Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It did do away with death though. There was literally no modicum of challenge in the game because any remotely difficult fight could be handled by respawning, hitting the bad guys a fight times, "dying" and respawning again until they eventually expired.

*in PYF poster voice* its extremely bad that someone listened to fan feedback and made a divisive feature strictly optional so as to make everyone happy

I'm fine with having the option. I'd rather games always give the players options. Whats right for one person isn't necessarily right for another, and I hate one-size-fits-none.

Still, I think people overreacted. If you're actually getting through the game by dying and coming back over and over and death zerging, then you're really really bad. And in that case you probably need all the help you can get? IDK I died like a total of like 5 times in all of Bioshock 1.

And is that really any worse than savescumming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

System Shock 2 had the first "vita chamber," but it had a nanite cost, and the super neat in game explanation of being an experimental quantum entanglement chamber thingi.

I turned the vita chambers off in Bioshock because I liked it that way. :colbert: SShock2 had enough tension and difficulty on its own and the entanglement chamber was practically a punishment, especially if you came back near some cyborg ninjas.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Obscure was a kind of ridiculous survival horror game that played more or less like The Faculty only without aliens. It's pretty janky but it featured multiple playable characters and even same screen co-op. And if one of those characters dies? Well, tough luck, guess they won't make it, they are now dead.

Also when the gently caress did savescumming become a bad thing? It loving rules and I love doing it. If I want to quicksave after every success and quickload after every failure, let me do it. The only game that managed to succeed at making me not care was Shadows of Mordor. Checkpoints are the worst thing to happen to gaming, in my opinion. I would experiment in games so much more if I could savescum. Like for instance, the original Thief games would be terrible without quicksave.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 30, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't think savescumming is bad and I didn't say that. (Some people do but whatever gently caress em, play how you want)

The whole point was that vita-chambers are about the same as save scumming, they're like automatic savescumming almost. Rather than dying and replaying a bunch of stuff, you get to just keep going from where you were. Savescumming might make you replay a bit more than the respawning-without-reloading does, but they're both ways to avoid having to re-play a bunch of stuff you did already, in order to get one thing right at the end.

The whole implication was that save scumming isn't bad, and since vita chambers are about the same as save-scumming, they're not bad either.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Player death is bad because it disrupts the flow of gameplay, but a game where the player never dies is too easy so there's no challenge. The ideal videogame experience is one where the player is always on the verge of death but never actually gets killed.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Save scumming is a triggering pejorative. Save file utilization is the preferred vernacular.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Chamale posted:

The ideal videogame experience is one where the player is always on the verge of death but never actually gets killed.

You have described chess.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What's an RPG where it is fun to be a rogue/thief/assassin?

I want to sneak around, steal poo poo, murder from the shadows, while being rewarded and having fun.

Skyrim was alright, but I wanted to try something new.

I am still stuck with last generation and older consoles. I would prefer a game on 360.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Franchescanado posted:

I want to sneak around, steal poo poo, murder from the shadows, while being rewarded and having fun.

I am still stuck with last generation and older consoles. I would prefer a game on 360.

Dishonored (very little stealing, lots of murder)

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Shadow of Mordor

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The ideal game is one with a total catastrophic failure state, possibly with a few "permanent resource loss" stop-gaps first, but with with content sufficiently dense and replayable that you're not discouraged from immediately starting a new game/character when you lose.

So roguelikes, competitive games with a winner and a loser, puzzle games with random or at least a vast number of pre-defined boards, etc.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

With October descending upon us, I would like to throw out a recommendation for SOMA. It's by the Amnesia team and is a similar "Wander around solving mysteries and having the poo poo scared out of you" but it's a little more story focused than "hiding in a closet too scared to come out" focused than Amnesia was. Also more of a sci-fi theme than a gothic one, if that appeals to you more.

