Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Thunder in Paradise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsrJYZq3HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh my god, Lupa, they're loving amazing movies. I did a Bad Movie Night the other week with a bunch of my friends and we watched Thunder in Paradise and it was like a work of terrible art. If anyone's interested in watching some amazeballs bad made for TV 90's movies, definitely check out the Thunder in Paradise series and films.

Yeah, I've reviewed the movies, I just hadn't listened to the podcast ;)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Holy, does Baywatch season 3 open amazingly. Gold Prospecting! Sure, why the gently caress not, it's not like this show has any coherent theme anyway.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

e X posted:

Holy, does Baywatch season 3 open amazingly. Gold Prospecting! Sure, why the gently caress not, it's not like this show has any coherent theme anyway.

Mitch's gold prospector uncle is one of my fave Baywatch trivia facts, I love it so much.

The newest Baywatching eps btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlvYbL0Sm4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMeJJWi6buI

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

Mitch's gold prospector uncle is one of my fave Baywatch trivia facts, I love it so much.

I just had a crappy morning so I'm glad to see these. :unsmith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

That's more of a Knight Rider reference, though, unless I'm drastically missing your point. I remember watching that show, and my memories are that it was simply an high-tech boat that schlepped Our Heroes around.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miss Wallace posted:

Oh man, gotta watch those right away!

I've been rewatching some of the old BW episodes uploaded to youtube, and "There's no place for the law on the beach!" is an amazing lien that should be remembered.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Are Jellyfish really that terrible? Also, yes throwing Jellyfish, that's how it works

I will miss Eddie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
JonTron has a new StarCade out
Still isn't loving TIE Fighter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh... is the "Nostalgia" part of "Nostalgia Critic" a total artifact now? I've been sort of away from the game for a while (other than checking up on Cinema Snob every now and then) but I just had a NC review of Mad Max: Fury Road pop up in my youtube recs and it made me do a serious double-take.

e: wait, Lupa's a goon? And not on TGWTG/Channel Awesome (just to give you an idea of how long I've ignored this scene, I legit didn't know they changed their URL) anymore? Huh.

e2: hahahaha holy gently caress I'm looking back over this thread and how does anyone even put up with CA?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 30, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So uh... is the "Nostalgia" part of "Nostalgia Critic" a total artifact now? I've been sort of away from the game for a while (other than checking up on Cinema Snob every now and then) but I just had a NC review of Mad Max: Fury Road pop up in my youtube recs and it made me do a serious double-take.

e: wait, Lupa's a goon? And not on TGWTG/Channel Awesome (just to give you an idea of how long I've ignored this scene, I legit didn't know they changed their URL) anymore? Huh.

e2: hahahaha holy gently caress I'm looking back over this thread and how does anyone even put up with CA?

Youve missed a lot!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

By and large... they don't. Doubly so now-a-days since most of their remaining producers also have their own websites where they host their videos, or host their stuff on YouTube now, so you can literally bypass Channel Awesome's website entirely to access like 90% of their content.

Channel Awesome has somehow managed to obtain a perfect equilibrium of being constantly in the process of falling apart, yet never actually fully disintegrating, thus creating a a perpetual feedback loop of drama, bullshit, panic, and hilarity. Or, as we know it around these parts: Tuesday.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

By and large... they don't. Doubly so now-a-days since most of their remaining producers also have their own websites where they host their videos, or host their stuff on YouTube now, so you can literally bypass Channel Awesome's website entirely to access like 90% of their content.

Channel Awesome has somehow managed to obtain a perfect equilibrium of being constantly in the process of falling apart, yet never actually fully disintegrating, thus creating a a perpetual feedback loop of drama, bullshit, panic, and hilarity. Or, as we know it around these parts: Tuesday.

Also known as the Games Workshop Effect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Games Workshop... has anybody ever reviewed that Ultramarines movie they made a couple years back? I remember it for two reasons. One: really good voice acting from Sean Pertwee, Terrence Stamp and John Hurt, and two: it looks loving horrendous in motion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Except now you gotta go to the Channel Awesome website to get the Cinema Snob'S latest video: Xanadu.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hey, he did just review Thank You for Smoking, which I completely forgot is ten years old now. That's technically nostalgia. For the record, he believes it's one of the most shocking films ever made, and he's shocked you aren't shocked by it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Hey, he did just review Thank You for Smoking, which I completely forgot is ten years old now. That's technically nostalgia. For the record, he believes it's one of the most shocking films ever made, and he's shocked you aren't shocked by it.

It's not a shocking movie, more of a satire.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So uh... is the "Nostalgia" part of "Nostalgia Critic" a total artifact now?

Yeah, he explicitly dropped that "rule" for his review targets after he ended Demo Reel and relaunched NC.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except now you gotta go to the Channel Awesome website to get the Cinema Snob'S latest video: Xanadu.

Or just go to cinemasnob.com NM it makes you go to CA anyway.

CA is a garbage website and isnt designed very well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Idran posted:

Yeah, he explicitly dropped that "rule" for his review targets after he ended Demo Reel and relaunched NC.

Doug just needed a rest you see, it wasn't because Demo Reel bombed.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

PassTheRemote posted:

It's also really good!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm not entirely sure Doug understands that. He opens the video with "WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A MOVIE... THAT SAID SMOKING WAS AWESOME!?" Like he can't understand why no one took it literally.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It's almost like the movie realizes that it doesn't need to tell its audience that smoking is bad and by applying the same rhetoric about the main character that he applies to smoking it adds a nice extra layer to itself.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really liked Thank You for Smoking when I watched it a few years ago and need to rewatch it.

EDIT: oh my god, this video is framed like one of those clickbait links you see on random websites

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 30, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I'm rushing to the finish on my Animorphs series, just posted the review of #48 The Return (Part One, Part Two), in which David returns as a Captain Planet villain.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

watho posted:

It's also really good!

Yes, it is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

poparena posted:

I'm rushing to the finish on my Animorphs series, just posted the review of #48 The Return (Part One, Part Two), in which David returns as a Captain Planet villain.

Man, looking up Animorph's conclusion was one of the first things I did on the Internet. The series still holds up incredibly well I think, especially for a children's series, but man, does it have a bunch of duds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

And Alien: Isolation. How anyone found that remotely tense or interesting is beyond me.

Edit: why/where did my phone invent 'Isloation' from

Actually, they were wrong about Alien Isolation.

And it's not that hard to figure out. You want to complete the mission to move on, but a thing is in your way. You want to avoid the thing so you finish the mission. There's your tension. Also, don't expect an action game based off a slow burning horror movie.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I'm not entirely sure Doug understands that. He opens the video with "WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A MOVIE... THAT SAID SMOKING WAS AWESOME!?" Like he can't understand why no one took it literally.

I need to watch Thank You for Smoking sometime soon. But I'm not going to watch that review because I'm sure it'll be an absolutely terrible take on it.
I..think Doug needs his gimmick (by gimmick I mean "reviewing nostalgic movies", not "waving a gun and screaming".) He's not a balanced enough critic to not have one.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

poparena posted:

I was always kinda sad the Crayak story just kinda fizzled out after this one. Still enjoyed this book though.

Still sore about the dumb cliffhanger ending to the final book after all these years though. I understand why she did it, but I still get annoyed by it, especially with the new antagonist she introduced right at the end being so drat interesting based off what little we saw of it.

Out of curiosity will you also be covering her other series like Remnants or Everworld?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Asuron posted:

Out of curiosity will you also be covering her other series like Remnants or Everworld?

Yeah I'd be really interested in reviews of those. I've never read them and finding copies would be too much of an undertaking, so that would be really neat.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speaking of Games Workshop... has anybody ever reviewed that Ultramarines movie they made a couple years back? I remember it for two reasons. One: really good voice acting from Sean Pertwee, Terrence Stamp and John Hurt, and two: it looks loving horrendous in motion.
I remember a lot of walking in a desert. The Gerry references practically write themselves.

Hagan did a short out of character vid about it when it came out. It seems like something MikeJ would cover, if he cares about 40K at all.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

I totally will, you can look forward to the first Everworld review this December. Remnants after that, and then, like forty years down the line, I'll take on Michael Grant's Gone series.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Asuron posted:

Still sore about the dumb cliffhanger ending to the final book after all these years though.

That series really should have ended with them trying to readjust to civilian life (that section of the last book is great) instead of ... and then they all said "gently caress this depressing poo poo" and hosed off into space and had fun space adventures and then suddenly space Satan and maybe they all die.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 30, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

That series really should have ended with them trying to readjust to civilian life (that section of the last book is great) instead of ... and then they all said "gently caress this depressing poo poo" and hosed off into space and had fun space adventures and then suddenly space Satan and maybe they all die.

I'll express this in greater detail in the actual video, but the best point to end the series would have been Jake crying on the beach with Marco and Cassie.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

Agreed. At least we didn't have to deal with Cassie for most of the book and they even leave her behind for the big space adventure. Seriously the peak of her character was in the David arc and maybe in the book where she convinces the Animorphs to use kids with disabilities in their army, because they actually have her compromise her morals out of necessity to deal with growing problems and I liked how Rachel grew to resent her for never taking responsibility in making those decisions, like trapping David as a rat and forcing Rachel to be responsible for it.

Every other book, it's painted as a good thing that she never compromises her morals, making everything infinitely more difficult for everyone else and making them suffer internally because they're required to do what she won't. Even giving the morphing cube to the Yeerks eventually got painted as a good decision, because she somehow knew everything would work out all along so therefore all is forgiven.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Animorphs was the series I'd always look at on the shelf at the bookshop and think about when I was younger, before I shrugged and picked up the Star Wars equivalent (the Jedi Apprentice series, mostly by Jude Watson and Dave Wolverton, which were better than they needed to be).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is Everworld the one where they end up in a world with all the old gods?

Also, unfortunately, Cassie is a very typical case for American media when it comes to pacifist, or even just environmentalist characters. A lot of people don't really understand the philosophies behind it and so the character almost always end up as some kind of judgmental hypocrite. As if they feel they needed someone to represent that specific group, but than didn't make the effort to actually do any research to make a compelling character out of it.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 30, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Everworld had the biggest cop out ending ever.

It's like if Star Wars ended with Jabba dying, and everyone just acts like Han Solo being free from worrying about bounty hunters was the central goal of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, they were wrong about Alien Isolation.

And it's not that hard to figure out. You want to complete the mission to move on, but a thing is in your way. You want to avoid the thing so you finish the mission. There's your tension. Also, don't expect an action game based off a slow burning horror movie.

No, they were pretty well spot on about Alien Isolation, but I can see where people would really like it in comparison with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

• Locked thread