Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The CRTC law affected all contracts.

Corporate ones are a bit weird now, your contract can still be 3 years but your phone has to be considered paid off in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

The CRTC law affected all contracts.

Corporate ones are a bit weird now, your contract can still be 3 years but your phone has to be considered paid off in 2.

So how does that work, I get three years added to my one year still left? Or will they say "our system screwed up, gently caress you, keep your old phone."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you use a subsidized upgrade your contract renews to 3 years, I believe. But your phone is still paid off after 2 years of that.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

crazy how top tier smartphones cost more than high end laptops unsubsidized now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ChocNitty posted:

crazy how top tier smartphones cost more than high end laptops unsubsidized now.

Eh? $600ish for a Galaxy S6/Nexus 6 isn't more expensive than a mid-range laptop

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm gay

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How hard is it to include a drat micro SD slot on these new phones. I really want the Nexus 5x but I'm getting the Moto X because of the SD slot. I'm not paying $50 extra for 16gigs of extra storage on principle. I can get a great 64gig mSD card for like $18.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Please post a trip report after you've gotten a feel for it. I'm torn between this and the Sony Xperia z5 Premium (this doesn't launch until November but I held a z3 in a store and loved it) and I seriously can't choose after seeing the stuff at the Google Nexus Event :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

How hard is it to include a drat micro SD slot on these new phones. I really want the Nexus 5x but I'm getting the Moto X because of the SD slot. I'm not paying $50 extra for 16gigs of extra storage on principle. I can get a great 64gig mSD card for like $18.

Android is still terrible about how it addresses removable storage like an SD card. Everything wants to install to the phone's storage space unless I manually tell it not to. One big pool of storage is just easier to live with until Android pulls its head out of its rear end about this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Coredump posted:

Android is still terrible about how it addresses removable storage like an SD card. Everything wants to install to the phone's storage space unless I manually tell it not to. One big pool of storage is just easier to live with until Android pulls its head out of its rear end about this.

I only use it for music/podcasts/pictures. SD cards are perfectly fine for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Very. Google has actively tried to kill them.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Too cheap for a GroPro so I'm giving this guy a try.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Mu Zeta posted:

Not hard, but not profitable either. It's hard to charge an extra $100 for a phone with 64GB of onboard storage vs 32GB when a 32GB SD card costs less than $20. So they take away the option.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

este posted:

Not hard, but not profitable either. It's hard to charge an extra $100 for a phone with 64GB of onboard storage vs 32GB when a 32GB SD card costs less than $20. So they take away the option.

They're also trying to push you to THE CLOUD

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OGDanDogg posted:

They're also trying to push you to THE CLOUD
Local storage is so 2013

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

You also have to consider that smaller usually means more expensive. Also, laptop technology has been around for a good bit longer (compared to smart phones, not phones).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TJChap2840 posted:

You also have to consider that smaller usually means more expensive. Also, laptop technology has been around for a good bit longer (compared to smart phones, not phones).

e: Read cell phones instead of smart phones; never mind.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey I guess I can post this here too.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:homebrew: :hfive: :homebrew:

I really like the colour. Also it's really fast.

Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard

My old keyboard died so I picked up this odd looking thing on a whim. Ended up liking it so much that I took it to work. Then while I was on vacation for a week a coworker used it for a bit and liked it so much that she got one for herself.

I like the separate numpad because it lets my put my trackpad to the left while keeping everything reasonably positioned.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My new toy came in so I put it together.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

My new toy came in so I put it together.

Important question: are you able to reach the trigger with your toe?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Very happy to learn this existed.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nocal posted:

Important question: are you able to reach the trigger with your toe?

It's a pistol, why would I have to use my toe?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

It's a pistol, why would I have to use my toe?

It's not really a pistol just because you ruined a SBR.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not really a pistol just because you ruined a SBR.

It's not an SBR, it doesn't have a buttstock.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

It's not an SBR, it doesn't have a buttstock.

Yes, it is an unusable SBR.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

Yes, it is an unusable SBR.

It's a pistol.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

It's a pistol.

Have you ever seen a pistol before?

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

It's a pistol.

Anyone with eyes can clearly tell it's not a pistol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It looks like a shooting gun, hope this helps :tipshat:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Bought tickets to see the Zelda inspired symphony.

And a new watch. Again. I think it's an addiction.

Helios Grime has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Oct 1, 2015

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Coleridge49 posted:

I don't know much about guns, but that's definitely a pistol

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was gonna go with 'nail gun'

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
it's a super soaker you idiots

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Pistol is a famous basketball player you guys. "Pistol" Patrick O'Neil.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Helios Grime posted:

And a new watch. Again. I think it's an addiction.

SARBs are so cool, it's on my list. I've got other things to waste money on before I get another watch, but a SARB is a definite contender for my next watch.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Coleridge49 posted:

In the eyes of the ATF it's a pistol.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Scarf posted:

In the eyes of the Supreme Court, a tomato is a vegetable.

EDIT:

Also, the ATF defined this piece of string as a machine gun

spog has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Oct 1, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Scarf posted:

Lol at you just slobbering off the knob of the ATF on your assault weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Assault pistol