Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not raiding at that level, but isn't the red/blue mechanic in A4S in the T5 spot, except that the cheese is harder to pull off?

The cheese is considerably easier. Sacing anywhere between 6-9 people and getting your MP periodically wiped is easier on healers than maintaining nisi, that's how stupid nisi is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ntan1's posts are what I imagine trying to read while having a stroke is like

E: ^ I meant that the cheese was harder than T5's cheese, not harder than the intended solution, sorry.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's funny how much easier it was to actually look up, find Twintania and move out of the way than it was to hide in that dip on the edge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For my Black Mage rotation, I have been opening with Flare, then Transpose, then Fire for single target or Fire II for AoE until Transpose is off cooldown and then Flare again followed by Transpose and then repeat. Is there a way I can make this rotation better? I don't fully understand the mechanics behind Transpose and sometimes it doesn't give mana back and that is confusing me.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

For my Black Mage rotation, I have been opening with Flare, then Transpose, then Fire for single target or Fire II for AoE until Transpose is off cooldown and then Flare again followed by Transpose and then repeat. Is there a way I can make this rotation better? I don't fully understand the mechanics behind Transpose and sometimes it doesn't give mana back and that is confusing me.

are you yankin my metaphorical chain here

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Transpose isn't a direct MP restore the way Convert is. It's a switch to Umbral Ice 1 if you had some level of Astral Fire beforehand (or vice versa), which you'll have after the preceding spells. NB that if Astral Fire/Umbral Ice has fallen off entirely, hitting Transpose will do gently caress-all.

Umbral Ice gives you really nice MP restoration whenever the server tick for natural HP/MP restoration ticks. Depending on timing, you might not get one of those ticks quite when you want to, and you certainly won't get it instantly. If you want instant MP after Flare, that's what Convert and X-Ethers are for.

None of this is, of course, addressing the rotation itself, which looks like it's aimed at level 50ish. The level 60 rotation is far more interested in things like getting in lots of Fire 4 while sustaining Astral Fire 3 (with other fire spells) and Enochian (with Blizzard 4).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

After flare just wait for mana to start regening on its own.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

I have been opening with Flare

You what mate.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
weave scathe in between blizzard casts, that's why people hate the new blm rotation because to get the best dps you have to get lucky with the double potency proc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was about to reply to that post but I'm pretty sure now it's a quote from somewhere.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure it is too but hell, why pass up an opportunity to provide fake advice. make sure to save a firestarter proc so you can switch back from umbral ice faster after your mp regens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vil posted:

Transpose isn't a direct MP restore the way Convert is. It's a switch to Umbral Ice 1 if you had some level of Astral Fire beforehand (or vice versa), which you'll have after the preceding spells. NB that if Astral Fire/Umbral Ice has fallen off entirely, hitting Transpose will do gently caress-all.

Umbral Ice gives you really nice MP restoration whenever the server tick for natural HP/MP restoration ticks. Depending on timing, you might not get one of those ticks quite when you want to, and you certainly won't get it instantly. If you want instant MP after Flare, that's what Convert and X-Ethers are for.

None of this is, of course, addressing the rotation itself, which looks like it's aimed at level 50ish. The level 60 rotation is far more interested in things like getting in lots of Fire 4 while sustaining Astral Fire 3 (with other fire spells) and Enochian (with Blizzard 4).

I know gently caress all about what I am doing. What is an alternative rotation for 50?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Please do not troll in these hallowed grounds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At 50? Fire 3, fire I/ii until out of mana, blizzard 3, thunder iii, blizzard I, back to start.

For a flare opener you replace your last fire with a flare, convert, fire I, blizzard iii.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Considering their recent post history of "just came back to the game and working through level 50 MSQ", I'm pretty sure it's neither trolling nor OF quoting.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair, making it a side thing you can jump in and out of will probably make it more fun.

And thus hated by the XI fans.

You can jump out of hnm camps on XI, too. You know, if you're some kind of loving casual trash.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

At 50? Fire 3, fire I/ii until out of mana, blizzard 3, thunder iii, blizzard I, back to start.

