Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

We saw the neurologist last night, nothing special, it was just they want to keep extra tabs on premature babies and one of the checkups is after they turn 2 and they test their development. Doctor thought they should speak more words at this age and perhaps be more advanced in their play (though it varies), but they're still not caught up I think. And they're learning two languages.

In 6 months we're having another checkup and if they weren't speaking by then he would recommend a speech therapist. Seems a bit excessive, my nephews didn't speak a lot until they where 3, I think these guys are going to hit a milestone soon though, been noticing changes, they say the same in daycare.

Sleep though was an issue and I mentioned this before. now the doctor also thinks they need to sleep more. So now we're just going to have to start forcing them to bed earlier, I figured they knew when they where tired and let them stay up. And we hadn't wanted an hour long battle every night, but we're gonna have to try and get them to bed earlier, a little at a time. We actually got them to bed at 21:00 last night so they slept 10 hours straight.

9?! I get cranky if my two aren't in bed by 7PM. Gives me a slight opportunity to have an evening before I need to go to bed for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Toddlers don't know when they're tired, they're dumb crazy psychopaths, every one. You gotta tell them when they're tired.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

His Divine Shadow posted:

We saw the neurologist last night, nothing special, it was just they want to keep extra tabs on premature babies and one of the checkups is after they turn 2 and they test their development. Doctor thought they should speak more words at this age and perhaps be more advanced in their play (though it varies), but they're still not caught up I think. And they're learning two languages.

In 6 months we're having another checkup and if they weren't speaking by then he would recommend a speech therapist. Seems a bit excessive, my nephews didn't speak a lot until they where 3, I think these guys are going to hit a milestone soon though, been noticing changes, they say the same in daycare.

Some children are late bloomers, but some have developmental problems. The former fixes itself while the latter requires intervention, so there's no reason not to be cautious and investigate just in case. Everything is probably fine, this is for if it's not.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

greatn posted:

Toddlers don't know when they're tired, they're dumb crazy psychopaths, every one. You gotta tell them when they're tired.

My 18 month old will be babbling and talking and just being hyperactive and not acting tired until we lay him in his crib and he usually passes right out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gothmog1065 posted:

My 18 month old will be babbling and talking and just being hyperactive and not acting tired until we lay him in his crib and he usually passes right out.

This is exactly what Nora does. She'll be hyperactive and playing non-stop, but clearly being fussy too. You take her back to her crib and it's almost like she says (with her body) "OH THANK GOD!" and she just rolls over, sticks her butt in the air and passes smooth out before I can even get out of her room.

However we have had a breakthrough the past couple of weeks. We can say "are you tired? Ready to go to sleep/nap/bedtime?" And if she's tired she'll pick up her blanket and walk to the hallway door which means she's ready to go to bed.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

greatn posted:

Yeah, this. You wouldn't let your kids live off chocolate if they wanted to, because you figured they knew best what their bodies wanted. It's the same with sleep, you've got to be the adult. 21 seems crazy late, unless their entire schedule is moved around accordingly and you all get up at 10 every day.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
At any rate we're moving their sleep schedule back (or is it forward?), they do take naps in the day too. Doctor said 20:30 latest. so we'll aim for 20:00.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our oldest is nearly 4, and he has always hated sleeping and bedtime. I put him to bed by 9 pm every night, but he fights and screams and carries on until about 10 pm before passing out. I don't like the fight, but if we let him stay up he would and I don't think it's healthy for him. Our youngest goes to sleep quietly and without much hassle at about 8:30.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

sullat posted:

Our oldest is nearly 4, and he has always hated sleeping and bedtime. I put him to bed by 9 pm every night, but he fights and screams and carries on until about 10 pm before passing out. I don't like the fight, but if we let him stay up he would and I don't think it's healthy for him. Our youngest goes to sleep quietly and without much hassle at about 8:30.

We found that putting our son to bed earlier actually made bedtime easier on him. We have a 30-40 min routine before bedtime to unwind him and that gets him prepped. If he's overtired he will resist that and getting him into bed becomes a struggle.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Even after declaring he was "so tired!" while getting ready for bed at his usual time, my 4-year old stayed up until about 1am in his room coloring in the dark by the light of his nightlight. He was being quiet, he was having a blast, and he's not in school or anything, so I let him.

