Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ran a powershell script against our AD to discover computer objects that hadn't contacted the AD in over 180 days. Got back 1200 objects...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Oh, great. Just as I fly into Boston for my honeymoon. Stupid storm.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Coredump posted:

Ran a powershell script against our AD to discover computer objects that hadn't contacted the AD in over 180 days. Got back 1200 objects...

AD Info Free Edition has a bunch of built in reports for that too if you get lazy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sorry didn't mean to call you out specifically, I've just seen it personally with a recruiter who took my resume. This was my first time getting contacted by technical recruiters while looking for jobs and I let my excitement cloud my vision for a bit. She ended up submitting me to multiple jobs that I wasn't remotely qualified or interested in after changing my resume.

Does anyone know of any job sites that specialize in rural areas? I desperately want to get back out west to Alaska or some other mountain state but it seems like unless you know someone in a small podunk town you'll never see a job opening available.

Does Colorado not count as a mountain state? It's not cheap, but there are a couple towns with decent job markets that aren't Denver, and you can be to the mountains pretty quickly.

Actually, I take it back. There's no jobs here, don't even look. We're full anyway.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Bhodi posted:

It still might miss us, but I suspect that's less likely. Don't they veer into the coast naturally as they go north?

The models generally paint a picture of landfall in the Carolinas/Maryland by Monday:

The models are also saying it'll be either a weak CAT1 or a TS by landfall Monday:

Maybe that's just the :tinfoil: pessimist in me.

:edit: Holy gently caress I'm a weather nerd. :(

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 30, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

The models generally paint a picture of landfall in the Carolinas/Maryland by Monday:

The models are also saying it'll be either a weak CAT1 or a TS by landfall Monday:

Maybe that's just the :tinfoil: pessimist in me.

:edit: Holy gently caress I'm a weather nerd. :(
Last time a tropical storm hit New York, half the city was without power and every below-ground diesel generator (thanks post-9/11 fire codes) was under water

so I'm going to be a little bit cautious with my sprint planning this week

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does anyone know of any job sites that specialize in rural areas? I desperately want to get back out west to Alaska or some other mountain state but it seems like unless you know someone in a small podunk town you'll never see a job opening available.
Craigslist? Semi-serious answer; since you can pick specific cities/regions. You're probably already aware though.

I'm not aware of a jobs site specifically for that sort of thing though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does Colorado not count as a mountain state? It's not cheap, but there are a couple towns with decent job markets that aren't Denver, and you can be to the mountains pretty quickly.

Actually, I take it back. There's no jobs here, don't even look. We're full anyway.

Was never that high on Denver; Colorado is nice though. I have looked at Craigslist but those tend to get the bigger cities only. I've taken to looking up the local newspapers and scanning the help wanted ads there. That seems like it will produce the most promising leads. Sucks having a job that almost requires you to live near a big city but wanting nothing more than to live in a nice cabin out in the woods.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I know what you mean. Boulder and Fort Collins both have pretty good job markets if you have experience. There are also smaller towns in between the two that always have postings, but not as many. Loveland and Longmont in particular are on highways leading up into the mountains. Fort Collins kind of is as well, but there's a bigass reservoir in the way that means the commute from the mountains would be longer.

I would advise taking a look at maps of historical floods and fires before buying property, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One of my friends who was living up in the mountains and commuting down to Boulder got stranded on the mountain for like a week a few years back when a flood went through and washed away some roads leading off it. Definitely something to look out for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that would have been 2013, I think. That was a bad one. A good chunk of Lyons (up the canyon from Longmont) got taken out, Boulder got hit bad because the canyon opens up right on top of their busy downtown area. We got some flooding up farther north, but it was maybe 10 miles outside of town so it just meant a couple bridges were shut off due to high waters.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Was never that high on Denver; Colorado is nice though. I have looked at Craigslist but those tend to get the bigger cities only. I've taken to looking up the local newspapers and scanning the help wanted ads there. That seems like it will produce the most promising leads. Sucks having a job that almost requires you to live near a big city but wanting nothing more than to live in a nice cabin out in the woods.

Epic is a large technology company that is located in a small-ish town just outside of Madison, WI and it's well within commuting distance of several very small towns.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does Colorado not count as a mountain state? It's not cheap

Heh. As someone who just moved from CO to Boston, the COL in Colorado is still cheap as gently caress. I'm now paying like $600/mo more in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in the suburbs than I was paying for the mortgage on a 4 bedroom house with a big rear end yard in the heart of Fort Collins. The costs are definitely going up quickly, though. We sold our house for a lot more than we paid for it only a few years ago.

