Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What? The G27 like many cheaper wheels are not belt drive. They are gear driven, you can feel the notches through the wheel. There are high end wheels like the T500 which are belt drive and they certainly don't fall into the affordable category. Then yes, the really high end stuff (as in 'professional level' meaning people that build sims for use by racing teams for practice, etc) is often direct drive like the ECCI products.

But the G27 is still a geared wheel which feels nothing like a quality belt drive wheel, like the T500. I have both.

edit: oh and if you want to drive fast, as opposed to feeling the 'experience' then use paddles like people that drive real cars fast. WRC, F1, Sports Cars.. any open wheeler that isn't old for the fun factor.. they all use paddles. It's not a preference, it's like FOV, it's objectively better to not take your hands off the wheel to change gear. So I guess if you're driving something specific and want to heel and toe and use a stick for whatever reason, great and fine and I think that's fun too. But paddle shift is found everywhere now for good reason, you've got more control because you're never taking a hand off the wheel at high speed and with a 8 speed transmission like you'll find in a modern F1 car a stick shift would just be comical.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
That's what you get for not checking half-remembered information. Apparently the cheaper wheels are indeed still gear driven.

Tony Montana posted:

edit: oh and if you want to drive fast, as opposed to feeling the 'experience' then use paddles like people that drive real cars fast. WRC, F1, Sports Cars.. any open wheeler that isn't old for the fun factor.. they all use paddles. It's not a preference, it's like FOV, it's objectively better to not take your hands off the wheel to change gear. So I guess if you're driving something specific and want to heel and toe and use a stick for whatever reason, great and fine and I think that's fun too. But paddle shift is found everywhere now for good reason, you've got more control because you're never taking a hand off the wheel at high speed and with a 8 speed transmission like you'll find in a modern F1 car a stick shift would just be comical.

That's true about speed, but even with my unrealistic automatic sequential setup it's still more fun to smash the stick back and forth when I drive say an E30 than using the paddles. CLONK CLONK CLONK so satisfying :)

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 29, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Championship scoring is fixed in GSCE v1.48 (the current beta) though all the championships except I think the Stock Car and Marcas series (possibly Formula 3 Brasil and the karts too) are exactly the same. That'll likely improve when they add in custom championships. If you want to try GSCE there's a good demo you can download from the Reiza site or the standalone Copa Petrobras de Marcas game which is just the Marcas cars and tracks and is completely free on Steam. Though that game hasn't gotten a lot of the updates that GSCE itself has gotten.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Even with paddle shifters, with many cars you still need to blip in order to maximize engine braking without losing traction of the drive wheels. If the car has built in auto-blip like the iRacing GT3 cars, then it's a moot point, but in cars like the Skip/SRF/Miata/Late Model you need to heel-toe to maximize braking without assists.

I only use paddles - I'd rather get a better wheel and pedals before I buy a shifter - and I heel-toe a lot.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Even with paddle shifters, with many cars you still need to blip in order to maximize engine braking without losing traction of the drive wheels. If the car has built in auto-blip like the iRacing GT3 cars, then it's a moot point, but in cars like the Skip/SRF/Miata/Late Model you need to heel-toe to maximize braking without assists.

I only use paddles - I'd rather get a better wheel and pedals before I buy a shifter - and I heel-toe a lot.

I don't know how it is in iRacing, but rF2, SCE and AC all allow you to set autoblip on all cars if you also use autoclutch. At least the setting exists and as far as I can tell it works fine.

The problem I have with heel-toe is that whenever I try it hurts like hell after a few minutes. It's that sideways ankle movement that kills me, my ankles have always sucked rear end and I sprain my feet at the slightest provocation.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 29, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I don't know how it is in iRacing, but rF2, SCE and AC all allow you to set autoblip on all cars if you also use autoclutch. At least the setting exists and as far as I can tell it works fine.

The problem I have with heel-toe is that whenever I try it hurts like hell after a few minutes. It's that sideways ankle movement that kills me, my ankles have always sucked rear end and I sprain my feet at the slightest provocation.

The setting exists, but I have refused to use it since day one of owning a wheel. I even blipped back in my Forza 4 days with a controller, but that's a lot easier. The only way I would personally use auto-blip is if I didn't own a pedal set with three pedals.

Have you tried adjusting your pedal position? My CSR pedals are adjustable from side to side, I believe all Fanatec pedals can be adjusted to some degree. I moved my brake closer to the throttle, which helped a lot. If you have the ability with your pedals, you could also move the throttle further away from you. That would line it up better with a depressed brake, so it would be easier to reach. I think ClubSport pedals can do this, but not sure.

The blip sensitivity is highest in rF2 from my experience - I learned to heel-toe there, and it seems easier everywhere else. Then again, I have driven a manual car daily for almost two years now and I practice blips in that, so video game blips feel super easy. The jolt from a bad blip in a real car is a good motivator to do better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
fwiw, heel toe is a misnomer for modern cars and nearly all Sim pedals, they are so close together that you barely need to move your foot to brake and feather the gas at the same time with the front of your foot on both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just put half your foot on on your brake and use the other half to jam the throttle when you shift.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

365 Nog Hogger posted:

fwiw, heel toe is a misnomer for modern cars and nearly all Sim pedals, they are so close together that you barely need to move your foot to brake and feather the gas at the same time with the front of your foot on both.