Kids are different, kids are stupid, kids will learn.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Potty training is a pain in the rear end. I have lost count of how many times I have had to take the car seat out because she peed on it during the car ride home. There are so many stupid pieces to that thing that you need to take apart for we can wash the cloth part.

We've been at it for two months now and she still refuses to go poop in the potty too.

Nothing really to contribute I just needed to rant because I'm sure there are others who are going through this exact same nightmare.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Been there and it does suck. Chux pads are great for car rides during dicey potty training situations.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
So probably a dumb question, but I'm a new mother so I'm sure this is common. My sweet boy was born 3 weeks early, he's strong and great, but I've noticed (he is 5 weeks old now) that his left eye kind of prefers to look outward, if that makes any sense? Not by much mind you, but enough that an anal mother would notice. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and she mentioned that it's more common for newborns to have eyes that cross inward and not outward, and referred me to an eye doctor for piece of mind even though she wasn't too worried. My parents are saying not to worry since he is so young and that the doctor would likely tell me to come back in a few weeks anyway. Anyone have experience with a newborn with an eye that likes to point outward? I know their eyes are wonky in the beginning and I know he is 3 weeks early so I'm trying to remember that. I just cant help being paranoid. I know he is too young to really focus on my face and everything and he mostly likes to stare at walls and light, but when he does his left eye slightly looks off.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

momtartin posted:

Potty training is a pain in the rear end. I have lost count of how many times I have had to take the car seat out because she peed on it during the car ride home. There are so many stupid pieces to that thing that you need to take apart for we can wash the cloth part.

We've been at it for two months now and she still refuses to go poop in the potty too.

Nothing really to contribute I just needed to rant because I'm sure there are others who are going through this exact same nightmare.

Most fabric stores now carry the waterproof fabric used to make cloth diaper covers. Joann's sells 3 packs of small pieces that would be big enough to cover the car seat. Might be worth picking up just to lay down under her. Much easier to swap a piece of fabric and a thin piece of fabric won't interfere with the functions of the car seat.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Candy Dawn posted:

So probably a dumb question, but I'm a new mother so I'm sure this is common. My sweet boy was born 3 weeks early, he's strong and great, but I've noticed (he is 5 weeks old now) that his left eye kind of prefers to look outward, if that makes any sense? Not by much mind you, but enough that an anal mother would notice. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and she mentioned that it's more common for newborns to have eyes that cross inward and not outward, and referred me to an eye doctor for piece of mind even though she wasn't too worried. My parents are saying not to worry since he is so young and that the doctor would likely tell me to come back in a few weeks anyway. Anyone have experience with a newborn with an eye that likes to point outward? I know their eyes are wonky in the beginning and I know he is 3 weeks early so I'm trying to remember that. I just cant help being paranoid. I know he is too young to really focus on my face and everything and he mostly likes to stare at walls and light, but when he does his left eye slightly looks off.

My son was 3 weeks early too. He was induced early due to cholestasis. I definitely understand your extra worry. I think your doctor is right on target here. It is common to have weird eye things as newborns, but with eyes the earlier you catch things the easier it is to correct. If it is something, it is likely just a lazy eye type thing which is easily corrected by wearing a patch on the good eye. The earlier it is treated the less time they usually need to wear the patch. I wouldn't worry too much, but I would see an eye doctor just to be sure. Someone on here recommended the infantsee program and I had a great conversation with the eye doctor that I took my son to. She said that there are a lot of eye issues that can be corrected easily if caught early, but are much harder to correct if caught later in life.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Our baby was born sept 28th at 1h30 AM. He and the mother are healthy so all of that is great. My only problem is that the baby is unable to sleep on his own at all. If we put him in the crib or old school rocking infant bed we have in our bedroom he wakes up within 20 minutes (he managed 40 mins once). I understand that this is perfectly normal and may last for weeks/months. Right now our sleeping arrangement is I sleep in the bed while my GF breastfeeds for around 1 hour and then I take the baby until he needs to feed again which happens 1 to 2.5 hours later.

I take care of him on the couch where I prob him up on a nursing pillow + a receiving blanket in the hole so he's basically on a little bed so I don't have to physically hold him, one of his sides touching me and one arm around him on the head side. He'll usually sleep right through to the next feed. That's fine and all, but the problem is I'll often end up falling asleep and I'm scared that this is dangerous even if I'm sleeping lightly. i'm just not able to stay awake and my girlfriend is barely hanging on with the sleep she's getting. If we put him in his own bed, my girlfriend gets no sleep at all because he wakes before she has time to fall asleep. I don't think we can safely co-sleep in our bed.

