Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I re-watched Krull and it made me want to find some similar films. Fantasy is optional, but what I'm looking for is a sort of silly or "B" concept that's technically polished and presented very confidently.

The Salton Sea. I bet you didn't even know that you wanted to see the last remnants of skinny Val Kilmer rocking a faux-hawk but you do now amirite.

e: actually Angel Heart is a perfect example too. Both of these are neo-noir rather than fantasy.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I re-watched Krull and it made me want to find some similar films. Fantasy is optional, but what I'm looking for is a sort of silly or "B" concept that's technically polished and presented very confidently.

Brotherhood of the Wolf. Such a fun movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Origami Dali posted:

What are some really good modern murder mystery movies? I'm thinking Zodiac, procedural case-solving type stuff. I recently saw A Walk Among the Tombstones and it was passable and sparked the interest. Not looking for comedy stuff or snappy noir, so more Se7en and less Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Again, not a murder, but Gone Baby, Gone was excellent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Speaking of Krull, I'm looking for more big-budget Fantasy films that are hopefully not complete garbage.

I've seen LOTR, The Hobbit, (Ralph Bakshi version too), Legend, Willow, Krull, Conan, The Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Harry Potter, Narnia, Stardust, Everything by Studio Ghibli, Neverending story...

Older films from 60s to 90s will probably be more satisfying although films from 90s to now are probably more likely to have good CG or bigger budgets. But anything with really epic fantasy scale.

Big budget Sci-fi that isn't Star Wars, Star Trek or Dune (or other equally famous series) would also be pretty cool.

Basically, recommend me some fantasy or sci-fi obscure gems.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I feel silly even asking, but you've seen The Princess Bride, right? it's not really obscure -- there's no way it should be left out of a list that contains Willow and Labyrinth -- and yet here we are.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I feel silly even asking, but you've seen The Princess Bride, right? it's not really obscure -- there's no way it should be left out of a list that contains Willow and Labyrinth -- and yet here we are.

Yeah, its an all time favorite. The only reason I didn't include it was because I almost consider it more of a comedy or a parody of fantasy than straight fantasy, and also because an exhaustive fantasy list could go on and on.

I've probably seen all the major films already but I'm hoping there's some cool stuff out there, especially older films, that I've overlooked. I hadn't seen Krull in years and I recently rediscovered that film so I'm hoping there's some others like it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Magic Sword (1962) isn't something I would ever defend as a good movie but I remember it being endearingly goofy. It's no Legend, but it's in that general ball park, and it has Basil Rathbone which is at least something of an elevating factor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Magic Sword (1962) isn't something I would ever defend as a good movie but I remember it being endearingly goofy. It's no Legend, but it's in that general ball park, and it has Basil Rathbone which is at least something of an elevating factor.

Yeah that's the kind of thing I'm looking for, I'll check it out. I also just came across The Beastmaster while googling around which while cheesy I haven't seen in years.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is a classic, mostly because of the special effects work done by Harryhausen. From the same time period, you also have the original Clash of the Titans and the imho underrated Dragonslayer.

If you're looking for something a bit more contemporary, Aronofsky's Noah is really good, and Avatar has its moments.

As for animated films, Disney's The Black Cauldron isn't exactly great, but it has enough interesting elements to warrant a watch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Masters of the Universe! I think it may be on Netflix now, and it's surprisingly influenced by Jack Kirby.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
The Last Starfighter, Innerspace, anything by Terry Gilliam that you haven't seen yet

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Star Knight might be questionable, but it is certainly overlooked and might scratch that itch.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=G-f14s8iJ3o

Hundra is an Italian lady Conan with a score by Morricone.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FBsPua0OfbU

On reflection, I realize these probably aren't really the types of productions you're looking for.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 28, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Examples of movies with the plot device of, there's a spy or undercover cop and only his direct supervisor knows he's actually one of the good guys, and the supervisor gets killed?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Examples of movies with the plot device of, there's a spy or undercover cop and only his direct supervisor knows he's actually one of the good guys, and the supervisor gets killed?

Can anyone recommend some revenge movies set in the South? Kind of along the themes of Blue Ruin or (even though it's not revenge per say) the show Justified?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its an all time favorite. The only reason I didn't include it was because I almost consider it more of a comedy or a parody of fantasy than straight fantasy, and also because an exhaustive fantasy list could go on and on.

I've probably seen all the major films already but I'm hoping there's some cool stuff out there, especially older films, that I've overlooked. I hadn't seen Krull in years and I recently rediscovered that film so I'm hoping there's some others like it.