For a flare opener you replace your last fire with a flare, convert, fire I, blizzard iii.

What does the 60 AoE rotation look like, anyway? I've been using Fire 3 -> Fire 2 until almost out of MP -> Flare -> Convert -> Swiftcast -> Flare -> Transpose -> (Fire 2 -> Fire 2 -> Flare -> repeat). I think I've asked this ITT before but I never really got a good solid answer.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

vOv posted:

What does the 60 AoE rotation look like, anyway? I've been using Fire 3 -> Fire 2 until almost out of MP -> Flare -> Convert -> Swiftcast -> Flare -> Transpose -> (Fire 2 -> Fire 2 -> Flare -> repeat). I think I've asked this ITT before but I never really got a good solid answer.

You could probably smash Enochian in there for an extra 5% DPS.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

vOv posted:

iirc it's the exact same as it was at 50, you just keep enochian up for the little buff and stay in leylines.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

iirc it's the exact same as it was at 50, you just keep enochian up for the little buff and stay in leylines.

Yeah the one bit that messes me up is that if I have Leylines, then I won't have a second MP tick by the time F2 finishes casting, so I'll wind up going F2 -> Flare -> Transpose -> F2 -> Flare -> Transpose. Not sure if that's better or worse.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did the Mog fight last night. What the gently caress.

This is my Dragoon rotation can someone please advise me on how to jump on things better

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

Yeah the one bit that messes me up is that if I have Leylines, then I won't have a second MP tick by the time F2 finishes casting, so I'll wind up going F2 -> Flare -> Transpose -> F2 -> Flare -> Transpose. Not sure if that's better or worse.

It's worse, transpose won't be off cooldown yet. That's the real reason why you cast fire 2 instead of flare IIRC. Throw a blizz 4 (or blizz 1 if you're out of enochian) instead.

I said come in! posted:

I know gently caress all about what I am doing. What is an alternative rotation for 50?

Your single target damager goes like Fire 3 -> fire 1 until out of MP -> blizzard 3 -> thunder -> (insert blizzard 1 filler if your mp isn't full yet) -> fire 3.

Use thunder procs to see if your firestarter proc'd, don't bother canceling fire 1 to cast firestarter, do use firestarter as soon as possible. Except when you're out of MP already, in that case, go through the blizzard 3 -> thunder -> blizzard 1 thing, then when full mp, hit transpose, then hit firestarter.

If there's more than 1 target, it's even easier:
Open with fire 3 -> 3x fire 2 -> flare -> transpose -> fire 3 -> 2x fire 2 -> flare -> transpose etc.

Once you get the hang of these, start using convert and x-ether potions drat you yoship to cast extra flares and swiftcast to cast flares really fast. :v:

Also, transpose isn't something that gives you MP, it converts between ice and fire. Fire gives you bonus fire damage, ice gives you huge amounts of MP regen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IcePhoenix posted:

This is my Dragoon rotation can someone please advise me on how to jump on things better

DRG at 50 is HT, CT combo, Phlebotomize, FT, combo, HT, FT, Ph, CT, HT, FT, Ph, FT, repeat.

At 60 it's just HT, CT combo, combo finisher, Phlebotomize, FT combo, combo finisher repeat.

As far as using your off GCDs, try to only ever use one in between each move if at all possible. I adjust which ones I use where depending on the specific fight, but there are some that are pretty much universal. I always use B4B after heavy thrust. This will ensure it lasts all the way through your full thrust and usually your combo finisher as well. My standard boss opening is:

Battle litany as the tank pulls, HT, B4B, Impulse Drive, Inner Release, Disembowel, BoD, Chaos Thrust, power surge, combo finisher, gierskogul, phlebotomize, jump, true thrust, dragonfire dive, vorpal thrust, life surge, full thrust, spineshatter, combo finisher, leg sweep, HT. From there just use your off GCDs as they come up.