The protagonist came across as a little whiny though but the underwater section with the lights was fantastic.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Looking for a game that's pretty chilled out and relaxing, something along the lines of Harvest Moon? Resource gathering, building a little homestead, becoming self-sufficient. Anything like that out there?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I'm looking for a game with an emphasis on melee combat and a focus on fighting individual enemies without them being too much of a pushover, and without an emphasis on fighting large crowds. Also preferably some adventure-exploration elements.

Dark Souls is the best example of what I'm looking for, really. Not my fault that game lines up with what I want perfectly. Or Zelda I suppose. Dark Souls is pretty much just an evolved Ocarina of Time with less puzzles as far as gameplay goes, really.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Does God Hand count?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
From what I've read, Lords of the Fallen is a ripoff heavily inspired by Dark Souls.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Reds posted:

I'm looking for a game with an emphasis on melee combat and a focus on fighting individual enemies without them being too much of a pushover, and without an emphasis on fighting large crowds. Also preferably some adventure-exploration elements.

Dark Souls is the best example of what I'm looking for, really. Not my fault that game lines up with what I want perfectly. Or Zelda I suppose. Dark Souls is pretty much just an evolved Ocarina of Time with less puzzles as far as gameplay goes, really.

I think Dark Messiah of Might and Magic fits this really well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Reds posted:

Severance: Blade of Darkness is really good for this if you don't mind going a bit older.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Thief.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Fat Samurai posted:

From what I've read, Lords of the Fallen is a ripoff heavily inspired by Dark Souls.

From what I've read, LotF completely misses the mark as to what makes Dark Souls combat fun, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pun pundit posted:

From what I've read, LotF completely misses the mark as to what makes Dark Souls combat fun, though.

Nah, it doesn't completely miss the mark. Its a bit different and that drives some people nuts, and the level design isn't nearly as good, but it is the closest you can get to dark souls outside of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne.

I really wish there were more souls-like games but there's just not a ton right now. Closest after LOTF is things like Dragon's Dogma, maybe Onimusha? Devil May cry sorta...

Although even then the souls games leaned more towards big crowds of enemies the further you went in the series. Dark Souls 3 looks like its going to have more enemies than ever.

HMS Boromir posted:

Does God Hand count?

It should. Everybody play God Hand :colbert:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tagra posted:

the underwater section with the lights was fantastic.
Oh god there's a water part again? :gonk:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Loopoo posted:

Looking for a game that's pretty chilled out and relaxing, something along the lines of Harvest Moon? Resource gathering, building a little homestead, becoming self-sufficient. Anything like that out there?

If you want it NOW and have a Nintendo console, try the Animal Crossing games. Otherwise a lot of people who share your desire are waiting on Stardew Valley to be released, Real Soon Now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

You have probably already played it (because basically everyone has) but this is essentially the core appeal of Minecraft's survival mode. There are a ton of mods out there that are worth looking into as well to fine tune it to exactly what you want - there's stuff out there that lets you acquire monster drop items even in peaceful mode, allowing you to craft anything while still preventing them from spawning.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

chairface posted:

If you want it NOW and have a Nintendo console, try the Animal Crossing games. Otherwise a lot of people who share your desire are waiting on Stardew Valley to be released, Real Soon Now.

I used to play AC when I was a kid, a good 6 years or so ago on the Gamecube. Will look into that now. I know it's a bit redundant asking this since the videos I am just about to watch will answer it, but what is the actual goal of AC? Cause I remember from when I played it aaaages ago, it was just pimping out your house and planting a few trees and collecting bugs. Definitely can't wait for Stardew Valley but IIRC it's been delayed a bunch. I remember it was "close" to releasing 6 months ago.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You have probably already played it (because basically everyone has) but this is essentially the core appeal of Minecraft's survival mode. There are a ton of mods out there that are worth looking into as well to fine tune it to exactly what you want - there's stuff out there that lets you acquire monster drop items even in peaceful mode, allowing you to craft anything while still preventing them from spawning.

