pees/poops indoors overnight. He also pulls on the lead and stubbornly drags his heels every time he feels like sniffing something or scent marking, which makes him a pain in the rear end to walk.

What we can do about this behaviour? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? My family has always had dogs but I've never trained one from scratch!

Mouko fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 27, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mouko posted:

I recently started dating a lovely girl with an adorable Beagle, who has effectively become my surrogate dog.

He's two years old and all things considered, his training leaves a lot to be desired...

He's won't consistently come when called, he's impossible to let off the lead (just runs off and won't come back), and quite frequently pees/poops indoors overnight. He also pulls on the lead and stubbornly drags his heels every time he feels like sniffing something or scent marking, which makes him a pain in the rear end to walk.

What we can do about this behaviour? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? My family has always had dogs but I've never trained one from scratch!

Pretty much everything except for the peeing and pooping inside is typical beagle behavior. You can work on it to lessen it but you'll never get a dog bred to sniff the thing to not wander off after scents or get stuck smelling a thing on a walk.

Make sure he's had ample time to pee and/or poop before bed and that should help with the pooping inside at night thing. Sometimes some dogs have to walk around a bit to get the poops moving, so it might require a walk before bed instead of just letting him out into the yard.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Take him out every night before you go to bed and make sure you're out long enough for him to do his business. Praise him or give him treats every time he does his business outside during the day.

Oh and you need to get up immediately and take him out if he wakes you up during the night. It's hard, I've been going with around 6 hours of sleep per night for the past few months but it pays off, our puppy is now completely housebroken & can wait for around 8-10 hours between going out if he needs to.

Your gf's dog obviously not housebroken but it's a relatively easy thing to train since dogs like keep their nest clean by nature. Just get a nice routine going and you should see improvement in a few weeks.

Other than that, you just have to consistently train him every day. Reward behaviour you want to encourage, although as the poster above me said some dogs should never be let off leash in an urban enviroment.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 28, 2015

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dyna Soar posted:

Other than that, you just have to consistently train him every day. Reward behaviour you want to encourage, although as the poster above me said some dogs should never be let off leash in an urban enviroment.

For beagles, I would amend that to any environment. I knew of a guy who'd regularly lose his beagle hiking off-leash and spend hours rounding him up. One day the dog got lost for good.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

For beagles, I would amend that to any environment. I knew of a guy who'd regularly lose his beagle hiking off-leash and spend hours rounding him up. One day the dog got lost for good.

Yeah, I guess. I have no first hand experience on beagles.

Any tips on training a really nervous & frightful dog? Our rescue puppy is doing well in every other aspect except that he's really nervous when we're out. He's scared of other dogs, which I'm working on by socializing him but just now as I was taking the dogs out a little kid ran from behind a corner and startled the dogs. The puppy started barking his lungs out, tail between his legs & ears tucked back. The kid was so scared :(

I basically need to desensitize him to new situations before he gets out of control.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It turns out my mother's puppy is mostly deaf. She can hear loud, high-pitched noises so we can still get her attention with a whistle or by calling in a very high-pitched voice, but she pretty much can't hear anything else. Mum's going to get some harnesses/bandannas etc that say "I'm deaf" so people know when she's out walking her and obviously she's going to be training her with gestures now instead of futilely trying to get her to listen to voice commands, but is there anything we may not have thought of she should be aware of? Puppy is a maltese/shitzu cross and about 5 months old.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Hello we brought this little bundle of terror home last Friday

She is some kind of lab mix (you can see sad lab face when she sleeps) and we think there's probably some hound in there too, which would make her a good ol Rural Virginia Black Mutt Dog. She also has really pretty brindling that's a bit hard to see in this picture :3: Her sleeping is literally the only time it is possible to get a still picture of her. My wife and I both work full-time jobs, but thankfully my office is cool with me working remote this week to take care of Athena (and a day a week afterwards, indefinitely), and my wife's commute is a short walk to her office so she can come home once a day to let the puppy out of her crate/play area and love the poo poo out of her. She is a really good puppy whose current hobbies include:

Waking me up at 7AM for outdoor peeing, clicker training, food, taking a giant puppy dump, and running around until one of us passes out or I have to leave for work
Loving her kibble so much that we can feed her the first half of each meal during clicker time twice a day (otherwise she will vacuum her food up)
Becoming obsessed with random smells/maybe ghosts?
Killing the ever-loving poo poo out of her squeaky snake toy
Successfully tricking us a handful of times into thinking she had to pee so she could go outside and proceed to murder the closest leaf
Dry leaves of any sort

She is wonderful :3: we've had to make some changes to our schedule to make this work, but we've been back and forth on this for the last ~year, and it finally happened and it is awesome

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Monkey Fury posted:

Hello we brought this little bundle of terror home last Friday

She is some kind of lab mix (you can see sad lab face when she sleeps) and we think there's probably some hound in there too, which would make her a good ol Rural Virginia Black Mutt Dog. She also has really pretty brindling that's a bit hard to see in this picture :3: Her sleeping is literally the only time it is possible to get a still picture of her. My wife and I both work full-time jobs, but thankfully my office is cool with me working remote this week to take care of Athena (and a day a week afterwards, indefinitely), and my wife's commute is a short walk to her office so she can come home once a day to let the puppy out of her crate/play area and love the poo poo out of her. She is a really good puppy whose current hobbies include:

Waking me up at 7AM for outdoor peeing, clicker training, food, taking a giant puppy dump, and running around until one of us passes out or I have to leave for work
Loving her kibble so much that we can feed her the first half of each meal during clicker time twice a day (otherwise she will vacuum her food up)
Becoming obsessed with random smells/maybe ghosts?
Killing the ever-loving poo poo out of her squeaky snake toy
Successfully tricking us a handful of times into thinking she had to pee so she could go outside and proceed to murder the closest leaf
Dry leaves of any sort

She is wonderful :3: we've had to make some changes to our schedule to make this work, but we've been back and forth on this for the last ~year, and it finally happened and it is awesome

Naked puppy bellies :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

It turns out my mother's puppy is mostly deaf. She can hear loud, high-pitched noises so we can still get her attention with a whistle or by calling in a very high-pitched voice, but she pretty much can't hear anything else. Mum's going to get some harnesses/bandannas etc that say "I'm deaf" so people know when she's out walking her and obviously she's going to be training her with gestures now instead of futilely trying to get her to listen to voice commands, but is there anything we may not have thought of she should be aware of? Puppy is a maltese/shitzu cross and about 5 months old.

Get a collar made that says "I'm deaf" on it just in case she gets away.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Some buddies of ours have a hobby farm with a bunch of pretty nice sheep. I'm going to expose pax to them and see what happens :twisted:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Puppy destroyed two of my jackets (he took them down from a hanger in the closet, dragged them to his bed and shredded them) and an external hard drive :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Puppy destroyed two of my jackets (he took them down from a hanger in the closet, dragged them to his bed and shredded them) and an external hard drive :(

Was this while you were home or did you leave it uncrated?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Was this while you were home or did you leave it uncrated?

Was at work, we don't crate here in this part of the world. First time I even read about crating was here in this thread.

All puppies chew on poo poo, it's just what puppies do. I'll just have to leave him some ritual offerings, like empty tp rolls to chew on or something.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
gotta step up your puppy proofing game man. might wanna consider getting an ex-pen to keep him contained when you aren't home, they're a total life saver if you live in a no crate country. Putting one in the bathroom worked out really well when my dog was a puppy and made cleaning up accidents a lot less painful.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

gotta step up your puppy proofing game man. might wanna consider getting an ex-pen to keep him contained when you aren't home, they're a total life saver if you live in a no crate country. Putting one in the bathroom worked out really well when my dog was a puppy and made cleaning up accidents a lot less painful.

He's getting quite big, 11 months, 20 k's and growing. We have no place to shut him in where he could do no damage, unfortunately. I'm just going to have to keep our clothes somewhere else and really hope he won't gently caress up my futon. I'll just buy him a lot of chew toys and idk, play with him more. This is most likely something he grows out of so...

Jeez, two jackets and an external hard drive is like, 500 bucks :(

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 30, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
They make ex pens for adult dogs you know

or just let him keep destroying your stuff i guess but it's not like they magically learn to stop just because they turn 1

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

They make ex pens for adult dogs you know

Hey jackass, read what i just wrote. Or do I need to type it to you again?

Triangulum posted:

or just let him keep destroying your stuff i guess but it's not like they magically learn to stop just because they turn 1

Magic is the answer to most of lifes problems.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
hey jackass you don't need to have a room to contain them in,, it just is more convenient if you do

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

hey jackass you don't need to have a room to contain them in,, it just is more convenient if you do

I guess I do need to quote myself for you:

Dyna Soar posted:

We have no place to shut him in where he could do no damage, unfortunately.

This includes with a pen. Thank you for your advice but you can stop giving it now.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 30, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hey what ever happened to your friend's dog in Seattle which was hopefully put down?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Hey what ever happened to your friend's dog in Seattle which was hopefully put down?

She's fine, wasn't put down. The evaluation went great and based on it the SAS changed their mind and agreed to let them adopt her :)

I guess she's going through vigorous training and enjoying life.

What I don't understand is why you'd wish a dog to be put down for next to no reason

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
literally the entire point of an ex pen is to create a containment space where they can't do damage when you dont have one in your home. thats the entire reason they exist. for your exact situation

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Was at work, we don't crate here in this part of the world. First time I even read about crating was here in this thread.

All puppies chew on poo poo, it's just what puppies do. I'll just have to leave him some ritual offerings, like empty tp rolls to chew on or something.

Your puppy will one day chew on a wire which will burn your house down or get injured in some other horrific way because puppies are psychopaths. Get a crate. You can buy them and have them delivered internationally. It's piss easy.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

She's fine, wasn't put down. The evaluation went great and based on it the SAS changed their mind and agreed to let them adopt her :)

What I don't understand is why you'd wish a dog to be put down for next to no reason

oh so they at least pulled their heads out of their asses long enough to agree to training rather than just ~unstructured adventure time~? that's... something i guess

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

I am definitely the last person in the world who would go "okay euth it" at a dog with issues that may or may not be able to be fixed. I'd have euthed Jenny, dude. A fear biter that gives few warnings is not something that needs to be in a big city. I find it a huge disgusting failure that they let the dog be adopted and they will be at fault when she, eventually, bites the poo poo out of somebody's kid. They don't even muzzle her when she's off-leash in public areas. It's moronic and it's dangerous.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

literally the entire point of an ex pen is to create a containment space where they can't do damage when you dont have one in your home. thats the entire reason they exist. for your exact situation

Yeah, we can't do that unfortunately. It's not the only solution to this.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your puppy will one day chew on a wire which will burn your house down or get injured in some other horrific way because puppies are psychopaths. Get a crate. You can buy them and have them delivered internationally. It's piss easy.

We take all devices off the socket when we leave. No crating for me thanks, it's not how we keep dogs in this part of the world.

Triangulum posted:

oh so they at least pulled their heads out of their asses long enough to agree to training rather than just ~unstructured adventure time~? that's... something i guess

What are you on about?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Get a giant crate. Pax has a big pony sized crate that he potatoes out in while I'm at class

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

We take all devices off the socket when we leave. No crating for me thanks, it's not how we keep dogs in this part of the world.

That doesn't matter. And you don't seem to be able to understand. The puppy is safer in it's crate, for your sake and it's sake. Please get a crate. Thank you.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Granted, it's useless for potty training, but at least he's not a sad potato while I'm out

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Hey guys, I'm not getting a crate, period. It's not something we do here, never has been never will.

This can be fixed with training, no need for a crate or a pen (although I would def use a pen if it were an option right now).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

A dog who snaps at people walking is dangerous and should be put down. You seem to have some fantasy view of dogs and their behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
A small kennel?