Modern pedal clusters make heel toe really goddamn awkward. I mean at first glance everything looks like it's in the same place, but the pivot points and angles make it feel weird.

Heel-toe in a classic car, like the 70's or earlier before automatic transmissions really took over, and it's like "holy poo poo now this makes sense!"

Which is why if I ever sperged out and did a DIY pedal set, I'd get pedals from a VW bug. Not really needed these days because there are some really good pedal sets on the market but ~5 years ago it was a different world.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

looks right

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That looks like a project cars wreck alright

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clearly they haven't finished implementing the tire AI to get it to bounce perfectly on top of the tire stacks.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

xzzy posted:

Clearly they haven't finished implementing the tire AI to get it to bounce perfectly on top of the tire stacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNE0G2lDtl0
Best video on youtube imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PSA: Dirt Rally's 0.8 update is out and the game is 15% off on Steam for a week.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I want to add a specific recommendation for starting out with a controller to the OP. I assume that would be pCars since it's actually available for console?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dual shock 4 is the perfect pc controller. The track pad doubles as a goddamn mouse.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks, but I meant which game, not which controller :)

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
assetto corsa on a constantly stuck to the left some times randomly ps3 controller made me buy a dfgt vOv

so assetto corsa on broken controller is my recommendation

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
"GT3 on the PS2 with the stick taped to the right for big money in endurance races" is better.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I want to add a specific recommendation for starting out with a controller to the OP. I assume that would be pCars since it's actually available for console?
PCars, R3E, and Dirt Rally are the only modern ones I've played with a controller (tried Race 07 and a couple others back in the day and they were basically unplayable for me with controller, having only played Gran Turismo for sim racing before). Of those three, I'd rate controller play quality as (best to worst): Dirt Rally (felt solid out of the gates with no changes at all) > PCars (feels pretty good after tweaking: first to something playable [from official forums] since the Default is trash... then to personal preference) > R3E (didn't seem good with a controller, basic tweaks didn't help... didn't consult official forums for suggestions though).

I and others (Sealhammer, Kaddion) were winning goon PCars races with a controller against some with wheels so you can definitely be competitive after setting it up to your liking. Seems a reasonable recommendation for a PC circuit sim if you're rocking a controller, but I haven't played much of the competition in the OP for comparison.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Assetto with a controller is not great, but a lot of the devs and modders appear to use them, and it's passable with stability control on around 25%.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars works very well on a pad. Gotta put some time in to nail down settings based on how ya like the car to handle. AC is OK on a pad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Completely unrelated but I decided to try out Nascar Racing 2003 and I'm shocked at how well that game stands up. Granted after installing quite a few mods and making graphics tweaks but it's really interesting to look at and see how very little in terms of UI and such changed when iRacing was made, even the replay controls and spotter lines are the same. Only real difference is the AI doesn't start screaming over voice chat if you drift up too high and cause a 20 car pile up. Also the adaptive AI thing actually shows you the difficulty it's operating at which is awesome for seeing actual improvement from race to race. Anyway what I'm saying is it's probably worth putting in the OP under old sims both for historical value and it still being pretty great to play, especially since most every form of Nascar (and Indycar) has been modded in over time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So now that I have a racing rig should I get a buttkicker next for it or upgrade my dfgt to a g27/t150?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Harminoff posted:

So now that I have a racing rig should I get a buttkicker next for it or upgrade my dfgt to a g27/t150?

Upgrade the wheel. I want to add a buttkicker also, but I don't think I'll do it until I upgrade from CSR to ClubSport. The buttkicker stuff will cost you $150+ to do it right, and you'll get more information feedback from a better wheel than from a buttkicker.

They do look awesome though :3: I just got a nice promotion, so I might be able to do these upgrades by springtime.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Every backer go vote Skip Barber into SCE: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/bonus-car-voting-round-1-read-the-rules-before-voting.111569/

Edit:

njsykora posted:

Completely unrelated but I decided to try out Nascar Racing 2003 and I'm shocked at how well that game stands up. Granted after installing quite a few mods and making graphics tweaks but it's really interesting to look at and see how very little in terms of UI and such changed when iRacing was made, even the replay controls and spotter lines are the same. Only real difference is the AI doesn't start screaming over voice chat if you drift up too high and cause a 20 car pile up. Also the adaptive AI thing actually shows you the difficulty it's operating at which is awesome for seeing actual improvement from race to race. Anyway what I'm saying is it's probably worth putting in the OP under old sims both for historical value and it still being pretty great to play, especially since most every form of Nascar (and Indycar) has been modded in over time.

I'll put it in the next time I update.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 1, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

NASCAR Racing 2003 worked decently with a controller! Remember playing it with a bunch of friends for a brief period years ago, we'd muck about in Practice and Qualifying (I got pole every time :smuggo:) and then we'd go to race and someone would manage to screw up and crash into AI drivers before the green flag (:argh: manual pace laps with teenagers with ADD) every single time.

