Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

In Sprog, is there any befit to building the village? Like besides just getting the upgrades and the buildings to get the new classes.

Unormal posted:

We spent like 1.5 years trying to get a hybrid game design with town building/roguelike split evenly, starting with a freemium design, then we decided that the game as a f2p game sucked rear end and moved to a premium pay-once design even though we'd be poor. At that point the town we had designed just didn't work, and the more we scaled it back, the more people liked it. We've got all the assets for a town building game I'd still love to make someday (though not freemium); so that's why it feels super imbalanced (so much detail & functionality for so little game effect). Trust me that it's a more fun game this way, though; user testing was unequivocal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a fun turn based party RPG along the lines of Wizardry or Might & Magic?

For a moment, I thought you were asking for a party game along those lines, and I got confused trying to imagine Might and Mario Party.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I completely agree. Nothing makes me angrier in a game than having to play another game inside the game to play the game I actually want to play.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Sproggiwood was worth the $10 it cost just before the sale :argh: and I've refunded multiple Square-Enix games for buyer's remorse.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

I completely agree. Nothing makes me angrier in a game than having to play another game inside the game to play the game I actually want to play.

This was actually the sticking point; both sides were fun, even after the premium refactor; but one side was always more fun than the other, at least to each individual person, and people either were annoyed at the town for gating progress to their rogueliking or at the roguelike for gating progress to their townbuilding, and one day we finally threw up our hands and said "well, what if we just made the town less important" (since the roguelike side was arguably better than the town, as we had prior roguelike design experience from Caves of Qud) and we made some changes like putting the 'world map' on top (for a long time, you'd drop into the town, not the adventure-pick map) and suddenly the player response went from "it's ok" to "hey, pretty good" and the more we pared back the town the better the response got. It was a super painful emotional cut to make, and it left the town feeling kind of weird, but it made the game much more focused, and suddenly people 'got' what it was about instantly, instead of being very confused by the two dissonant pieces.

Ohwell, learning pangs of baby gamedevs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Unormal posted:

This was actually the sticking point; both sides were fun, even after the premium refactor; but one side was always more fun than the other, at least to each individual person, and people either were annoyed at the town for gating progress to their rogueliking or at the roguelike for gating progress to their townbuilding, and one day we finally threw up our hands and said "well, what if we just made the town less important" (since the roguelike side was arguably better than the town, as we had prior roguelike design experience from Caves of Qud) and we made some changes like putting the 'world map' on top (for a long time, you'd drop into the town, not the adventure-pick map) and suddenly the player response went from "it's ok" to "hey, pretty good" and the more we pared back the town the better the response got. It was a super painful emotional cut to make, and it left the town feeling kind of weird, but it made the game much more focused, and suddenly people 'got' what it was about instantly, instead of being very confused by the two dissonant pieces.

Ohwell, learning pangs of baby gamedevs.

You are a dev, eh? Cool. Sprog is fantastic. One question, though, is there a way to make moving faster on Android? Like if you double tap and hold he moves quicker?

Side note, my legs went to sleep playing this on the toilet for so long. That's the benchmark of solid mobile gaming.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

You are a dev, eh? Cool. Sprog is fantastic. One question, though, is there a way to make moving faster on Android? Like if you double tap and hold he moves quicker?

Side note, my legs went to sleep playing this on the toilet for so long. That's the benchmark of solid mobile gaming.

If you're using a controller yes; but with pure touch not on the current public build. I could see about adding an on-screen 'run' toggle for touch to the Beta.

FYI here's the open Google Play beta link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood

Beta patchnotes right now:
*New feature: You can swap the compass to the left-hand side of the screen (Settings > Compass Position).
*Added controller support for Phone mode.
*Added keyboard & controller navigation in Phone mode.
*Improved controller default bindings (iOS, Android, OS X, Linux)
*Fixed: Achievements 'Sapius Wasn't Wise Enough', 'Another Dimension of Savagery', and 'Savagery is the New Wisdom' now trigger properly.
*Fixed: When you beat Surma on Savage Mode, you get Easy and Normal stars as well.
*Fixed: Wisps no longer stick on the screen after they've died.
*Fixed: Using Feeeeeeed! with Freezing Fang no longer causes an error.
*Fixed: Feeeeeeed! no longer works on bosses.
*Fixed: Cupid's Bow works properly.
*Fixed: Bizarro monsters don't incorrectly reward XP.
*Fixed: Magic Missle doesn't incorrectly trigger weapon effects multiple times.
*Fixed: Key to the Heart of Gods works only on the first shrine encountered.
*Fixed: Issue with gradual slowdown over time played
*Reduced memory usage
*Updated app icon (ios)
*Wizard hats fit better

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, it's the best mobile game I've played since 80 Days first came out.

