Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

nerve posted:

I have 3 Tylt Vu's and a car Vu. Whyyyyyy do they do this to me.

Vu should have seen this coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Sucks I can't throw my grip-tape lined phone anywhere in my home made of Qi charging mats

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Use velcro instead of grip tape. Apply velcro to Qi charger. That weird guy who throws his phone can fastball his phone right onto the charger.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Use velcro instead of grip tape. Apply velcro to Qi charger. That weird guy who throws his phone can fastball his phone right onto the charger.

:vince:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

But then how will I constantly wake Ambient Display to check my non-existent notifications from friends I don't have (due to them not being able to come over and use my Qi chargers)?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Someone make a Nerf phone

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Great carrying device too

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Great carrying device too

I laughed way too hard at this

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...nt-fast-enough/

The 5X doesn't have Electronic Image Stabilization, 240 FPS slow motion video, or Smart Burst because of the processor, according to that AMA.

This means the Nexus 6 won't get slow-motion or Smart Burst.

What's amusing is that someone pointed out that the Moto X Pure Edition has no trouble with stabilization using the exact same processor.

This also means the 5X has no stabilization of any kind.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Fire sale on Nexus 6 32GB, $300: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nexus-6-XT1103-Latest-Model-32GB-Unlocked-Smartphone/171945826282

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 5X doesn't have Electronic Image Stabilization, 240 FPS slow motion video, or Smart Burst because of the processor, according to that AMA.

What's amusing is that someone pointed out that the Moto X Pure Edition has no trouble with stabilization using the exact same processor.

Things that Samsung phones have been doing for a couple of years now. Given their hilariously awful explanation for the lack of wireless charging I'm taking this explanation with a grain of salt.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

Things that Samsung phones have been doing for a couple of years now: using Exynos processors instead of Snapdragon.

Fixed that for you; Samsung's an outlier in this conversation.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not quite, before this generation it was pretty common for American variants of the Galaxy line to use Snapdragon processors.

E: unless you're seriously suggesting the new Nexus has a shittier processor than a Galaxy from 2013.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

This is like the 4th time Qualitycellz has offered them at this price. Great deal, actually for anyone that's interested. They are a good seller. Warranty is there even though it may not directly say, they just don't guarantee it (they sell a shitton of phones).

KoB
May 1, 2009
Got my new Chromecast today. That was fast.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ordered some cheap Chinese type-C adapters off Ebay, hope they don't explode. Oh god it's going to be a adapter juggling mess like back when I switched from Mini to Micro :ohdear:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Ordered some cheap Chinese type-C adapters off Ebay, hope they don't explode. Oh god it's going to be a adapter juggling mess like back when I switched from Mini to Micro :ohdear:

In B4 Google comes out and says "fast charging over USB-C requires a special cable that only we sell for $15/pop."

I know this won't happen, but I'd be a bit leery of a thin 30 gauge knockoff cable with that much power passing through it. The struggle will be real, however. Can't wait to see the photos of broken ports from drunks shoving a micro cable into the bay then demanding Google replace their "defective" phone (the usual XDA defect witchhunt thread comes to mind).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hotsauce posted:

In B4 Google comes out and says "fast charging over USB-C requires a special cable that only we sell for $15/pop."

I know this won't happen, but I'd be a bit leery of a thin 30 gauge knockoff cable with that much power passing through it. The struggle will be real, however. Can't wait to see the photos of broken ports from drunks shoving a micro cable into the bay then demanding Google replace their "defective" phone (the usual XDA defect witchhunt thread comes to mind).

I figure $6 for some adapters I can use on all my auxiliary chargers is cheap and sufficient enough to tide me over until non-poo poo type-C cables are cheaply available on Monoprice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WhyteRyce posted:

I figure $6 for some adapters I can use on all my auxiliary chargers is cheap and sufficient enough to tide me over until non-poo poo type-C cables are cheaply available on Monoprice.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colour-...ds=usb-c+4+pack

Four USB cables for $20, that's only $5 a cable, and you'll need atleast three (bed side, car, work) anyways.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Four USB cables for $20, that's only $5 a cable, and you'll need atleast three (bed side, car, work) anyways.

For fast charging, will we be able to use our current wall adapters with these cables?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Goddammit I forgot about the car. Any goon approved type C car chargers? Preferably that sell to Canadia? In the old "used to be for cigarettes" plug.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
After much deliberation, I preordered the nexus 6P. It's gonna be like a month and a half before it ships, so I got plenty of time to second guess my decision.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KoB posted:

Got my new Chromecast today. That was fast.
Mine is supposed to show up tomorrow. Since it wasn't scheduled to arrive until next Thursday, I'm happy with that.

How's the wifi performance on it? My gen 1 chrome is loving SLOW on network performance and is basically worthless as is. Hoping the new one with 5Ghz .11ac will be a beast in that regard.

beerinator posted:

For fast charging, will we be able to use our current wall adapters with these cables?
Doubtful. You'll need USB PD (power delivery) 15W plugs to get full speed charging.
I'll wait for Anker to come out with a full line of wall/car/battery plugs with native type-C and fast charging built in.