I'm a bit lost now and don't know what to do.

good thing he's so cute I can't hate him

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 2, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingColliwog posted:

Our baby was born sept 28th at 1h30 AM. He and the mother are healthy so all of that is great. My only problem is that the baby is unable to sleep on his own at all. If we put him in the crib or old school rocking infant bed we have in our bedroom he wakes up within 20 minutes (he managed 40 mins once). I understand that this is perfectly normal and may last for weeks/months. Right now our sleeping arrangement is I sleep in the bed while my GF breastfeeds for around 1 hour and then I take the baby until he needs to feed again which happens 1 to 2.5 hours later.

I take care of him on the couch where I prob him up on a nursing pillow + a receiving blanket in the hole so he's basically on a little bed so I don't have to physically hold him, one of his sides touching me and one arm around him on the head side. He'll usually sleep right through to the next feed. That's fine and all, but the problem is I'll often end up falling asleep and I'm scared that this is dangerous even if I'm sleeping lightly. i'm just not able to stay awake and my girlfriend is barely hanging on with the sleep she's getting. If we put him in his own bed, my girlfriend gets no sleep at all because he wakes before she has time to fall asleep. I don't think we can safely co-sleep in our bed.

I'm a bit lost now and don't know what to do.

good thing he's so cute I can't hate him

He is indeed freakin' adorable.

Two things we used when Nora was tiny:

The graco pack and play with bassinet. The bassinet is a bit more compact and enveloping than an old school one and we lined it with a super soft cover (one that was made for our changing pad). She slept for hours there.

Then we used the Fisher Price Rock 'n' Play rocker. It, as well, is nice and enveloping and keeps them propped up at a little bit of an angle. It also vibrates if your little one likes that (ours didn't). I'm not sure what your old school rocker is like, but it might not be comfortable enough?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BonoMan posted:

He is indeed freakin' adorable.

Two things we used when Nora was tiny:

The graco pack and play with bassinet. The bassinet is a bit more compact and enveloping than an old school one and we lined it with a super soft cover (one that was made for our changing pad). She slept for hours there.

Then we used the Fisher Price Rock 'n' Play rocker. It, as well, is nice and enveloping and keeps them propped up at a little bit of an angle. It also vibrates if your little one likes that (ours didn't). I'm not sure what your old school rocker is like, but it might not be comfortable enough?

thx :)

the rocker is the thing my grandmother slept in as an infant. Not sure what it's called in engish it's similar to this but does not rock anymore since the bottom arcs are flat from decades of use. All my cousins used it with their babies. It has seen 7 or 8 babies in the last decade without problems AFAIK

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingColliwog posted:

the rocker is the thing my grandmother slept in as an infant. Not sure what it's called in engish it's similar to this but does not rock anymore since the bottom arcs are flat from decades of use. All my cousins used it with their babies. It has seen 7 or 8 babies in the last decade without problems AFAIK

Ah, well this is what I'm talking about : http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...e+rock+and+play

It's quite a bit different. Smaller, more compact and "snuggly." There's also a more expensive auto rocker version.

Are you guys swaddling? We never did that, but most parents swear by it for young ones.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

In English that's a cradle :)

As far as your baby's non-sleeping goes, if he falls asleep okay on a nursing pillow next to you on the couch, maybe he just needs to be sleeping at an angle? You could try propping up the bottom of the crib mattress a bit, so there's an incline, and see if that helps.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BonoMan posted:

Ah, well this is what I'm talking about : http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...e+rock+and+play

It's quite a bit different. Smaller, more compact and "snuggly." There's also a more expensive auto rocker version.

Are you guys swaddling? We never did that, but most parents swear by it for young ones.

