Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Fat Samurai posted:

A couple of posts in the Grognard Games thread made me wonder. Are there any wargames about WWI? Trench warfare doesn't seem a good setting to base a game on.

The speed of a dude walking didn't change much so on the tactical level there really shouldn't be any more trouble making a ww1 game vs making a ww2 game. I would def buy a ww1 combat commander.

They just released a ww1 command and colors game as well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2016

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

[...]

I want to own this because I'm sick and need help:
* Der Weltkrieg (SPW) -- the monsterest monster of WWI (well regarded as being the best sim of the period)

If wanting to own and play this means being sick, then I welcome being sick. Let us be brothers in arms! How long would one play on this?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

dtkozl posted:

I would def buy a ww1 combat commander.
Here you go.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Heroes of Normandie (a board wargame) is the latest Slytherine release for PC and just came out at $19.99. It looks really good, and even has a "roguelike" mode, where you keep playing with the same group again and again until they die. Kinda cool.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Okay so I'm about to pull the tigger on Twilight Struggle and A Distant Plain.

The site says they don't charge you till it ships. Any idea for these two? ADP already made P500, and I'm are TS won't take long.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Check the GMT newsletter for their shipping schedule. There is a link on their frontpage. If you don't see it, it will be a while.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

The Mantis posted:

The site says they don't charge you till it ships. Any idea for these two? ADP already made P500, and I'm are TS won't take long.

ADP is next February at the earliest, according to last month's newsletter. Probably next summer. Who knows on TS, they reprint that pretty often.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TS should be out in November. Yeah, COIN reprints are slated for earlyish 2016, but that's no guarantee.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I just got a TS Beta invite! Guess I'm not getting much done tonight.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Mantis posted:

Perhaps you should back Sekigahara to cover your block game bases and Cuba Libre for a fine COIN introduction as well, yes this would be a good plan.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

T-Bone posted:

Perhaps you should back Sekigahara to cover your block game bases and Cuba Libre for a fine COIN introduction as well, yes this would be a good plan.

Do exactly this.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
lol all you non Sekigahara owners.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I know, right.

Just finished up a game today with a coworker. I won as Tokugawa--my first victory over said coworker--by a single point. I had castle majority, he had resource majority.

It was looking like Ishida's game all the way to the end of week six--he had both castles and resources for the first six weeks. He'd fended off the early Date/Uesugi fight and managed to keep a harrying force behind my lines, and he had managed an Okazaki breakthrough early on, but didn't have the manpower to press through before I retook Gifu with the Red Devils. But somehow I collected a Tokugawa death-star at Ueda, then feinted a retreat from Gifu to Kyosu when I had a strong Toku hand. He took the bait and surged out of Kyoto to trap me between Gifu and Okazaki, but I force-marched up the Nakasendo with the Tokugawa and caught him off-guard. (Seriously, this force was ridiculous, including Ieyasu, a pair of Toku threes, and a pair of Toku arquebusiers, with enough special cards to deploy two fusillades. And I'd pulled together a golden political hand. Like, I think it was a seven Toku flush. Came out to like 33 impact.)

That said, Tokugawa are now three for three in my games with said coworker. I'm starting to worry for Ishida's viability. Though it's probably just that we've still been learning the proper early game, which is where I think Ishida needs to shine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

God loving dammit I want to play that game so bad.

Thankfully I should get to at the con in November, after which I'm sure I will back it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Just back it now, and if you hate it, back off the p500

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

Heroes of Normandie (a board wargame) is the latest Slytherine release for PC and just came out at $19.99. It looks really good, and even has a "roguelike" mode, where you keep playing with the same group again and again until they die. Kinda cool.

The roguelike mode is basically a six mission campaign with a persistent, buyable force that you can buy things for between missions. The missions are not randomly generated, though they are fairly hard to complete without losing much. HoN is actually a very brutal game overall.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

That said, Tokugawa are now three for three in my games with said coworker. I'm starting to worry for Ishida's viability. Though it's probably just that we've still been learning the proper early game, which is where I think Ishida needs to shine.

This is sort of the conclusion I came to as well, though I've only played twice, once as each side, both times Tokugawa winning. Ishida can't really afford to play passively early on it feels like.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's been a long time since I last fiddled with Seki (like, around its premiere), but wasn't there a lame balance hotfix of losing sieges giving you extra cards, handwaved as "uhh, bushido"?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

It's been a long time since I last fiddled with Seki (like, around its premiere), but wasn't there a lame balance hotfix of losing sieges giving you extra cards, handwaved as "uhh, bushido"?

