Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So here's the thing, the game shipped with the tutorial and a skate park creator. That's it. The entire rest of the content isn't out yet because it's a giant day 1 patch.
So yeah lots of people angry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dreezy posted:

Judging from what I've seen of the game, huge props to him for making it to seven parts.

Each "part" was 4 minutes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Unfunny Poster posted:

21 minutes is still more than most people will put into that PoS.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

HGH posted:

So here's the thing, the game shipped with the tutorial and a skate park creator. That's it. The entire rest of the content isn't out yet because it's a giant day 1 patch.

Jesus christ, so it's more of a demo than anything else?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
A very buggy demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIXkRXYbKaI

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's beautiful.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Tony Hawks 5 is Frog Fractions 2.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Looks like Goat Simulator with humans.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

At least Skate 3 is a great game with insane physics and bugs, what's their excuse?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

DSP is a oval office but gotta give credit where it's due, this game looks awful

That being said I kind of want to play it now

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

watho posted:

21 minutes is still more than most people will put into that PoS.

Hold up. Weren't we giving Game Grumps poo poo for splitting things into 10-15 minute eps? I mean, making seven loving videos out of 21 minutes?

Bad as the game is, I don't get to cut Sonic 06 into 30-second chunks. OR DO I?????

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

slowbeef posted:

Bad as the game is, I don't get to cut Sonic 06 into 30-second chunks. OR DO I?????
That would be an entire LP of Loading screens only. :v:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

slowbeef posted:

30 second videos with 30 second pre-roll, post-roll and mid-roll ads. Gotta make that green.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Zedd posted:

That would be an entire LP of Loading screens only. :v:
Set to the tune of the Homestar Runner song about the exact same?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

slowbeef posted:

I mean, there's no way for anyone to stop you from doing that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Fact checking will ruin the podcast lp thread

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

watho posted:

7 videos. No views.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SelenicMartian posted:

7 videos. No views.

Sadly I think the views listed there only apply to that playlist. The videos themselves I'm sure are selling like hotcakes.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

HGH posted:

Is it too early to call THPS5 the Sonic '06 of Gen 8? Feels like it could be a pretty good contender at least.

Also the patch was larger than the on-disc data itself, almost close to twice its size; 4.5 gig install with a 7 gig, day one patch.

Quality. :negative:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

watho posted:

drat you watho! I have no time to verify things in this fast information superhighway we live on *zooms on by in Cyber Tesla*

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
But he's right the 0 views means that noone has viewed the playlist. It does not reflect viewcount on the video itself.
Still though. What would make someone cut off the video at the 30 second mark? Did he misplace a comma and think they videos were actually 30 minutes each?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP is now uploading videos with longer runtimes than GameGrumps is. I love it.

Although I won't give DSP all the praise. He ran into the problem he did because he chooses to do the whole "Day 1 LP" thing, so now he bought a $60 piece of garbage that he can't even play, instead of waiting for some sort input on if the game was worth anyone's time.

drat shame too because THPS used to be so drat good. :( Why the gently caress would you map a "slam down and end your loving move/combo" function to the grind button WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Would people who make a living off of LPs on YouTube be able to claim the games and equipment as a business expense at tax time?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

NinetySevenA posted:

Would people who make a living off of LPs on YouTube be able to claim the games and equipment as a business expense at tax time?

Most likely, yes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

Hold up. Weren't we giving Game Grumps poo poo for splitting things into 10-15 minute eps? I mean, making seven loving videos out of 21 minutes?

I was being sarcastic in my post, since that's not something DSP wouldn't do.

NinetySevenA posted:

As far as I know, yes. I know some Twitch streamers have written their broadcast equipment off as a business expense.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

NinetySevenA posted:

Did you pay taxes on the income? Then hell yes, expense that poo poo.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

NinetySevenA posted:

Definitely, yes. Research and equipment are a necessary business expense. When I was writing TT RPGs, I was absolutely listing and reclaiming all the other RPGs I purchased.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Doseku posted:

But he's right the 0 views means that noone has viewed the playlist. It does not reflect viewcount on the video itself.
Still though. What would make someone cut off the video at the 30 second mark? Did he misplace a comma and think they videos were actually 30 minutes each?

Last I heard from this thread is that it was automated. Some sorta process that splits a recording into separate videos, renders them, and titles/numbers them. He probably batch uploads them after that.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Mr. Soop posted:

Is it too early to call THPS5 the Sonic '06 of Gen 8? Feels like it could be a pretty good contender at least.

Pretty sure that honor goes to Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Soop posted:

Also the patch was larger than the on-disc data itself, almost close to twice its size; 4.5 gig install with a 7 gig, day one patch.