And also, as someone who just moved to Boston, this hurricane better gently caress right off :argh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

captkirk posted:

Epic is a large technology company that is located in a small-ish town just outside of Madison, WI and it's well within commuting distance of several very small towns.

Epic also doesn't hire unless you are a fresh college grad with a 3.5 or above

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yo I just got got this flash drive, it is expensive but it is baller as gently caress:

http://smile.amazon.com/Kanguru-128GB-USB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00APUYJCK

128gb, USB 3.0, physical write-protect switch that actually works. Now I won't have the drive become unbootable when I don't do a safe-eject every time, I can't spread viruses on it or have anything accidentally deleted.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

And also, as someone who just moved to Boston, this hurricane better gently caress right off :argh:
With Long Island and the colder waters of the Sound as a buffer, Boston doesn't usually get hit too hard from hurricanes and tropical storms. I think the last really significant one was Gloria back in '85, which ravaged Long Island much worse. The remnants of Hurricane Floyd dumped a lot of rain in the area back in '99 and shut a lot of things down, but didn't badly damage anything not directly impacted by floodwaters. You got drizzle from Hurricane Sandy. Just do sensible doomsday storm prep and you'll be fine.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
We're getting poured on, that should be it. Got stuck on Rt 9 for an hour today during lunch break due to flooding. I'm starting a new job downtown in Seaport on Monday, welcome to the area :cheers:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Heh. As someone who just moved from CO to Boston, the COL in Colorado is still cheap as gently caress. I'm now paying like $600/mo more in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in the suburbs than I was paying for the mortgage on a 4 bedroom house with a big rear end yard in the heart of Fort Collins. The costs are definitely going up quickly, though. We sold our house for a lot more than we paid for it only a few years ago.

Google is expanding in Boulder, it's going to get even more expensive there. I just want to get enough money quick enough to buy some land out west before it gets ridiculously expensive from all of the SF fuckers in their carreras.

Does the pay reflect it, at least? My cousin graduated back around '09 or '10, I'm pretty sure he was making close to 6 figures in his first programming job in Boston.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SaltLick posted:

Epic also doesn't hire unless you are a fresh college grad with a 3.5 or above

False. I started 3 years out of college and I'm the youngest hire in my department in a long time. Also, my GPA wasn't close to a 3.5. If you have a college degree (unfortunately required for basically every position) and can demonstrate that you are intelligent you have a decent shot of getting hired.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And they don't count an associates degree as a real college degree, the fuckers. :mad:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Roargasm posted:

We're getting poured on, that should be it. Got stuck on Rt 9 for an hour today during lunch break due to flooding. I'm starting a new job downtown in Seaport on Monday, welcome to the area :cheers:

Thanks! And congrats on your new job, too. If any Boston goons want to get :cheers: sometime, I'd be up for it. I'm working literally next door to North Station so easy access to lots of stuff.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Google is expanding in Boulder, it's going to get even more expensive there. I just want to get enough money quick enough to buy some land out west before it gets ridiculously expensive from all of the SF fuckers in their carreras.

Does the pay reflect it, at least? My cousin graduated back around '09 or '10, I'm pretty sure he was making close to 6 figures in his first programming job in Boston.

Yeah, I actually interviewed with Google at their Thornton location (and eventually got rejected because they want their sysadmin candidates to be able to pass a software engineer-level coding interview, which I was woefully unprepared for), and I know the Boulder campus is going to blow up big time in a year or two.

Honestly I don't know the Boston market that well, but I'd assume salaries are higher across the board since otherwise I don't know how you'd afford to live. It's not SF/NYC expensive, but it's bad. My new gig was definitely a major pay bump. We're also hiring up to 3 more senior Linux/network admins if anyone wants to talk :) Paid relocation to Boston available. Keep meaning to post in the job fair thread.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is giving a poo poo about doing a good job just a natural trait? I feel like I'm trying to push water uphill at the moment on projects that won't affect me if they go well or are an unmitigated disaster, in that I won't see any bonus from it going well, and I won't have to do any extra hours if it goes wrong. Logic dictates that as long as I have taken reasonable CYA precautions so when the poo poo hits the fan it doesn't come back to me, then I should just switch off and not give a gently caress.

The answer in the medium-term is to :yotj:, and I plan on doing that next year. But if anyone has some tips for just not giving a gently caress in the short-term then I'd like to hear it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Is giving a poo poo about doing a good job just a natural trait? I feel like I'm trying to push water uphill at the moment on projects that won't affect me if they go well or are an unmitigated disaster, in that I won't see any bonus from it going well, and I won't have to do any extra hours if it goes wrong. Logic dictates that as long as I have taken reasonable CYA precautions so when the poo poo hits the fan it doesn't come back to me, then I should just switch off and not give a gently caress.