Ok, thx. We'll consider it if we can't find another solution in the next few days since we're trying not to buy more stuff. He seemed to like being in his car seat so may be the snug feeling is what he's looking for. We'll try putting him in his car seat a couple times to see if he likes it. I know it's not good for a baby to sleep in them all the time but a few hours to test things out should ruin his hips

We're gonna give swaddling another go tonight. Kind of failed at it and didn't try again because we have those cute sleeping bags my mom made that make changing so easy. Time to give those super cute swaddling blanket a try.

zonohedron posted:

In English that's a cradle :)

As far as your baby's non-sleeping goes, if he falls asleep okay on a nursing pillow next to you on the couch, maybe he just needs to be sleeping at an angle? You could try propping up the bottom of the crib mattress a bit, so there's an incline, and see if that helps.

The pillow is actually on me (it's one of the U shaped things). I should take a picture, but he's basically sleeping like if he was being fed. Except he's on his back and not sucking on anything.

pretty much like this, but on his back and his right or left side touching my stomach and my arm is resting on the pillow around of his head instead of dangling down and my legs are straight since I'm on the "long" side of the sofa. Also there's a blanket under him in the "hole" section so he's on a flat surface otherwise he would fall slghtly toward me (we put another blanket under the whole contraption so the "bed" itself is at a slight angle)

We will definitely try the incline thing. Wanted to yesteday but kind of never got to it since we were just doing a sleep relay race the whole day

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had similar issues at first when our kid was a newborn and trying to get him to sleep. We used this rock n play and it was a lot better than his co-sleeper. They are worth the money even though they only use the for a month or two
http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-my-little-snugamonkey-special-edition-deluxe-rock-n-play-sleeper/-/A-14775271

The other thing was getting a good swaddle on them. I recommend a muslin swaddle. They're sorta stretchy and not too heavy so its easy to get a nice tight fit.

The other thing that helped was having a fan in the room for the white noise.

A lot of the stuff you have to do to get a newborn to sleep is emulating what their conditions in the womb were like. Up until now that was the only environment they were use to and the one that feels "normal" to them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hell we used our Rock'n'Play for four straight months!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We used ours as the primary sleeper for a month or two until he could fall asleep in his co-sleeper and then it became an extra place to nap outside of our bedroom and our travel bed. It was nice to have something that I could move from room to room with one hand.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Rock n' Play saved my life. Wish I'd had it in the early days.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Babywearing evangelism time. Have three boys currently aged 7, 4 and 1.5. (I am their dad despite the wording of my custom title.) Don't know how many cumulative hours I've logged with a little boy sleeping on me in a wrap or mei tai or similar since 2008 but it's a fuckload. Been a lifesaver on many occasions (especially since my wife works nights a lot).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We had one from fisher price that vibrated under the baby's bum as well as rocked. It was like an off switch.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
In the beginning with both our kids I (dad) would take a shift each night holding them sitting in a chair similar to how you're describing. It get's better. Swaddling and white noise helps.

Here's a youtube that talks about swaddling. https://youtu.be/a_64-LbhT3M First quick search I found on google.

Oh also I would put the baby in a moby (stretchy wrap) for naps and then I could type reports during the day or get things done. Wearing a baby and vaccuming the house puts them right to sleep.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
For each of our kids, there was a lengthy interval of time where the only way I could get him to sleep was carrying him around in a mei tai (with #2 and #3 this would be done in parallel with putting the older brother(s) to bed; still do it that way sometimes with youngest).

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
The hospital where we had our first kid discouraged swaddling. We spent the first few weeks as parents without it until our midwife told us it was fine, the hospital just discourages it because apparently new parents can do it too tight and hurt their baby.

Once we started swaddling everyone at home was happier. Also, the White Noise app in my phone has never been more used.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

All my cousins used it with their babies. It has seen 7 or 8 babies in the last decade without problems AFAIK

You might be perfectly aware of this already, but not all new parents are, and it's such an important thing to know when people start giving you advice left, right and centre - all babies are different. What works for someone elses kid, doesn't neccessarily work for yours. What works for yours, might not be what worked for someone else. Just because the last 30 babies of the Colliwog-clan loved the cradle (which is so awesome, by the way, having that kind of heirloom is just wonderful), doesn't mean that you're doing something wrong if your baby doesn't like it - it just means that you've got one of those babies that don't like cradles, however annoying that might be.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Can you set up a safe cosleeping arrangement? You all may get more sleep that way.

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

skeetied posted:

Can you set up a safe cosleeping arrangement? You all may get more sleep that way.