Quality. :negative:

What is the qualifier? Because in terms of buggy games, this ain't even top 5 of this year.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tae posted:

What is the qualifier? Because in terms of buggy games, this ain't even top 5 of this year.
Maybe the qualifier is "part of an already-well-established series" or something, because within that qualifier I'm struggling to think of much worse in 2015 (although, as noted, Gen 8 in general gives us Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric as a strong contender). Without that qualifier, I suppose the poo poo Jim Sterling looks at in his Squirty Plays would come festering up to the top instead.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Shadow Hog posted:

Maybe the qualifier is "part of an already-well-established series" or something, because within that qualifier I'm struggling to think of much worse in 2015 (although, as noted, Gen 8 in general gives us Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric as a strong contender). Without that qualifier, I suppose the poo poo Jim Sterling looks at in his Squirty Plays would come festering up to the top instead.

I'm a believer in "you have to fly high to fall far." Sonic 2006 is so widely regarded not just because it is bad (after all, some Steam Early Access games don't even start for some people which would technically, automatically make it way worse, right?), but because there was so much time and money was put in. To top it all off, this is Sega - one of the major players in the games industry - and Sonic, their mascot and arguably face of the company. This is something you could never imagine Nintendo doing with Mario, nor Disney ever doing with Mickey Mouse.

And again, it's not like a weird one-off thing some other company did like Hotel Mario. This was an anniversary game in a flagship series, officially sanctioned and everything.

Sonic 06 is so bad because it had such high aspirations and failed so, so, so utterly miserably in meeting them.

If The Room were filmed on a camcorder and only 20 minutes long, it wouldn't regarded as the, er, masterpiece? that it is. It's the fact that it had a fairly good budget, time spent on it, etc. that makes you more bewildered into how it even got made.

The reason THPS5 is a contender is because, while it's not as high a mark as "new canon Sonic game", it's still a new entry in what was once a quality franchise. I guess in some ways, I'm wrong because failing to meet a lower bar is worse, but I think you need some level of competency before you can truly be judged as a bad game.

Or maybe, "you have to be good enough to be really bad." Or something. Maxims.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Jim Sterlings Squirty Plays, did anyone hear about how Digital Homicide have been using alt company names to put their games out and got caught using an existing company's name and are being sent a C&D?

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/digital-homicide-and-the-case-of-the-sockpuppet-developers/

quote:

...when I played Galactic Hitman and Devil’s Share, I had no idea I was playing yet more Digital Homicide games, although their poor quality should have been a surefire clue. This was because both these awful experiences were published by ECC Games… or were they?

See, there is an ECC Games, but it’s sure as hell not the company publishing crappy first-person shooters to Steam.

We at least can verify the “ECC Games” presenting itself on Steam (which I am going to call Faker-ECC because I like a good Masters of the Universe reference) is Digital Homicide, thanks to a page in which Galactic Hitman is listed as belonging to the notorious Romino brothers.

A Polish mobile game company by the name of ECC Games reached out to me via email explaining it has absolutely no link to Digital Homicide, and its claim most certainly seems to check out. Its own website features a whole host of mobile games, along with a full-fledged team of Polish developers. It also has a Twitter account which, prior to now, has no history of mentioning either Devil’s Share nor Galactic Hitman.

“We would like to inform that we are not designers nor producers of Galaxy Hitman nor Devils Share, games that have been published on Steam,” said ECC producer Dorota Muzynska. “We probably fell victim to a people previously known as Digital Homicide. We have already taken legal actions aimed at ceasing infringement of ECC GAMES rights.”

The game industry sure is a weird place, and I say that having worked in television.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 30, 2015

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Tony Hawk even has the same "reload the whole map multiple times with minor objective differences" problem as Sonic 2006.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the difference was that Sonic 2006 was the big thing Sega was doing for Sonic's 15th anniversary, and THPS5 was rushed out the door with almost no marketing because Tony Hawk's licensing deal with Activision ends this year.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the difference was that Sonic 2006 was the big thing Sega was doing for Sonic's 15th anniversary, and THPS5 was rushed out the door with almost no marketing because Tony Hawk's licensing deal with Activision ends this year.

Yeah, there are a dozen incomplete or otherwise shoddy games dumped out onto the market every year. Tony Hawk's a higher profile, but it's still a game that came without much fanfare.

I think to have a truly memorably bad game, you need a depth of failure. If you try to summarize what's wrong with Sonic 06 in a single sentence, odds are, you'd fail. If it's not the glitches, it's the graphics, or the plot, or the loading, or the human woman dating a hedgehog, or the voice acting, or the level design. Everything's bad, except for maybe the music, and it's all bad in remarkable ways. I don't think any game has so utterly failed its purpose as fully as Sonic 06. We're coming up on the nine year anniversary, and 50-part 06 LPs are still coming out and still finding new things it does wrong. Bad Rats and Big Rigs are novelty bad--Sonic 06 is remarkably bad.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Bad Rats and Big Rigs are amateurly bad Sonic 06 is professionally bad

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe not the best thread to ask in, but was THPS HD worth playing at all? I miss my Tony Hawk skating fun. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I saw a speed run and wasn't happy with few of the graphical changes myself. Much like FF10 HD it just looks ugly to me. (At least the 2d text graphics do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Maybe not the best thread to ask in, but was THPS HD worth playing at all? I miss my Tony Hawk skating fun. :(

Dan here talks about exactly what he likes and doesn't like about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhaXqBhdMlQ

• Locked thread