Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Rusty Kettle posted:

Anyone nervous about the 810 in the 6P? Have the issues with that chip been addressed or were they overblown? No one seems to be concerned.

Not exactly real-world, but Engadget tried to make it happen:

Engadget posted:

It might seem a little tricky putting a chipset with that much power into a slim metal frame, but nothing we could do with it here at the venue could make the thing overheat.

In other news, I'm pretty much decided on going the hotsauce route and returning my not-quite month-old Moto X Pure and preordering the 6P. The Pure is a great phone, but the camera is such a disappointment after all the hype. I also find it unlikely that Motorola will ever allow all the camera2/3 goodies like shooting raw, manual control, or hell, even allowing true tap-to-focus.

I know the hype-train for the 6P's camera could be just as wrong as it was for Motorola, but at least with the Nexus I'll have the benefit of manual control so I can beef up pictures in Lightroom. Plus, I've been using a Nexus since I switched to Android--I don't think I could handle having a phone without the ridiculous quirks and glitches that come from being on the cutting edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Moto X Pure is just too big for me. The Moto G doesn't really seem like being worth it coming from a 2013 Moto X.

I'm going to have to get a Nexus 5x, aren't I? I hope the camera is really good. I hope they do something to get it to work on T-Mobile band 12.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here are some real world shots from the Nexus 5x/6p camera in low light. Not terrible, but obviously a lot different than the presser sample images.

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/30/nexus-6p-nexus-5x-camera-samples/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So the Nexus 6P doesn't do it's fast charging via the Qualcomm's QC technology, just via a standard 3.1 charger? Guess it's a good thing I never converted my chargers over.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FogHelmut posted:

The Moto X Pure is just too big for me. The Moto G doesn't really seem like being worth it coming from a 2013 Moto X.

I'm going to have to get a Nexus 5x, aren't I? I hope the camera is really good. I hope they do something to get it to work on T-Mobile band 12.

Well if it's like what happened to the Nexus 6, prepare to wait a while...

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Sorry everyone who already ordered a 5X, for potentially missing out on a new Oneplus device!!

http://www.gizmochina.com/2015/09/29/oneplus-x-to-feature-snapdragon-801-launching-in-october/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

halokiller posted:

Well if it's like what happened to the Nexus 6, prepare to wait a while...

I don't think it's a killer feature for me, but if I'm going to get a new phone, I want it all. I have plenty of coverage where I live. I was hoping that with Band 12, I'd be able to go more than 10ft outside of the suburbs and still get a signal. I can still just run this 2013 Moto X into the ground based on that. I'm really just not happy with the camera, and the battery life is showing it's age. I'm already charging it 2x a day as it is, so I I could just leave it plugged in forever why not.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

This is hardly a sure thing.

Yeah the old Sync system sucks so bad it makes me want a new car. Seriously, whoever designed that system should be locked away because they are obviously mentally ill.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think it's a killer feature for me, but if I'm going to get a new phone, I want it all. I have plenty of coverage where I live. I was hoping that with Band 12, I'd be able to go more than 10ft outside of the suburbs and still get a signal. I can still just run this 2013 Moto X into the ground based on that. I'm really just not happy with the camera, and the battery life is showing it's age. I'm already charging it 2x a day as it is, so I I could just leave it plugged in forever why not.

Uh, I wouldn't count on that.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah, better coverage where you already have great coverage. I drove through that pink area in Southern California yesterday and was on 1G for about 20 minutes. I doubt it would be any different.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nexus team is doing an ask me anything https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3mzrl9/hi_im_hiroshi_lockheimer_here_at_google_with_the

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I'm considering changing out my ageing xperia Z. Current considerations are between the 2014 nexus 6 or the 2015 moto x play. Both have about the same price right now, but the n6 might drop in price now that the newer models are out.

Right now I'm leaning towards the n6, partly because of stock android and partly because I wouldn't have to mess around with an ageing SD-card. I don't have a wireless charger, no quickcharge capable charger and no particular accessories that works better with either one of them.

Anything else I should consider? Any major downside to the N6?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's a lot more readable in Q&A view: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3mzrl9/hi_im_hiroshi_lockheimer_here_at_google_with_the?sort=qa

It emphasizes the OPs responses when sorting.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I wish they would say which generation samsung panel is in the 6p. If it's note 4 and later I'll probably give up on using a small phone and resign myself to use a phablet. I have a tab s and the display is the best trait about it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The bits of the AMA we didn't already know:

Storage is eMMC 5.0, not the faster UFS 2.0 that Samsung are using now
USB data is still running at 2.0 speed
They are trying to get T-Mobile band 12 working before shipping
Full device encryption is backed by ARMv8 intrinsics, shouldn't cripple performance like it did on the N6
No support for HDMI out, they assume you'd use a Chromecast
No support for Bluetooth aptX codec, but they're looking into it

e:
5X has the same optics as the 6P, as well as the same sensor which we already knew. Only difference is the more advanced ISP in the SD810.
6P has the latest generation Samsung AMOLED tech
P stands for Premium, X stands for... Core?

