Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

As much as I really want you to :yotj:, I don't want these stories to end.

You're in luck! Bonus tale today:

Ticket comes in that one of the reporters can't print from the program they use to create show scripts. There's another computer in there with the same problem, and the problem has been there for over a year. I've reinstalled the printer, reinstalled the program, reinstalled Windows, but nothing fixes it. The creator of the program offers zero support, so I'm out of ideas on it. Guess who uses that computer? If you guessed the creepy sexual harassment anchor, you'd be correct.

Anyways, I go in and start looking at the reporter's computer, and creepy anchor pops his head up.

:pervert: "Hey, larchesdanrew, maybe when you're done with that one, you can come get mine printing."
:v: "We've been over this, I've worked and worked and worked on that one and I cannot figure out what the problem is. I've shown you how to export the file to print from another program."
:pervert: "What if I told you that you have the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen?"

:stare: from literally everyone in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

You're in luck! Bonus tale today:

Ticket comes in that one of the reporters can't print from the program they use to create show scripts. There's another computer in there with the same problem, and the problem has been there for over a year. I've reinstalled the printer, reinstalled the program, reinstalled Windows, but nothing fixes it. The creator of the program offers zero support, so I'm out of ideas on it. Guess who uses that computer? If you guessed the creepy sexual harassment anchor, you'd be correct.

Anyways, I go in and start looking at the reporter's computer, and creepy anchor pops his head up.

:pervert: "Hey, larchesdanrew, maybe when you're done with that one, you can come get mine printing."
:v: "We've been over this, I've worked and worked and worked on that one and I cannot figure out what the problem is. I've shown you how to export the file to print from another program."
:pervert: "What if I told you that you have the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen?"

In a minute you can see how pretty my brown eye is too.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

larchesdanrew posted:

Stupid question, but is it an ip printer, or connected via usb(or god forbid serial)?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Just Offscreen posted:

Stupid question, but is it an ip printer, or connected via usb(or god forbid serial)?

It's networked. If anyone has any ideas that lead to a fix, I'll send you beer money. The original computer cannot print from the program, but it can print from every other program, and it affects every login on the computer. The newest computer with the issue only affects one login, cannot print from the program if you print normally, but if you do a print preview you can print from that window.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Just Offscreen posted:

Please be ip print server connected to it via serial.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Sounds hosed. You can ping the printer from both computers, right? Do a test print?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

It's networked. If anyone has any ideas that lead to a fix, I'll send you beer money. The original computer cannot print from the program, but it can print from every other program, and it affects every login on the computer. The newest computer with the issue only affects one login, cannot print from the program if you print normally, but if you do a print preview you can print from that window.

Try it from another account on that computer? reinstall that program?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

Sounds hosed. You can ping the printer from both computers, right? Do a test print?

Yep, like I said, both computers can print with abandon from literally any program but that particular one.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Try it from another account on that computer? reinstall that program?

Mentioned that in my original post. I've reinstalled the program, the print drivers, and even did a clean install of Windows.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well, the only thing left to do is change what you haven't yet- replace the PC, or try that pc on a different ethernet port.

And what exactly is it doing when it can't print? Is it giving you an error, hanging while trying to print, or acting like it sent the print job?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

larchesdanrew posted:

I remote into her computer and she sends the report to me. I get the email, and it's just a link. I click it, it opens up, everything is fine.

Now she's all pissed that it's not our problem, apparently. Here's a wild idea, have him check with his own IT people and stop immediately blaming me for every single problem that comes up around here.

"Printer's broke, it's not letting me scan anything and there's no PDF"
Check user's mailbox, sure enough email from the Xerox scanner providing a download link, they just didn't have the foresight to actually click the drat thing.

"Is the E-mail system down again? I can't send or receive any E-mails"
User can receive external messages, user had misspelled recipient address

:byodood:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Does the program keep settings per user (if you have to log in to the program in addition to the computer), per os account, or per computer? If you have a system where it's printing for some people, but not others, there might be some configuration difference between them.

On the semi-functional system, can it print if you make a new account?

It sounds like it's not a driver, os, or connectivity problem, but a "software is dumb" problem.

Also:

Just Offscreen posted:

And what exactly is it doing when it can't print? Is it giving you an error, hanging while trying to print, or acting like it sent the print job?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Yep, like I said, both computers can print with abandon from literally any program but that particular one.

Mentioned that in my original post. I've reinstalled the program, the print drivers, and even did a clean install of Windows.

Does a PDF printer work?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Super Slash posted:

"Printer's broke, it's not letting me scan anything and there's no PDF"
Check user's mailbox, sure enough email from the Xerox scanner providing a download link, they just didn't have the foresight to actually click the drat thing.

"Is the E-mail system down again? I can't send or receive any E-mails"
User can receive external messages, user had misspelled recipient address

:byodood:

I need to craft some sort of troubleshooting rubric with levels of "shits hosed." And then whatever the user says, just dial it back two or three levels.

"My computer won't do anything" will translate to "Sometimes it takes Outlook a few extra seconds to open" or really anything that isn't "computer isn't doing anything"

OB_Juan posted:

Does the program keep settings per user (if you have to log in to the program in addition to the computer), per os account, or per computer? If you have a system where it's printing for some people, but not others, there might be some configuration difference between them.

On the semi-functional system, can it print if you make a new account?

It sounds like it's not a driver, os, or connectivity problem, but a "software is dumb" problem.

Also:

The program loads settings from a server using the domain login. When you click print, it just flashes its normal "we're printing this" box for a second and acts like everything is kosher, but nothing ever goes to the printer. Setting to a PDF printer does the same thing, or any other printer on the network.

I'm going to sit down all day tomorrow and try to figure it out.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 30, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

As much as I really want you to :yotj:, I don't want these stories to end.

Don't worry, even when Larches finally :yotj: (notice I said when, not if, hint hint), someone else will emerge and start bringing great stories. These threads have always had one person or another with a neverending supply of :psyduck: stories, and when they got new jobs someone else has always stepped up to fill the void.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

After Dick Trauma, blackswordca and Larchesandrew, who will be the bearer of the cross?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had a teacher call in twice today, and both times immediately hand off to a student so I could teach them how to do a thing.

I figure if I'm actively teaching students now, I should at least get a teacher's salary and benefits package, but I don't think that will fly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

In a minute you can see how pretty my brown eye is too.

I don't even have blue eyes

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

The program loads settings from a server using the domain login. When you click print, it just flashes its normal "we're printing this" box for a second and acts like everything is kosher, but nothing ever goes to the printer. Setting to a PDF printer does the same thing, or any other printer on the network.

Yeah, then my only guess without knowing anything about The Program would be "settings are hosed for some accounts but not others". Which is admittedly, not overly helpful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

spankmeister posted:

After Dick Trauma, blackswordca and Larchesandrew, who will be the bearer of the cross?

Do not forget the Father of Tickets, Midelne and his Tales of Rod... :rip: <ICO>

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

Yeah, then my only guess without knowing anything about The Program would be "settings are hosed for some accounts but not others". Which is admittedly, not overly helpful.

You literally know as much about this program as I do. It's really, really outdated, and there is no documentation or support for it. We have three different servers labelled as having to do with it, but I cannot get supervisor to show me how it all interacts. I know enough about it to help get the graphics system connected, but anything else is me poking around in it. It doesn't even have menus to access settings.

It's a complete loving mystery to me.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

Sometimes I think me, but considering my job is straight-up 8:30-5:30 and I never ever have to do on-call, things aren't that bad.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

larchesdanrew posted:

I don't even have blue eyes

Isn't this the dude who is basically a blind sonuvabitch and trying to cover it up by accusing y'all of keeping the lights low?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

You literally know as much about this program as I do. It's really, really outdated, and there is no documentation or support for it. We have three different servers labelled as having to do with it, but I cannot get supervisor to show me how it all interacts. I know enough about it to help get the graphics system connected, but anything else is me poking around in it. It doesn't even have menus to access settings.

Uuuuuugh lovely black box you HAVE to support. Uuuuugh. Congrats on editing an ini file by hand with no docs. Does supervisor even know how it all works? If so, super lovely not to explain it. Maybe escalate all related tickets to them until they get tired of it and pass the info to you?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

OB_Juan posted:

Uuuuuugh lovely black box you HAVE to support. Uuuuugh. Congrats on editing an ini file by hand with no docs. Does supervisor even know how it all works? If so, super lovely not to explain it. Maybe escalate all related tickets to them until they get tired of it and pass the info to you?
Giving tickets to the CE does nothing but increase the average age of all the tickets in the system.

Also it probably increases the size of Larches' liver.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

This sounds a lot like the request is being recieved properly, but not sent out to the correct place, or recieved by it.

When in doubt, the CE probably sabotaged it. Is there firewall bullshit that could be set to interfere with this one specific application, and/or the possibility that the settings file on the server are corrupt somehow?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

This sounds a lot like the request is being recieved properly, but not sent out to the correct place, or recieved by it.

When in doubt, the CE probably sabotaged it. Is there firewall bullshit that could be set to interfere with this one specific application, and/or the possibility that the settings file on the server are corrupt somehow?

Both may be likely. We keep firewalls turned off altogether and in all my years of searching I've never found the mythical settings files. It's all cryptic bullshit proprietary files.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 1, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

Sounds like some profile based network printing poo poo where it's not actually printing (thing) from the PC you're on, but it's doing it from the black box servers instead. And the user profiles are probably somehow involved in this fuckery with bad settings but who knows if they're in a database table, an xml file, plain text somewhere, etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zero VGS posted:

That's not true, they're simply sending an email using a guessed internal email as the "sender" and their own email as the "reply-to" in the header.

I've gotten a ton of these from lots of different gmail accounts. All of them were pretending to be our CEO, talking to our CFO, which means someone did the Google-Fu to target the wire transfer request very well.

It was freaking the gently caress out of CFO, who I told to ignore it. He kept flipping his poo poo about it and I noticed that the email address being spoofed used the full first name of our CEO, which isn't a valid email; he uses the short form of his name. So, I created a rule to redirect any emails from that sender to my inbox, so I can just keep tabs on the frequency and stop everyone else from complaining. I actually went and flagged them on Gmail's spam form several times but I don't think anyone reads those.

I've encountered these where the foreign e-mail came during an e-mail conversation. You'd be an idiot not to take the precaution that one person in the chain has their account compromised and investigate thoroughly.

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Could there be some settings in the registry? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE if it's the same behaviour across all users on a system? Compare anything you find against the other machine that behaves differently.

If no dice, get Wireshark running on the servers and PCs to monitor and compare traffic.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

These are all good ideas. Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty confident about tomorrow, except the fact that I'll be working next to rapey anchor the whole time.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
A clean OS install has already been tried, so registry and anything local is likely a blind alley. Can it print to a file?

Also, seconding "escalation to" the CE. Make sure to keep reminding those users that you've talked to him about it, and that you don't have access otherwise you'd be happy to help vOv

Send them an occasional email reminding them that you're still looking into their issue, and that you've eliminated local issues, so server analysis is the next step. Make sure to cc the ce :v:

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 1, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For the people who have been trying to join the LinkedIn group, have you been able to get approved in or are you pending?

There's a "new people" post so please say hi.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm still pending, but I made it into the ticketmaster group :shrug:

Also I've apparently been pending my college's alumni group since 2010.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm still pending, but I made it into the ticketmaster group :shrug:

Same.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I'm still pending as well, but my profile doesn't really have many goony indicators other than a link to my github profile with a few apps I did for the small app thread.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, I'll see if I can get myself promoted to a group admin or something.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

larchesdanrew posted:

Both may be likely. We keep firewalls turned off altogether and in all my years of searching I've never found the mythical settings files. It's all cryptic bullshit proprietary files.

Wireshark is your forever friend. Use it with reckless abandon whenever possible, especially for bullshit like this.

poo poo, even netstat should give you an idea of if it's even communicating with the printer/print server.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

These are all good ideas. Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty confident about tomorrow, except the fact that I'll be working next to rapey anchor the whole time.

Something else to try if the program is an older program or something equally kludgy is to try redirecting the network printer to an LPT port.

NET USE LPT1 \\server\shared_printer

alternately use Printfil to capture PRN: or LPT1-9 forward it to USB or other printers

(When a network printer is installed, it typically creates a printer port of "Standard TCP/IP port" type. Some programs stumble over that and automatically dump their job to LPT1 without any error checking. You could shove the networked printer into LPT1 and spoof the job into thinking LPT1 is still local instead of a networked device.)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh god this gave me the dry heaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

larchesdanrew posted:

have

have you tried printing?

• Locked thread