Googling it, there's some Reddit post explaining how to get it all updated and, apparently, it's validly considered abandonware so it's theoretically legit to DL it for free. An interesting prospect perhaps for people who've mentioned wanting to get their oval racing on whilst most sims have slim to none for oval racing.* IIRC didn't Dale Earnhardt Jr. and some other NASCAR drivers call NR2003 harder than the real thing way back then?

* Think someone mentioned in the PCars thread awhile back being annoyed at the lack of adding Indy which is supposedly the still-missing category from career mode that has been "coming soon" despite the game being out like 5 months now. Also, when we did a goon race I remember looking at the setup and noticing a "Weight Jacker" setting on the Mustang race car that, per in-game info, was for running it on an oval track; naturally, it was defaulted to non-zero, despite there not being a single oval track in PCars. I was the only one who mucked with the settings and turned it to zero so the car wasn't pulling to the side the entire race. :shobon:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Out of curiosity I looked up the current Nascar games and apparently you can't even remap your controls in the current one and it doesn't work with wheels. That's baffling.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ugh, yeah. Where the hell is the Project Cars indy stuff? Seasons been over for a bit. Pretty sure the ovals were partially finished in beta?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
ugh if the car that wins the sce bonus car vote is a bloody 911 i'll be very annoyed. I can understand why its a popular choice but surely we can think of something slightly more interesting than a car that's available in every racing game in some form

that's mostly why i didn't vote for the skip barber: i don't need a third version of that car and there's already the Formula Vee car to play that role in SCE - and I've been driving that a tonne this week and think that its a funner car to drive

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

ugh if the car that wins the sce bonus car vote is a bloody 911 i'll be very annoyed. I can understand why its a popular choice but surely we can think of something slightly more interesting than a car that's available in every racing game in some form

that's mostly why i didn't vote for the skip barber: i don't need a third version of that car and there's already the Formula Vee car to play that role in SCE - and I've been driving that a tonne this week and think that its a funner car to drive

what are the other options since i didn't back but am curious as to the possibiities!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

Actually that's a good point about the Skip Barber.

OhsH posted:

what are the other options since i didn't back but am curious as to the possibiities!

The full list is long, right now it looks like it's going to be decided in a second round between these:

Can-Am Group 7 (Porsche 917, McLaren M8, Lola T70, Chaparral 2J)
DTM (Early 1990s - BMW, Alfa Romeo)
Group C Prototype (1988-1991: Sauber C9, Jaguar XJR-8, Jaguar XJR-14, Porsche 962)
LMP1 Prototype
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
World Sports Car Championship (1967-71 - Ferrari 512M, Porsche 917, Lola T70, Ferrari P4)

Edit: They're only going to make ONE car, so no full series. Also, it's most likely going to be an unlicensed lookalike.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Edit: They're only going to make ONE car, so no full series. Also, it's most likely going to be an unlicensed lookalike.

yeesh, i wouldn't vote for any of those to be honest with you.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, the only one of these I care about - deeply :) - is the 90s DTM, but that's useless with only one car so I'd rather go to R3E for that anyway.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I voted for the Miata because all racing games should have Miatas.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I suggested 1960s Indycar, partially because I was suggesting something quite late and I wanted to suggest something very different that hasn't been done before in any other game and that's literally the only thing that came to mind. It would be a better series for rfactor 2 really but they've meant to have been developing a load of old Indycar stuff for years and we haven't heard anything since the announcement, and although I'm terrible at driving road racing stuff now when I get better I'd like to have one of those available...

I really wanted to vote for Brisca F1 because its something very off the wall and different (and also cool) but it is totally inappropriate for SCE being a short-track series that mostly runs on less than quarter-mile slate tracks and it has no chance so I didn't want to waste all three of me votes. There's also very good rfactor mods of almost all of the UK stock car series (which you all should get) and therefore it kind of already exists. Also I've not yet seen a dirt track sim thing that has good AI and I couldn't see it being majorly popular online...

Unless something dramatically change, it'll be five of those that get in the finals. Of those I'll probably end up voting for either Canam or WSC but none are particularly enthralling. I'd rate the Ford Pinto (which is an option) above a few of them...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CaseFace McGee posted:

Upgrade the wheel. I want to add a buttkicker also, but I don't think I'll do it until I upgrade from CSR to ClubSport. The buttkicker stuff will cost you $150+ to do it right, and you'll get more information feedback from a better wheel than from a buttkicker.

They do look awesome though :3: I just got a nice promotion, so I might be able to do these upgrades by springtime.

I've got a Buttkicker and it is awesome beyond words to me, it adds another layer to everything, having your rear end rattled when going over kerbs is great.
I leave it on all the time as well because it;s good for music as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I voted LMP1 since it'd go well with the GT3 mod we already have for endurance racing. I just hate how these polls are inevitably going to end up with the same drat cars winning that are in every other game. The track poll was the same with Spa winning until Empty Box thankfully put a stop to it and we got a track that we don't have in every game and which doesn't even have a mod version.

Also GSCE doesn't need yet another open wheel car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are there any PC sims where a pony car league could be created ? Or would I be stuck with Forza ?

• Locked thread