Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megathrust
Jul 13, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Look man, Krem is badass enough to just suddenly sprout horns, okay? It could happen. He's gonna wake up one day to a beautiful set of ram horns. And then he's gonna headbutt somebody. It'll be great.

I half-wish Solas would sprout hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Clearly the solution is to suck it up and Ride the Bull™.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I bought this game when it came out for the PS4. I played for about a week here and there, but just couldn't get into it. The only RPG I had ever played before was FF7, but that seems to be the RPG anyone can get in to.

I picked it back up a few weeks ago and, holy poo poo, suddenly everything just clicked for me. I've been putting in several hours a day, sometimes up to 9 or 10. I've gotten so far as to have yesterday completed the quest where you go to the fancy ball in Orlais and someone is plotting to kill the Duchess. My Inquisitor is a mage (I wish I had chosen differently) and yesterday before the ball mission he went to talk to Bull and suddenly Bull was in his room asking if he wanted to ride the bull. Since then I got a dragon necklace that I guess means we're married or something. I'm ok with that. Dorian was a bit too flashy for my tastes, anyway.

Now I'm just going around and cleaning up areas that I didn't complete (and I don't mean the side missions like shoving love letters in a tree or whatever). However, I can't really understand crafting. Any good links for helping me understand it? I have just been making the most powerful weapons in my schematics but that has left my mage with like half the attack power as the rest of my party, and I can't figure out how I gave Varric and Cassandra their special abilities. I must have done it since they came before I gave up on the game, but now Bull doesn't have any special powers and I don't know how to give him any.

Also, is there any good reason no change up my party? I go everywhere with Iron Bull because I guess he's my husband and then Cassandra because they're the best fighters, plus Varric to open doors.

One more thing: like I said earlier, the only RPG I played before was FF7. Are they all this massive these days? I can't think of any other game of any type that I've played for so many hours but still had stuff to do, short of maybe GTA V.

Thanks for the help!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was wondering if I'm going to have to start a...12th? character where I romance Bull but also let the Chargers die just to see what unfolds.

megathrust
Jul 13, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Clearly the solution is to suck it up and Ride the Bull™.

Tempting- and that was the initial plan... but then I'd break poor Dorian's heart. Gonna see where this Solas thing goes with my elven inquisitor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CuwiKhons posted:

Look man, Krem is badass enough to just suddenly sprout horns, okay? It could happen. He's gonna wake up one day to a beautiful set of ram horns. And then he's gonna headbutt somebody. It'll be great.

Exactly.

Honestly, I can't believe I never noticed they were dead Qunari dead at his feet.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I was into base-game Inquisition, but Trespasser hooked me and now I'm dreading having to wait like 2-3 years for the next game.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lotish posted:

I was wondering if I'm going to have to start a...12th? character where I romance Bull but also let the Chargers die just to see what unfolds.

I haven't seen a Trespasser cut scene that deals with this and I want to.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Dienes posted:

I haven't seen a Trespasser cut scene that deals with this and I want to.

It's not very different. You get a different dialogue choice, and a slide in the epilogue where your reputation suffers because you've been sleeping with the enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBITHZjbOxk

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remain unimpressed by the female American accent: The cursing wasn't bad, but the sad option was :effort:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, there is a vault, with Scrooge McDuck's hat in it down in the bowels of Skyhold.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That actually gets added when you take Josephine's 15% discount/sale increase perk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lotish posted:

That actually gets added when you take Josephine's 15% discount/sale increase perk.

No wonder i never saw it before. I was looking for the place where the bottle were kept because I have all but 3 left to find, and stumbled across it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

I bought this game when it came out for the PS4. I played for about a week here and there, but just couldn't get into it. The only RPG I had ever played before was FF7, but that seems to be the RPG anyone can get in to.

I picked it back up a few weeks ago and, holy poo poo, suddenly everything just clicked for me. I've been putting in several hours a day, sometimes up to 9 or 10. I've gotten so far as to have yesterday completed the quest where you go to the fancy ball in Orlais and someone is plotting to kill the Duchess. My Inquisitor is a mage (I wish I had chosen differently) and yesterday before the ball mission he went to talk to Bull and suddenly Bull was in his room asking if he wanted to ride the bull. Since then I got a dragon necklace that I guess means we're married or something. I'm ok with that. Dorian was a bit too flashy for my tastes, anyway.