See, I loved Minecraft, and I played it til I was sick of it. I'd play it again but only if I had a close friend to coop it with.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 1, 2015

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-sorry double posted-

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Loopoo posted:

I used to play AC when I was a kid, a good 6 years or so ago on the Gamecube. Will look into that now. I know it's a bit redundant asking this since the videos I am just about to watch will answer it, but what is the actual goal of AC? Cause I remember from when I played it aaaages ago, it was just pimping out your house and planting a few trees and collecting bugs. Definitely can't wait for Stardew Valley but IIRC it's been delayed a bunch. I remember it was "close" to releasing 6 months ago.

See, I loved Minecraft, and I played it til I was sick of it. I'd play it again but only if I had a close friend to coop it with.

This is pretty much how I play 7 Days To Die. It calls itself a zombie game, but 90% of it is farming, building, looting and such. I'd say it's one step more buildy/farmy than Minecraft, and if you turn the difficulty down a notch the zombies can be ignored as a non-issue like minecraft zombies. Or turn the spawnrate up (or wait for a multiple-of-7th-night) and get sieged by a surprisingly large amount of zombies.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm looking for some dumb fantasy thing, in PC RPG format. Swords, wizards, gods, undead yadda yadda. Something that sounds like the blurb for a power metal concept album would be nice. Suggestions that aren't Souls games, Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
The witcher series, pillars of eternity, the divinity series. Also shadowrun but that's got cyberpunk mixed in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
^^^^^^ :argh:

MooCowlian posted:

Something that sounds like the blurb for a power metal concept album would be nice.

Brütal Legend. Although it's not an RPG.

Joking aside, I assume you already know of these, but just in case: Witcher 3 (single player real time arcadey-ish) or Pillars of Eternity (party based real time with pause, more tactical. Think BG2).

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for the PS3. Though I'd maybe wait for the PC version coming out in January.

The Witcher 2 or 3 Polish power metal is a thing right? It's not dumb but there are swords, wizards , gods, undeads, maidens, really depressing family drama and witches.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

I'm looking for some dumb fantasy thing, in PC RPG format. Swords, wizards, gods, undead yadda yadda. Something that sounds like the blurb for a power metal concept album would be nice. Suggestions that aren't Souls games, Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age?
Divinity 2 and Divinity: Original Sin are as high fantasy and unashamedly stupid as they come, and great games too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MooCowlian posted:

Possibly Arcanum? It's fiddly as hell to get working and full of barely realized potential, but it plays like a Victorian era fantasy Fallout 1 or 2.

So you can get a dwarf in steampunk power armor shooting at hordes of undead while wearing a magnetic top hat that deflects bullets.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games fit this quite well - Icewind Dale especially. Dragon's Dogma is coming to PC sometime in 2016, and is pretty much as dumb fantasy as you can get without becoming Divinity. The older Dungeon Siege games could theoretically fit into this, but they're kind of a hassle to get working right on modern OS's. If you're willing to try older or janky games, you could try the Realms of Arkania or Drakensang series'.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MooCowlian posted:

Earlier I recommended Gothic/Risen and I am going to do it again. If you can't stand old lovely graphics and jank, start with Risen though Gothic is still very good if you're willing to look past its flaws. I also recommended Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which would also totally fit. Especially Dark Messiah if you're trying to be metal as gently caress.

But the most metal game to come out recently? Shadows of Mordor. Good god do you gently caress some poo poo up in that game. Here is the most metal screenshot I have personally taken:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Somebody needs a new graphics card :cheeky:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
What fun party games are out there at the moment; on level with Cards Against Humanity and Jackbox

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Manic X posted:

What fun party games are out there at the moment; on level with Cards Against Humanity and Jackbox

Tabletop Simulator's Superfight DLC is great. Its a polite Cards Against Humanity with superheroes and powers instead of jokes. Some combinations are hilarious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Manic X posted:

My balls are a party and you’re invited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

willus posted:

Shadow of Mordor

Do not play the 360/PS3 versions of Shadow of Mordor. They had core features terribly neutered and the framerate is barely playable.