Conquest (1982), directed by Lucio Fulci.

It's raaaaaad.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend some revenge movies set in the South? Kind of along the themes of Blue Ruin or (even though it's not revenge per say) the show Justified?

Shotgun Stories is a definite, things that take a revenge turn I would think Sling Blade and White Lightnin', if we're counting protagonists as revenge victims then Cape Fear (ideally the original from '61, but do as you will) and Southern Comfort, and if general Southern Gothic score-settling counts then Deliverance, Joe (2013), and Winter's Bone. Deliverance and Southern Comfort are more redneck-panic type films but that's not unrelated thematically what with the spiral of violence and all.

regulargonzalez posted:

Is this that much of a thing? Obviously there's The Departed and I think the same plot point was present in the original Infernal Affairs, but maybe those are what you started with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For the spy thing, uh, Face/Off?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

The comic book series Sleeper is EXACTLY this. It's one of my all-time favorites, and I can't recommend it highly enough to you, even if you aren't a comics reader. It has been collected in its entirety several times: two large trade paperbacks, four shorter ones, or one beautiful hardcover omnibus edition.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sleeper owns and Brubaker is one of my favorite low key crime writers.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Kvlt! posted:

Cold in July stars Don Johnson, Sam Shepard, and Michael C. Hall. A dude breaks into Hall's house, Hall kills him, and Sam Shepard is the dude's ex-con father who wants to take revenge. I won't spoil it but the plot goes from there and it's only sort of revengy but it's set in Texas and has one of those retro synthy scores and it's pretty pulpy and overall I'd say it's a fun watch.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe The Last Unicorn? Kinda major but also not Princess Bride levels.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kvlt! posted:

Mud.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

More Bollywood than you're probably looking for, but that happens in the 1978 Don with Amitabh Bachchan. (The Shah Rukh Khan version changes up the story and I don't remember if that particular plot point still happens or not.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don loving rules. Of all the Bollywood movies I've seen, it's definitely the one I've enjoyed the most.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 1, 2015

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

La Haine is a fine \french film. A fine French film indeed.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't know what this is in reference to, but I agree.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

I'm trying to find as many movies as possible that pertain to/are about killing your father (patricide) from any genre of movies.
Any help ?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Gladiator
Star Wars V & VI
Red River

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

ElectricBlizzard posted:

I'm trying to find as many movies as possible that pertain to/are about killing your father (patricide) from any genre of movies.
Any help ?

12 Angry Men

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Any help ?

Look for anything which copies Hamlet. Lion King, Sons of Anarchy, Hamlet (2000), etc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Any help ?

Natural Born Killers, whatshername kills her dad with the help of Woody Harrelson
Blade Runner

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zaphod42 posted:

Look for anything which copies Hamlet. Lion King, Sons of Anarchy, Hamlet (2000), etc.

There's no patricide in Hamlet. Hamlet's uncle kills his dad.

There are a few adaptations of Oedipus Rex however, which would definitely fit what he's looking for though

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hamlet's uncle does marry Hamlet's mother, so it ends up being patricide after all. They didn't include that in The Lion King, though.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Any help ?

Hwayi: A Monster Boy

edit: Since you said any genre, also Star of David: Beauty Hunting. I only half-watched that but I'm pretty sure there was some patricide in between all the rape.

The Horse in Tears fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 5, 2015

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Any help ?

Eve's Bayou, Ran, arguably Monster's Ball, depending on how far you want to stretch father you could hit Near Dark (though I could also be remembering who "birthed" who incorrectly).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh wow, haven't thought about Eve's Bayou in a super long time.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh wow, haven't thought about Eve's Bayou in a super long time.

Black Nativity is godawful but Kasi Lemmons is extremely my thing. Eve's Bayou, The Caveman's Valentine, and Talk to Me are all unique in a way which I still have a hard time putting a finger on (especially Caveman's Valentine, which is prob my favorite).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I loved the first two but have never seen the third, but I'm taking that as an enthusiastic recommendation to see Talk To Me.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I loved the first two but have never seen the third, but I'm taking that as an enthusiastic recommendation to see Talk To Me.

Yes please. It was when I really became a fan of Taraji P. Henson (though I loved her in Hustle and Flow), and while it's got some boilerplate biopic tics to work out Lemmons does a nice bait-and-switch on the confidence and swagger parts you'd expect out of the lead. There's this great shifting social terrain poolhall scene with Cheadle and Ejiofor that's stuck with me hard even though I've only watched it the one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Any help ?

Himizu. If you wanna go metaphorically, The Truman Show

• Locked thread