Now I'm just going around and cleaning up areas that I didn't complete (and I don't mean the side missions like shoving love letters in a tree or whatever). However, I can't really understand crafting. Any good links for helping me understand it? I have just been making the most powerful weapons in my schematics but that has left my mage with like half the attack power as the rest of my party, and I can't figure out how I gave Varric and Cassandra their special abilities. I must have done it since they came before I gave up on the game, but now Bull doesn't have any special powers and I don't know how to give him any.

Also, is there any good reason no change up my party? I go everywhere with Iron Bull because I guess he's my husband and then Cassandra because they're the best fighters, plus Varric to open doors.

One more thing: like I said earlier, the only RPG I played before was FF7. Are they all this massive these days? I can't think of any other game of any type that I've played for so many hours but still had stuff to do, short of maybe GTA V.

Thanks for the help!
Crafting can be a bit weird. Staves don't do a whole lot of damage compared to other weapons, you'll top out at a bit over 200 using the best materials/schematics/runes. That's just how it goes, bows are the same way. Highest DPS weapons in the game are daggers (you can get one from Descent DLC that ends up doing over 500 made properly). There are also tricks to crafting - using certain materials you can bypass class restrictions. This is Dales Loden Wool for light, Snofleur hide for medium, and Silverite for heavy. Emprise du Lion is lousy with silverite, so go grab a bunch and make you some good armor. Also accessories can make your armor way better, as do masterworks. Find some guard on hit stuff and your mage will instantly be 100% less squishy. You can also find some materials that do crazy poo poo and if everyone in your party has something different things can get downright nuts in a good way.

Your squadmates get their specializations after the first time you take them out after arriving at Skyhold. Bull should have his specialization if he's been in your party. Also if you have a group you like to run with there's nothing wrong with that, but companions have banter with each other and by taking the same people along all the time you're missing out on some of the best dialogue in the game. Some crazy person did a youtube video with all of it and it's 5 hours long. If you switch out even just one person you'll start getting new chatter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dragon Mats are by far the best I've found.

Shouldn't you be able to visit people you judge in the prison?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, considering what happens in The Descent, will we be able to play dwarf mages in DA4?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Torrannor posted:

So, considering what happens in The Descent, will we be able to play dwarf mages in DA4?

I dunno if the PC will be able to be a mage, but Valta might show up as a party member

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Torrannor posted:

I wouldn't bet on it for DA4, but maybe there will be some big upheavals and you'll be able to play a dwarf mage in DA5.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just want magic to be powerful again. Remember spell combos? I miss calling down flaming tornadoes.

Another pipe dream I have is for mages to be a bit more specialized in the mythos. In DA:I we had a Circle enchanter, a Tevinter altus, and an elven apostate and they all kinda used spells the exact same way, despite banter suggesting otherwise. It'd be interesting to see different kinds of mages instead of the usual robed staff-wielding archetypes. Ironically, the Venatori mages we fight are probably the most "unique" mages of the franchise so far.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BrianWilly posted:

I just want magic to be powerful again. Remember spell combos? I miss calling down flaming tornadoes.

Another pipe dream I have is for mages to be a bit more specialized in the mythos. In DA:I we had a Circle enchanter, a Tevinter altus, and an elven apostate and they all kinda used spells the exact same way, despite banter suggesting otherwise. It'd be interesting to see different kinds of mages instead of the usual robed staff-wielding archetypes. Ironically, the Venatori mages we fight are probably the most "unique" mages of the franchise so far.

I want mages to get a second weapon type to match everyone else. Like those spellbooks seen on Venatori. Staffs can be used more like melee weapons, possibly giving little bits of barrier with each hit, while the books work better for long range fights. Both absolutely need to give more damage as well.

I also want to expand the spell list so we aren't limited to the boring old fire/ice/lightning trio like we were here.

Outside of specialization abilities, the mages in this game were really underwhelming.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

Dragon Mats are by far the best I've found.

Shouldn't you be able to visit people you judge in the prison?
You can, but they don't talk to you. However, if you have multiple people in jail they'll talk to each other.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think they ever discounted any of the ME DLC, i doubt you'll see that happen for DAI. I figure its because they want people to buy the GOTY edition.

They've already put the DLC on sale. I saw Jaws for like 50% off a while back. You might want to check around Thanksgiving.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

SubponticatePoster posted:

You can, but they don't talk to you. However, if you have multiple people in jail they'll talk to each other.

I've just been executing/exiling everyone. Is there any reason not to?

There are also tricks to crafting - using certain materials you can bypass class restrictions. This is Dales Loden Wool for light, Snofleur hide for medium, and Silverite for heavy.