I tweak the order as needed for some fights. In A3S, for example, I don't open with a battle litany instead saving it for the equal concentration burn on the hands. I use spineshatter at pull so that it's off cooldown at the first wash away, and I hit dragonfire dive right after chaos thrust before the combo finisher so it'll be off cooldown before equal concentration and I can hit both hands with it. All of this I'm talking about here might just be way too much info, but the point I'm saying is adjust your cooldowns when necessary for optimal output. Also if you have to pop a potion, do it right before chaos thrust. Squeezing both BoD and a pot of str in between disembowl and CT will slow you down ever so slightly, but that will ensure the pot is on for CT, phlebotomize, and your life surged full thrust which is a fair tradeoff for a quarter of a second.

Your gierskogul use at 60 is based entirely off of your skillspeed. Dragoons benefit a lot these days from being stupid fast. With enough speed you can pretty much use gierskogul right after the combo finisher following chaos thrust. Try to keep BoD up, though, over blowing a gierskogul, because the boost to your jumps and the combo finishers is more of a dps increase. Basically figure out whatever works for you. Also if you drop BoD, switch back to a level 50 rotation until it comes back up otherwise you'll clip 4-5 ticks off your chaos thrust and that's bad.

On a related note, dragoon with a 2.04 gcd is loving ridiculous but oh god where did all my tp go.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 30, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

hahahahaha

that gif is pretty perfect. i tried DRG for a while and it made me feel retarded, what a goofy rear end class

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It really is easy to do once you get it rolling. Your rotation is pretty much fixed at level 60 with just a few special deviations that very few of the playerbase will ever need to worry about.

HT, CT combo, finisher, Phlebotomize, full thrust combo, combo finisher repeat. There are 10 moves that you do and you do them pretty much in the exact same order every time, combo finishers not withstanding. You don't even have to pay attention to any of your GCD buffs, dots, or dubuffs because they're all just a part of the rotation. The only timer you ever have to watch is BoD, and you only have to look at that enough to know if you can squeeze in another gierskogul.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

It really is easy to do once you get it rolling. Your rotation is pretty much fixed at level 60 with just a few special deviations that very few of the playerbase will ever need to worry about.

HT, CT combo, finisher, Phlebotomize, full thrust combo, combo finisher repeat. There are 10 moves that you do and you do them pretty much in the exact same order every time, combo finishers not withstanding. You don't even have to pay attention to any of your GCD buffs, dots, or dubuffs because they're all just a part of the rotation. The only timer you ever have to watch is BoD, and you only have to look at that enough to know if you can squeeze in another gierskogul.

And frankly, if you're content to be lazy and mediocre, you can even ignore gierskogul entirely and still do fine for 99% of the content in the game. It's really not a hard class to play once you get the rotation down, it has an easy flow to it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IT IS DONE

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

this is also me playing monk as I inevitably forget my rotation and confuse my positionals

e:

Mr. Nice! posted:

IT IS DONE

drat, how long did that take? :golfclap:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A few months ago I decided I was gonna cap him. He was rank 7 or 8 from just using him throughout 2.0. With the help of other TPT birdfeeders and the challenge log I was able to get a rank a week pretty much up until the end. The last couple took a couple of weeks each, but that's mainly because I didn't log on as much to feed him.

The best thing I've found so far to get bird experience is hinterlands/azys lla fates. Fate grinding there I'm able to get around 100-150k bird experience an hour if not more.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

woah grats on the chocobo, thats pretty cool. mine is still just rank 11. i should do something about that, maybe i'll take the bo out and go adventuring tonight instead of farming triple triad (although i love triple triad, why is it so relaxing)

ive made like 40k MGP trying to get the gaius card btw

stupid bitch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

are there any good triple triad and chocobo racing guides out there? I haven't really gotten into either yet but I definitely need more things to waste my time instead of doing the msq or leveling anything ever.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

are there any good triple triad and chocobo racing guides out there? I haven't really gotten into either yet but I definitely need more things to waste my time instead of doing the msq or leveling anything ever.

http://ffxivtriad.com/

i use this site in general (you can sync it to your character on the lodestone and keep track of your cards), but i google individual NPCs before i play them for tips, there's usually guides on reddit and youtube and stuff. really handy when you start getting to the trickier guys.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

This is a decent one for TT:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/221926-Getting-to-30-Getting-Over-the-Triple-Triad-Beginner-s-Hurdle

Main thing is get to 30 cards by beating easy NPCs so it unlocks a 2 star deck. If you beat 30 NPCs, it unlocks the Squall card which is quite good. I'm in the process of getting to 60 cards and man its a slog. I need to farm bosses that drop cards more.

