Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So about those randomly appearing cameras, they are actually in the game right, not just in those two main missions?

I mean they would appear if I manually increase they readiness level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

InfinityComplex posted:

Red means you're in deep poo poo.

holy poo poo haha that explains alot. this entire time i thought red meant they had their poo poo disabled because of the combat ops destroying poo poo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snak posted:

I can't believe they introduce Diamond Dog's boat right at the beginning of the game and then it's never seen again. They're all like "We got this old whaling ship as filler for the cuscene, since it had nothing to do with anything"

I mean yeah it explains how Pequod can deploy to loving Africa and Afghanistan from Mother Base.

If instead of a giant Mother Base we had a whaling ship converted into an aircraft carrier, that'd be so cool. It'd be SMALLER than Mother Base, so it wouldn't take an hour to navigate, but it'd also be more intimate. Like any good Saints Row hideout.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bholder posted:

So about those randomly appearing cameras, they are actually in the game right, not just in those two main missions?

I mean they would appear if I manually increase they readiness level?

i get cameras everywhere (im on red for that for most of the game) i don't get them at random outposts but all the main bases i get 3-4. braga has 5 at the moment for me since i have never bothered to raid the camera bunker in the combat ops.

edit: to clarify, i only seem to recall seeing them during missions and not in free roam but i could wrong.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The progression is Faded -> Light White -> Bright White -> Light Red -> Dark Red (there are 6 levels but they're not all visually represented so I dunno, plus there are some display glitches). Dark Red means you have really pissed them off. If you're seeing dispatches to disable their poo poo, you've made them paranoid. If you don't see the dispatches, readiness has decreased to the point that you can't disable their stuff because they aren't using it anymore anyway.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Huey is also completely self-serving. I mean the whole reason he even developed bipedal mech technology in the first place was to give himself legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IljxOISbGyw&t=103s

1:43 - 2:50

The real reason he wanted legs.

Nakar posted:

The progression is Faded -> Light White -> Bright White -> Light Red -> Dark Red (there are 6 levels but they're not all visually represented so I dunno, plus there are some display glitches). Dark Red means you have really pissed them off. If you're seeing dispatches to disable their poo poo, you've made them paranoid. If you don't see the dispatches, readiness has decreased to the point that you can't disable their stuff because they aren't using it anymore anyway.

I guess I had dispatches backwards. I was trying to use them to lower the thing. How long does it take before it lowers normally?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wait, there's armour-piercing pistols?

Which ones are those?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I guess I had dispatches backwards. I was trying to use them to lower the thing. How long does it take before it lowers normally?
Hard to say because it depends. The higher the level, the faster it decays, but you have to avoid earning points on missions for the thing to ensure it keeps decreasing. It seems to be between -10 and -50 points per deployment (i.e. a mission, or entering and leaving free roam), and positive points are between +5 and +15 in most cases (though sniping is as much as +30). So if you want to get rid of enemy night ops prep you need to make sure you don't get detected at night and don't KO/kill anyone at night, as those drive the numbers up.

Some things never go down. Fulton preparedness and helmets can't decay because there's no entry for them to do so. Only the dispatches can do anything. Dispatches don't lower preparedness numerically, they just prohibit the enemy from using that thing for 3-5 deployments. If you hit their helmet supplies, it doesn't lower the helmet preparedness, it just blocks the enemy from having helmets until the dispatch effect expires.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Wait, there's armour-piercing pistols?

Which ones are those?
AM D114-9, the 9mm variants of the .45 pistol. They have special 9mm AP ammo that headshots right through helmets like a high-power sniper rifle.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This just popped up on imgur, a guy posting the MGS1 PC manual.
http://imgur.com/a/x6uuv

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I love the old mgs artwork, absolutely timeless.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Also in that Imgur gallery Decoy octopus doesn't have a title above his artwork, weird.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I love the old mgs artwork, absolutely timeless.

Seriously. The cover art for MGS2 is like, peak MGS art.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Also in that Imgur gallery Decoy octopus doesn't have a title above his artwork, weird.

That's kind of the joke. He's basically a shapechanger he's so good at disguising himself, so no one knows his name or callsign. That's why it's blank.

Also, it's barely "spoilers" but regarding the codename system: how exactly are you meant to get some of these? They can only be earned on legit missions, not side-ops of course, so codenames like Hog (running over people to neutralize them with D-Horse) seem... spotty at best. I'm also having trouble getting Eagle. I've gotten a 100% headshot rate throughout several missions in a row but I only end up getting weapon class codenames like Wolf (sniper rifles), Doberman (assault rifles), or Raven (LMGs). Swapping them around to make sure I don't kill too many guys with a single class earns Bat instead, and using any non-lethal weapons leads to Octopus. aaaaaa.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did you CQC any people on your mission with 100% headshots? The description for EAGLE is that 90% of the enemies neutralized are with headshots. So the only thing I can think of is that you neutralized some people in a way that didn't impact your percent of headshots...

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I knew there was a PC MGS port, I never really thought about it before, but now I'm wondering how the Psycho Mantis and post-torture arm massage stuff works without a Playstation?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stabbatical posted:

I knew there was a PC MGS port, I never really thought about it before, but now I'm wondering how the Psycho Mantis and post-torture arm massage stuff works without a Playstation?

Presumably the same as it did if you didn't have a DualShock? They were pretty new at the time (I might have gotten one specifically for MGS).