The weird thing is 5V 3A (15W) isn't one of the official PD spec power rates, as far as I know.

wiki posted:

USB Type-C devices also support power currents of 1.5 A and 3.0 A over the 5 V power bus in addition to baseline 900 mA
Devices can request higher currents and supply voltages from compliant hosts – up to 2 A at 5 V (for a power consumption of up to 10 W), and optionally up to 3 A or 5 A at either 12 V (36 W or 60 W) or 20 V (60 W or 100 W).
So basically, wtf? Are those 2 completely different pins in use?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 1, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Goddammit I forgot about the car. Any goon approved type C car chargers? Preferably that sell to Canadia? In the old "used to be for cigarettes" plug.

I've only seen one janky rear end looking one on Amazon. Going to wait until Anker or someone has one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For charging times, is USB C expected to be faster or slower than Quick Charge?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Hughmoris posted:

For charging times, is USB C expected to be faster or slower than Quick Charge?

If you believe Google's claims, faster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

C can deliver 100 watts at 20 volts at max output. Quickcharge 2.0 can deliver up to 60 watts at 20v.

So, USB C could charge faster in theory. However, you aren't going to charge at a constant rate so signaling between the device and charger can make a difference too. Keep in mind that there are no differences in max output between QC 2.0 and 3.0 but the latter can charge faster due to more adaptive profiles as the battery fills up.

I also don't know that a phone battery could take 5A at 20v for very long if at all, so the max rate may not matter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hopefully this is the end of annoying rear end "this only charged >500mah on iPhone" issues with buying chargers

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Won't do poo poo about that. USB spec has been able to negotiate for more power for a long time. If a charger only responds to Apple's proprietary signaling for more power, it will only charge apple devices at a faster rate.

That said, are there really 3rd party chargers out there anymore that only charge faster for Apple products? I haven't run into one for awhile.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Won't do poo poo about that. USB spec has been able to negotiate for more power for a long time. If a charger only responds to Apple's proprietary signaling for more power, it will only charge apple devices at a faster rate.

That said, are there really 3rd party chargers out there anymore that only charge faster for Apple products? I haven't run into one for awhile.

I thought the reason why Apple implemented the proprietary signaling was because there wasn't a well defined specification for power negotiation at the time? Or at least that it allowed for more fine grain control. I've only purchased Anker charger recently so I haven't had to worry about that recently. Except the one time I ordered the white version of their 4 port travel charger which did not have that support, unlike the black version

I'll take the cheapo adapters over cables for now. Given that I still have a bajillion other devices that still use micro-USB it's less cables and clutter for me to just keep some adapters around my other chargers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pro-tip for UK goons: Carphone Warehouse somehow have N5Xes for £30/40 less than the Google store, with a free Chromecast Audio bundled, and they're expected to ship sooner than most peoples Google pre-orders.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-nexus-5x-16gb
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-nexus-5x-32gb

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 1, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThermoPhysical posted:

OIS is a serious loss, electronic stabilization is basically garbage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, you know how they showed off payback controls for active display on the new X? We'll, I've been enjoying them quite a bit. But I didn't even connect the dots until now that it's game changing when it comes to casting stuff to a Chromecast, like netflix.

Seriously though, this is such a loving polished thing that it's almost criminal that Google hasn't licensed it from moto to include in AOSP.

Now I can't help but think how awesome it would be to have a tablet with active display like this.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

grack posted:

OIS is a serious loss, electronic stabilization is basically garbage.

According to the article it won't even have that, which I find hard to believe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Samsung used Snapdragons in the West until last year and still managed to have electronic image stabilization on them. It's a pretty weak justification by Google. Same as how the super-image chip made it impossible to use OIS or why they charge about 100 € more in Europe than USD in € + 20 % VAT would be, even beating Apple in the overcharge game. Or why they couldn't add wireless charging. Pretty disappointed with Google this year to be honest. Well, outside Chromecast that is.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Decius posted:

Same as how the super-image chip made it impossible to use OIS or why they charge about 100 € more in Europe than USD in € + 20 % VAT would be, even beating Apple in the overcharge game.

The markups on the phones this time around is shocking.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/prices-nexus-5x-nexus-6p-across-globe/

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Would it be cheaper to buy one in the US and have it shipped over cause if so that's dumb as gently caress

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Would it be cheaper to buy one in the US and have it shipped over cause if so that's dumb as gently caress

The bands in America are all different though (at least compared to Australia), and there are two different models of phone for America and international, so it would be suboptimal. But yeah, way cheaper. I nearly did that last year with the Nexus 6 (when the dollar was close to parity and it was still a thousand dollar phone). I had someone in this thread offer to do it actually.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LionYeti posted:

Well poo poo, getting to the point where it's be cheaper to fly over to the USA for a night.

It was certainly true for apple laptops a while back that I could get a return flight to new York, stay a night, buy a laptop and fly home for less than the price difference, albeit only if I dodge the vat.

Not about to do that, but still.

Shipping from the US is not too bad via existing postbox services, though you should try to pre pay the VAT - the add on handling fees from UPS have been nasty in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

The bands in America are all different though (at least compared to Australia), and there are two different models of phone for America and international, so it would be suboptimal. But yeah, way cheaper. I nearly did that last year with the Nexus 6 (when the dollar was close to parity and it was still a thousand dollar phone). I had someone in this thread offer to do it actually.

It's only LTE Band 28 which is handy to have but not essential.