Wow, thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. When you say you can bypass class restrictions, does that mean that I could have a "warrior only" armor that fits my mage? Because that would be super helpful. My best mage armor so far is like 129, but my best warrior armor so far is around 260. Since I need the mage to close the rift and he's the only one dying, it gets troublesome to have to run over and revive him so often.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

criscodisco posted:

Its more fun to make them tranquil.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I recruited everyone to make wartable missions faster and add more wartable missions regarding them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, I like the Venatori mage that has the flaming backslide move for one, even though I hate fighting them, because it's a different tact, and the spellbinders are cool with the floating book that they pull spells out of. Having a different weapon type and skills that accentuate it to differentiate your classes would go a long way--there's a big difference between dagger and bow rogues, obviously. A standard staff mage (bring back the clubbing/cutting animations from DA2 for when they want to scrap up close) and a book mage could control completely differently if you let it--staff might be more ranged single target specialized while the book does big sweeps, similar to the elemental sword you can get in Trespasser, or the staff is focused on DPS while the book lays traps, creates walls, or abjures teammates (though maybe with something besides just barrier all the time like the Spirit tree).

It would also be cool if there was an option for minor mages. One of the things you see in DA:I is mages commenting on not being powerful enough to use real spells. There's a quest in Jaws of Hakkon about just such a guy--he has magic, but not enough to be a mage, so he fights. A class that uses magic in less overt ways while still being "magic" might be nice. Not going to happen because they're married to the holy trinity of warrior, rogue and mage, but I'd like it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

Some of the things you can do are really goddamn funny, or you can get agents out of it.

quote:

Wow, thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. When you say you can bypass class restrictions, does that mean that I could have a "warrior only" armor that fits my mage? Because that would be super helpful. My best mage armor so far is like 129, but my best warrior armor so far is around 260. Since I need the mage to close the rift and he's the only one dying, it gets troublesome to have to run over and revive him so often.
That's exactly right. It doesn't work on race restrictions (you can't put dwarf-only armor on a human) but you can kit your mage out in the heaviest poo poo imaginable if you make it with silverite. Also silverite is a high-tier material, so it ends up being just a couple points lower than dragon mats and the amount is unlimited, unlike dragon stuff (until Trespasser, anyway).

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Dienes posted:

Its more fun to make them tranquil.

Is that really an option? I haven't judged any mages yet, just the box of dead woman, the mayor who drowned his town, the guy who was throwing goats at Skyhold and the Duke who was trying to kill his sister. Someone else, too, I think, but I can't remember. I vaguely remember it being a woman who didn't do anything major, and I sentenced her to work at Skyhold as a secretary or something.

I only last night found the jail in Skyhold, I want to judge someone again so I can put them in it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

criscodisco posted:

Is that really an option?

Only if you are a mage yourself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Some of the things you can do are really goddamn funny, or you can get agents out of it.

That's exactly right. It doesn't work on race restrictions (you can't put dwarf-only armor on a human) but you can kit your mage out in the heaviest poo poo imaginable if you make it with silverite. Also silverite is a high-tier material, so it ends up being just a couple points lower than dragon mats and the amount is unlimited, unlike dragon stuff (until Trespasser, anyway).

I've been thinking of putting my warrior in utility slot mage gear to see how well stacking Willpower works with damage output and magic resistance versus similar warrior gear, but I can attest that making +Cunning rogue armor for a warrior to stack ranged defense and crit chance works phenomenally.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lotish posted:

It would also be cool if there was an option for minor mages. One of the things you see in DA:I is mages commenting on not being powerful enough to use real spells. There's a quest in Jaws of Hakkon about just such a guy--he has magic, but not enough to be a mage, so he fights. A class that uses magic in less overt ways while still being "magic" might be nice. Not going to happen because they're married to the holy trinity of warrior, rogue and mage, but I'd like it.
I figured that's what the Tempest basically is, though. Using potions to accentuate magic that isn't actually magic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dunno. Alchemy in Dragon Age has obviously magical effects but no one seems to consider it ~magic~; at least that's what I glean from comments like Bull's when he describes the fog used by the Fog Warriors in Seheron.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Whoever told me to use Litany of Adralla when playing DA2--thanks. I can't imagine playing it normally, the combat was so loving boring.

I liked the companion NPCs quite a bit, but the main story was rubbish. Playing it as Sarcastic Hawke in It's Always Sunny in Kirkwall was indeed the best. Varric, Isabela and Aveline were the best party.

Gonna take a break and then jump into Inquisition. Why exactly do people say "skip the hinterlands", is it just boring or tedious or what?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Whoever told me to use Litany of Adralla when playing DA2--thanks. I can't imagine playing it normally, the combat was so loving boring.

I liked the companion NPCs quite a bit, but the main story was rubbish. Playing it as Sarcastic Hawke in It's Always Sunny in Kirkwall was indeed the best. Varric, Isabela and Aveline were the best party.

Gonna take a break and then jump into Inquisition. Why exactly do people say "skip the hinterlands", is it just boring or tedious or what?

Eh, just do the quests that sound interesting in each zone. The Hinterlands is way too big. Most other zones are smaller and have their own smaller quests associated with them. Like the Fallow Mire: Some Inquisition soldiers have been kidnapped by a local barbarian tribe that is normally peaceful. Or the Exalted Plain: the ceasefire between the sides in the Orlesian civil war is threatened by deserters and the undead. Crestwood: unlock the secret of what happened in this town during the last Blight.

Generally just do those main questlines in each area and get the hell out before you find yourself doing collect-a-thon quests trying to path up lovely rock formations or pinging around a purple location for 10 minutes to find some letter. So, do the quests in the Hinterlands that are interesting and then leave.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Vengarr posted:

Hinterlands is big, takes an hour or two to cross, is filled with sidequests and nothing else, and when you finally get the horse it doesn't do jackshit to increase your walking speed.

Tedious and boring.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

HIJK posted:

Hinterlands is big, takes an hour or two to cross, is filled with sidequests and nothing else, and when you finally get the horse it doesn't do jackshit to increase your walking speed.

Tedious and boring.

The horse farmers daughter has a horse race she wants you to run, and the game keeps reminding me of that fact. Unfortunately, the first time I tried it I got lost halfway through and bailed, and now no matter how many times I reload the Hinterlands, the horse is gone. I've gone looking around the surrounding woods for it but can't find it anywhere. I fear it's been eaten by a bear so I've been avoiding her like the plague.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
mounts in general were badly implemented in this game. not appreciably faster than walking, no difference between them other than appearance, and they eliminate banter (a part of the game most people like a lot).

Plus I was all ready to roll a horse archer and you can't even do that :(

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Vengarr posted:

I definitely can be if you don't realize you're not supposed to do it all in one go. You could easily spend 12-16 hours there doing all the fetch quests, finding landmarks etc... and you'll hate it after that. My nephew did it that way, and put the game down and could never bring himself to pick it back up.

But it's not bad if you level up a bit, then go get the other companions and hop back and forth a bit between there and the storm coast, get some loot, do some crafting, make the first big story mission choice, and then go back and clean things up later on. I would never try to 100 percent that place, though.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Big Bidness posted:

I definitely can be if you don't realize you're not supposed to do it all in one go. You could easily spend 12-16 hours there doing all the fetch quests, finding landmarks etc... and you'll hate it after that. My nephew did it that way, and put the game down and could never bring himself to pick it back up.

But it's not bad if you level up a bit, then go get the other companions and hop back and forth a bit between there and the storm coast, get some loot, do some crafting, make the first big story mission choice, and then go back and clean things up later on. I would never try to 100 percent that place, though.

I think that was why I put the game down initially, as well. I knew I could leave, and went to Storm Coast and Fallow Mire, but I wasn't leveled up enough to handle the rifts in Fallow Mire or the boss fight in the Storm Coast, so I kept going back to Hinterlands where all I did was wander around grabbing elfroot and getting my rear end kicked by the dragon with all the babies.

In fact, it wasn't until I picked the game back up and got really into it that I realized that killing a dragon was even a possibility. I thought they were just natural barriers to keep you from going in certain areas, and the only one I had found was the easy one in the Hinterlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I like the Venatori mage that has the flaming backslide move for one, even though I hate fighting them, because it's a different tact, and the spellbinders are cool with the floating book that they pull spells out of. Having a different weapon type and skills that accentuate it to differentiate your classes would go a long way--there's a big difference between dagger and bow rogues, obviously. A standard staff mage (bring back the clubbing/cutting animations from DA2 for when they want to scrap up close) and a book mage could control completely differently if you let it--staff might be more ranged single target specialized while the book does big sweeps, similar to the elemental sword you can get in Trespasser, or the staff is focused on DPS while the book lays traps, creates walls, or abjures teammates (though maybe with something besides just barrier all the time like the Spirit tree).

In another game, you could make a cool melee mage, who's trained as a fighter because his magic is so weak. Suppose he can only use magic through touch, and he could do cool things like electrocuting enemies when his metal sword touches their (metal) weapons.

• Locked thread