Didn't know that was a change, but yea, besieged side gets to draw one card per unit lost instead of per two units lost.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

taser rates posted:

Didn't know that was a change, but yea, besieged side gets to draw one card per unit lost instead of per two units lost.

By saying hotfix I meant that IIRC it was a rule added sometime in playtests to reduce slippery slope or something. It shipped that way, but was a maths over theme addition.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I started looking at ASL... Why. I already have enough games I don't play.

Starter kit 1 is basically like free crack, right? Just enough to get you hooked?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

By saying hotfix I meant that IIRC it was a rule added sometime in playtests to reduce slippery slope or something. It shipped that way, but was a maths over theme addition.

Getting punched repeatedly as a way of powering up is thematic as hell and happens in every japanese work of fiction worth reading/watching.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Frisk posted:

I started looking at ASL... Why. I already have enough games I don't play.

Starter kit 1 is basically like free crack, right? Just enough to get you hooked?

Basically. Starter Kit #1 is a way to try ASL without spending a ton of money initially.

COOL CORN had an ASL LP thread going if you wanna see how some of it works. Alternatively, check out VASSAL's module and go from there.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Basically. Starter Kit #1 is a way to try ASL without spending a ton of money initially.

COOL CORN had an ASL LP thread going if you wanna see how some of it works. Alternatively, check out VASSAL's module and go from there.

Could I jump in at sk3? It has infantry, field guns and vehicles, and sounds like a better way for me to cut my teeth. Or should I stick to sk1 and follow the progression?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Frisk posted:

Could I jump in at sk3? It has infantry, field guns and vehicles, and sounds like a better way for me to cut my teeth. Or should I stick to sk1 and follow the progression?

You don't have to start with SK#1, its mainly just a way to ease into the rules without dropping a ton of ordnance, vehicles, squad weapons, etc, etc, etc - onto a new player and reduce to overwhelming feeling they might get. I've yet to use my SK#3, but it looks pretty straightforward for a guy like myself who has played 2 games against other people, neither including vehicles.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

The first scenario or two in SK3 are pure infantry, so you'd still be able to build your way up. I know it's tempting to just jump in the deep end, and a lot of people do, but I would suggest getting the infantry rules down pat.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The whole SK thing seems like it's poorly thought out and/or a racket. I think they could have just printed one kit, with rules color coded by infantry/ordnance/vehicles and had two scenarios with each in increasing complexity. They might be able to keep the damned things in print then, too. It's like they wanted to (rightfully) abandon the programmed instruction from Squad Leader but instead they just stretched it out to three products. Then they published and expansion and a HASL to fill it out into what is functionally a separate product line.

My personal opinion, keeping in mind I don't really play ASL, I just learned enough to realize I didn't want to spend that much money on it, is that the core of the engine is a bit dull and it relies on chrome for spice. SK1 stripped out stuff like heat of battle that makes infantry combat actually interesting. If you look hard enough you can find pdfs of both the SK and actual rulebooks floating around and combine those with VASL to see if you actually like it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

In a moment of weakness I committed to a P500 for GMTs silver bayonet, terrible mistake or not?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

In a moment of weakness I committed to a P500 for GMTs silver bayonet, terrible mistake or not?

I was part of the beta testing before my life got too busy. It's a really cool system, I'd say good choice.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I really need another 245 people to P500 Lion of Judah

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bullbar posted:

Despite having no one to play with I'm slowly working my way though the entire list.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Bullbar posted:

I'm already on there. I read a book on Wingate (crazy dude) and another on the actual Ethiopian war (Prevail, I highly recommend it) so I really hope it gets made.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Bullbar posted:

I LIVE IN ETHIOPIA WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED THIS EXISTED??

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This is going to be a "what should I get" post.

I need something niche that's between Risk and Command & Colors. I'm looking for the next step up from Risk: Lots of blocks/soldiers, a large map, dice or cards to determine victories, soft strategy, but not without some forward thinking.

Games that didn't work: Small World & 1775 Rebellion (he only wants to play one faction), Memoir '44 (the cards determining which units could move was too random), Axis & Allies (too long, maybe something in the 1-2 hour range).

What the hell else is out there? I couldn't appease this player with my nearly $600 collection of Command & Colors games, 1775 was outed during the rules explanation. Risk Legacy "sounds dumb". I have others like Labyrinth: War of Terror and Andean Abyss which I don't even want to mention to him.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Stratego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
It's almost to that point.