Once you get a 2 star beast tribe deck, you can wreck the imperial in Mor Dhona because of the ascension rule (all related cards get a plus one when one is played).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A Spider Covets posted:

woah grats on the chocobo, thats pretty cool. mine is still just rank 11. i should do something about that, maybe i'll take the bo out and go adventuring tonight instead of farming triple triad (although i love triple triad, why is it so relaxing)

ive made like 40k MGP trying to get the gaius card btw

stupid bitch.

Even if you don't take him out to play, go feed him a krakka root every hour that you're online. I also used curiel roots when leveling for the bonus experience. I can't remember if it's 15% or 20% bonus for the level 2, but it's handy if you're farming for exp.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even if you don't take him out to play, go feed him a krakka root every hour that you're online. I also used curiel roots when leveling for the bonus experience. I can't remember if it's 15% or 20% bonus for the level 2, but it's handy if you're farming for exp.

oh i didnt know what roots you fed mattered, thanks for the tip!

also i have decided my chocobo is a girl, please do not misgender her, Mr. Nice!.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Heavy Thrust > Chaos Thrust combo > Phlebotomize > Full Thrust combo > Full Thrust combo > repeat works well for me for non blood of the dragon rotation. The 2.0 rotation works too but I feel with the new durations on some moves this works better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

petcarcharodon posted:

Heavy Thrust > Chaos Thrust combo > Phlebotomize > Full Thrust combo > Full Thrust combo > repeat works well for me for non blood of the dragon rotation. The 2.0 rotation works too but I feel with the new durations on some moves this works better.

I tried this out a few times on a dummy just to check it out and there are a couple of problems. I have a 2.37 gcd right now, but heavy thrust is still dropping before I'm able to reapply it. If I was any slower, it would drop before the second full thrust can hit. That is more damage lost than the one tick of phlebotomize that you clip if you go to the 2.x rotation. I don't know that it's possible to be fast enough to keep the heavy thrust buff up through three full combos, so you end up with a slight dps loss. In my runs on the dummy, yours came out about 15-20 dps lower. Not significant, but this also is a case with no moving

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm looking at the top 10 WAR parses in A1S on fflogs to get an idea of how diligently people are using Fracture (all the time? In berserk only? Etc) and the only thing I've learned is that no one seems to agree on when to use it and how often to maintain it. Some parses place it every 45 seconds or so, some maintain it 100% and have overlaps between oppressor and .5, etc. And oddly, on some parses it looks like Fracture is only ticking for ~15 seconds (http://www.fflogs.com/reports/4nLAz1NJwvZyK8Vt#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=9&ability=33).

Anyway, fracture talk :getin:
FFLogs may also not be reporting things correctly for all I know.

nuru fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 30, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

nuru posted:

something something Elin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

I'm looking at the top 10 WAR parses in A1S on fflogs to get an idea of how diligently people are using Fracture (all the time? In berserk only? Etc) and the only thing I've learned is that no one seems to agree on when to use it and how often to maintain it. Some parses place it every 45 seconds or so, some maintain it 100% and have overlaps between oppressor and .5, etc. And oddly, on some parses it looks like Fracture is only ticking for ~15 seconds (http://www.fflogs.com/reports/4nLAz1NJwvZyK8Vt#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=9&ability=33).

FFLogs may also not be reporting things correctly for all I know.

In terms of pure DPS, it's always worth it to maintain Fracture except if you're at risk of missing a Fell Cleave during a Berserk cycle.

• Locked thread