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 30, 2015

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

They also mentioned that they didn't provide Qi because they always included it since mixing up the usb2.0 port was so common. Since USB-C is reversible this isn't an issue anymore. (This isn't exactly a good reason)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

HolyDukeNukem posted:

They also mentioned that they didn't provide Qi because they always included it since mixing up the usb2.0 port was so common. Since USB-C is reversible this isn't an issue anymore. (This isn't exactly a good reason)

Wow

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I'm mad af about this

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So 0 chance the 6p is gonna be sold by carriers? I use t-mobile JUMP and the 6p looks sweet :smith:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 20, 2018

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really don't like QI charging. I have one at my desk, so in theory I can just drop my phone on it, but it's so pick with my case on that it ends up taking more time to get it aligned just right than it would to just plug a cable in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really don't like QI charging. I have one at my desk, so in theory I can just drop my phone on it, but it's so pick with my case on that it ends up taking more time to get it aligned just right than it would to just plug a cable in.

With a Tylt-style one you just throw it on there, no alignment necessary. Also with dexterity you can have a phone without a case, so that doesn't impede anything either. I have Tylt Vus everywhere I am, multiple places around the house and at my desk at work and in the car so it's trivial to just set it on there without even looking and know it will always work.

Sometimes my phone gets as low as 90% but I don't like to run it down.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

this. people who whine about 'but i have to put the cable in !!! A CERTAIN WAY !!!' are literally the biggest babies

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

this. people who whine about 'but i have to put the cable in !!! A CERTAIN WAY !!!' are literally the biggest babies

I don't like cables in my virginal holes.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

this_is_hard posted:

I'm truly sorry we share differing opinions on mobile phone features

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

You probably tried a lower quality wireless charger to be honest. Like was said, with the Tylt Vu I just plunk the phone down at any angle/orientation/position and it charges away, case and all. It's a magical tech and convenience that I can never live without now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

The N5 and the official nexus charger has alignment magnets, so it just drops on and sticks. It's really nice. Also my kids like to climb in my bed at night, and sometimes they go under the bed and play, so having the cables on my night stand is a risk, since they tend to throw pillows off the bed and yank the phone cable and attached phone on to the floor. With the Nexus charger it didn't happen. Oh well, I guess I can ziptie the cable down so they can't get it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I would've liked my tylt vu more if quick charging wasn't a thing. Can't say its an improvement to lose it though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dunno, I kinda just use my eyeballs and look at the charger, align it correctly, and there it is plugged in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The N5 and the official nexus charger has alignment magnets, so it just drops on and sticks. It's really nice. Also my kids like to climb in my bed at night, and sometimes they go under the bed and play, so having the cables on my night stand is a risk, since they tend to throw pillows off the bed and yank the phone cable and attached phone on to the floor. With the Nexus charger it didn't happen. Oh well, I guess I can ziptie the cable down so they can't get it.

Sounds like you need grip tape tbh

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Decided I'm not overly impressed with the new Nexus offerings so picked up last years 6 to tide me over; they can be had new pretty cheap it seems.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

nerve posted:

I'm truly sorry we share differing opinions on mobile phone features

im glad you managed to type that post. it must have been a lot of work :smug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dear Nexus Team, where did they decide to make the cost savings on the X and P?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Decided I'm not overly impressed with the new Nexus offerings so picked up last years 6 to tide me over; they can be had new pretty cheap it seems.

I'm really considering the same. My Nexus 5 is still working perfectly though so it's hard to justify losing the good notification light and nice size when I'm really just concerned about it crapping out later and then having the stock of 2014 Nexus 6s be depleted.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sounds like you need grip tape tbh

If grip tape makes my 10 month old not crawl under my bed and attempt to eat my phone charger cable every chance she gets, I'd happy apply it liberally to her.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everyone should have seen this coming anyways.

Samsung started advertising wireless charging as a reason to buy a new galaxy device. Therefore, it follows that wireless charging falls out of fashion. This is the new normal folks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

I'm really considering the same. My Nexus 5 is still working perfectly though so it's hard to justify losing the good notification light and nice size when I'm really just concerned about it crapping out later and then having the stock of 2014 Nexus 6s be depleted.

Well the N5X does have a notification light http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-the-spec-list/

edit: but you don't want the N5X, never mind

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

The Nexus Team is doing an AMA and they have answered that they're trying to get band 12 working before ship date.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3mzrl9/hi_im_hiroshi_lockheimer_here_at_google_with_the/cvjk7dv

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

repiv posted:

They are trying to get T-Mobile band 12 working before shipping

That's good to know. Even if it takes awhile it's nice to hear that they are actually trying to get something out soon instead of a vague "maybe in the future it'll work" message from Moto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

bull3964 posted:

Everyone should have seen this coming anyways.

Samsung started advertising wireless charging as a reason to buy a new galaxy device. Therefore, it follows that wireless charging falls out of fashion. This is the new normal folks.

I have 3 Tylt Vu's and a car Vu. Whyyyyyy do they do this to me.