The answer in the medium-term is to :yotj:, and I plan on doing that next year. But if anyone has some tips for just not giving a gently caress in the short-term then I'd like to hear it.

I like to do a good job; but sometimes get roadblocked up the chain.

CYA first and foremost.
Then, when in situations like you describe - I prioritize other projects, systems automation, and find things to improve. Or map our grand projects I want to do when we have the time/money.

Basically: I hate doing a lovely job but when things align to set me up for that; I'll document my stance and find something else useful to do. Granted its not a frequent occurrence; if it were a regular thing for me I'd probably lose my mind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh god, our lead network administrator is just terrible about giving a poo poo. I get that when you're in that position tickets aren't your first priority. But if your team regularly has multiple tickets sitting without a first response for a week, there is a problem. Unless we get flooded, my team gets to everything within 20 minutes, usually under 5.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that at least half of everyone you meet has a distinct goal of doing as minimal work as possible. The concept of "a job well done" is dying more and more each day.

Maybe that's just my cynicism talking based on who I often have to work with, though.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that at least half of everyone you meet has a distinct goal of doing as minimal work as possible. The concept of "a job well done" is dying more and more each day.

Maybe that's just my cynicism talking based on who I often have to work with, though.

I see it every day and I've come to a similar conclusion..

I've been going to my director every week stating "This memo we signed stating we wont allow contractor laptops on our network is being violated. Would you prefer to address this at a management level, or would you like my team to administratively restrict them from connecting?"

(note: this will inconvenience these contractors noticeably)

Boss: "Hmmm. Let's address this when I'm back from vacation in November"
I've been bringing this to his attention since June

:psypop:

In summary, people just don't want to deal with things. Be it work, or things that might stir the pot in any conceivable way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Our XP migration plan was to discuss how many XP machines were on our network and say that we should have a plan

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
And then to accidentally nuke all of them so that it's less of an upgrade plan and more of a buy new poo poo plan.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah I'm looking for way small towns like 5,000 or under. Actually bigger places Madison size wouldn't bother me to much either. I just prefer living in a rural lifestyle, and after spending 5 years in the Alaskan bush and moving to the twin cities I miss it even more. The problem is that most towns that size have about 10 it jobs and all hiring is done by knowing the right person. I'm fully expecting to take a pay cut too, the lower cost of living would more than make up for it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah I'm looking for way small towns like 5,000 or under. Actually bigger places Madison size wouldn't bother me to much either. I just prefer living in a rural lifestyle, and after spending 5 years in the Alaskan bush and moving to the twin cities I miss it even more. The problem is that most towns that size have about 10 it jobs and all hiring is done by knowing the right person. I'm fully expecting to take a pay cut too, the lower cost of living would more than make up for it.

You can live in Buttfuck, Wisconsin and commute all of 10 minutes to Epic.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How in the hell do you get a new job when you have zero PTO or vacation days accrued and can only interview after 5-6PM or on weekends?

I have decided I really don't want to be here in a small business MSP and am already looking for an exit. Just hit my 60 day probationary period too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got put in consideration for a position that would be doing some XP migrations. The pay would be okay, but the fact that they're talking about migrating to 7 like it's a new thing worries me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SaltLick posted:

How in the hell do you get a new job when you have zero PTO or vacation days accrued and can only interview after 5-6PM or on weekends?

I have decided I really don't want to be here in a small business MSP and am already looking for an exit. Just hit my 60 day probationary period too.

Fake sick. Or calls over lunch if you can swing it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SaltLick posted:

Can you take unpaid leave?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The director of IT just got terminated.

Me IRL:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Madison is an awesome city to visit on the weekend with a great farmers market, two lakes, and football gamedays. Such a great area plus Chicago and the cities are both doable drives

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Plus a shitload of microbrews if that's your thing.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got put in consideration for a position that would be doing some XP migrations. The pay would be okay, but the fact that they're talking about migrating to 7 like it's a new thing worries me.
What would you expect them to be migrating to instead?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It was more the tone of voice. They're also migrating some 7 installs to 8, so I'm not sure why they don't just go to 8 wholesale in that case. Do they have a certain amount of 7 licenses that they don't want to waste or something?

Is a huge amount of churn in upper management in the department a bad sign? Both the head of the support desk (who hasn't been replaced in 4 months) and the director of IT have left within the 6 months I have been here. One with 2 days notice, one with no notice. I'm thinking that's a bad sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The director of IT just got terminated.

Me IRL:

The exec over my group got canned a few weeks back; it's been tough going, but all is not bad. Of course, I'm still responding to a recruiter that is offering me a director level gig at another firm, but yeah.