I'm interested, does anyone else have particular go-to equipment? I've found I use the health stealing weapons and pottery armour pretty much exclusively.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Has a one made a kill me again goon guild so we can fill the pages with invites and crap?
There are daily rewards for helping guild mates with pills etc so would rather give it to goons than strange.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Has a one made a kill me again goon guild so we can fill the pages with invites and crap?
There are daily rewards for helping guild mates with pills etc so would rather give it to goons than strange.

I'm not high enough level to have that kind of money yet :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Roid666 posted:

I'm not high enough level to have that kind of money yet :(

Ahh extra 0 I thought 25,000 not 250,000

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Monument Valley is free on Amazon Underground right now, for the 2 people out there who don't own it yet.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Jetpack Joyride got updated with some fairly substantial Back to the Future stuff, which almost makes me want to reinstall it to check it out.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Kill Me Again goons, I'm currently saving up enough scratch to buy a guild. I'm a little over half way there and I'm only 30 gold bars away from being able to buy a coin pack that will take me over the edge. If you want to help me for some reason, send me a friend request (my merc's name is slouch) and send me one of your daily gifts or just hire my merc to assist you on a couple levels. I don't actually know what theg f benefits of being in a guild but it sounds like something worth doing.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
What keeps you playing Kill Me Again? I find it really boring and to be frank it feels cheap like one of the many "AAA" Asian made games.
For new players considering trying this game select the katana wielding lady, the best way to pass stages is to output as much DPS as possible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perhaps I am just being retarded, but I am trying to play 80 Days for the first time and I am stuck. I got past the initial dialogue and credits but can't seem to do anything but open the suitcase and see when the train leaves for Paris

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Poker heroes just had a massive overhaul in terms of being able to spend your gold/recruiting

You can now spend gold, something that really seemed to have no point with how quickly you can get it vs spend it reroll invasions/upgrade people, to recruit promotion pack material 1 to 3 star for 2k gold a chance.
1k gold resets it
The 5 to 7 star material will cost you gems at attempts not gold
You can also now use your gems to to grab anywhere from 2 to 6 star trainers with the cost being 2 to 5 gems a pop.

A word of warning if you spend 2k to attempt to get resources until you get all of the ones you can randomly get it does NOT auto change to the next set of random ones to try and get. You still need to spend the 1k to reset

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Konsek posted:

Yeah, it's the best mobile game I've played since 80 Days first came out.

I'm interested, does anyone else have particular go-to equipment? I've found I use the health stealing weapons and pottery armour pretty much exclusively.

How is the replayability of this game? Is it worth the $5?

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

EzEight posted:

What keeps you playing Kill Me Again? I find it really boring and to be frank it feels cheap like one of the many "AAA" Asian made games.
For new players considering trying this game select the katana wielding lady, the best way to pass stages is to output as much DPS as possible.

The game does has a bunch of weird little problems (localization, progression gating, iap prices, overbearing fanservice.)

Overall though, I have a lot of affection for the actual puzzle system of Puzzles and Dragons. Kill me Again adds just enough new ideas to the system to justify splitting my puzzle time up between two games. I think PaD is a superior game (and the best phone game of all time but I won't make that arguement in this post) but KmA does feel more exciting to play, and making progress in KmA involves much less confusion than it does in PaD. This comes at the cost of removing any sort of complexity or intrest in KmA's character building, but it does improve the new player experience overall.

The main reason I'm interested in continuing to play is the Challenge mode, where you are given a time limit and sub-tasks to complete and earn a score based on how you do, which is then put on a leaderboard that gets reset every week. There's also apparently an Invasion mode that is only available to guilds that I want to see.

All of that said, I've dropped a surprising amount of money on PaD but refuse to spend any money on this game. Mostly because of the outrageous fanservice but thats my own personal moral crusade to fight.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Zander13 posted:

A thousand times yes. I played it over and over. You can try different routes, have different interactions.. there's a ton of options. The game is very well crafted.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

slouch posted:

Kill Me Again goons, I'm currently saving up enough scratch to buy a guild. I'm a little over half way there and I'm only 30 gold bars away from being able to buy a coin pack that will take me over the edge. If you want to help me for some reason, send me a friend request (my merc's name is slouch) and send me one of your daily gifts or just hire my merc to assist you on a couple levels. I don't actually know what theg f benefits of being in a guild but it sounds like something worth doing.

Added. Mine is Roid666

Gifted you too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FredMSloniker posted:

For a moment, I thought you were asking for a party game along those lines, and I got confused trying to imagine Might and Mario Party.

:aaa:

BRB, going to go make a game!

TheSlapOfGod
Aug 28, 2008

Roid666 posted:

Added. Mine is Roid666

Gifted you too.

Added both of you. I'm under zeantao.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Zander13 posted:

80 Days or Sproggiwood? Because the answer is "very replayable" and "yes" for both.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Konsek posted:

80 Days or Sproggiwood? Because the answer is "very replayable" and "yes" for both.

Do you want to play an interactive novel that is very well written or a very well made roguelike?

Novel: 80 days
Roguelike: Sproggiwood

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

TheSlapOfGod posted:

Added both of you. I'm under zeantao.

Added you and some others that appear to have given me gifts recently.

Has anybody had any luck completing the set from district 2? I'm only missing the very last one, to replace the lovely ring they give you. Going to try again tonight and if it refuses to drop move on to district 3.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys like for PSX emulators? I can't decide between ePSXe and FPse

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm tatersaldsa in the zombie matchign 3 shooting gamey thing.

ALso whats this about sets? can you get a high value good from replaying 100 times?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Never tried ePSXe but Ive played a decent variety of games on FPSE and had no problems at all, its a really great emulator.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Drunk Badger posted:

What do you guys like for PSX emulators? I can't decide between ePSXe and FPse

I use ePSXe and never had a problem. It's a solid.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

tater_salad posted:

I'm tatersaldsa in the zombie matchign 3 shooting gamey thing.

ALso whats this about sets? can you get a high value good from replaying 100 times?

The green items that can drop from certain levels are part of a set. There is a bonus for each 2 of the set you are wearing. When selecting a stage there is a button near the top called 'Set'. Clicking that gives you a list of the levels and what item could drop.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so I need to run the level a few times for the item to drop.. or if I go into set click button for level it drops?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
It's a random drop so probably. The button is just a short cut to run that level.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I've been travelling, so I got Pixel Dungeon and I've been having fun with it, but I never ever get very far. The wiki isn't super helpful since its all random, and I can't find a decent source for strategy, just people saying they've beaten it.

Any tips/strategies? I assume most of you have beaten it too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Frush posted:

I've been travelling, so I got Pixel Dungeon and I've been having fun with it, but I never ever get very far. The wiki isn't super helpful since its all random, and I can't find a decent source for strategy, just people saying they've beaten it.

Any tips/strategies? I assume most of you have beaten it too.

I beat it a while back, but it's changed so much. First tip is if you don't get a good weapon/armor in the first couple floors just quit. Goo is a pretty good challenge if you aren't well equipped.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried out Pixel Dungeon a year or so ago and gave up after a week or two because, like you, I wasn't getting anywhere. I guess roguelikes just aren't for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hooah posted:

I tried out Pixel Dungeon a year or so ago and gave up after a week or two because, like you, I wasn't getting anywhere. I guess roguelikes just aren't for me.

rougelikes arent' for anyone they are worse than grinding for stones in stonefarmer

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Is it just me or do all the armor glyphs seem to have a negative effect? I'm not sure why I'd really want most of them.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Frush posted:

Is it just me or do all the armor glyphs seem to have a negative effect? I'm not sure why I'd really want most of them.

It's not just you, but it'd be better to say the effects are a mixed bag. And it depends on what version of Pixel Dungeon you're playing; there are about a dozen of them on the Google Play store, and I've only tried a few. My suggestion would be to apply a glyph when you have a spare set of armor; depending on the results, you may toss it, keep it, or swap between the two depending on the situation. (Anti-entropy armor, for instance, is a lot more useful on a water level.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Good lord, I started up Rymdkapsel today for the first time in ages to check out the new content, and apparently they updated it to need you to research 4 monoliths in 45 minutes when they released the steam version..? And then they tweaked it (at least on the phone version) to require 32 minutes I came within 30-60 seconds of getting it, 4 times so far... loving A.