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

Just an FYI, that website goes against accepted best practices and should be treated with skepticism.

edit: It actually suggests you talk to your partner before co-sleeping so you will know what to tell the coroner

CerealCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 2, 2015

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

CerealCrunch posted:

Just an FYI, that website goes against accepted best practices and should be treated with skepticism.

Erhm, could you be more specific? I read the page and could not figure out what caused you to think the warning was needed. It is not saying you ~should~ co-sleep, it's telling you what precautions to take if you were to do so, and all seem perfectly sound to me.

I guess the only thing I could find is whether they should sleep on their backs or not. Which has changed through time and as far as I know, latest practice is "yes".

Edit:

CerealCrunch posted:

edit: It actually suggests you talk to your partner before co-sleeping so you will know what to tell the coroner
OK, so you were just trolling then.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 2, 2015

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
thx a lot to everyone. We are not planning to co-sleep. Our readings and our pediatrician does not suggest it and I would not be able to live with myself if something happened or, even worst, if I convinced my gf to try it and something happened. I'm sure it would help, but I'll gladly take a lack of sleep over that risk. I know there is a lot of debate on that subject and I'm sure it works and is safe if you know what you're doing, but I'm really not comfortable with it.

We had a really good day today so I'm feeling quite a bit better.

We moved the craddle to the living room and I've had good luck with him sleeping there while I have a hand on him. It's not super relaxing to monitor him non stop but I hope it'll get him used to it. We also used one of my girlfriend t-shirt as one fitted sheet and propped the bed at a little bit of and angle using a binder under it.

After the next feeding we'll try swaddling him for the rest of the night. He does seem to love it when I hold his arms so I'm confident it will help

Thx a lot once again you have all been a great help I'll keep the thread updated and will probably need more help soon anyway

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 3, 2015

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

My son was 3 weeks early too. He was induced early due to cholestasis. I definitely understand your extra worry. I think your doctor is right on target here. It is common to have weird eye things as newborns, but with eyes the earlier you catch things the easier it is to correct. If it is something, it is likely just a lazy eye type thing which is easily corrected by wearing a patch on the good eye. The earlier it is treated the less time they usually need to wear the patch. I wouldn't worry too much, but I would see an eye doctor just to be sure. Someone on here recommended the infantsee program and I had a great conversation with the eye doctor that I took my son to. She said that there are a lot of eye issues that can be corrected easily if caught early, but are much harder to correct if caught later in life.

Than you for the piece of mind! I'm trying not to be too worried but as a FTM that's hard. I think I'm going to give him another week, 2 a the latest and then make an eye doctor appointment. If this is a problem I want to nip it in the bud as soon as I can.
Here's a picture of him, you can kind of see what I mean. It's not a lot, both eyes always dart in the same direction, but the left one is ever so slightly off.. Still a cutie pie though! <3

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
My bub slept in a rocker (very similar to the fisher price one) for 4 months too. I was very sad when she outgrew it. We still have her bassinet on an incline, she hated it before we tried that.

And I can't imagine putting her to sleep without a swaddle. She's a bigtime flailer, even now at 5.5 months she wakes herself up with windmill arms. She likes white noise too.

Basically my baby is high maintenance.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Step 1:
get exercise ball
step 2: hold baby (or carrier).

Baby sleeps in...10mins of being held while bouncing, work on the transfer.

Hint: buy the biggest exercise ball you can find. http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Total-Body-Balance-Ball/dp/B000VDTEDA/ works.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Step 1:
get exercise ball
step 2: hold baby (or carrier).

Baby sleeps in...10mins of being held while bouncing, work on the transfer.

This was the step that was most difficult for us. It required us to move at very, very, very, low speed and demanded intense control in our back muscles as we lowered him into the crib, then so very slowly push the arm holding his back into the mattress and try to slip it out sloooooooowly, ready to freeze at the slightest hint of movement and pray he didn't wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

rgocs posted:

Erhm, could you be more specific? I read the page and could not figure out what caused you to think the warning was needed. It is not saying you ~should~ co-sleep, it's telling you what precautions to take if you were to do so, and all seem perfectly sound to me.

I guess the only thing I could find is whether they should sleep on their backs or not. Which has changed through time and as far as I know, latest practice is "yes".

Edit:

OK, so you were just trolling then.

Seriously not trolling. Check out #10 in the FAQs. Hell, just search for coroner on the page. She literally thinks you need to talk to your partner so that you don't place blame after the coroner's report comes out.