Also were the illustrations in the PS1's manual in colour or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Mgs games were great for their manuals, mgs1 + mgs2 had loads of useful tips and tricks backed up with good artwork, mgs3 had a mini comic and detailed game tips, unfortunately ground zeroes and phantom pain didn't have any manual :[ most modern games don't which sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. I loved manuals but to be honest they have no real reason to exist anymore when putting a few kb of manual on a disc is way way way way more cost effective (and even environmentally friendly) than manuals.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mgs games were great for their manuals, mgs1 + mgs2 had loads of useful tips and tricks backed up with good artwork, mgs3 had a mini comic and detailed game tips, unfortunately ground zeroes and phantom pain didn't have any manual :[ most modern games don't which sucks.

...I don't know if I've ever looked at the MGS3 manual. I wonder if I have one?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

never give up on your dreams, kids.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3n0ckv/chico_may_have_in_fact_become_quiet_not_a_joke/

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://youtu.be/hu1TJjWqg0s?t=756

So why exactly is Snake dying here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Close.

Chico actually became Sniper Wolf.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Raxivace posted:

This is literally the reason why I never use D-Horse. The difference in height between "Snake can jump down safely" to "Snake dies instantly gently caress you" is too unclear (and crazy small, nothing about that jump looks fatal; at worst, it should injure D-Horse, not Snake) and with D-Horse it is way too easy to run off a ledge that's just a little too high.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Guest starring
Chico (Sniper Wolf's mom)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Raxivace posted:

He broke his rear end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

This is literally the reason why I never use D-Horse. The difference in height between "Snake can jump down safely" to "Snake dies instantly gently caress you" is too unclear (and crazy small, nothing about that jump looks fatal; at worst, it should injure D-Horse, not Snake) and with D-Horse it is way too easy to run off a ledge that's just a little too high.

Yeah, you would think it would just injure D-Horse.

It's happened to me in the same mission as Yong, and it's one of the few mechanics of the game that I just don't quite understand what the logic is supposed to be.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Snak posted:

...I don't know if I've ever looked at the MGS3 manual. I wonder if I have one?

It was cool, had a mini comic about snake eating wildlife and climbing trees and stuff.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Raxivace posted:

-sigh- and people still think the checkpoint system isn't totally hosed, pssssh.......

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

-sigh- and people still think the checkpoint system isn't totally hosed, pssssh.......

Honestly that specific mission (And the Extreme Mode version I guess) is the only time I've really had an issue with the checkpoint system, or lack of it I guess. "Totally hosed" seems wrong to me.

Besides, the larger point is about D-Horse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This has literally nothing to do with the checkpoint system so...

I'm legitimately curious. What do you think a good checkpoint system would be?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Like the old hitman games, you get two or three "saves" to use when you want, anymore than two or three gives you a penalty like a lower rank or something, would save you frustration when something happens like in the video.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The checkpoint system is really only ever a problem in that one mission simply because there are no checkpoints. Everything else, I knew how to game the checkpoint system to where it didn't really matter.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

well yeah it does, he died to something that was bullshit and had to start right from the beginning of the mission again because checkpoints in this game are awful?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Kinda lame they couldn't spring for color. Looks to be almost identical (minus platform specific stuff and color) to the PSX manual.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Regardless of what silly theories Chico gets, he still gets the short end of the stick in Phantom Pain. Paz betrayed them before and everyone still remembers hear a decade later with all the idol posters, where Chico gets a single tape talking about how he died and he is never mentioned ever again.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
His remains are being preserved by the military!

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Rirse posted:

Regardless of what silly theories Chico gets, he still gets the short end of the stick in Phantom Pain. Paz betrayed them before and everyone still remembers hear a decade later with all the idol posters, where Chico gets a single tape talking about how he died and he is never mentioned ever again.

There'll always be the memories of using the human slingshot. Wandering Mother Base soldiers should remember.

Wouldn't have found that item had it not been for the Isla de Monstruo.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Colapops posted:

Also, it's barely "spoilers" but regarding the codename system: how exactly are you meant to get some of these? They can only be earned on legit missions, not side-ops of course, so codenames like Hog (running over people to neutralize them with D-Horse) seem... spotty at best. I'm also having trouble getting Eagle. I've gotten a 100% headshot rate throughout several missions in a row but I only end up getting weapon class codenames like Wolf (sniper rifles), Doberman (assault rifles), or Raven (LMGs). Swapping them around to make sure I don't kill too many guys with a single class earns Bat instead, and using any non-lethal weapons leads to Octopus. aaaaaa.
It's based on the last three missions you did, so if you only do x for three missions straight you should be good. Also it helps to go into Reflex or Combat Alert so you don't accidentally get Foxhound.

The best mission for most things is Lingua Franca. Once you know where the Viscount is held, just drive straight to him. There's a single guard, and the way you take him out will determine your codename after 2-3 tries. You could also do A Hero's Way from the nearby land start, just D-Horse over kill everyone en route to the commander with your means of choice, and get out. Or wait until he walks outside to talk to the troops and drop an airstrike on him to get Whale. :krakken:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

because nobody wanted to gently caress chico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like the old hitman games, you get two or three "saves" to use when you want, anymore than two or three gives you a penalty like a lower rank or something, would save you frustration when something happens like in the video.

Except that means you're now locked into a bad situation if you save at the wrong time which will probably make you waste more time than going back the ~5 minutes you had to go before. Hitman actually had that exact problem.

The game also auto-saves pretty regularly. Like the system as it exists now is more lenient than the one you're suggesting.

well yeah it does, he died to something that was bullshit and had to start right from the beginning of the mission again because checkpoints in this game are awful?

The death would happen with literally any save system and short of auto-saving every three seconds he'd still lose progress with it, especially in a timed mission.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread