Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Haquer posted:

He did this same thing early in the MCC thread "oh no man this time it's a clean slate, don't bring up previous games by the company to judge the new one" poo poo.

Just ignore him, halo is halo is halo.

If you are suggesting there needs to be a catch-all cross-platform multi-flop encompassing Halotank thread I am al for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you are suggesting there needs to be a catch-all cross-platform multi-flop encompassing Halotank thread I am al for that.

Dickblain the thread spoa

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

shadow puppet of a posted:

plenty of room in the sharktank for that

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

univbee posted:

Games that are only fun if you're good at them are dead, bro. The 99% of us who suck have moved on to games that are still fun when you suck at them, like Call of Duty and Destiny and their respective PlayStation-exclusive content.

I'm actually being serious. Like, H5 already has a dismal enough outlook since it's on an underperforming (sales-wise, not the other-wise) console, is being made by the company it's said killed the franchise, following up on a game which was arguably the most technically disastrous video game product launched since games were played in DOS, yet highly praised in critic reviews so everyone is extremely on the defensive to avoid being taken for a ride on the 343 Express again. But it's also a game which is basically the grognard game of FPSes and proudly slaps a crude "No N00bs allowed" sign on their clubhouse. Which is fine in its own right but don't act so shocked that people either explicitly reject this or just shrug since it's not as if they have to wait more than 2 weeks for another shootmans.

I'm surprised you feel the "No n00bs allowed" sentiment. My friends and I play occasionally (probably once a month or so) and despite the fact that I very rarely play shooters and even more rarely use a controller, I'm pretty competitive at the Action Sack games. I can see where you're coming from on the super competitive slayer games, but Action Sack is good silly fun, and all they need to do to make it perfect is remove shotty/sniper/schwatguns/etc. games with no gimmicks (ninja assassin and the binary rifle/sword game are good action sack games though).

I'm looking forward to the game, but my biggest complaint is that I don't own an XBONE and I won't be able to do couch coop any more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

Games that are only fun if you're good at them are dead, bro. The 99% of us who suck have moved on to games that are still fun when you suck at them, like Call of Duty and Destiny and their respective PlayStation-exclusive content.

I'm actually being serious.

You're 100% correct, although at the same time you left off something. Games that are only fun if you're good at them have grown into eSports. And eSports are huge.

But outside of games designed intentionally for eSports (Starcraft 2, CSGO, etc.) games are now designed so that people who suck still have fun.

Halo is awkwardly trying to court both the eSports crowd and the casual call-of-duty crowd simultaneously.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MickRaider posted:

I love how removing split screen is the worst possible thing someone can do in a video game when so many other games are already doing it and people will defend those other options as being a good idea.

We;ll, I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise that goons don't see the appeal of something that requires friends. :rimshot:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Halo is awkwardly trying to court both the eSports crowd and the casual call-of-duty crowd simultaneously.

I think the warzone/arena split is actually a good way of dividing it up into the two different player groups.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MickRaider posted:

I think the warzone/arena split is actually a good way of dividing it up into the two different player groups.

Yeah its at least nice and cleanly divided which makes things easier to design around those different groups, but it still means that 343i is going to be scrambling to do a lot of different things well at the same time when their last game didn't exactly do fewer of those things very well.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I watched some of the Warzone videos that have come out and if (big if) the actual game can consistently match the moments I've seen in the videos, it will be a great game. When there's a big fight for a key point it looks like absolute mayhem and the exact kind of clusterfuck I want from halo.

That said, I'm hoping matchmaking works for teams because I don't want to hop into matchmaking for one game after work and get rolled by a full team of 12 every time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It would be good if some of the Warzone gameplay vids wasnt the same dogshit player running to the same point and dying the exact same way 5 times in a row.

Although I guess thats a fairly good example of a Halo MP experience for most players.

and I just remembered how fun the railgun was in H4. I guess thats a good thing.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

It would be good if some of the Warzone gameplay vids wasnt the same dogshit player running to the same point and dying the exact same way 5 times in a row.

Although I guess thats a fairly good example of a Halo MP experience for most players.

and I just remembered how fun the railgun was in H4. I guess thats a good thing.

Your 343 hate post quality... is taking a nosedive.It's like, when you type this stuff up is there a voice in your head saying "pull up...pull up... pull up" ?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What was with the audio design decision to add in as much high pitched chirping beeps and boops as possible?

poo poo is loving aggravating to listen to man.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

iSheep posted:

What was with the audio design decision to add in as much high pitched chirping beeps and boops as possible?

That's what the future sounds like dummy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
As someone who grew up on Star Trek, technology that doesn't make pointless electronic borps, beedly boos and beweeoops actually sounds wrong and alarming

343's art style is one of the least objectionable changes they've made to the franchise but I can see how those little noises would get irritating after awhile

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

iSheep posted:

you get used to it.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I love the live action commercials. The Believe campaign for halo 3 got me so loving hype. I doubt this one could be that good, but I still like it a lot.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I just noticed they added a timer that shows when your shield will recharge. That's pretty cool

The promethean grenades also look less useless

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Did they ever release the later halo games on PC and can I get them from a digital store that isn't garbage/dead? I know I can get a disc copy of Halo: CE and it probably will work alright. Halo 2 I heard was only for Vista and won't work with any other OS or something incredibly stupid like that. I've no interest in owning the bone or the MCC. I would like to play ODST since I heard that was decent. I always liked the Halo games, it's a shame that 343 hosed them up so badly :smith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cowman posted:

Did they ever release the later halo games on PC and can I get them from a digital store that isn't garbage/dead? I know I can get a disc copy of Halo: CE and it probably will work alright. Halo 2 I heard was only for Vista and won't work with any other OS or something incredibly stupid like that. I've no interest in owning the bone or the MCC. I would like to play ODST since I heard that was decent. I always liked the Halo games, it's a shame that 343 hosed them up so badly :smith:

Beyond Halo 2 (and excluding the RTS games), your only options are Xbox 360 and Xbox One, although the only thing you really miss out on taking the 360 route is online play with Halo 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowman posted:

Halo 2 works with any Windows version after Vista. (And there were ways to hack it to work on XP, too)

There's also... Halo 3 Online :ussr:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloOnline/ It uses the Halo 3 engine and does run on PC, but its janky as gently caress.

But its mostly just Halo 1 and 2 that are on PC. And the old version of 1 too, not the remaster.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I just remembered how bad the promethean grenades were. What a poop idea. They even made a double kill achievement 9 months after the fact. What a poo poo company.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Booties posted:

I just remembered how bad the promethean grenades were. What a poop idea. They even made a double kill achievement 9 months after the fact. What a poo poo company.

Absolutely everything about the prometheans was stupid and badly mishandled. Their story is loving stupid, their guns all feel bad and are just dumb versions of guns we already had instead of something actually new or creative, and the enemies were all just really un-fun to fight against and existed just to require you to use the new dumb guns that you'd otherwise rather not use.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Welp, pre-ordered along with the dumb Elite Controller because gently caress the stock XBO sticks.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

empathe posted:

Welp, pre-ordered along with the dumb Elite Controller because gently caress the stock XBO sticks.

:psyduck: Why?!

Though I'm not sure I'll be able to justify buying a bone this month. Still considering waiting for report cards to go out and buy one from some parent trying to spite their kid

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

MickRaider posted:

:psyduck: Why?!

Though I'm not sure I'll be able to justify buying a bone this month. Still considering waiting for report cards to go out and buy one from some parent trying to spite their kid

I already have the XBO and I cannot stand the stock controller. The sticks feel loose and cheap as poo poo. It has no weight to it. It sucks.

Outside of them allowing me to use the Xbox 360 controller, the Elite controller is my only option. At least I can use on PC as well and I had Amazon gift credit to cover everything.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Do the sticks from the 360 controller not fit on the xbones?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

empathe posted:

I use FPS Freek Ultra sticks on my Xbox One controller. They're super inexpensive and work great.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

empathe posted:

Outside of them allowing me to use the Xbox 360 controller, the Elite controller is my only option.

If you stream through a Windows 10 device, you actually can use a 360 controller. :getin:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I use FPS Freek Ultra sticks on my Xbox One controller. They're super inexpensive and work great.

Do these replace the entire stick or just the tops?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

empathe posted:

Do these replace the entire stick or just the tops?

They just clamp onto your existing sticks, no dismantling or whatever required. They're made specifically for "stock" sticks of whichever console's controller they're for so a lot of people who get SCUF controllers or whatever get them with stock sticks so they can use these on them correctly.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

univbee posted:

They just clamp onto your existing sticks, no dismantling or whatever required. They're made specifically for "stock" sticks of whichever console's controller they're for so a lot of people who get SCUF controllers or whatever get them with stock sticks so they can use these on them correctly.

Does it make the sticks any tighter? My issue is that the sticks themselves are loose and it's really hard for me to aim properly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

empathe posted:

Does it make the sticks any tighter? My issue is that the sticks themselves are loose and it's really hard for me to aim properly.

No, it definitely won't do that, but the Elite might not either (has this been confirmed at all?). Some people get the clamps to make the stick itself "longer" and get more precise movements that way (since your thumb has to travel further from one side to the other) so I don't know if that helps. Those extensions are cheap enough (like $10-15 I think) that it might be worth taking a chance on them if it'll save you $150.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

empathe posted:

No, they are not tighter. They will take a couple of matches to get used to, but once you adapt to them they will increase your K/D for sure. I love sniping with them.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

empathe posted:

Does it make the sticks any tighter?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly I enjoyed Halo 4 as the first Halo game where the guns didn't sound like toys and the story, while awful, could actually be followed by a sane human being without the help of tie-in novels.

Lack of splitscreen though? gently caress dudes. That practically kills the game for me.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Frankly I enjoyed Halo 4 as the first Halo game where the guns didn't sound like toys and the story, while awful, could actually be followed by a sane human being without the help of tie-in novels.

The opposite of this is true

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

No, they are not tighter. They will take a couple of matches to get used to, but once you adapt to them they will increase your K/D for sure. I love sniping with them.

Yeah, I'm not sure how these would work for me. Need that resistance.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I plan on getting the Elite controller purely for the metal rings around the perimeter of the sticks.

I use kontrol freeks and have eroded the poo poo out of my stock controller. Sweeping around the stick feels like riding a push bike on a dirt track.

I will probably still use the kontrol freeks but attached to the low-sticks on the elite since the pad surface on the freeks is bigger and more comfortable.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

and the story, while awful, could actually be followed by a sane human being without the help of tie-in novels.

As an autist who has read the books, you're so full of poo poo. I couldn't even follow the batshit story of halo 4 and I knew the backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Haquer posted:

As an autist who has read the books, you're so full of poo poo. I couldn't even follow the batshit story of halo 4 and I knew the backstory.

The forerunners made cyborg bodies to defend themselves against the Flood. This tech didn't work and actually created soulless automatons. One of the forerunners, who hated humans because of the wars they fought when humans were running from the Flood, realized he could use this robot stuff to kill the humans and the Flood, and drat the consequences. The other forerunners realized he was an rear end in a top hat and trapped him inside the device that he would have used to kill the humans. Like a billion years later, he tricks Master Chief into releasing him. Master Chief takes care of it because he is a Mary Sue that was programmed by both other humans and somehow by the forerunners to be the peak of human evolution.

There, that is the entire high-level plot arc in a paragraph. There's also some poo poo about Master Chief falling in love with Cortana, which was completely new awful bullshit, and Cortana being a hysteric mess again. Also, high command thinks that the Master Chief, their foremost war hero, is dumb for absolutely no logical reason (like all Mary Sues, all the Master Chief's enemies hate him because they are incompetents who can't stand his superiority).

I certainly didn't say the plot was good. I can't really tell whether it's better than collections of hidden and half-developed riddles from Guilty Spark, interspersed with characters referencing poo poo that is not even discussed in the game, and occasionally some supposedly significant numbering that they also never address.

I don't even really see this as a complete Halo title without splitscreen. It has to have bullshit four-player games where one player is a ball and a chain to whoever he teams with.

• Locked thread